[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nissan 300ZX

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: 1988 300ZX.jpg (44KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1988 300ZX.jpg
44KB, 600x450px
Any common known issues with these cars? These I should keep an eye out for?

I'm eyeing one locally for $3500. It's a 1988, non turbo version, manual transmission. Owner claims 60k original miles and routine maintenance with a clean title. Of course, there's no telling until I actually inspect it.

I've only owned one Japanese vehicle from the same era, a 1984 Toyota Landcruiser. It was probably the most solid and reliable vehicle I've ever owned, but it's hardly comparable to a 300ZX.

Also, is that a reasonable price or is he too high? Pic related.
>>
>>16022382

C'mon you nerds, I know someone here has some opinions on these cars.
>>
File: 20160817_001224.jpg (39KB, 354x188px) Image search: [Google]
20160817_001224.jpg
39KB, 354x188px
>>16022382
>>
>>16022716
t. assmad GM fangirl
>>
girls dont dig tiny hands
>>
>>16022716

That's very useful, thanks.

I'm not a fanboy of any particular brand. I've owned Toyota, Pontiac, Dodge, BMW, Ford, and Mercedes-Benz so far. I know nothing about this apparent GM / Nissan feud.
>>
>>16022382

I have an 86 NA 2 seater

Change the timing belt. Rust, check for rust in the trunk and the spaces where the tool kit and spare wheel go. Suspension goes super negative as it ages. Avoid digital dash.
>>
>>16022382
T Tops are all notorious for leaking if the seals get dry. Some rubber conditioner will help if they aren't totally shot. Rust in the rockers, rear quarters, and rear frame is fairly common and should be checked.

The inflatable seats are quite reliable, but if the motor goes, hope to God it's not in full Michelin Man mode. The manual transmissions are solid enough for a stock vehicle but the autos need to be maintained or will usually grenade at about 160k. The engine bay is much harder to work in than its predecessor as it is a V6 vs an I6 and room is more at a premium. The Zs are fun to drive, but remember, you will not have a very fast vehicle. Like a B16 Integra will pull on you until about 80 wherein you will pass.

Avoid 2+2s as parts are specific to them only on most interior bits and some suspension components. 2 Seater 300zxs were a tad more common as well, but command a bit higher price.

All body parts are available through Motor sport Z and Black Dragon, unlike the 280ZX it replaced which is good, but parts aren't the cheapest once you want an upgrade of any kind.

Anything I missed?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (56KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
56KB, 1280x720px
>>16022886
B-but it looks so awesome
>>
>>16022886
>avoid digital dash
Kys
>>
>>16022952
And when it goes out, have fun. That was the one thing I forgot above was the digital dash. I'd go ahead and find a good working spare for when it does go.
>>
>>16022886

Alright, timing belt is a #1 priority if the current owner hasn't changed it recently.

Rust wont be an issue, provided the car is from my locale. Praise the desert.

This car has the analog dash.

How big of an issue is the suspension?

>>16022905

I'm not too worried about the T-Top leaking, as the vehicle will be garaged at home and rain is a rare thing where I live. That said, thanks for the heads up. I got a bit of a bath from the leaky window seals the first time I took my '84 380SL through an automatic wash.

The manual transmission is a selling point for me, as I haven't owned a manual since my first car.

"Speed" isn't really an issue. I like my vehicle to be nimble, but for speed cravings I have a motorcycle. This vehicle would see its primary use as a daily driver for a ~10 mile interstate commute.
>>
>>16023029

gives uneven tire wear, realistically not really much else of note there. Suspension refresh ain't cheap though.

Make sure you test EVERYTHING ELECTRIC before you buy it, beat on the engine a bit if they let you test drive, and as
>>16022905
says, check the rubber.

Parts are a pain in the ass to get and both new and used are expensive (at least where I'm at).

Also NA 300ZXs are slow as fuck. Still fun though.
>>
>>16023061

One other thing I forgot to mention, spark plugs are a pain in the ass to replace.
>>
Basically everything in this thread. Also get the digital dash, its easy to replace and doesnt die as often as anons say
>>
>>16022872
There is no feud.
Uneducated Scumbags drive nissans.
Its a fact
>>
>>16022382
I bought my 88 conquest, a car that competes with this (the tarbo 300zx), for $3250. I think you can find something better for the same price or cheaper.
>>
>>16023061

Thanks for the info. I'm going to go take a look at it tonight when I get out of the office.

Owner says everything electric on the vehicle works, but I'll be sure to test everything. Parts don't look too expensive on rockauto, still cheaper than Mercedes parts.

I wont buy any vehicle from someone who wont let me test drive it.
>>
>>16023263
What about rust tho op?
>>
>>16022382
Auto transmissions aren't very durable in these
PoS to work on, 40,0000 sensors.
plus they're heavy as fuck and handle like ass.

Nice tail lights though.
>>
>>16023269

Arizona, no rust here. Unless it's 40 years old and spent most of it sitting in someones back yard unused.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.