[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Diesels are more efficient. Diesels are more reliable. Diesels

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 8

File: vw-jetta-diesel.jpg (24KB, 670x447px) Image search: [Google]
vw-jetta-diesel.jpg
24KB, 670x447px
Diesels are more efficient.
Diesels are more reliable.
Diesels run cooler.
Diesels last longer.
Diesel fuel is safer.
Diesels are more easily turbo-charged.
Diesels produce minimal carbon monoxide.
>>
OP is a faggot
>>
>>16037540
Diesels sound like a tractor.
Diesels have a powerband as long as your micro pennis.
Diesels take forever to warm up.
Diesels are a lot heavier.
>>
>>16037540
Diesels are only good for one thing and that is rolling coal.
>>
>>16037540
they also cost more to run where I live
>>
>>16037580
There is this thing called common rail. Which fix 3 out of 4 of your points.
>>
>>16037540
I like tractors
>>
>>16037669
Keep dreaming sunshine.
>>
there is always time for the 335d..

0-60 in 4.8 without any tinkering.
>>
>>16037580
>Diesels sound like a tractor.
Subjective
>Diesels have a powerband as long as your micro pennis.
They have a proportionally wider powerband than most petrol engines. It may only be 1.5k-6 k but that's what gearing differences are for.
>Diesels take forever to warm up.
True, that's because they are more thermally efficient, see OP's post.
>Diesels are a lot heavier.
6kg on the equivalent spec golf between the Blumotion petrol and blumotion TDi.
>>
>>16037540
americans hate diesel cars for some reason
>>
Diesel cars spews dangerous black cancer smoke
>>
>>16037540
>Diesels are more efficient.
>Diesel fuel is safer.
>Diesels produce minimal carbon monoxide.
Pic unrelated, right?

Unleaded > diesel, there's a reason every performance car uses unleaded.
>>
>>16037710

why are combo engines not a thing yet?

petrol-diesel hybrids.

:/

...heard ya like engines? so we put an engine in yo engine.
>>
https://youtu.be/C5GWyiOrkk8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj0wSE4LHOU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m--yfrVAlMY
>>
>>16037669
Which ones?
>>
>>16037697
NOx emissions
>>
>>16037858
Sound
Power-band
Weight
>>
File: 1353561395347.png (2KB, 200x204px) Image search: [Google]
1353561395347.png
2KB, 200x204px
>>16037540

Is becoming a diesel mechanic worth it? I may take up a mechanic career, but dunno if diesel is the best option.
>>
>>16037584
If you're a raging faggot
>>
>>16037892
Why would you need to become a mechanic for a diesel or petrol? That's like saying is it worth becoming a V6 mechanic.
>>
>>16037850
2 vastly different types of combustion
One requires a spark
The other just heat and compression
It'd be almost impossible to balance out, and way too expensive to maintain, let alone design and build
>>
>>16037900

This place I hear of is offering to pay for the schooling. Even my Midas only hires people that have some kind of schooling, hell I can't even get into Conrad's without it.
>>
File: 1463847559153.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
1463847559153.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>5000lbs
>AWD
>Super luxobarge sedan
>As much torque as a Corvette
>40+ MPG
>24 gallon tank
>930 mile range
>diesel is cheaper than regular (at least in Canada), $60 to fill a tank

Why aren't you driving a diesel S Class?
>>
>>16037696
>subjective
>noise polution
Lol tard
>>
>>16037900

NO OTHER ADVICE?
>>
>>16037942
Aww, has the fact your "reasons" were torn apart left you butthurt and resorting to childish taunts? I'm sowey we will go easy on you next time we Pwomis didums.
>>
File: image.jpg (25KB, 552x503px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25KB, 552x503px
>>16038037
>when you're so autistic you don't know what noise pollution is
>>
>>16037580
My i6 diesel sounds something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi31hm95x24
and I like it
>>
>>16037540
>Diesels are more easily turbo-charged
you mean shit without turbo
>Diesels last longer
because they use stronger part to do it znd diesel is a lubricant so that help they also turn at lower speed
>Diesels are more reliable
depends on the car
>Diesels produce minimal carbon monoxide
and ? they produce more carbon dioxide and other polluting gaz like Nox and particules

also diesel cost more to make and they can runaway
>>
>>16038135
That's pretty good but OM606 is GOAT

https://youtu.be/NbShuHhQq6k
>>
>>16037900
Stupid non-answer. Diesel runs on a different set of rules and tools. That's why they separate the two. I live near a railroad hub. Diesel technicians that go to the local VoTech schools are ofter hired by AmTrak or BSNF.
>>
>>16037696
What kind of diesel do you have that revs up to 6k? Have you ever driven a diesel? By the time it reaches 4k is already out of breath.

And where in the name of God have you found that golf diesel that is only 6kgs heavier than the petrol version. The bluemotion petrol weights under 1.2 tons while the lighest diesel is way over 1.2 tons.
>>
>>16037865
My father's passat has a commonrail diesel engine in it and the engine block is still iron cast and heavy as fuck, still sounds like shit (especially in the morning) and still won't make any power above 4k rpms.
How does commonrail fixes anything? All it does is make things less worse.
>>
>>16038299
I don't know what kind of mechanics you have over there but from where I am from a mechanic should handle both petrol and diesel engines. If you go anywhere and say that you can only work on diesel or only on petrol engines they will laugh you out the door.
>>
>>16038381
I am driving e39 525d commonrail engine and my dad is driving Skoda Octavia with unit injection and the difference is yuge
>>
>>16037597
>price per gallon is the only factor in running cost
>>
>>16038417
Never said that it isn't. It's just petrol engines make more sense for normal cars. The only advantage diesels have is the fuel economy and huge torque and low rpms (which makes it perfect for trucks and pick-ups).
>>
>>16037540
Diesels do real, non C02 meme, pollution.
>>
>>16038405
Diesel mechanic is generally interchangeable with heavy machinery mechanic in the US because when you say "diesel" most people picture bulldozer or big rig or something
>>
>>16037696
How is sound subjective?
>>
>>16038453
Ah, I see. That would make sense. Thank you.
>>
>Americans
>>
>no revs
1/10
>>
>>16037892
I met someone that is going to school to be a diesel mechanic. Besides owning a diesel pickup, he claims there's more money and job opportunities by doing so because you'll have opportunities to land jobs with railroads, trucks, shops that specialize in diesel engines, and heavy equipment. Not sure how true this is, but it's something you could look into
>>
I love the d
>>
>>16037915
>930 mile range
>24 gallon tank

jesus that's like 2 tanks to get from Dallas to LA
>>
>>16037865
Direct injection diesel will actually sound even rougher than the old ones, they just got better mufflers
>>
File: 1476911324119.gif (4MB, 158x223px) Image search: [Google]
1476911324119.gif
4MB, 158x223px
>diesel
>>
Having driven both for a decent amount of time, I have to say the lower sound of gasoline is nice
>>
>>16037580
>He modified his car to sound like a lawnmower
>>
>Diesels are more reliable
>Diesels last longer
Can only be proven by cherry picking specific cases, these not global facts. Can also be proven false by cherry picking examples from the opposite end of the spectrum.

>Diesels run cooler
Inconsequential with modern cooling systems.

>Diesel fuel is safer
In what capacity? Both are flammable liquids.

>Diesels are more easily turbo-charged
They are not "more easily turbo charged", they are literally designed to be turbocharged from the start. They have to be turbocharged because a naturally aspirated diesel engine simply cannot compete with a gas engine for automobile use. Naturally aspirated diesels in older cars were incredibly slow with poor throttle response and powerbands and no better at fuel economy than a gas engine if not worse. Meanwhile a naturally aspirated gas engine can compete with a turbocharged diesel easily.

>Diesels produce minimal carbon monoxide.
On the other hand they produce loads of sulfur/NOx as well as 25 to 400 times as much carbon particulates and organic matter (soot) than from a gasoline engine. So while they may contribute less to greenhouse gasses, they contribute way more to smog which is a more direct health risk to humans.

tl;dr - you're dumb and your thread is stupid
>>
>>16037540
meme engine that belongs only in work trucks & freighters
>>
File: alfaromeo159-l-2c85748f76546808.jpg (598KB, 2300x1368px) Image search: [Google]
alfaromeo159-l-2c85748f76546808.jpg
598KB, 2300x1368px
>>16037540
>Diesels are more reliable.
thats not true for modern diesel engines, they may even be less reliable and regular maintenance is more expensive

>Diesels are more easily turbo-charged.
thats not a plus, they need turbos to move, otherwise it would be too slow
adding a turbo on a engine makes it less reliable

>Diesels produce minimal carbon monoxide
they are still worst for environment unless you have a DPF which makes it even less reliable

Diesels are better for daily drive, highway speeds, fuel economy, torque, but you cant really expect to have as much fun driving it

diesels are more expensive to buy, and in europe they may be worth in a long term, but not always, so i can imagine that in america is even harder to pay off the diesel choice
>>
>>16037892
There is high demand for diesel mechanics because the world actually needs diesel machines.
>>
>>16037540
>Electric is more efficient.
>Electric is more reliable.
>Electric runs cooler.
>Electric lasts longer.
>Electric "fuel" is safer.
>Electric doesn't need to be turbo-charged.
>Electric produces zero carbon monoxide.

BTFO coalfag
>>
>>16037697
maybe because most americans aren't poor eurofaggots, you fuckers will make reasons up for wanting a diesel. you have no reasons, other then the fact a diesel is cheaper and your poor kys
>>
>>16037696
>1.5k-6 k

There's absolutely nothing over 4k and and it starts losing steam after 3.5k.
>>
>>16038417

It's because e39 is 6cyl and has hydraulic engine mounts, dual mass flywheel, dual mass crank pulley and what not just to keep vibrations down. It still vibrates more than 20 years old 4cyl honda.
>>
>>16037696
If it takes longer to warm up than an rx8 it's a bad car.
>>
>>16037540

>Diesels are more reliable.

Not when they need 5 computers, DEF bullshit and a 4 inch bundle of wires to run.

Diesel trucks make sense but fuck diesel cars. If you can't afford the gas on a tiny 4 banger you should re-evaluate your life.
>>
>>16038919
and more fuel efficient
and parts last longer
and sounds cooler
and im not even a eurocuck
>>
>>16038966

Don't underestimate level of jewery in germans, they would do anything to sparen that few more pfennings.
>>
File: Arctic_Trucks-Toyota_Hilux.jpg (663KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Arctic_Trucks-Toyota_Hilux.jpg
663KB, 1920x1280px
>>16038919
Its not cheaper, they are more expensive to buy and maintain, they are just more fuel efficient

and a diesel engine just feels more "sturdy", you dont need a spark to make it run so they can even run underwater, iddle and really low torque, its just different.

>you fuckers will make reasons up for wanting a diesel. you have no reasons
i bet you never even driven one

I would rather a diesel engine in a heavy car or truck, and in a sports or lightweight car a petrol engine. Maybe not in America because you are really behind in this matter
>>
>>16039045
>diesel can even run underwater

I swear half the people on this board are retarded.
>>
>>16039222
Only half? That's optimistic.
>>
>>16038405

Don't know what kind of Fisher Price set up you have over there but if you walked into a workshop and said you're an everything mechanic, you are going to be laughed out of the door.

You see it straight away, someone that has dabbled with spark ignition engines and proclaims they know an equal amount about compression ignition. Easiest way to filter them out it ask where their ballpark base injection timing is for a DI donk. If they come back with a SI figure like 10-14BTDC, they have no clue.

Or give them an engine with a rotary injection pump that has lost five degrees of advance suddenly. They will spend all fucking job looking at the pump and completely ignore the lift pump and delivery system, as positive pressure on a rotary pump inlet results in additional static pump timing. Lose the pressure, lose the timing.

Shit, you say that old banger needs the pump timed and they get out a mag pickup for injector 1. Get your dial indicator out you dizzy cunt!

Old mate said it well, different rules and tools.
>>
File: mercedes-benz_unimog_74_01.jpg (567KB, 3456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
mercedes-benz_unimog_74_01.jpg
567KB, 3456x2592px
>>16039222

but it does, you just need a snorkel.
But i wasnt talking about extreme offroad, im talking like in a flooded road when some petrol stall when they get water in the eletrical system..im not saying that pertrol engines cant, but diesels just give you more confidence, like i said they feel, and are more sturdy
>>
>>16038807

Diesel process requires cylinder pressures exceeding 25Bar. The spark ignition process as a general rule retains cylinder pressure below 20Bar. As a result the diesel engine must use a stronger rotating assembly with a greater moment of inertia. The larger rotating assembly, larger diameter fixtures and overall 'heavy duty' build has shown a trend over the past few (one hundred or so) years as lasting comparatively longer than an engine used in the spark ignition process.

You are thinking of the fresh water cooling system only. This is foolish. The diesel combustion process is cooler with fewer temperature variations in the combustion chamber and exhaust tract. This alleviates much of the piston crown, piston ring and exhaust valve wear common in the spark ignition process.

Plenty of brand new spark ignition cars overheating every day, so don't get too far up on your cooling system high horse.

Diesel is not a flammable liquid. A flammable liquid is defined as one at which the flash point is at or below ambient temperature. You should very quickly be able to find that this is not the case for Diesel Fuel Oil. Any Dangerous Goods Code will tell you this. This is the strength of DFO and why its use in industry is so widespread.

The diesel engine can be optimised for forced induction but this is not the case. You lament their slowness, but do you honestly think that the target market for naturally aspirated indirect injection diesels was speed? And if you believe (please provide a shred of evidence) that a naturally aspirated diesel engine of the same swept displacement coupled to the same load has a higher BSFC than a petrol engine, you need to turn your brain on.

Diesels do pump out the NOx. Shitloads of it. And the particulates are carcinogenic.

tl:dr You're dumb, and invent facts to suit your position.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.