[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Car Salesmen - What think?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

File: car-salesman.jpg (35KB, 550x307px) Image search: [Google]
car-salesman.jpg
35KB, 550x307px
Been offered a job as a car salesman.
100% Commission pay only.

Anyone on /o/ ever done car sales?
Tell me about it.
Good?
Bad?
>>
>100% Commission pay only
>>
>>16040435
lol can you imagine walking into this with no clue
>>
>>16040314
I summon thee oh great LPG

But 100% commission sounds like some bullshit damn, you better be a good fucking salesman
>>
>>16040444
lpg died
>>
>>16040314
What kind of dealership
>>
>>16040314
Maybe if you're getting a quarter of the sticker price. Otherwise you're better off applying at McDonald's.
>>
File: MTQxOTg2MzAyNzEwMzI2OTgw.jpg (616KB, 2144x2894px) Image search: [Google]
MTQxOTg2MzAyNzEwMzI2OTgw.jpg
616KB, 2144x2894px
>>16040454
Toyota
>>16040444
Yeah. I don't like the idea. The 2 guys I've talked to there keep telling me they'll train me how to sell and ill make so much money blah blah.
I see the potential to make good money IF I'm good at it. But I really want a steady paycheck. I know I guy from school who's at a different dealership who's a manager of some sort who started off in sales, making bank.
I kinda want to do it to get some inside info on the whole car sales industry and who knows, maybe make good money. But I don't want to waste time either.
>>
>>16040501
>IF I'm good at it.
Forget about it.
>>
>>16040501
>The 2 guys I've talked to there keep telling me they'll train me how to sell and ill make so much money
no they wont lmao
they want you to be shit so they can get more sales for themselves
>>
I don't know shit about being a car salesman, but doing something you've never done before and getting paid 100% on performance with a bunch of people with more experience in the same situation seems like a bad idea.
>>
I may be able to help. I sold Chevrolet in Arizona, and Subaru and Colorado. Both good brands for those markets. Toyotas are easy to sell. If you are in California, I would only sell Toyota. But I don't know where you are so whatever. Toyotas sell themselves. They are designed (from a sales standpoint) be the car with the fewest question marks for people who know nothing about autos.

Just to make sure you understand, because I'm sure a few guys have started sales without knowing this. No dealer pays you a commission as a percentage of the sticker price. You are paid a percentage of the gross profit. IE if the dealer cost is 24k and you sell it for 25.5k you get maybe 20% of that 1.5k dollar profit, this is called the "front end". (not including , duh, and anything the finance manager sells those are back end profit, you don't get any of that usually) Note the model we are talking about here probably has an MSRP of 26.9k. Your job is essentially to minimize the discount your manager has to put on the deal to sell the car. There is no (non luxury) new car brand that sells above MSRP. Also the national average profit on a new car is -900$, meaning you are not payed a percentage of anything but rather a "mini" and you are lucky if that is north of 100$. So most of the time, if you get a costumer who has emailed around to several dealerships, and used truecar and all those great pricing tools, the sales price will be just a little bit higher than the dealer cost and its a defacto mini (50% of costoners are this) If you get an uniformed customer you may only have to discount the car 1500 to 2000k off of MSRP and the gross will be about 1k. (that's about 250 in your pocket and 30% and shrinking are this customer). If you get a grinder you will discount the car well below dealer cost (but not including holdbacks, unless your manager is having the shittiest day ever) and you will have to discount the car 3-5k just to make the guy happy and keep him from walking.
>>
Used cars are a different story. Say your manager buys a used car for 17k, they clean it wash it, put tires on it, change the broken windshield and try and get the funky smells and stains off the seats. Then your manager puts it back on the lot for 19,995! Great deal right? Wrong. The trade value for that car kbb and the like all put that car 15.5k. But your customer wouldn't take less than 17k and kept pushing and threatens to make your new car deal fall apart if he got one dollar less. Ok, we need the new car sale for the end of the month, maybe if we can get close to the retail value of 18-19 we will still be ok and make a little money. So they do all the work and pay all the detailers and windshild and tire vendors (service department) about 1k to make the car "front line ready" great! You can still make your 20% commission on that profit of 1k if it sells for 19.9k as planed. Haha, you didn't think it would be that easy did you. So you show it to a few customers and guess what they all walk in the lot and offer you 15k. Why? That's what KBB says its worth as a trade. So finally your manager relents and lowers the price at week 3 to cover just the cost of the vehicle and reconditioning to 18k. You show it to another few customers who all offer between 13 and 15k. Why are they offering less now? Because some percentage if used car customers always offer 5k less, no matter what the current sticker price is. Ok so finally you find the one guy who is buying a car for his daughter and he asks us to discount it to 16.9k because (reasons he told his wife he wouldn't pay anything more) and boom, enjoy your mini. More than half, some months up to 2/3 of used deals and up a wash. Enjoy that 100$ mini. But sometimes if all the stars are lined up, and your manager didn't lose his head and pay too much for the trade, and you get a customer who likes the car, or its a rare type of car (low miles) you can expect about a 1 to 2k front end profit and you get your mini.
>>
>>16040447
The niggas around, my trips should summon him for sure

>select all cars
>>
Your managers and co workers will all be assholes. Well not really. I mean they started off as nice guys like you and then they had their teeth kicked out by doing car sales and so they grew fangs. Amd after getting butt fucked by enough fosters they became jaded and lost all hope in humanity. You will loose all faith in humanity. But of you come to 4chan enough you should have too many of those silly ideas left. At first you wont understand the dark humor and fatalistic life if a car salesman. In time you will understand every singe one of them makes jokes about killing themselves. Because even the guy selling 20 cars a month is not immune to the pressure of maintaining that performance. They shit tier guys selling 8 or 9 cars really don't know what they are doing wrong. Every one in the middle is just trying to survive and you will find out it really does feel like every customer you talk to you are begging for your life. Your managers will try and absorb as much shit that is rolling down the hill before it piles on to you but even they cant handle all the bull shit from corporate and from customers and the take it out on you from time to time. After the first few ass chewings you won't be mad about it, you will feel bad for them because damn the crown lies heavy on the head. The next night he will take your team out for beer and pizza to say sorry. But the manager will never actually say sorry. Now get back on the fucking phones and set some appointments. It's Friday god damnit and you better have three appointments for Saturday or God help you, you will regret it. Also if swearing and dark humor offend you or you can't work in an environment where everyone is talking about and literally ripping off heads and getting fucked in the ass, you might not enjoy the work place environment. Car sales is like wolf of wall street except less cool and everyone wants to kill themselves.
>>
>>16040501

>Hey anon how's it going? Gonna sell that corolla to that lady that just walked in? Let me get that title for you!
>takes half your commission for "helping with the sale"
>You can't do shit about it because he has seniority on you
>>
You'll be working 6 hour weeks, making bank, and hating life. Seriously.

I worked at a Toyota dealership as a tech. Had a salesman friend that I'd smoke cigarettes with. He was the most laid-back and straight forward guy I knew, but he never had freetime.

He made bank though. Was always fighting for sales leader with this other saleswoman. Those two made the dealership more money than we did in service. GM basically did whatever to make them happy. But it's hard work.

He told me the key to being a good salesman was
>Never play any games
>Keep the numbers as simple and straightforward as possible.
>Never downgrade another product if they were looking at multiple manufacturers.
>Don't ever assume anything about a customer whether positive or negative.
>Remember names and back stories.
>Know your product and what each trim levels has to offer, and how to get the customer exactly the options they want as cheaply as possible.
>Don't ever expect a day off unless it's a vacation because there's always a customer ready to come back when you aren't there.

He told me if I could follow those rules, as well as learn a few tricks of the trades on my own along the way, I'd make bank.
>>
>>16040607
>>16040667
>>16040716
thanks for posting. im not a car salesman but that was eyeopening
>>
>>16040667
Very interesting to read, not op. I thought used would be more lucrative for salesmen.
>>
>>16040734
Whoops. Typo: 60 hour weeks***
>>
>>16040718
Trust no one haha. Or this will happen to you. Some guys, there are two or three at every store will try and jump on as many half deals as they can. You will be able to spot them soon enough. The funny thing is, you may end up busier than you can handle and have to split a deal. It's taboo to try and work with 2 customers at the same time. (how would you feel if you were the customer) the funny thing is these guys are usually pros at jumping in and still getting the car sold. It's sometimes a necessary evil. Most guys would like to sell a whole car for them self. They usually wont want to help you. Get most if not all your advise from these guys.
>>
>>16040734
This person knows. That green text will save you.
>>
>>16040741
It can be. Used is supposed to be more lucrative for the dealership and by logical extension you too. But manufacturers offer you small spiffs for each new car you sell, knowing that you probably are getting a mini for it. Thus doubling your money on the average new car looser. If you have a great used car month you can sell 10 used cars and make as much as you can selling 20 new cars. Bit it doesn't work out that way.
>>
>>16040447
When and how?!?
>>
The customer is usually very wrong about a great many things and you can't spergburger all over them and correct them. You will become an expert in diplomacy and negotiation. If subtle communication is hard you will find it hard to talk to handle some customers. Correction, you will always have some customers that are hard to handle. If you are determined and can make it work no matter how idiotic a customer is being. You have to understand that most people are scared to the point of shitting themselves just to walk on the lot, nevermind sign for that huge financial transaction they desperately want to make deep down. Because lets face it, cars are sexy and people want them. Don't forget that. You are selling sex, lifestyle, youth, and dreams. All that in a box on four wheels. Watch mad men and learn that people deep down are searching for something, a meaning to life and love, and the best way to find it is to drive there in your dream machine. You want to float through life take the bus. You want to become the master of your destiny and space and time? Buy a car and don't look back. It's powerful how deep down people will set aside their rational selves and make an irrational decision like buying a new car. I mean we could all get everywhere we need to go in 20 year old jap shit boxes. They should just keep making 1997 civics until the sun goes dim right? But that new car smell, the fresh suspention, the new quieter ride, the power of the new engine. It makes the old men feel like young men, and the young men feel like gods. There are alot of things to know about selling cars but know your enemy, er I mean your customer first. The rules, the laws, the tricks of the trade l, those come with time. But remember that cars are sexy and people want them very badly and you will have alot of confidence that you didn't realize you needed and you will sell scar on your first day on the floor.
>>
File: 1475364222797.jpg (45KB, 500x391px) Image search: [Google]
1475364222797.jpg
45KB, 500x391px
>>16040607
>>16040667
>>16040716
This has been very informative. Thank you.
So are salesmen just canon fodder for the GSM and all the other big wigs?
>>16040754
>>16040779
>>16040734
So basically all the other salesmen are my enemy. Is it in my best interest to not even make friends with them?
>>
File: Longpost Guy Summoning Ritual.jpg (12KB, 251x201px) Image search: [Google]
Longpost Guy Summoning Ritual.jpg
12KB, 251x201px
>>16040444
>>16040447

We must perform the summoning ritual.

Dealership. LPG. Credit. Tales. Used car.
LPG, I summon thee!
>>
>>16040852
No, your GSM is just trying to survive. I am sure there are shit ones out there, but alot of them are just trying to get the job done the GM asked him to do while keeping his sales force reasonably happy and making money. If he is a good guy he wont come down to cut your throat unless he has to because you screwed up really bad. Most of the time its just the pressure of the job. GMs if they are doing their job well, you shouldn't see or hear from them more than once a week. If you do, that store is fucked and likely in trouble or he will micro manage all the good desk managers away, best to just find a different store.

Also, its imperative that you make at least some sort of connection with everyone that works there, managers, service techs, and especially the other sales people. If you can't find some common ground with them, how do you expect to be able to do that with customers. You won't like all of them either, but its in your interest to keep them all as close as possible.

There was a guy at one store who hated me at first. Mostly because we had to share a desk when I first started and everyone else was already sharing. (store was getting a remodel). Anyway anytime I left a set of keys or a sales brochure or anything on the des he would take it to the back office and dump it in the corner. So I told him off one time to show that i wasn't going to be cucked but I made it really clear that I would work hard to make sure I wasn't in his way. Turns out he loves racing video games and watching road racing, we both had Miatas at one point and a bunch of other stuff. After a few weeks we were working friends and the desk problem sorted it self out. It doesn't do you amy good to have enemies. Try and connect with everyone and you will never be short of favors when you need them.
>>
>>708839202
Ask 14% commission and a draw against ur commission of (insert minimum $ u need to survive). I would recommend 100$ a day. So this means u get 400$ a week to do a job. U get a sale, they draw against it.

Nways. Sales jobs depend on what u r gonna do. The onus is on u to work. If u do well, u will be amazing.
At the very least it's a great skillet to have.

Say yes. Let them train you. You become smarter and better. If u try to get sales really hard but u can't u bounce. If u do good u stay.

There is no real I'm between in sales.

Also. This will tell u if u r a pleb, or not.
>>
>>16040848
Fuck man. Do u sell for Porsche? That sounds like the biggest load of crap I've ever heard, but also sounds like the greatest training material for young sales plebs.
>>
>>16040920
It is a load of shit, that's why it works. This is sales, not civil engineering. The truth is people can buy a car for alot of reasons. Sometimes its because they absolutely have to. But more often than not, its because they want something. Mostly people are trying to find happiness and excitement. I have found that focusing on that, the excitement and the fun or the vehicle is much more effective than focusing on cold hard facts like price and discount. Those always play a role but you have to make them believe they want this car, that this car can add to their happiness or they wont lay down no matter what discount you give them. Make the process fun and make them believe in you and your brand that the future can be anything they want it to be. I know it sounds hoaky as shit but you don't even need to say it, you just give them a glimpse and a hint and their ego and imagination does the rest.
>>
>>16040882
Did LPG ever do that final secret-stories thread he said he would do? Stories he couldn't tell while he was employed
>>
>>16040903
So there is always like 3-5 salesguys standing around outside and when I pull up 1 is at my door before I can get out.
How is that decided? They go in an order? They draw straws? Paper rock scissors? Whoever steps first gets it?
>>
>>16040903
What vehicles bring the most profit? The lowest MSRP ecoboxes or the top of the line flagship vehicles?
>>
>>16040961
It's called calling up.
Who ever calls the car coming in loud by color or name of car is the salesman who is going to help you. It's old school.
I have never seen high end dealership do this.
>>
>>16040977
Lowest model will have profit of 500 or less and that is at msrp
>>
>>16040607
>>16040667
>>16040716
So I'm searching general car salesman bullshit and I keep finding this "Four Square" sales method.
Is this a universal tactic?
Basically it seems like you and the customer lay out the figures in play, you had it off to a manager and they compute-up some bullshit figures to make the customer less than happy. This allows you to toy with their heart strings within a set parameters the manager has given you. You get more figures out of the customer and go back to the manager who presents a deal that more within the realm that the customer wants(could have done it from the start but that wouldn't have raised suspense) and once their happy with the new figures and they feel like they're getting a deal they sign and everybody's happy.
Is that a crude way to describe it?
>>
You will work harder than you ever wanted to. You will WANT to work harder than you ever imagined you would. If you get the pleasure and honor of selling a car on your day off you will make sacrifice to the car sales gods. 12 hour days are common when you are really busting ass. 6 days a week is normal. You better get comfy but nice looking shoes and keep em clean and polished because you will be humping all up and down that lot hour after hour, day after day, and you still have to look like a financial professional while doing it. Most customers still expect you to be a sleazy liar car salesman. If you can over come that they will offer to introduce you to their daughter. (true story). Be a straight shooter and treat everyone with respect. Please and thank you, and sir and madam (or miss) no matter what. Sound like a professional and get results. Don't use slang and speak clearly and directly to your customer, look them in the eye and call them by name. If you have their whole name from an email or lead always say Mr. Jones, until he asks you to call him Paul or whatever his first name is. Be sincere about everything you say, customers can detect bullshit. They are on red alert for schemes and lies. Don't bother. Know your product like you designed and built the thing yourself. Don't be afraid to say let me check on those specifications, I want to make sure I give you the best info. Don't make shit up, it will find you and bite your ass off. When it comes to the table make them believe you want to sell the car, not in a desperate way, bit don't be afraid to seem hungry for their sale, makes them feel important and like you will try anything to get it done. If they think you are working hard it will show and it will keep them at the table. For most customers you get two chances to get the price right, three if your second pass was really close. The more times you go back to the desk the greater your chances of failure exponentially increase.
>>
>>16041006
Foursquare is foundation of car sales.
I know all the manager will give you story of how to use it to maximize profit and make good money. But every top sales guy has his own way of foursquare, you need to find the way that works with from hello hand shake to closing the deal.
Everything you say need to come back to foursquare when you seat the customer down.
I made top sales man in 2 different dealership I worked at within 2months.
>>
>>16040882
You forgot to stare into a mirror and yell BUY HERE PAY HERE 5 times
>>
>>16041006
I have bought and sold cars using four square and it is becoming less and less common because the customer can usually figure out you are just shifting numbers around and not really sacrificing any profit. It makes you look bad. The better stores I have worked out have moved on to a simple sales "menu" that lays out the price, discount, sales tax, fees, and trade offer all very clearly. Then the customer and salesperson can work on whatever numbers make sense sometimes it makes more sense to discount the new car a little more to get to a better payment. Sometimes it works out to put a little more in the trade to make the numbers closer to what would make the customer happy. It's not usually exactly what the customer wants in every column bit because you showed them your starting position and let them decide where to improve the figures it is more transparent and the customer see the process.

With four square, you have to nail down each corner separately and managers tend to shift the numbers faster and not showing you where they were before. Hoping that you will focus only on price or down payment and ignore the other boxes. It used to work better but people have wised up. If you don't think you can manage a four square deal, i would just go to a store that uses a sales menu approach.
>>
>>16040961
>makes
well around these parts we use a gentleman's agreement to keep the "ups" fair. Whoever has been outside longest or walked out first is up. They have the right to pass it on to the next guy up if they don't like the looks of it. Then it goes to the person who has been out there the second longest and so on. Usually the original up retains his spot as first up unless chaos breaks out and a bunch of cars roll in then its a free for all.
>>
>>16040977
Shitboxes are the least profitable in the front end but finance usually gets alot of money out of it unless the store has to buy the rate down to make the deal.
>>
>>16041046
>The better stores I have worked out have moved on to a simple sales "menu" that lays out the price, discount, sales tax, fees, and trade offer all very clearly. Then the customer and salesperson can work on whatever numbers make sense sometimes it makes more sense to discount the new car a little more to get to a better payment.
See, this to me makes more sense.
The four square method, as I read it on some sites, seems more like a cat and mouse game. Why bullshit each other and just lay out the range of options within the profitable margins and just let the customer pick. Sure, the customer might pick lower end on the profit scale but at least they'll be buying, vs dancing around and possibly having them walk out.
>>
>>16041046
I know some sales or dealerships are offering more of menu style like car max but I only do that to Asian and cheap middle eastern customers and get them out asap. No matter what foursquare does have more chance of profit.
new salesman will make more profit since they know nothing and just present crazy atomic pencil foursquare.
If you are still in game it is always refreshing to go back to basics
>>
I forgot to mention, most of customers who sees menu style will haggle you more, if you are new to the dealership do not jump right in to this. It has nothing to do with what makes sense to you. People see salesman as hungry dog who will lie, customers are also lying piece of shit do not think for second you are making change to the game.
Menu style means no money simple as that, finance department makes money but salesman gets dick
>>
>>16040314
If you want to feel gross and work with slimy people for nowhere near enough money, be my guest
>>
>>16040314
Lol no. Sales people are the scum of the Earth. Even your job offer is scummy! LMAO!!!!
>>
File: 1466377964809.png (359KB, 640x628px) Image search: [Google]
1466377964809.png
359KB, 640x628px
>>16040314
>100% commision pay only
>offered a job as a salseman
>op has never done it before

dont
fucking
do
it
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.