[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How bad is Rear Wheel Drive?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: maxresdefault.jpg (105KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
105KB, 1280x720px
Hey /o/ I'm considering buying a 2008 mustang deluxe. I live in New York and I'm not sure if its a good idea considering the upcoming winter and snow. How bad an idea is RWD in my position? Also do you have experience with RWD in the snow?
>>
>>16061487

rear wheel drive is best wheel drive
>>
If it's anything like the last winter here in NY you'll be fine, last year I was wearing a T-shirt and shorts on Christmas day and only had to shovel twice the whole winter.

If we get the usual foot of snow every few days from November to March (which it looks like, given how cold it already is outside), just make sure you've got good snow tires and know how to drive in the winter (steer, brake or gas, never two+ at once unless you want to go sideways).

Also, expect your car to start rusting away within a few years because of the ludicrous amount of salt the staties put on the road when it snows.
>>
>>16061487
I've live in Canada and drive RWD all year round. Winter tires and don't drive like a retard. You'll be fine.
>>
File: Same Car.jpg (34KB, 347x308px) Image search: [Google]
Same Car.jpg
34KB, 347x308px
>yfw you realize 5th gen Mustangs are just 9th gen Thunderbirds with a different front clip
>>
if you're going to get rwd, get snow tires.
>>
>>16062302
>Not driving like a retard and having fun
>>
>>16061487
Rear wheel drive is a little more challenging than front wheel drive, because scrub mistakes are more dangerous in a rwd, and since most fwd cars have a big forward weight bias, it has good steering and acceleration traction, assuming you only do one at a time.

But rwd is perfectly doable, and if you've got close to 50/50 weight distribution, you'll have a better time if you need to accelerate and steer at the same time.
>>
Just chill out with the gas pedal and you'll be alright.

Flooring it will cause your car to spin out even more in a RWD while in a FWD or AWD car it will more likely straighten out. This is the most important thing to remember because once you cross that threshold there is way less room for error.
>>
>>16061487
Just get winter tires and if you feel the need, ballast in the trunk, I've winter driven RWD for all my driving life and I've had an issue with it.
>>
>>16061487

Get get winter tires and go practice your car's limits in an empty parking lot as soon as you can. It's definitely doable, what do you think people drove in the 60s and 70s when FWD cars weren't a thing. Just use common sense
>>
>>16062622
Do Americans really normally not put snow tires on when it's snowing?
>>
>>16062911
Fuck no, most of us don't actually need them. Imagine playing gta online except the car accidents and niggers are real. Its p fun lol
>>
File: autismcontaminatedthread.jpg (155KB, 700x729px) Image search: [Google]
autismcontaminatedthread.jpg
155KB, 700x729px
>>16061487
>>
RWD is fine, but mustangs are terrible. they cant even stay on the road when its dry.
>>
>>16062929
the real problem is how ugly they are. mustangs a shit
>>
>>16061487
Live in New England, rwd is fine in the snow if you're not a retard who can only mash the gas.

Also, snow tires exist for a reason, invest in them
>>
>>16062911
People that live in urban areas or south of Pennsylvania (with the exception of the mountain areas) won't ever need them, all weathers will work fine for them.
>>
>>16062776
>big forward weight bias
>good steering traction
Yeah, understeer is gr8
>>
>>16063246
Point
Your head
>>
I DDed a Miata on all-seaons through one of the worst winters in Massachusetts history. Did pretty well. Never got stuck, although going around corners was like Initial D even at 5mph.
>>
>>16063580
I drive my miata through the winter. Tires make a massive difference. I picked up some stock rims with near new Chinese tires on them, and put them on the car.

Decent tires = 30kmh through a roundabout with traction

Chinese tires = 10kmh through a roundabout and still losing traction.

The Chinese tires are super fun with dry ground because no power and no grip means I can still drift. During the rain they're actually annoying though. If you're managing to lose traction in third gear in a straight line in a miata, your tires are shit.
>>
>>16062589
9th gen thunderbirds are 4th gen mustangs
>>
>>16061487
This >>16061698

Get a set of winter wheels with some snow tires, swap em out when it starts to snow, put the regular ones back on in the spring.

And if you get something like a v6 Mustang without real sticky low profile summer tires (regular all-seasons on it) you probably could get away without even buying winter tires.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.