[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Truck slow to start

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1992_ford_f150___all___1_lgw.jpg (379KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1992_ford_f150___all___1_lgw.jpg
379KB, 1600x1200px
Hey guys

I have a 1992 F150. I don't know much about cars but I've been learning more as I do maintenance on this truck I've had for a couple months now.

The problem I'm trying to fix now is it's really hesitant to start most of the time. Occasionally it will crank right up, but more often than not I have to crank it for 1-2 seconds.

Both battery terminals/wires had corrosion. Today, I cleaned them up really well with a wire brush and some cleaner. While cleaning one of the negative wires, I noticed some corrosion down under the insulation, so I stripped it back to find it was COVERED in dirt and corrosion (like as I was peeling it back shit was literally pouring out). I stripped the insulation back another 10 inches until I didn't see much corrosion, and cleaned that whole section up.

The truck still starts the same. Should I try cutting back the insulation on the positive wire, or will it even make a difference? It's probably something else entirely, right? I know there's probably value in eliminating variables so maybe just go ahead and do that and then focus my efforts elsewhere?

Any theories as to what else could cause this problem? Is it even worth fixing since it still starts?
>>
replace the battery cables
rust doesn't conduct electricity well and neither does the air that replaced it once you scraped it all off
>>
Wait... does it crank at the same speed when it takes 1-2 seconds to start as it does when it starts right up?
>>
Who cares? 2 seconds is nothing. The air temperature can do that.
>>
>>16061719
No, when I have to crank it for a couple seconds it turns really slowly.
>>
>>16061743
I'd recommend removing the grounding cables at where they ground and make sure there isn't rust or dirt at the contact patch

Does it turn really slowly before going faster, or just turn really slowly until it ignites?
>>
>>16061752
Starts off very slow but speeds up. Another thing I was reminded of when I went outside to test it just now, about 1 in 20 times I'll turn the key and get nothing
>>
>>16061795
Could be relay on passenger fender going bad...also is this an i6?
>>
>>16061795
when you get 'nothing' do you hear a click once? if so the starter motor is about to go or you might want to check the ground wire attached to it
>>
Sounds like possibly starter
>>
>>16061795
ignition relay
starter relay
starter motor
bad grounds

there. off u go.
>>
>>16061857
This

Check your starter motor, there's a stud on the solenoid that the live wire is attached to. If that stud is loose, the insulation inside has deteriorated and has poor contact.

I've had this happen to me before, moving around in the car would be enough to get it to crank over.
>>
>>16061540
Ford ECU's from that time period don't activate injectors for 1 second after cranking to build oil pressure so you're not dry-starting an engine.

Also, the pressure valve is leaking in your system so your pump needs to repressurize when its off for too long.
Valve in the pressure regulator on the fuel rail or on the pump itself (in the tank).

If it is pressure bleed off, you can tell if you:
Before starting engine, turn key to "on" (not "start"), listen for pump to run for 1-2 seconds, then turn to " off" and repeat a couple times.
This will build pressure back to 39psi.
If it starts normally/easily when you do this, then replace fuel pump and/or regulator.
Fuel pumps usually die around 130k-150k on those fords.

If it actually cranks slowly, replace battery(they don't last forever).
>>
>>16061795
This sounds more of a problem with either a slow/broken relay or your battery being old & taking time before being able to deliver proper power

How old is the battery? If I was you I'd get a mate with jumper cables to hook up to your truck. If it starts just fine several times then it would seem be a problem with your battery
>>
>my truck is slow to start
>I knocked a bunch of dirt off and am about to try cutting the insulation off wires
>I have not tested the battery in any way shape or form

Stop this fucking nonsense
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.