[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

winter driving

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 11

File: car-rust-in-the-winter.jpg (63KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
car-rust-in-the-winter.jpg
63KB, 500x375px
Dear /o/

I am potentially moving from California to upstate New York and I hear it snows a lot there.

What's a practical car to own in snow prone areas? is AWD a meme? I know winter tires help a lot.

Please any tips and suggestions on either car ownership or driving in general would help.
>>
Stainless steel or aluminum
>>
Do yourself a favor and just fucking stay in California. Everyone that lives in the Northeast is a deluded retarded that has somehow convinced themselves that it's normal to deal with disgusting weather year round. It's dense, overpriced, and the roads are all shit. I fucking hate living here. Your only options to buy groceries are from overpriced street corner bodegas and there are blacks everywhere.
>>
>>16047651
You dont need AWD unless you're a Yuppie with an arts degree. just get whatever car you want. put GOOD winter tires on all 4 corners and you should be fine.

Driving in winter is pretty much like driving in the rain when the pavement is clear. when the roads are covered in snow just drive carefully with easy throttle and braking and smooth steering input.

If you're driving RWD put some weight in the back during the winter months.
>>
>>16047651
Get yourself AWD or FWD but don't go for a RWD. Also something that has rust proofing.

>>16047674
>RWD is fine
>drives around with cement bags in the trunk when it snows
>>
>>16047651
get a land cruiser
>>
>>16047661
>California not overpriced
>>
>>16047661

I thought niggers hate the cold
>>
>>16047713
Nah, niggers hate the police. Don't you listen to protests anon?
>>
>>16047674
>If you're driving RWD put some weight in the back during the winter months.
Only necessary if you drive a pickup or ladder frame SUV.
>>
>>16047738
To be fair, everyone hates police these days. At this point, they're just the gang that isn't the crips or bloods.
>>
>>16047779
So you a nignog. Friendly advice: don't go to /pol/
>>
>>16047661

That's not a nice way to describe Philadelphia.
>>
>>16047779
It's always been like that. It's just more visible now because you can't pay them off directly.
>>
>>16047779
I don't know how the police is in your area but where I live they are pretty chill.
>>
>upstate New York
Snow tires, FWD, 4WD, or AWD. After about 5 winters, then RWD becomes an option for you.
>>
I live in Southeast PA. I used to live in Philly and now I live in the Lehigh Valley. The winters are rough on just about any terrain, but it's the worst in the non business sector of cities and in the rural, hilly areas.

AWD is worth its weight, especially on the morning after a snowfall since you can just plow yourself out of a snow-in. You should invest in a pair of steelies with winter tires for your drive wheels and a tarp or sheet to cover your car during overnight flurries. People will steal your freshly shoveled parking spot and you will have trouble going up slippery hills. Your car will start to rust 10000000x as fast compared to the west coast and you will hate your life whenever it starts to snow.

Don't come here.
>>
any car with winter tires is fine, even light RWD cars can manage. FWD is easier if you aren't used to sliding. The only situation 4wd/awd helps is getting started, most of those idiots don't have snow tires and can't turn or stop once they get started
>>
File: sad-owl.jpg (41KB, 415x529px) Image search: [Google]
sad-owl.jpg
41KB, 415x529px
>>16047651
> Live in Minnesota
> Haven't had a proper winter with lots of snow in more than 3 years because of global warming or some shit
>>
>>16047661
>there are blacks everywhere.

And many manage to have cars despite no real job income.

The working majority that has net positive tax revenue will become the minority. Then you'll how well the USA works when the majority are on welfare due to their constantly high birth rates, large numbers of children per female, and young child breeding ages. Grandparents by age 35 is truth in many parts of the USA. 1 out of 8 black females is pregnant at age 16 here. No wonder we have so many blacks and almost all of them vote democrat in order to increase welfare and other benefits without working.
>>
File: Theft_Honda.png (18KB, 918x841px) Image search: [Google]
Theft_Honda.png
18KB, 918x841px
>>16047779
>everyone hates police these days.

Very false. The police are pretty cool here in the WHOLE county. I don't count the very few exceptions because you cannot demand that 100% of all people in the world be perfect. But the police seem to have a higher percentage of "cool" than from the average population.

Given that observational experience over the decade, it's safe to say that the police are cool in my entire area. It is the illegal immigrants and DINDU that hate and fear police. Troublemakers hate or fear the police too along with the angsty activists that join in those BLM protests at city hall.
>>
>>16047661
Come to the northwest instead

Just avoid seattle, spokane, portland, and most of idaho
>>
>>16048314
You know who else hates police? People who don't think the speed limit is fucking jesus.

BLM should intimidate traffic cops for taking money from "brothas" or something. Life would be better if I could go fast with just me and the cop on a straightaway, with the cop too surrounded by ten angry fat white girls and one black guy to perform his job-mandated highway robbery.
>>
>>16047978
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/248/081/7d1.jpg
>>
File: IMG_0268.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0268.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>16047651
AWD is cool, but if the snow is deep enough and you need AWD instead of just snow tires, then you probably need an SUV with some ground clearance. I was out hooning in my Explorer a few years back with maybe 6" of fresh snow and an STI was stuck in a parking lot and I just did doughnuts around his ass. Even with 4WD turned off, the Explorers and Grand Cherokees with RWD and the Escape with FWD do better than a lot of 4WD sedans in deep snow.

You gotta be smart and get some practice too. Stay home when you don't need to be on the road, but the first couple snow storms it might be worth finding an empty parking lot at midnight to spin the car around in. That has a lot to do with it. I had a Chebby Cavalier for a year or two up there, it was the 2-door with the little body kit, spoiler, and split 5 spoke wheels. I think they were 17" and the tires were kinda low profile all seasons and I still managed to get where I needed to go in the worst blizzard in 45 years in Chicago while people in much more capable cars were either stuck or afraid to go out.
>>
>>16047713
Nigger hate the cold, but they primary live in dense urban areas which the eastern seaboard and north are full of. Also there being alot of former slave states very close by contributes.Niggers don't branch out far.
>>
>>16047661
Everything this anon says is true. Source: Am an upstate New Yorker. The roads in particular are absolutely shitty depending on where you're moving to.

AWD is a meme because it won't help you stop at all once you lose traction. Snow tires are a must. If you drive RWD for the love of God don't overestimate your car or yourself and end up another wreck off an embankment that the staties have to come pull out with a winch. Everyone in the tri state area (NY, PA, NJ) thinks it's the other two states that can't drive when in reality nobody fucking can.

Wash your car often if you don't want it to turn into a pile of iron filings because the NY DOT loves putting so much salt on the roads you could mistake it for a CS:GO match.

>>16047713
What happens is downstate (NYC and the surrounding areas) take all their blacks and give them housing and a one-way bus pass to upstate, where they then overrun every major city from Albany to Binghamton and everywhere in between. The only cities that haven't entirely fallen to the black mass are garbage anyway, like Ithaca.

Rural areas that don't have blacks usually have everyone addicted to opiates instead.
>>
driving in winter is not that bad
>>
Expect your car to rust away into nothing within 5 to 6 years.
If it is 100% rust free you could get one of those "rust proofing" jobs, they undercoat it and spray this stuff all inside your panels which helps tremendously though it costs over a thousand dollars.
You don't need FWD or AWD but it makes it a lot easier.
RWD is fun but risky, one wrong tap of the pedal and your car is now sideways.
>>
>>16048558
>Rural areas that don't have blacks usually have everyone addicted to opiates instead.

As someone who grew up in America's meth and opiate wasteland and now currently resides in New Orleans, I can tell you without a doubt that I trust pain killer addicted trailer trash over niggers. I was pretty liberal white ally before I moved here. Crack head whites generally keep to themselves if you don't interact with them. Niggers go out of their way to seek confrontation.
>>
>>16048760
Kek. 95% of these SJW cunts who go around calling people racists are white kids who grew up in a sheltered suburb and have never had the displeasure to shop at the same grocery store as those animals.

>>16048706
Depends. There are some fucked up situations you can get into. Sometimes we would get like 1/2" of real wet snow that falls on the cold ground and it can make for some shitty driving. It gets so slick that when you stop at a stop sign, the car will start sliding to the right because of the mild slope so water drains into the sewers. Also frozen rain and black ice a bitch.
>>
>>16048713
>rust proofing
>over a thousand dollars

nigga, what?

Also rust proofing helps even if the car has some rust. If its swiss cheese then don`t bother tho.
>>
>>16048760
>>16048842

I am fortunate enough to have never had a criminal encounter with any black people (they haven't tried to rob me yet or anything) but they make life so fucking unpleasant for everyone else. I visited New Orleans for a week and it's amazing to me that I couldn't walk to the CVS down the street without a bunch of black people asking me for money, asking me for a cigarette, or some other weird shit like "hey buddy, come here for a second, I wanna show you something".

It's pretty bad in Las Vegas too.

I am not racist but fuck why can't these blacks conduct themselves like normal people. It isn't fucking hard and it will make everyones life (including theirs) much more enjoyable.
>>
>>16048909
Where you on Canal street? I actually work in an office right off there and I just gave up every using that CVS with the big rainbow sign. It could be 6:30 am on a Monday or 4:00 on a Friday and I would get hassled for something. Those ones are pretty harmless because there are too many witnesses around there. Take a step a few street into the CBD late at night and you're gonna get culturally enhanced real fast. 5 people have been shot within 1 block of my parking garage in the last 2 years.
>>
>>16048909
>I am not racist
Kek, it's not racist if everything is true.

And there is a difference between black people and niggers. I work with a ton of black dudes and a few of them are straight niggers. One of them was supposed to help me out on Monday and he was completely useless and totally lazy because he wasn't getting paid extra or any immediate reward out of the work.

My route used to be in the hood and it gets annoying as fuck when I'm trying to rush so I can work an 11hr day instead of a 13hr day and some nig at the corners store is waiting to buy his tall boy ot Steel Reserve at 9am and bitching and moaning because he has to wait an extra 30 secoonds while the dude working there counts the delivery.

Fucking people complain that they get treated like shit but it's only because 2/3 of them totally deserve it.
>>
>>16048852
There is "undercoating" and then there's "rust proofing"
Undercoating just sprays the underside of your car. Proofing will put this yellow stuff in all your panels. Basically it would prevent rust everywhere but the underside which is already undercoated.
I got it at Ziebart and it seems to be working good 2 winters into this car.
I've already gone through 2 cars. Watching them rust away before my eyes was fucking annoying.
Fuck this state. Once my finances are better in 3 years I am getting the fuck out of the rust belt.
>>
>>16047657

Falling for the aluminum tin can meme
>>
OP if you care about your car then get a garage and a winter beater.
The rust WILL destroy your car. Fighting it is expensive and time consuming.
You would have to make your own undercarriage washer in your driveway out of an old speedbump or something.
On the plus side you can disregard most maintenance since the rust will kill your car anyway.
>>
What is with Americans and this fear of rust? My shitbox golf mk4 is sleeping outside no matter the weather and is my dd no matter the weather. This is the way it has been for 4 years and is rustless.
>>
>>16047779

>everyone hates the police these days

spoken like a true nigger
>>
>>16049157
You see that car in the OP? That's why and that's what cars quickly turn into in the northeast.

And because people know this, once a car shows any visible rust at all it takes a major hit to the resale value. Almost to the point that it's a bigger hassle to sell it than to keep it.
>>
>>16049072
>aluminum alloys are the same strength as my 4 mil thick soda can

aluminum alloys have more favorable material properties than steel
>>
>>16049157
They must not salt the roads like they do in the US. If you live somewhere with bad winters and don't really, really watch the car and clean and protect everything, the body will start rusting out as early as 4-5 years. Especially with the thinner bodies and water based paints everybody is using these days.

If you ever need to do suspension work on a 10 year old car in Michigan, you better have 3 cans of penetrating oil, a really long breaker bar, and a blowtorch or you will never get anything taken apart.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (66KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
66KB, 1280x720px
>>16049157

soon...
>>
File: xl7_4.jpg (341KB, 2048x1366px) Image search: [Google]
xl7_4.jpg
341KB, 2048x1366px
Former Ithacan (NOT a faggot liberal) here. I'd say the basics are fwd+snow tires, and either driving a car you really don't care to keep in pristine condition, or Fluid Film the shit out of the underside, with particular attention paid to brake and fuel lines. Honestly, plenty of people get around with just decently fresh all seasons and very steady and slow driving, or waiting until the plows have come through.

I'd say a heavier (midsize and up) fwd sedan is the best economical choice. You'll notice the really light econoboxes can get very unsettled crossing across lanes when there's built up slush in between. AWD is a nice to have if you have the means and inclination, just remember there are no free meals, the system has more components to look after and maintain, and will sap some power and fuel economy.

Older German/swedish stuff seems to stand up the best to rust both on the body as well as brake lines and fasteners and such. Flip side of course is all the issues that come with older Euro stuff, so pick your poison.
>>
>>16048923
I don't remember where it was, it was a very populated area though. I think it was a street corner. There was a walgreens near it too.

Those fuckign apes are just everywhere man. They loiter out front of the stores like crazy just constantly causing ruckus. It was such an unpleasant experience, I just went back to my hotel room and drank. Fuck new orleans
>>
>>16049982
Is that a Suzuki? Fuck man, I really want a suzuki car.
>>
>>16049982
That your photo? If so; how do the AT3 tires perform in that snow?
>>
>be Floridan, never seen snow
>go to Michigan last March and I get to drive a friends 4wd Avalanche on a light covering of snow on the road that hadn't been plowed yet
>going 20 mph or less, it feels slippery as fuck out there
>stop for a faraway red light as gradually and gently as I can from 20 mph
>it still skids like a motherfucker and is not stopping at all
>tap the brakes and keep the truck as straight as I can, it recovers and I'm able to stop with plenty of room

Damn, snow is no joke. I saw a ton cars driving at suicide speeds on snowy roads with zero traction, people are fucking insane. Also a ton of people getting towed after sliding off the side of the road. There must be so many fatalities up here, especially over the holidays with so many drunk drivers and snowy roads
>>
>>16050896
Not many fatalities desu, I'm WNY fag and the most you really see are fenderbenders sliding through intersections. Every winter at least one person fucks up bad enough to get boned by a semi on the 86 or the 90 so don't pass unless the road is good and your tires are also. Only had real trouble twice myself, always when I get too big for my britches. Last time was in february, lots of fresh slick shit and a boozencruise; meandered too far in a curve at 40mph and broke my axle and suspension on a guard fence, cut the battery in half. This kills the shitbox. Engine got resurrected in a buddy's chrysler. Other time was two years ago, headed home from NYC in a blizzard, drive all night no problem... Get up to Alfred on the 86W and have to pass 55mph semi to get to work by 10am; got up in the slot and he rolls over the bank on the divider, coating my windshield with gloop and I lost traction trying to get the wipers on. Nearly lost it down a 30 foot embankment trying to keep that shit straight. TL;DR got to work at 11.
>>
File: carl facepalm.png (492KB, 726x461px) Image search: [Google]
carl facepalm.png
492KB, 726x461px
>>16047661
Everything you said applies to California except the weather
>>
>>16047920
I have lived in Rochester for 3 years, and am tired of having days where I must hack at my door with an icepick. Are there any cover brands /o/ recommends? I have a 1998 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (207" length) if that's relevant.
>>
Snow tires help alot. FWD, AWD and RWD can all loose traction and slide, it's more up to the driver's driving skills. If it's just a bit of snow but not that cold temperatures, then get pretty much whatever, if it get's proper cold then having a reliable car that will start no matter the temperature will be a nice thing to have. Also cars that warm up quickly are much better when it's freezing outside. I hate driving my gfs VW jetta during the winter because it's takes forever to build up any heat in the cabin, my ancient volvo on the otherhand gets warm enough to start blowing hot air out of the vent while I scrape the ice of the windshield.
>>
>>16053446
>Scraping ice

I remember not having a garage. Back then I'd start my car first thing after waking up, then just let the defroster work at it for an hour or two.

These days if it's bad out, I just open the garage door and use 4wd if necessary, don't even shovel the driveway anymore.
>>
>>16047651
>>>16047651
>> Live in Minnesota
>> Haven't had a proper winter with lots of snow in more than 3 years because of global warming or some shit
I also know those feels.

952 here. No homo, no area code hookup/vape/weed/fuck activities
>>
File: 3411985056_e5baa9624d_b.jpg (277KB, 1024x481px) Image search: [Google]
3411985056_e5baa9624d_b.jpg
277KB, 1024x481px
I'm living in Northern Europe and raging for years against the salt use on the roads. Learn from the smart Scandinavian neigbhors! They are cleaning the streats properly, using proper winter tires and they actually know how to drive. Why do I have to suffer because of others stupidness?!
>>
>>16049982
>Former Ithacan (NOT a faggot liberal) here.
>implying there are anything but faggot liberals in Ithaca
ENJOY YOUR WINE FEST AND AIDS CLUBS LOSER

seriously though fuck salt
>>
>>16053383
Blast it with piss.
>>
On this subject, is rustproofing a meme or is it actually a good idea?

Apparently the Canadian military tested different rustproofing methods and found Formula 3000 is the best?
https://corrosionfree.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Dept-of-Defence-Report-Highlighted-Text-copy.pdf
>>
>>16053446

Is it a diesel jetta?

My old diesel shitbox barely gets warm during the winter unless I block the radiator with a piece of cardboard.
>>
>>16056043
Nah, I think it's a 1.8l petrol but compare that to the 2.3l petrol in my swedish brick that was actually engineered in a cold climate, completely different experience.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-10-24-19h29m20s877.png (2MB, 1920x1090px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-10-24-19h29m20s877.png
2MB, 1920x1090px
Vermontfag here. The snow is defiantly no joke, it gives driving a whole new dimension and can be really fun and challenging. If you are a habitual speeder just because you feel like you need to be focused all the time, you will have a blast in the snow.
That said, it is very dangerous and requires a unique approach. I've been driving in the snow since I learned so I don't really know what its like to be new to snow driving, but here is my best advice:
Number one is equipment. Your car doesn't have to be intended for snow driving (AWD vs FWD vs RWD) but your tires MUST be made for winter driving. Sure, some people do just fine with All Season tires but they generally have experience or an overabundance of caution on their side. I prefer to give myself a bigger margin of error with good snow tires. Plus you will have more grip in general. You don't want to be that cuck making a while line of traffic back down a hill because you were too frugal at the tire store.
Second to winter tires is technique and experience. When you get there ask your co-workers and friends about winter driving and how to do it. The general rules are brake lightly and well in advance (use the transmission if descending), leave lots of room between you and the car in front, accelerate gently, and turn at a lower speed.
With experience you'll learn how to read the road surface and weather conditions more accurately. In the interim, use caution. I always do a few hard stops and drifts in my neighborhood before hitting the main roads to get a feel for the surface.

Also, here is a snow driving screenshot from my dashcam.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-10-24-19h32m13s998.png (2MB, 1920x1090px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-10-24-19h32m13s998.png
2MB, 1920x1090px
>>16056379 contd.
I would say that the drive-type in unimportant for most winter street driving, people have been driving all sorts of cars in the snow since cars were invented. You'll have to learn how to use the drive-type of your choice, but you will figure it out whatever you choose. Obviously if you are expecting edge cases like accessing backcountry ski trails or going down less-plowed backroads you will need more ground clearance. Besides the obvious SUVs and trucks I'd recommend something like a Volvo XC70 or Subaru Outback.
Lastly, be prepared. You might end up stranded or in a ditch and it might not necessarily be your fault. Always have gloves and a coat, you might be waiting for a tow truck for a while. ALWAYS wipe your car of all snow before hitting the road. Not doing so can hurt your own visibility or even break windshields and cause accidents in the case of ice buildup on cars.
>>
>>16056379
Love turning in sharp in my 05 jeep in 4wd and letting the rear end slide around with all 4 wheels spinning throwing snow like a rally car ... low speed snow drifting... with 4wd
>>
>>16047651
not new york but i hate winter in Ontario too

the roads look so nice and clean after a fresh snowfall and a quick plow until they all get salted and the snow becomes a dirty brown mess.

>Bateman said there is currently no viable alternative to road salt that is better for the environment.
>But with the new millennium came a stark realization on the part of the federal government. In 2001, Environment Canada recommended that road salt be placed on a schedule of toxic substances under the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, because of the harm it does to ecosystems.
>That never happened. Mercer says it was due to heavy lobbying by the salt and transportation industries.
RIP
>>
>>16048325
what's wrong with spokane? just applied to a job there
>>
Find an ice track & git gud
>>
File: 1423706100593.png (356KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1423706100593.png
356KB, 500x500px
>>16047978
Too real. I used to work for a Yamaha dealership a couple years ago.
>we stopped ordering snowmobiles from Yamaha because we couldn't sell them for shit
>in Minnesota

The Cat and Polaris dealers weren't doing too much better with sleds either.
>>
>>16059398
In Banff they use gravel instead of salt dunno bout the rest of Alberta.
>>
>>16048325
>>16060122

There's nothing seriously wrong with Spokane. It's mostly white trash/meth-heads that cause the problems, there's a lot of trashy poor people of all colors and homeless around too though. And even then, it's nothing compared to living in a major city. I've lived in NYC, Pittsburgh and Ft. Lauderdale, FL and Spokane is much easier to live in comfortably and safely.
>>
>>16049157
It's all about shit materials, I have a '05 ford explorer with rust creeping out the rear
fenders and also own a '93 Volvo 940 with just some surface rust underneath the body.
I had both for over 10 years in southwest Michigan
>>
>>16059398
>Bateman said there is currently no viable alternative to road salt that is better for the environment.
PA uses sand and sometimes cinder and that works just fine. Goddammit.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.