[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Horespower

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: hp1.jpg (27KB, 302x235px) Image search: [Google]
hp1.jpg
27KB, 302x235px
/o/, what's the deal with basic cars making as much horsepower now as 90's supercars? What recent discovery or technology contributed to the big increase in regular motors cranking out big numbers?

I mean, isn't it kind of ridiculous that a Camry is in the same horsepower league as a Countach?

What gives?
>>
>>16021819
Not sure what cars you mean? I don't see anything economical getting remotely close to McClaren F1 numbers
>>
>>16021827
A Hellcat makes more hp than an F1. The Scat Pack makes a little less.
>>
What I'm trying to say is what happened that you can buy a 500 horsepower car (Challenger Scat Pack) for 1/10th what a "supercar" making less horsepower cost back in the day.

I don't know how to put this clearly, I guess.
>>
>>16021851
>hellcat
>basic car

No
>>
>>16021910
OK, maybe not *basic* but within the reach of most.

For instance, a Ferrari Testarossa makes as much horespower as a Lexus LS460.
>>
Back in the 90's, there was a big HP gap between regular cars and "super" cars.

Now, not so much.
>>
Turbos
>>
>>16021939
There's a little thing called "power-to-weight" that sets supercars apart from other cars that make the same power. Also, a V8 making 400 horsepower is nothing new. You can do that with old-ass chevy small blocks and the like.
>>
Think like this: The Buick GNX made 245 horsepower. And people creamed their pants over that.

A v6 Toyota Camry makes more, NA too.
>>
Magnets
>>
Its the nanomachines in the gasoline
>>
>>16021819
It wasn't one single change, rather dozens if not hundreds of improvements that have done this.

Tolerances in manufacturing are much tighter.
Piston design has improved.
Lighter materials, stronger alloys.
Less friction with tighter clearances.
Incredibly accurate computer controlled injection timing, directly into the cylinder, if not at least ported.
Intake manifolds are now tuned and valved for better air flow at various RPM.
Intake and exhaust valves now have variable timing.
Ignition is timed with ridiculous accuracy, and independent coil packs ensure a reliable spark every time.
Some vehicles are now turbo'd, so we've far exceeded the cylinders natural displacement.
We now use much finer injector nozzles, operating under much higher pressure to produce the finest fuel mist, which is even stratified now and timed such that the flame front efficiently causes the perfect amount of force on the cylinder head rather than extinguishing early.
Hell even the piston rings have improved since then, they exert less pressure on the cylinder walls causing less parasitic loss, while maintaining pressure better than the old tighter fitting ones.

Literally every inch of the engine has seen improvements since the 90's.
Not just mechanically, but especially electronically. The shit we can get engines to do with mere programming tweaks is mind blowing.
>>
File: 1429929536689.gif (431KB, 250x189px) Image search: [Google]
1429929536689.gif
431KB, 250x189px
>>16022146
Thread
>>
>>16022146
Thank you. This makes sense.
>>
>>16022146
So given all that, is it sensible to put modern motors (like the ubiquitous LS swap) in older, project-grade supercars?

Like, take a meh-tier, beater Lotus Esprit and put an LS in it, or maybe even a 1UZ-FE?

The idea appeals to me- take a cheapo car with a fantastic chassis and suspension and upgrade the weak spots. Then you'd end up with a nice sleeper supercar.

IDK, after the Esprit was brought up yesterday, I kind of have a boner for them.
>>
>>16023351
No because the electronics are so complex you need to transplant the entire car tip to ass and every light, sensor and wire with it.

Basically unless and entire donor car falls into your lap and you have an eet degree you're not going to want to dick with it.
>>
>>16021819
It's because most modern motors use direct horse injection for high horsepower. Does anyone have the infographs?
>>
>>16023379
LS engines are supposedly pretty self-contained, something else you might have to get creative with some aftermarket ECU.
>>
>>16023351
This was touched on in the other thread; the V8 Esprit was supposed to make 500 HP, but because the Renault trans couldn't handle that, they detuned the motor to 300 HP. Renault UN-1 transmission upgrade kits are available, but for $4000.

HOWEVER, if you add it all up, it's probably cheaper and less of a headache, to just get the V8 Esprit. Also, an all-original car is going to hold its value a lot better than a frankencar, no matter how great that frankencar is.

Imagine having to explain how the engine swap makes it better to Craigslist buyer after Craigslist buyer, before slashing the price out of frustration and losing a shitton of money.
>>
>>16022001
Nobody cared about a turbo v6 Buick. The GNX was tune by McLaren which is the only reason why.
>>
My 90's shitbox makes more hp than a first gen 'stang.
Nissan a GOAT.
>>
>>16023379
That would be necessary if you were using another modern vehicles engine, so I get your point...

however, the LS engine is designed as an aftermarket solution for other cars.

Problem is when you're trying to use the engines ECU in combination with other sensors on a modern car... doesn't jive.

But for older vehicles, you don't need to worry about such things.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.