[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is this a good school

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2

File: uti.jpg (23KB, 350x164px) Image search: [Google]
uti.jpg
23KB, 350x164px
is this a good school
>>
Eww bro drink some cranberry juice wtf
>>
I'm getting by as a dealership technician with literally zero schooling
>>
How about WyoTech?
>>
>>16061573
lube tech =/= tech

>>16061541
only if you want to go to porsche mercedes etc and have no connections
>>
I'd say you should think about the alternative first

>local tech school with brand program
for example texas has a school in waco and toyota picks people from there. You can get ASE and have company pay. you do 6 months at a dealer for shit starting pay. then you can do whatever the fuck you want. ask for a raise, leave, kill yourself, doesn't matter. still work your way up

>work as a quick lube guy for years of your life and slowly get promotoed

>go to uti
Probably end up paying more and getting a better 'education' than most tech schools, but in the end you can get the same results with hard work. as >>16061696 said the premium dealers will prob like you more
>>
>>16061555
FPBP
>>
>>16061716
is it worth it if you wanted to be a ford mechanic or something? Or just for porsche and mercedes?
>>
>>16061541
No. It's an overpriced school full of wannabe racers with delusions of grandeur.
>>
>>16062596
This.

I grew up 5 min from a UTI and had some friends go there. It's full of dead enders and beans. Way overpriced while only maybe 1% of grads end up doing anything worthwhile related to the education they received.
>>
>>16062554
Did the whole UTI thing, went for the ford program. You'll get ford certificates through the program. Though the price for the school is shiet. Working on class 8 trucks currently, the only guy in the shop who's capable of doing most of the electrical work. The other guys don't care for testing componets and troubleshooting. Parts swappers. My boss raised my pay from 15/hr to 24/hr. Which is NOT ENOUGH TO PAY UTI OFF YET.
>>
>>16062596
>>16062650
How much is it? Is it a better education than you'd receive at a community college? Is it good for someone who wants to be a mechanic or could you do that with something less expensive?
>>
There's no reason to go to a for profit school. Go to community college wrenching classes at night and get an entry level job at a shop. You might not even like working in a shop anyway, why spend all the money to find that out.
>>
>>16062677
I did the automotive (mandatory if you want to do brand specific training), ford, & truck/industrial and this came out to 40k. Knew nothing about cars when i went in, gained knowledge. They'll give you usefull advice only if you give a shit otherwise they'll just push you through to pass and owe money. Seen a few guys get through which i wouldn't trust with a miniature toy car pass to be "certified graduates." Got a d.u.i. the only reason I'm not working with ford. Filled with retired military fucktards, so many with ptsd and misfiring engines that sound like rifle fire.
>>
>>16062687
but it seems like working cars is the only thing I enjoy, do you still think there might be a chance I wouldn't like it?
>>
>>16062801
>do you know what i would like doing
No fucking idea.
>>
>>16062801
Working on cars for a living and working on cars as a hobby are two different things. Very few people actually like both. Hardly any techs I've worked with still have project cars or enjoy fixing them in their off time.
>>
>>16062821
>Working on cars for a living and working on cars as a hobby are two different things
No they aren't lol. It's literally the same thing.
>>
>>16062830
Its not
Working on your project as a hobby because you enjoy it and want a good finished product is entirely different to being forced to change soccer mums oil all day long every day just to put food on your table
>>
>>16062830
Report back when you've done either for more than a month
>>
>>16062861
Agreed. I've been working on cars since 18. 23 now. Finna graduate a b.a. In international biz. While I like wrenching, it's not my lifetime goal. The experience I gained is invaluable and dealing with the people I work with and gaining their respect has opened doors but not for me
>>
>>16062882
And yea I took off a year and a half to just work various jobs, so no bs about being retarded. In retrospect, I like wrenching when I have the tools but in reality, I rather be guiding
>>
>>16062837
gravy jobs all day long?
>>
>>16061541
It might be alright but really all you need is to go to your local tech school. After "graduating" work as a tire and lube bitch for 3-6 months. With any decent sense at all you should be able to move on to a lower level tech job at a dealership afterwards.

After working in this field for 5 years i personally feel that the best job in this industry is being a fleet mechanic for class 8 trucks.

>hourly pay
>overtime as wanted/needed
>usually don't have to furnish tools
>don't have to deal with the bullshit (bad management and stupid customers) environment that comes with a dealership
>>
>>16062947
How does one become a fleet mechanic? Any special training?
>>
>>16062947
Small or big company? Doing small fleet 15 tractors + ? owner operators tractors. It's a kushy job, but boring, since we maintain our trucks well.
>>16062964
>special skills?
>fabricating
>decent mechanic
>welding
>working a torch
Not much, fleet is just more of a constant work pace with out stressing if customers are rolling in.
>>
I'm an A&P mechanic, I can give another opinion on hobby and work. Every guy who has been in this field long has had a project car but generally speaking with the insanely long hours, most just buy a dream car with their cash and only work on it as needed as long as it doesn't take a long time.

Once you realize how long it can take to do certain jobs on a car and how long your work week is as a mechanic in most any industry you prefer to just having one for show. That said though, I don't prescribe the idea of if you like it as a hobby you'll hate it as a job. You'll hate it if all you're doing is monotonous low-skill shit all day. The best part of being a mechanic is being certified to do anything really and going to different things constantly

As a mechanic you can go many different routes, most guys I see don't like doing the bitch work at a dealership. It's always better to be out in the dirt in the middle of wherever your company needs you and just working all day and not dealing with anyone but your machine and fellow mechanics. Sadly you get a lot more of that as an A&P. I can't speak for car mechanics but I'd imagine it's a bit more dull. Also never work in an overhaul facility etc. too much factory like work
>>
>>16062993
Worked at a cotton gin with about 20 trucks and various machinery like loaders, backhoes, golf carts, etc. Some weeks would work 100 hrs but I had a shit pay rate. The job was pretty easy overall compared to dealership work, and if there was something you didn't want to fuck with you could just take it to a local shop.
>>
>>16063028
What's the pay rate like there? You got OT payrate as well right?
>>
>>16063028
sounds like a good time
>"fuck today, send that shit show to the shop down the street."
With your aquired skills are you looking for more challangeing or staying as is?
I'm currently looking at kellog brown and root, they're looking for people to wrench on bradleys out in the field. Shit sounds fun. Work on military gear without having to enlist.
>>
>>16063049
Military contracts usually pay well, if it's anything like aviation you get great pay and good hours relative to enlisted, but a few mistakes and they let you go especially leaving tools around etc.

Not sure if it's different from aviation. Never done a mil contract but that's what I've heard about them, usually on for a long time off for a bit
>>
>>16063033
I made a little over 40k/yr at $10/hr if that's any indication of the overtime situation.

>>16063049
I've since moved to a dealership for much better pay. We worked on module trucks mostly. They have a chain and hydraulic system that pick up satuonary cotton modules. They operate similarly to a rollback. The majority of work we did was on the body side of the truck and some light duty engine repair and of course clutch and transmission work.

https://youtu.be/-EcVbg1UVtw
>>
>>16063077
Woooooooow that's terrible pay. I make 19/hr and lots of OT
>>
>>16063077
jesus christ man, did you not tell your employeer to saddle up and pay more?
>>
>>16063089
It was good for the situation I was in at the time. I had just finished school and really had very little knowledge. I was classified as a "helper". But I had a really great lead mechanic teach me virtually everything I know about automotive in general. He makes 18ish/hr and makes close to 100k/yr. After a couple of years I moved on to a dealership and doubled my hourly rate but I really make close to the same yearly. Two weeks after I had left they offered me 15/hr but I had to try out the dealership route just to see what it was like.
>>
File: 1471918679332.jpg (766KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
1471918679332.jpg
766KB, 2448x3264px
>>16063077
>tfw make 16.50/hr as a custodian
>>
>>16063055
Never lost a wrench or socket, still have my original tool set that i started with. Are you familiar with any other companies working on pentagon contracts?
>>
>>16063129
Yeah that seems to be very standard as mechanics anywhere, even with certs/licenses you need to cut your teeth under guys who know everything and after a couple years of that you are making your true pay
>>
>>16063121
See >>16063129
I quit. All in all it was still way better than a tire/lube job.
>>
>>16063134
I'm the A&P guy. Generally for us it's General Atomics. I was USN and I work with guys who spent years on the UH-60 and they say those guys do ~8 hour days, great pay, however very strict. You get one slap on the wrist and next you're gone even with contracts. They say guys would disappear a lot due to leaving tools etc. and getting booted.

Being former military the last thing I'd do is a gov contract desu. You need to fully realize what you are signing up for. All I know is General Atomics and supposedly they only hire top of the line guys from schools 4.0+ nearly 100% attendance rate or very experienced people

>>16063132
As a mechanic your pay goes up. It's not uncommon for mechanics to be making 30-40+ an hour as leads and then OT as well.
>>
>>16063155
>you need to realize fully wuat you're signing up for
What would that be? Zero military experience for me though a majority of my friends are in and or retired.
>>
>>16063170
You are bound by your word, one of my instructors did it for a bit, generally speaking all of them will send you overseas to the middle east. You're on call 24/7 and generally no showers etc. and can either have a kushy job or a really demanding job if you're a guy who likes to be clean cut.

The pressure and skills are demanding from what I hear, and generally these guys want at least 1 year contract. If you break that contract and get fired, leave early, do not do your duties, etc. you pay a huge penalty. I always say READ THE CONTRACT it may not be an amazing deal just cause it's government. However, if you're a guy who doesn't mind shutting up and doing your job and not being clean and dealing with military personnel i.e assholes who hate their lives that's good.

I mean, the job market for aviation is great so I don't care. If I got offered something to work on IFVs as an auto guy I probably would. I was thinking of going auto for trucking fleets and then did this cause of interests and way better job market. Most people say they love the military but a lot dislike it, anyways I haven't done any contracts, just hearsay, and if that's like military hearsay you generally hear it in a positive manner even if it was some really fucked up shit
>>
If I want to build project cars for the fun of it, should I go to community college or Bloody and Painful Pissing School?
>>
>>16063190
That was informative, thanks man. IFVs might be the way for me, at least to try it out.
>>
>>16063251
Community college, you can just take the classes you want to and not bother with the degree. Say you just want to learn electrical, you can take that class on the weekends for one quarter and learn it all, you get a certificate too. It's cheaper too, like $1300 a quarter or something for CC.
>>
>>16065360
Bumping for what?
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.