[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Steering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 10

File: Mazda_9_3.jpg (53KB, 542x359px) Image search: [Google]
Mazda_9_3.jpg
53KB, 542x359px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5IJL6rwe_8
So why do driving instructors still teach hand-over-hand steering?
>>
>>16045906
I just palm it 95% of the time.
>>
Who cares how, just turn the fuckin wheel
>>
>>16045906
Because it's more difficult to quickly and smoothly input a lot of steering shuffling the wheel instead of hand over hand

Also women simply don't have the coordination to shuffle the wheel and pay attention to the road at the same time
>>
I just use one hand at 12 o'clock, works just fine
>>
File: 1476886958683.jpg (162KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1476886958683.jpg
162KB, 1080x1080px
>>16045906
Hands at 9-3 and fucking leave them there unless you are changing gears, cruising or you drive a car with a slow as shit steering rack and you need more lock than a 180 degree rotation of the wheel will allow.

Anyone who says otherwise should kill themselves. It makes me uncomfortable as fuck riding passenger with someone who is driving aggressively and has their hands in random places all over the wheel, if the back end comes loose and you have both hands at the 11 position what chance do you have to countersteer?

t. not a professional racing driver
>>
>>16046950
This
>>
>tfw power steering so overpowered that you don't even have to grasp the wheel, just place your palm or fingertips on it
>>
>>16046950
This

>13:1 steering ratio
>>
>>16046950
>9 and 3 at all times
What are you driving a fucking plane? Autismo. I cruise with one hand at 12 and I just avoided an accident (not my fault) the other day with quick maneuvering. Git gud.
>>
>>16047591
He said unless you are cruising. Looks like is back to school with you.
>>
>>16047591
Cool story bro
>>
When chillin i just hook an index finger over one of the 5 or 7 o'clock arms on my steering wheel. Its powered so doesn't take much effort to turn. Sometimes i do the douche bag 12 o'clock look at my watch pose too

On my other manual box (not a rack) car it's 9 and 3 most of the time. Sometimes i keep hand on shifter for too long, i like thinking i'm stroking off the car. Acceleration erection ;)
>>
File: 12[1].gif (42KB, 300x100px) Image search: [Google]
12[1].gif
42KB, 300x100px
This is how I drive
>>
File: 1469428915084.png (281KB, 655x926px) Image search: [Google]
1469428915084.png
281KB, 655x926px
As someone who grew up in germany I can just laugh at all this retarded shit americans make up about cars, who the fuck cares how you steer.
>>
File: dsgsdgs.jpg (159KB, 824x638px) Image search: [Google]
dsgsdgs.jpg
159KB, 824x638px
What's the most retarded steering position you've ever seen?

For me, it's my moms. She holds pic related with her left and holds the gearshift with her right, even though she drives an automatic.

When she comes up to a steep turn she puts both her hands at 12.
>>
>>16047831
Gute Fahrschulen kümmerts, du Hanswurst.
>>
>>16047837
I had a habit of holding it at 11 and 5 for some reason till i found out that shit looked retarded and cut it out
>>
File: 1426394878114.gif (432KB, 300x192px) Image search: [Google]
1426394878114.gif
432KB, 300x192px
>>16047837
>What's the most retarded steering position you've ever seen?

People only having one hand on the wheel and of that hand ONLY THE FUCKING THUMB HOLDING IT AT 6.
>>
>>16047840
Driving schooles are having useless shit as ritual rathen than beeing useful.
Do you really look 500 times into every mirrow and window to then proceed to park into a spot.
Or park into spots with retarded rules you learned at the school with your backlight and their car center and retarded shit like that?

The special american made up shit techniques also don't work as well when you drive actual cars where you shift yourself.
>>
>>16047837

I like holding one hand on 12 and having the other on my lap.
>>
>>16047856
>Driving schooles are having useless shit as ritual rathen than beeing useful.

You just described the whole western world.
>>
>>16047846
I did the same actually, shit was pretty comfortable even if it looked retarded, I now usually just drive with one hand on 3 and the other resting.It still looks retarded but fuck it.
>>
>>16047818
Kek
>>
What's people's opinion on thumb hooking? I've heard it can de-glove your hand in a crash and the air bag can fuck up your thumbs. Is it only cars with manual steering that you need to worry about?
>>
>riding shotgun with friend
>female friend
>one handed
>11:00
>palm up
>other hand on phone
>ishouldntbealive
>>
I took my second driving test (FRA Suspension) in a stick. One handed that bitch all the way around the block, bump shifting, granny first take offs. Then again, it was my buddy's boss's Dodge Ram 2500 cummins. Maneuverability test was fun (truck higher than cones, tester couldn't see me hit them).
>>
>>16047890
What do you mean by thumb hooking?
>>
>>16047911

Wrapping your thumbs around the wheel.
>>
>>16047898
How the fuck do you turn at 11/12 with your palm up? Wouldn't you break your wrist?
>>
>>16047921
I mean how else do you hold the wheel? you kind of have to wrap your thumbs around it to get a good grip
>>
File: f6365cb0142.jpg (79KB, 502x376px) Image search: [Google]
f6365cb0142.jpg
79KB, 502x376px
>>16047927

Sort of like this. You can still grip it fine as long as you don't have the grip strength of a 90 year old.
>>
>>16047922
At stoplights she would switch to two hands on top and awkwardly hand-over-hand it.
>>
File: 1474948554494.jpg (70KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
1474948554494.jpg
70KB, 750x500px
>>16045906
>good at performance driving
bullshit. maybe if you drive automatic. but driving stick often requires you to steer the wheel with one hand and change gears with the other. how much turn are you gonna get if you can only do 180 degrees? shuffling the wheel is annoying as fuck, impractical and results in a wide turn radius.
also
>performance driving in a car with steering wheel airbag
>>
>>16047934
Nah man fuck that shit. unless your thumbs are in the blast area for the airbag i dont think thats something that should be worried about, we'd hear about it a lot more. My car doesnt have airbags anyway so i can do all the "unsafe" shit like hand over hand steering anyway
>>
>>16045906
I bought a buick and now I mostly steer with my wrist resting on the wheel at 12

I would qualify that with "while cruising", but it's a buick, so I'm always cruising
>>
>>16046950

what do you need your hands on the wheel for if the back end starts slipping

there's nothing you can do besides slam the brakes, it doesn't matter where your hands are for that
>>
>>16047847
i drive like this on straight highways
>>
>>16047847
>>16048246
one hand at 5 when i'm cruising

9 and 3 when going full racecar
>>
>>16046950
Yeah hold your hands at 9-3 for a 7 hour road trip and let me know how that works out for you
>>
File: doggo.jpg (39KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
doggo.jpg
39KB, 720x540px
>>16048066
>there's nothing you can do besides slam the brakes, it doesn't matter where your hands are for that
>>
>>16046950

This is what racing books tell you to do. And no, I am not claiming to be a racer.
>>
>>16046950
Left elbow on the door with thumb hooked at 9, right hand at 2, come at me
>>
>>16047591
like I said, unless you're cruising, whenever I overtake an autismo doing the 9-3 on a motorway I laugh as it's obviously someone who can't fucking drive

>>16048066
Is this bait?

Go fucking hammer your car into a corner at the limit of its grip and slam on the brakes, see what happens.

>>16048329
Please see as above.

I never said do 9-3 at all times, but if you are treating the road as though its a track (i.e. driving like a cunt) you should absofuckinglutely have your hands at 9-3. Please go drive a high powered RWD car and stamp on the accelerator on the exit of a corner and see what happens when you have one hand on the wheel at the 12 position. Please do this in your own car and not your buddies.

>>16048593
Me neither, just what I've learned in my time driving like an asshole.
>>
>>16045906
because you always maintain grip on the wheel through your entire turn
>>
>>16048066
This is wrong

if your rear wheels are slipping under acceleration or deceleration never let off the gas quickly. This will kill all power to your wheels and your wheels will likely instantly grip and you'll lose control of the car and it will spin out especially if you hit the brakes when you regain traction.
>>
>>16050424
>>16048066
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkb9IbN1gzk

Yep. Seems counter intuitive to let off the power in an 'oh shit' situation, but it could kill you, you're providing immediate grip to the front wheels in the middle of counter steering, this produces the rather obvious effect of you heading precisely where you are steering towards.
>>
>>16050455
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6I_P5a6RC8

happens here too

>floors it without traction control
>immediately loses traction
>goes "oh shit!"
>lets off gas entirely, slams on breaks
>rear wheels immediately grip
>front wheels immediately seize
>spins out and nearly kills someone
>>
>>16050481
Quite how these people can buy a 500bhp car, then decide they want to do a drift without any practice in a confined place around a bunch of people is quite baffling. My first car had AWD and less than 200bhp and I mastered the shit (as much as you can master pinning your foot to the floor and steering where you want to go) out of driving like a lunatic before I attempted (((drifts))) on public roads.
>>
>>16050502
I don't think its so much that its high powered its just the fact that it has a lot of torque that causes it. That and people don't know what to do when their rear end has less friction then the front and they lose control and simply don't know what to do
>>
>>16050481
When you slam on the brakes, the weight transfers to the front, you should be getting more grip on the front wheels and less on the rear wheels, which is what happens here.
>>
>>16045906
Shuffle steering is fucking cancer, dont do this.

You need to keep your hands in one spot on the wheel so you can keep tracking through a turn.
>>
>>16050481
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FomvPMvWVGY

It's really a phenomenon that is incredibly easy to understand even if you spend 10 minutes playing a racing 'simulator' like Forza, or just have someone explain it to you, but in the heat of the moment it would make no sense to you why you crashed.

The trouble is building the confidence to not shy away from the throttle in a loss of traction scenario.
>>
>>16050523
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lift-off_oversteer

You're right, throttle(or maybe just less braking) would have saved all those cars
>>
>>16050481
Best cure for this is for your first car to have the best front tyres you can afford, and shit fucking bargain basement plastic shit for rear tyres. You'll learn to countersteer and work the throttle quite quickly, or else be fucking dead.

Nothing quite matches the satisfaction of switching your awful rear tyres to your front, and realising you can't take a turn at more than 15mph without understeering into the oncoming lane. Especially after doing 130mph in 30mph zones and realising God could have wiped your shit out in a miliseconds notice.
>>
>>16050536
I remember the first time it happened to me. I was going round and round a roundabout at 1am in my first car, seeing how quickly it could go without losing grip. Obviously once you pass a certain speed it starts to click in your head 'I'm driving something that is worth quite a bit of money, I'm being a fucking idiot, this is pointless, if I crash I've fucked everything', so the first thing I did was stand on the brakes to snap out of it and return to safety.

Naturally, doing 50mph and standing on the brakes, the car wanted to spin, this happened but I had the ESP on and it caught it no problem. I shit myself and my heart was beating out my chest, but from that point on I understood weight transfer.

It's like when people say you don't understand the limits of grip in your car until you exceed them and crash. There was a million times I exceeded the limits of grip in my car and got lucky there was nothing in the oncoming lane to crash into.
>>
>>16050549
>Best cure for this is for your first car to have the best front tyres you can afford, and shit fucking bargain basement plastic shit for rear tyres. You'll learn to countersteer and work the throttle quite quickly, or else be fucking dead.
I dunno man I'd rather have the best grip tires so this increases my static friction coefficient to its absolute max so this doesn't happen as much as possible.
>>
>>16050604
True desu.

Putting good tyres upfront and shit ones in back makes you have have an artificial understanding of oversteer. In my car I used to be able to enter a corner under no power what so ever and still have it oversteer as the rear tyres were so bad. While it's extremely fun, whenever there were passengers aboard they would wonder why the hell you were steering so erratically.
>>
>>16048066
Please don't try to drive fast friend

You're gonna point one into a telephone pole like that
>>
>>16048593
Yep, even racing books from like the 80s all knew 9-3 is best for comfort, endurance, and control.
>>
>>16050619
Does this happen on AWD cars like Subaru Sti's if I set the torque distribution to 66% to rear and 33% to the front?
>>
>>16050648
Not sure about STI's, but the car I was talking about was an Audi A4 B6. It had pretty decent (though short lived) tyres on the front, but the previous owner just chucked any old shit on the rear (I bought the alloys off a guy who intended them for a van) as he didn't drive fast and prescribed to the old way of thinking 'best tyres in front'.

A4 B6 had a 50:50 split of torque front to back (i.e. extremely understeery by any AWD measure), plus (mine was a diesel) the huge weight of an engine hanging a foot over the front axle. You'd expect the car to understeer like an absolute motherfucker, but it the rear end was so loose it would just let go without warning at the slightest indication of a turn. Like I said, it make the car extremely lively at low speeds, but the rear end randomly letting loose at 80mph on a country road is not exactly a desired handling characteristic unless you answer to the name Chris Harris.
>>
>>16050686
I was just wondering, I used the sti as an example of a car with a lot of power and torque that might do something similar if the torque distribution was favoring the rear.

Wasn't that the Audi that had a recall so they could put a spoiler on the rear to better help the center of pressure to the middle of the car because people were spinning out at high speeds because the center of pressure, mass and gravity was all at the front?
>>
>>16050703
Nah, that was the TT. An A4 won't oversteer at speed unless you force it to, as described.
>>
>>16050481
Without being able to see the video thumbnail (mobile) I knew that would be a mustang video.
>>
>>16050756
I googled "mustang" and it autocompleted "mustang spinout compilation 2016"
>>
>>16047837
I drive, using my forearms at the 12 postiontion and my hands on the whatever it's called above the intrument panel.
So I can tap along to the music with both hands.
>>
>>16051611
wow that's pretty dumb
>>
>>16047837
I hold the wheel like that when I'm stuck in traffic, but otherwise 9 and 3 all the time.
>>
>>16051616
I don't do it during corners or shit man. I'm not an idiot.
My sister drives with her knees all the time, that's a pretty dumb. Not what I do.
>>
File: obama-cruisin.jpg (34KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
obama-cruisin.jpg
34KB, 640x426px
>>16050382
I do the 9-3 on the onramp sometimes because it's a tight turn and somehow it gets sandy sometimes, sorry.
>>
Whenever I'm cozy and driving not hektikk in my autobox, I do this thing where when turning I only use one hand, catch the wheel with my thumb and flick my wrist to continue a sharp turn, same thing in reverse when coming out of the turn. My brother watched me do it once when I was teaching him to drive, tried imitating it and nearly mailboxed us.

Anyone else do this?
>>
>>16045906
thanks for the kek america

here we call it milking a cow and it's seen as an grandma drving technique
>>
>>16045906
>not having a BMW with an M package.
>not turning the wheel less than 90 degrees for a 90 degree corner

Is this a Cadillac thread?
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.