[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How common are crashes on track day?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

File: 1473746882524.jpg (96KB, 444x468px) Image search: [Google]
1473746882524.jpg
96KB, 444x468px
I signed up for a track event which is tomorrow, but I'm breddy nervous. There are strict safety regulations in place, but I can't help but be worried I'm going to

>run off the track and damage something
>not see someone in my blindspot and hit them
>hit a tall apex and roll my car

I doubt my insurance would cover anything that happened on the track. Should I go, or just wait for the next advanced driving school in the Spring?
>>
No insurance policy ever covers track damage. But then again nobody ever tells their agent it happened at the track.

Yes, it's FRAUD. Not preaching, but it's fraud. It's one reason our rates are so high.
>>
>>16044183
you're probably not going to be fast enough to have a bad crash.

no one will be in your blind spot because there's a point by rule in the beginner groups.
>>
File: 1443328017895.jpg (78KB, 880x558px) Image search: [Google]
1443328017895.jpg
78KB, 880x558px
Really common for corvette's
>>
File: 20160702_171501.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160702_171501.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I worked at The Ridge Motor sport Park in Shelton WA for 3 years. There wasn't a single track day where someone didn't hit something (not counting regular spins and off track). I even took turn 11 (hairpin) too wide and fast in my S60R and damaged my front clip.

I've seen some real solid wrecks though. 911s that slam into the concrete. Brand new Audis with dealer stickers still on them roll into guard rails. Mustangs were the most entertaining. 3800 pounds of Cant-Turn.
>>
File: 1463012328315.jpg (53KB, 640x375px)
1463012328315.jpg
53KB, 640x375px
>>16044226
This
>>
>>16044183
If you cant afford to set fire to your car, and walk away, you cant afford track day.
>>
I worked at one of the bigger tracks in Texas for a few months after I finished college and people very frequently lost control of their cars. We had an insane amount of run off so unless you flipped, it was very rarely an issue. Even the walled sections were completely lined with tires.

You faggots know what happens when you drive a car into a wall of tires? Literally nothing. It's the most insane thing I've ever witnessed. It absorbs 100% of the impact and you just gently bounce back.

Ironically, carfags crash their shit way more often than the motorcyclefags which is kind of funny. You think the people on 4 wheels would do a better job at maintaining control but I guess it just speaks to the type of person that drives cars
>>
Why not just get track day cover, I assume you have that in the states?

Might not be cheap though, depending on what you're driving.
>>
>>16044568
>4-wheeled vehicle that weighs thousands of pounds
vs
>2-wheeled vehicle that weighs a couple hundred
Gee, which is easier to control around a track?
>>
>>16044568
Was the opposite for me at The Ridge. Bike days were always the most stressful. Almost every circuit at least one goes down. Day was guaranteed 1 med transport and one 1hr delay while we clean up fuel and oil off the track.

When bikes go down their pegs and bars always gouged the shit out of the track.
>>
Not OP, but borrowing his thread
Do you have to a sporty car to do track day? Would people look at me funny if I brought my 4 door accord?
>>
>>16044867
No, in fact the people who run the event and probably even a few attendees will respect you for taking out your shitbox to learn how to drive it better.
>>
>>16044867
OP here, I got a ride today in a guys Lancer Ralliart which isn't a sports car by any stretch. All he had done to it was some bolt ons, reflash, and oil temp gauge.

Nobody is going to laugh at what you bring. I saw a fucking Jetta and a Sunfire.
>>
>>16044568
On a bike, in spite of CE body armor and leather suits, the results are always much more "personal".

We tend to be a little more careful because the consequences are a lot more consequential.

>>16044842

Yes. See above. We try not to crash because it hurts.
>>
>>16044518
>$5000 Miata
Way ahead of you.
>>
>>16044518
>go to track day on a motorcycle
>crash and total a three thousand dollar, tops, bike
>tfw live in a first world country so no worries about health care
>tfw boss won't fire me for missing work because I shrekt a bike
>>
Any more input on this? Event starts in 3 hours
>>
>>16044183
Depends on what kind of track, with what kind of people. I have been at track days with cars that cost as much as my house and never seen a crash.
But also been at a rally-cross type of thing with shitty, cheap cars and accidents were happening.
Gotta admit racing in a 2500$ shitbox on mud and tarmac was a lot more fun than going around a track in my friends M5.
>>
>>16044518
That is not really true. I have a old shitty BMW that I track from time to time. It's lot like if you have a crash your car would be destroyed. Old piece of crap has dents and scratches but still holds. Can't wait go to back home.
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,f.u1.jpg (137KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,f.u1.jpg
137KB, 800x800px
>>16044518
>Chad dumps over $5k into 2010 Focus
>Constantly shits on other members because "muh Focus racekor"
>Chad decides to take the racekor to a track day
>It's wet
>Chad totals racekorFocus on track
>No insurance payout
>Tries to make money back parting out entire car on Facebook selling page for next 3 months

Fuck there are some hilariously stupid people out there.
>>
>>16044183
They're extremely common

>not see someone in my blindspot and hit them
You will not be in anyone's blindspot or have anyone in your blindspot during cornering, you will be black flagged if you try to pass in a corner.

>hit a tall apex and roll my car
You could conceivably dig in sideways on off track soft ground and roll your car, but this is rare even for people who are actually going fast.

>run off the track and damage something
This is literally a complete certainty unless your car is at stock rideheight. You will do this eventually if your car is low.

>>16044613
>bikes are easier to ride fast than cars are to drive fast
T. someone who has never done either one

If you honestly think going fast on in a car is harder than going fast on a bike you need to stop playing video games and go buy yourself a sportbike and start winning races.
>>
File: shannonville.gif (23KB, 694x900px) Image search: [Google]
shannonville.gif
23KB, 694x900px
This is the track btw
>>
There is a local track by my house; nobody pays attenetion to the "race cars" but loves it when Cleetus is out there with an old van and he's getting sideways
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.