[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 137
Thread images: 16

File: tire-rating-chart.jpg (66KB, 520x416px) Image search: [Google]
tire-rating-chart.jpg
66KB, 520x416px
What are other differences between H and T speed rated tires other than handling higher speeds? Which would be better for a daily driver?
>>
I have $25k to spend on a car. What do I buy?
>>
>>16027688
Buy a 2k beater and spend the rest on /OSG/ stickers
>>
>>16027688
Cheapest running car, then rice the shit out of it.
>>
looking at early 2000s saabs,is there any big differences between the 93 and the 95?
>>
>>16027673
Why don't you just buy the ones that accommodate your vehicle's top speed?
>>
File: 20161019_160230.jpg (2MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20161019_160230.jpg
2MB, 4032x2268px
how do i prep the underside of my t r u c c for winter?
>>
>>16028286
I was thinking that. Cause the door sticker states 84H, and most places have 88T and 88H. I'm just wondering if they handle higher temperatures better or anything else.
>>
Will I hate myself if I buy a 328 instead of a 335 or is the n54 just a meme.
>>
File: 100_2520.jpg (253KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
100_2520.jpg
253KB, 1600x1200px
Ok, I got a question for you guys. I've got a 2000 honda civic DX with a motor that's on its way out. The oil was low, so I put a bottle of pic related in the motor, what's going to happen?
>>
>>16030154
Rip. Go to /hg/. Also buy actual car oil and change it cause you fucked up.
>>
>>16027673
The Idle on my 79 trans am (Holley carb) has been acting up recently. I'll go to start her up in the morning and she's idling in drive sub 500 rpm and shaking like a motherfucker but after I turn the idle up a bit and start driving the rpm idling in drive gets to around 7-800. I don't think its a vac leak but fuck this is getting old real quick popping the hood every time I start her up to fiddle with the idle screw. My dad said it could be my choke but it's not even connected yet so that can't be it.
>>
>>16029369
No.
It doesn't fucking matter.
>>
>>16030154
U don fucked
>>
>>16030264
I don't wanna act like an asshole by replying to my post like this but if anyone can give my a suggestion on what might be the problem I'd really appreciate it.
>>
>>16030264
Well it needs a choke. Its getting colder you need to rich the system a bit to get it warmed up
>>
>>16030383
I feel like an idiot, that would explain why my idle is pretty damn high later on in the day. Hopefully I can figure out a way to get a choke cable to fit on the darned thing. Anyway, Thanks for the help! After I get that worked out I'd like to figure out how to get a pcv valve to work because my passenger side valve cover breather is pumping out some smoke. I'm almost for certain it's my lack of a pcv system since nothing is hooked into the pcv port on the carb.
>>
>>16030425
Yep that will do it on passenger bank. It needs some sort of vacuum.
>>
Hey boys.

I've replaced quite a few things on a car I recently purchased, but I'm still having one persistent issue.

Specifically at lower RPMs, and specifically when the engine is warm, the RPMs like to stick instead of dropping while coasting. It happens more downhill because less inertia.

My thinking is that it's
1) vacuum leak
2) intake manifold leak (?)
3) MAF sensor may be going bad

It doesn't feel like a throttle issue, it feels like too much air.

I've already replaced the Idle air valve, throttle body/ throttle position sensor, PCV valve, so I'm fairly certain it's one of the 3 listed above. Where should I start with diagnosing?
>>
>>16030534
I've got almost the exact same issue, would love input. I plugged an open vacuum that I have no idea what its purpose is and it helped a little but it still persists.
>>
Looking at getting new springs for my car, but im not sure where to start looking, what to look for, etc. I just want ones that will absorb the impact from hitting bumps and shit on the road so i dont feel it as much.
>>
>>16027697
underrated
>>
>>16027673
How do I begin with diagnosing an issue that is only intermittent? I've got a focus zts and it only occasionally drops revs and sputters between 1-2k range.
>>
>>16030781
see if your engine is spitting out any codes. If the codes are minor, your car can 'display' them without having the yellow engine light come on.
>>
What oil should I put in my 1.6 miata? I checked online and people say 5w30, 10w30 and 10w40. I know, check the owners manual but my car didn't come with one. It's from 1994
>>
>>16027673
I'm looking at a 2009 Porsche Cayman that has 206k miles on it.

Are high miles Porsche's a good buy? Watcha think?
>>
>>16032531
>Are high miles Porsche's a good buy?
Porsche is always a good buy when you think about it, at that high except some expensive repairs thought. No engine lasts forever.
>>
File: 964.jpg (69KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
964.jpg
69KB, 1024x683px
Got offered 1500 under asking price, should I sell?
Asking 16 000€ by the way.
Pictured possible replacement IF I can get the price right, damn pricing bubble.
>>
I have a friend driving an 88 ford turbo coupe, he wants to do a v8 swap and I told him that was retarded, there are turbo 4 bangers that are still a straight upgrade, but I failed to mention any specific examples.

Was I wrong? What could he actually put in there? Google doesn't come up with much, it's not really that great of a car
>>
Do the front doors/windows of a truck vary in size based on what cab it is? I'm trying to buy some rainguards for my Colorado and every set if two I find says it's only for standard cabs. The ones that specifically say that they're for extended cabs are sets of four, which I don't need because my back windows don't go down.
>>
New question: are there any other good sites for a 15-3500 dollar 5-speed shitbox other than craigslist??
>>
>>16033970
I've been looking on my facebook marketplace thing, there's some stuff there that I don't see on Craigslist, but I still want a better alternative
>>
I'm a broke college student wanting a convertible. Should I get a mustang, solara, 9-3?? Anything else?
>>
I parted out some heated rear seats from a Jaguar and plan on using them in the garage as a bench.

Can I just jump the heating element to a 12v battery or do they usually use some sort of protection device?
Will I burn a hole in the seats/my ass?
>>
Plastic bumper filler for an 84 buick lesabre?
>>
How do you pronounce moly?
>>
Ok posted in a previous thread and didn't get much of a resolution.

I have a new FoST with 1200 miles on it. Sometimes, particularly from first to second and second to third, shifts can be pretty notchy. It definitely feels like the synchros but I'm not sure if this is an issue to be worried about or just a quirk.

Yes I have been fully engaging the clutch while shifting and I'm fairly certain there's no clutch drag. Maybe I'm just paranoid and it's a break in issue with the clutch? 750 of the miles on the car are highway miles from a road trip.

Anyways pic related. If anyone has a similar experience or explanation I'll gladly provide any more info needed.
>>
How much horsepower (or P:W ratio) should I have before I start trying to troll other sports/luxuries cars in my plebian hot hatch, so I don't get embarassed? Current end goal was 260whp @ 2750lbs
>>
Turning on the engine requires holding down ignition for 2-3 seconds now. Want to do some preventative things.
>2010 ranger
>onterrible
>4.0L V6
I had this issue with cheby and jeep and i could just switch the climate systems to blow for a while and it'd turn on. But as a new F(aggot)ord owner, is there something that I should watch out for. Anyone coming from experience?

At home it isn't an issue because I has engine block heater. But when parking it in -20C weather, I probably won't have access to a wall plug and would need to know what to do besides call roadside :T
>>
>>16034889
Eks tas see
>>
>>16034130
Do you know how much convertible tops cost son?
>>
>>16034088
Search Tempest, it amalgamates most selling websites info
>>
>>16028606
Swap in a big leaky diesel engine that slobbers oil all over everything. Or you could get an oil undercoating like some boring normie.
>>
>>16033027
Depends, They maybe shorter to compensate for the extra room in the back.
>>
>>16035464
You'll barely be able to keep up with a stock camaros/mustangs with that
>>
>>16032839
Tell him to sell the turbo coupe to someone who wants it and either buy another T-bird, or mustang foxbody with a windsor already in it.

Nothing from that era that has a 4bangers aside from a few notable euro examples, will put out alot of power.
>>
>>16035464
You will need more power. Could you possibly lose some weight?
>>
>>16035627
Moly as in moly grease, chromoly, etc. Short for molybdenum. Not molly.
>>
>>16031966
Look for a copy of the owners manual online, weights can vary and are dependent upon the temperatures that youll have to deal with over the season.
>>
>>16030612
You probably need new shocks/struts, and not springs.

You only need new springs if they're significantly sagging.
>>
>>16035661
Well then

mawl E
>>
>>16035656
Oh. I assumed you could put something like a 4age or newer 3sgte engine in there.

I do agree it should be sold, it looks cool, but it "isn't" cool, you know? Can't put my finger on it
>>
Do you have to do the timing belt when replacing the water pump on a 99 Mazda 626?

I'm somewhat confident enough to do the water pump, but, god damn, I'm terrified of tearing the whole engine apart and messing something up while doing the timing belt.
>>
I've noticed this twice on my car

On startup for about 5 seconds, the engine rattles really loudly like a diesel engine

It happens when temperature is about 5 Celsius which is the coldest it has been since I got the car
>>
>>16037014
have you tried changing to a thinner oil?
have you checked the oil at all?
It could be many things, like the engine not being lubed enough so its rattly.
It could be your engine mounts going bad.
It could just be your car being moody.

Your car could be one of the finicky ones that requires different weight oil in different seasons. I would start with checking the oil and then switching to a lighter weight one (flows easier in cold) before moving into more serious areas.
>>
>>16037026
Its got the same amount of oil as it did when I got the car in April and put 3.5k miles on it

The oil is certainly darker, so I'll nag my dad to help me do it before it starts getting too cold to work outside, and I'll put in one step down from 5W/40
>>
Are car seats pretty much universal? Looking to replace the bench seat out of an old 1990 triton 4x4.

Also, for googling purposes, what would i search for when looking for a car seat with a storage compartment inside the seat? Potentially going to throw a cheapo amp in there so I can have some music loud enough to hear over the welder, and would rather it somewhere away nice and tidy.
>>
>>16028606
Get that shit all nice and oily
>>
>>16029369
Check your insurance documents, a lot of policies specifically state they are invalid if you have underspeced tires.
>>
How did you find the willpower to learn how to drive? Driving lessons feel so fucking boring I can't muster the strength to want to learn it at all.
>>
>>16035631
N-no..But...but...they look so cool tho
>>
What's a good jack to lift up my '99 exploder that won't kill me?
>>
>>16035373
I guess I'll self reply since I found some sort of solution.

At a red light on my way home from work today I pushed the clutch and ran up and down the gears twice.

Somehow after that the stick moves with the slightest of flicks and happily goes into gear with no resistance.

My only thought is that there was some issue with the synchros being dry and fidgeting through the gears without the clutch spinning got them lubricated? That's really all I can think of unless some anon has a better answer.
>>
Need to recondition foam in seats with steamer. Where the fuck do I get a steamer so I don't own one after this project? YouTube shoes a shirt steamer but if not that, what else works?
>>
>>16039212
These things called Jack stands and any fucking Jack really.
>>
>>16038097
So millenial of you.

Just fucking don't, be a 40yo neet with a bus pass if you don't like it.
>>
About to pull the trigger on a 2001 firebird with 175K on it. What I'm I in for?
>>
>>16027673
What was the longest ever thread here on /o/?
>>
>>16027673
Hey guys, immigrant here and new to snow especially Canadian snow.

I just bought a 2010 Camry and will I die if I drive a FWD in this thick snow?
>>
>>16032531
Friend of mine bought a 2010 Carrerra 4S which was clocked at nearly 300k and so far he's had no issues with it. They are surprisingly very reliable.
>>
What's a good brand of standalone ecu?
>>
>>16041018
Well, you won't die and that's for sure. Just don't be scared af. Throttle slowly and brake gradually from very far.
>>
>>16041018
Snow is great, no problem

Plowed shit that leaves packed ice will fucking kill you tho senpai
>>
Say you swap an engine in a car, and it fits right on the current trans (manual). If the engine is basically double the horsepower (140 to 270 HP), is it good to go or do you need to swap other stuff as well?
>>
>>16041549
case by case basis.
Sometimes the torque is too much and can snap engine mounts, shear off the transmission, etc etc. Lots of nasty things can happen.

If it's a popular swap, check forums first, somebody has had to have done it before. What in particular are you looking at?
>>
>>16041549
Literally a case by case basis, as above has said. There are so many variables. Best case scenario is can run as-is, maybe an oil cooler or two. Worst case is new tranny plus adapters, driveshaft length, diff, diff mounts. blah blah.
>>
>>16041827
I misremembered the proper numbers by quite a bit. I was thinking of putting a 3.4 DOHC LQ1 onto a Getrag 282.
88 Fiero is the vehicle in question.
>>
>>16041869
In a lot of cases, the transmission wouldn't be adequate. However, I believe you're safe.
>>
File: IMG_3777.jpg (132KB, 749x503px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3777.jpg
132KB, 749x503px
What's the exact model of this van?
>>
>>16043499
Chevy Uplander
>>
>>16030154
read the label doofus

>excellent LOW TEMPERATURE etc

shit aint meant for a hot engine
>>
How long does it take to realize whether my car is a lemon or not? Currently at 4500km and nothing yet.
>>
>>16044023
Thanks, anon.
>>
any point in modding a stock 2000 coupe rd2?

feels like any money spent on making it nicer will clash with it's already insect-y / buggish body or make it look like it's trying to hard
>>
>>16027673
I just got a new job making semi shit money.
>670 a week take home pay
I want to get an 05 F-150 4x4 for 10k
Need a loan to get the rest of the cash my credit is low 700s, how long do I need to accumuilate good job standing in order to not get a fucked up loan?
i.e. lower than 6%.
>>
I had a can of Krown spray so when I switched over to winter tires today I took the opportunity to spray down suspension, steering,swaybar etc.. That I could see with the wheel off. Wouldn't doubt that some got on the bushings. Is this bad? Only thing I noticed today was steering felt smoother than usual which Is a positive.
>>
>>16045571
Shouldnt be a problem if youve only done it once, but try not to make a habit of it. and dont get any on your brakes.
>>
>>16045582
ah okay, we'll I wonder what they do at the Krown shop. Looks like they just spray it everywhere, maybe they avoid or clean those areas after. Going to get it Krown anyway in a couple of a weeks as I do it every couple of years.
>>
File: 9l.png (525KB, 842x437px) Image search: [Google]
9l.png
525KB, 842x437px
What car is this?
>>
This is an odd question. But I was trying to use my CS knowledge for good when working on a project. I was needing an easy way to look up the make, model, and year of a car. Are there any public databases you could easily lookup license plates to get this info?
>>
File: Race_queen.jpg (205KB, 720x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Race_queen.jpg
205KB, 720x1080px
>>16027673
>What are other differences between H and T speed rated tires other than handling higher speeds?

You can look up the various tire speed rating letters. Now, one thing to consider is road noise. The higher the speed rating, the stiffer the sidewalls will be. The tread will also change a bit for the higher speed tires as compromises have to be made to function at the higher speed. All that means is you get more road noise with the higher speed tires when you drive normally.

So, if you are a newbie to tire buying, you might assume "More is Better" and thus you buy the highest speed rated tires you can afford or are available. But that is not appropriate logic if you aren't going to be at those speeds and you want your road noise to be less. So there is an advantage towards buying lower speed tires.
>>
>>16045712
Fusion
>>
>>16045781
No
>>
>>16045805
That's unfortunate.
>>
>>16045781
all the public vin/license plate sites get shut down quick

most require a paid account for plate lookup, vins can be decoded easy

>>16041031
megasquirt will probably work. pretty much the go to for older cars going turbo

>>16040318
check oil, fluids, and just make sure it drives okay
I'd be suspect of suspension bushing and what not needing replacement.
>>
>>16045837
Yeah, I wasn't needing much info. I just saw a potential program that could help some auto guys. But of course there's not a convenient dmv database.
>>
Still looking for a steamer, any ideas?
>>
why do cars have separate radio antenna when large sections of the car are made out of metal?
>>
Is it worth supercharging my car if all I use it for is casual driving? To/from work, to places I need to go

It's a 2016 Lexus GS200t
>>
>>16048364
You already have a turbo. No you do not need a supercharger. I dont even understand where you got that idea from
>>
>>16045891
The main reason those databases are kept at a premium is privacy reasons.

With enough info you can track the whereabouts of a person with just their plate number.

What exactly were you looking to gleam from such information?
>>
File: dsc02121.png (278KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
dsc02121.png
278KB, 500x281px
What is this thing called?
>>
>>16048939

strut bar
>>
>>16048968
Thank you very much.
>>
How much electronics could you remove from a car?
Like if you don't want to deal with electronics when working on a car, how much is actually necessary?
>>
File: IMG_5934.jpg (29KB, 173x225px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5934.jpg
29KB, 173x225px
I have an old air compressor that needs an engine.

According to the identification plate, the pump turns at 1450rpm and the engine should produce 75hp

I can get an old 4 cyl or 5 cyl watercooled diesel for cheap.

I won't make 75hp even at full throttle but should still have enough torks right?

Is there some sort of formula I should be looking at?
>>
>>16049138
75hp sounds like a lot for a domestic air compressor
>>
I'm looking for a decent bluetooth OBD-II reader. Any that are particularly good or bad? I'm no professional, just someone who wants to be able to take care of his car a little better.
>>
Can you carburate any engine, regardless of when it was made?
>>
File: ya57.jpg (18KB, 236x306px) Image search: [Google]
ya57.jpg
18KB, 236x306px
>>16028606
GIEF ME DA TRUCC
HNNNNNNG
>>
i have a rachet set that does not measure turn pressure. how do i measure torque applied when screwing back my differential plate?
>>
>>16048795
All I need is the make, model, and year. Possibly name but I don't think I need that.
I thought of a pretty simple way, that doesn't seem like it's being done, to make tow truck companies go 100% paperless and being able to lookup license plates would save a lot of hassle.
>>
>>16049017
modern cars are designed that you can't simply remove stuff without a knock on effect.
what you would need to do is strip everything out and start from scratch.
>>
>>16045781
O'Reilly's professional website "first call online" has this function. But you have to have an account.
>>
>>16049200
Yes.
>>
>>16049553
Okay, awesome. Pay to play is fine with me it'd just save a lot of hassle/time if I could just enter in a license plate and get back some info quick. Versus having to manually enter make/model/year everytime.
>>
>>16049440
Get a torque wrench, idiot.
>>
>>16049575
The use of first call is free. You just have to apply for a commercial business account.
>>
>>16049584
Added bonus, once you have that account they'll deliver parts to you if you want.
>>
>>16049584
How difficult is that?
Will I need an already existing LLC?

>>16049589
Interesting. I probably won't be ordering any parts just using their license lookup if they have it.
It'd be sweet if this works because it would basically automate all the boring paperwork you have to fill out.
>>
>>16049605
I'm not sure if you actually have to have a business license, but you probably don't need one. I'd just call the local O'Reilly's and ask about the requirements.
>>
>>16049621
That's very interesting. I'd all but abandoned hope. Thanks for your help. Have you used it before? I'm curious what info it gives/allows you to look at because their site isn't very descriptive.
>>
>>16034199
Use a fuse. They're already fused somewhere from the factory. Use the same fuse type/rating, run the same gauge wire. While your at it, get an 1(1/2)0AC/12DC inverter and plug it in instead of draining a battery.
>>
Where can I get chips/ECUs to tune my old Maxima (1996-99 Maxima, or 1997-99 I30)
I can't seem to find any.
>>
>>16049635
The site uses the plate number to get the vin, so they get everything. The only info you get is about the vehicle, make/model/year/sub model/engine size, things like that. But I don't believe you can access any info about the owner without a little hacker man stuff.
>>
>>16049687
>>16049635
And yes, I use the site every day at my shops.
>>
Thinking about purchasing a 1993 MR2 from colleague who hand re-rebuilt it. While it's rust free with a re-built transmission and motor (other associated parts, too), it has 355,000 miles. He's storing it for the winter, but wants something around 2500. Thoughts?

Sw20 base model with hard top and automatic.
>>
>>16049699
>2500
>MR2
Fair price
>>
>>16049694
>>16049687
Thanks pretty neat, do you have a throwaway? I'd be very interested to learn more/run my idea past someone who actually works in shops.

>[email protected]
>>
>>16049728
The only issue that i have neglected to mention is that the A/C doesn't workz but the heater works. He believes that this is an issue with either a switch or relay in regards to the air conditioner, and I've read that the AC recharge can be a pain when finding the coolant. Should i still go for it?
>>
File: sdfg987.jpg (172KB, 1664x939px) Image search: [Google]
sdfg987.jpg
172KB, 1664x939px
How can I tell what engine this truck has? Its a 67 C30 dually with what I think is a 72 C10 cab.
>>
>>16049790
Plug into the ECU and ask it.
>>
File: 1443751996250.png (1MB, 634x802px) Image search: [Google]
1443751996250.png
1MB, 634x802px
Someone stole my windshield wipers
>questions:
1) was it a nigger or a super nigger that stole them?
2) what's the cheapest place to get them? I only need the rubber part
3) If i shoot a super nigger for stealing something off my car will i get an award? and can I shoot him in the act or does he have to remove parts first?
>>
>>16050543
>1
that was probably a super nigger. figuring out how to take off wipers is hard
>2
wipers can be found everywhere but you're guaranteed to find them at auto stores
>3
you get extra points for shooting a super nigger while he is stealing something. it's too late when he's stolen something because super niggers are fast
>>
File: HavTm0p.png (567KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
HavTm0p.png
567KB, 640x1136px
>>16028120
>waste money on mods to get a decent machine vs waste money on a car with a platform which has mods or better as standard?
Riceing is a waste of money unless it's custom body work.
>>
File: 1439112362761.jpg (72KB, 709x765px) Image search: [Google]
1439112362761.jpg
72KB, 709x765px
>>16051133
thanks an/o/n I will shoot the super niggers immediately for max 'chieves

I found wipers on wholesale clearance from the rock, so it's like $6.54 with shipping to replace them and I have to wait 3 or 4 days
>that's the price of one shitty wiper from O'reallys or vatozone
>mfw too bad it's going to rain tomorrow
I am become an/o/n
Rider of buses
>>
>>16049790
Did you
> look
Thread posts: 137
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.