[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are we reaching a point where lap times don't matter?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 12

File: 1474379629326.png (585KB, 631x717px) Image search: [Google]
1474379629326.png
585KB, 631x717px
It used to be that top speed was the thing. After the Veyron and maybe the Venom, that's not really the point anymore. Now it's all about lap times...

Aren't we reaching a point where we can finally admit lap times don't represent the worth of a car? Mustangs and Corvettes are now setting times that used to only be set by the top supercars.

An F40 can't beat a Camaro around aro track anymore, but we can all agree it's a 'better' car.

All arguments are boiling down to less than a second set by a superhuman racing driver...

Anyway, TL;DR: What's the next thing? In the early years it was design, then speed/racing, then top speed, now tracks... What will we go for next? How much longer can we push? There's no way you can ever physically lap the Hamburgerking at 4 minutes, is there? Or will we push until Miatas do under a minute at Spa or something?
>>
>>16043453
I want to see luxury car makers get into a decibel war. Who can make the most isolation chamber of a car.
>>
>>16043453
Lap times never mattered. You're just growing up.
>>
>>16043470
I mean I never cared much. A lot of my favorite cars were never the fastest thing out there. Like the Zonda, Karma, or Barracuda.

I say it because it seems that's what the hot topic is both here and in general. Top Gear with their test track for example.

Why do I care that the Fiesta is x.xx around a track if you've done it in an Atom?
>>
Wouldn't a lap time depend slightly on the driver?
>>
>>16043474
Friendly reminder that the GT-R NISMO doesn't even turn as well as an American leaf sprung lolcantturn muscle car.
>>
>>16043487
Lap times are favored by benchrace shitposters. not actual aut/o/bots.
>>
File: C6_Z06_25_red_svga.jpg (131KB, 800x532px) Image search: [Google]
C6_Z06_25_red_svga.jpg
131KB, 800x532px
>>16043453

Pro tip
>they never mattered

Which is why I'll always take a tire smoking manual zo6 over the more sterile GTR. Because it's FUN, the whole purpose of sports cars.
>>
They remain objective measurements of a car's perfromance.

By all means if you prefer the car that is 0.0303043 seconds slower, go for it...
>>
>>16043543
fun is a buzzword it means nothing
>>
>>16043453
Never mattered for me. Even I car games I prefer to drive something I like rather than something that's fast.
I own a Miata, and I rather want to drive it than the new NSX.
>>
They never really mattered, fucking benchracer faggots' opinions were never worth anything
>>
>>16043470
>Lap times never mattered. You're just growing up.
>assmad gm fangirl and/or jap cuck

Lap times have always mattered.
>>
>>16043765
Why? The car that is more track oriented will be faster on the track, and the car that's more street oriented will be better on the street. Just get a fucking track toy if times is everything you care about. Also one car can be faster on one track and slower on another, depending on the tracks layout.
>>
>>16043453
99.5% of car buyers don't give a fuck about lap times. And the .5% that do will never be capable of driving a car at that speed anyway. Bench racers are worst form of humanity anyway. Fucking posing faggots that have never been on a race track and think beating a Camaro to next stop light makes them qualified to even discuss what high speed driving and car control actually means.
>>
>>16043453
Lap times of one single guy doing one single lap once never mattered.
>>
File: DSC_0163.jpg (2MB, 2896x1944px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0163.jpg
2MB, 2896x1944px
lap times have never mattered for a road car
>>
>>16043453
>There's no way you can ever physically lap the Hamburgerking at 4 minutes, is there?

a 650 horsepower 1400 lb F1 style car can do it in about 5 minutes and 30 seconds according to a simulation. A car with more power and active aero should be able to get under 5 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP97n7odzl4
>>
>>16043453
So because cars you don't like are able to turn better times than cars you like, lap times don't matter. Fuck off
>>
>>16043453
The only thing lap times are really useful for is dick-waving and internet pissing matches....
>>
>>16043823
You're usually a gaywad, but I agree with you here.
>>
The only situation that lap times matter is in racing. Not when going on a track day, not when buying a car, not when comparing cars. It's stupid. Stahp.
>>
>>16043809
Beating a cumaro is so easy tho, 1st turn and youl be leaving it behind. You can even do it with stock mazda 3
>>
>An F40 can't beat a Camaro around a track anymore, but we can all agree it's a 'better' car.
Is it, though?
>>
>>16044845
Anything is better than a camaro
>>
>>16043550
Even in forza I pick a shitbox

More fun
>>
>>16044847
This
>>
>>16043550
Have you driven the new NSX? How can you assume a shitbox miata would be more fun to drive?
Retards like you are cancer of auto enthusiasm. Try hard wannabe le supreme enthusiasts.
>>
>>16043549
It does when you can actually drive and don't shitpost about lap times
>>
>>16043550
So you like a fag car. Who cares? This is why most fags are hated, they cant keep it to themselves and feels the need to be a flaming fag
>>
>>16044845
I think the point being the F40 is more visceral. Yes a modern Camaro is objectively better, but what really matters is the driving experience.
>>
File: 133180.png (321KB, 552x533px) Image search: [Google]
133180.png
321KB, 552x533px
>>16044869
Sure thing buddy.

>being slower and get overtaken is fun

Cuck, you're not an enthusiast. You dont belong here, go back to r/cars
>>
Apparently it doesnt matter when you have s shitty car like a miata for example
>>
File: Smithers1.jpg (24KB, 553x315px) Image search: [Google]
Smithers1.jpg
24KB, 553x315px
>>16044884
lol. whats with these fags and their numale type bullshit?
faster is better always. they just making excuses for why they would rather drive around a parking lot at 20mph in a 80hp girls car instead of blasting down a back road at over 160mph in a supercar. because they are pussies!
>>
>>16044896
>>16044884
It's not being slow that's fun, it's actually getting feedback from the car. If anything, you're the cuck, as you'd prefer for a machine to drive your car for you.
>>
>>16044928
theres no feedback from the new nsx? please share with us your in depth driving experience of the nsx please.

>huur duur if it doesnt feel like its going to rip apart at any speed above 50mph like my miata its not a fun car!
literally kys cuck
>>
>>16044140
At that point you'd have to go self-driving because the g-force would be too great to maintain control.
>>
>>16043453
Too many cars have got too much horsepower to be easily exploited for road driving and yet they aren't as engaging to drive as their predecessors. Unfortunately driver engagement is something manufacturers can't quantify to promote to casuals so they're just going to keep cranking up horsepower and improving acceleration times in order to impress.
>>
Its because marketing benchracing is easy.
>muh numbers
>muh lap times
How can you sum up a cars driving experience in just a few words or letters? You fucking can't.
Benchracing should just be banned, like seriously.
It's all just trolling at this point. When has this garbage ever produced fun or interesting content? Never, its just shitposting supreme.
>>
>>16044882
That may be true but it becomes laughable when spouted by children who've never driven anything over 120 hp about GTRs vs corvettes and sneks as if they know first hand how enjoyable any of them are to drive.
>>
The next big thing will be doing it all over again with electric cars. What electric car can hit 200 mph and still have a bit of charge left over. What electric car gets around the track quickest. Environmental regulations are driving everything this way
>>
>>16045167
>muh fun
Damage control
>>
>>16044928
Apparently you're so faggy that you can 'only' feel feedback from your trash gayiata
>>
>>16044866
It's raw, manual and light. The NSX is a heavy computer on wheels.
>>16043765
>>16044871
>>16044884
>>16044896
If being fast is everything that matters, then how come that the king himself spends all the time and money on his old shitbox instead of a "better car"? He's a race car driver, so he has experience with some really fast cars, and yet he loves to trash his old shitbox on the touge and getting beaten by Civics.

Feeling fast > being fast
>>
>>16044855
Same here
I'll rather lose with a RWD shitbox pushing it to its limits than win by understeer with some shitty GTR, STI or EVO

RWD + N/A + Lightweight, how the make a perfect car.
>>
File: deadly memes.jpg (48KB, 594x334px) Image search: [Google]
deadly memes.jpg
48KB, 594x334px
>>16043453
>Are we reaching a point where lap times don't matter?

No. You're just growing older and realizing that parroting lap times is the epitome of benchracing.

Younger people and those that lack a sense of pragmatism when it comes to car ownership and traffic laws still care very much about lap times, top speed, 0-60, etc.
>>
>>16046817
And why would you care. Has anyone here even gone max speed in whatever they have. I know my car will get to 150 but i aint never gonna fucking do it. And i sure as hell aint ever going to take a turn like a track car ever while driving around.
>>
>>16044690
Actually I would like to see lap times extend to new corollas and hyundais and work utes and vans, it would be fucking hilarious when somebody buys a lemon fiat or a fiesta over a camry because it has a better lap time at burgerking or on the touge. Then have middle-aged normies screaming at each othe at traffic lights and drag racing a kia and a diesel vw polo.
>>
>>16043470
/thread
>>
>>16043549
Fun means whatever you want it to mean. It's the single most important thing for a car enthusiast.
>>
File: 1322686250085.jpg (70KB, 600x722px) Image search: [Google]
1322686250085.jpg
70KB, 600x722px
>An F40 can't beat a Camaro around aro track anymore, but we can all agree it's a 'better' car.

The F40 is almost 30 years old.
>>
>>16043453
I'm not a robot
>>
>>16043523
>slightly
You mean greatly. No benchracer on /o/ would be able to get anywhere near the lap times they shitpost about
>>
>>16043453
We've reached a point where CONTENT doesn't matter, certainly. All I see is shitty bait threads, meme frogs, and spam.
>>
File: Sm jump.jpg (91KB, 642x470px) Image search: [Google]
Sm jump.jpg
91KB, 642x470px
>>16043543
this man is right. Fun is where shit's at. If that means throwing a 20 year old suzuki swift down a forest road at breakneck speeds, setting your tires on fire with that Z06, or doing some skids in a toyobaru or something. Doesn't matter

fun matters.

I mean at the end of the day, we don't drive cars because we have to as much as we drive because we like to drive. Make the most of it
>>
>>16044884
>He thinks car people trash talk other people with slower cars.

I had to use my cousin's alfa 33 once for some moving and I ended up in a highway stop talking to a dude in an RS4 avant. Super chill all the way and interest to my cousin's car a lot, even it had a measly amount of 150 hp.
>>
File: images.jpg (6KB, 294x172px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 294x172px
Lap times don't matter in the real world, kids (unless you actually race them). In real life sports cars, fun and feelings matter.

Take that shitty Miata vs Civic comparison, I dare you to try them both, either on highway, city or countryside and tell me which was more fun. Rwd roadster or 2 seconds faster shitbox. I double dare you kiddos.

You just can't take seriously this childish dreams of driving fast. Remember that literally 50% of /o/ doesn't even own a car.
>>
File: h02__1_.jpg (699KB, 781x1024px) Image search: [Google]
h02__1_.jpg
699KB, 781x1024px
>>16044690
...?

I mean I really do hate the radical, but I like the GTR, Vette, 918, P1... but I like them for what they are, not because of the times they set.

Every car has a story or a theme, that's what makes me like them.

But that's not the point of what I'm asking, I guess I took the bait.

>>16046885
Oh yeah? Then select all pictures of knives.
>>
>>16043453
to my mind repeatability is a problem
some cars are fast at the cost of being very twitchy
>>16046914
going fast is one thing
not slowing down is entirely another
>>
>>16046595
Who cares about that fag?
>appeal to authority
>>
>>16046963
You and you're dickcheese cousin are not enthusiasts. Fuck off
>>
>>16044845
What you don't automatically assume a clunky unreliable Italian race car that will turbo lag you into the nearest ditch if you break concentration for a second isn't inherently a vastly superiour car to something you can DD in all weather?

F40s are cool but you don't buy them for any objective reason anymore. That's just how old cars are.
>>
>>16047307
sure thing burger.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.