[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Winters tires on AWD necessary?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

File: blizzy.jpg (365KB, 1733x877px) Image search: [Google]
blizzy.jpg
365KB, 1733x877px
hey all, just got an AWD car (g-sedan)

I usually put on winter tires because they kick ass in snow on my old FWD car.... now that I have AWD is it necessary to buy a set of winter tires? Any "all weather" tire that would be still be good in snow?

Side question: are Blizzaks still considered the kind of winter tires? Pic related
>>
>>16018287
AWD won't help a lick when trying to stop. Also Nokians are one of the best snow tires, but blizzaks are top of the line as well.
>>
>>16018321
this

I think stopping is the most important part of winter tires. My fwd cars have always had plenty of acceleration traction. Or at least as much as I would expect given the conditions.
>>
>>16018321
>>16018389

Thanks guys

Would STUDLESS winter tires help me on:

* Roads that are already plowed, but have a thing, compact layer of snow

* Ice covered roads

* Wet, not frozen roads

We have mild winters, but our road crews suck so most highways and roads are still sort of perilous
>>
https://youtu.be/STaximkaQxo

Watch this OP
Always use Winter Tires
>>
>>16018435
yes, tires like the blizzak use special rubber that is more coarse at the molecular level. if you look at the rubber under a microscope it would look jagged compared to normal summer tire rubber. They have more grip on ice and snow because of the rubber itself, not just the tread pattern.
>>
>>16018287
WE TOLD YOU TO BUY A RWD G FAGGOT.
>>
maneuvers require traction
If someone slides into your lane, don't you want to be able to have traction to avoid them?
>>
>>16018473

Not the same guy you were talking to in that thread

I am older guy I am not racing cars, AWD is OK for me. I have always wanted AWD car for like ten years.

>>16018462
>>16018446

thanks guys, really
>>
A good set of studded winter tires is invaluable regardless of your drivetrain, they have much better grip on snow and ice than all-seasons.
>>
>>16019337
but it must suck to live in a place where studded winter tires are allowed/mandatory
>>
>>16018321
>blizzaks
>good
While they're in the first 30 something % of their tread life. Once that special bubble layer of rubber's gone, they're about as good as the worst winter tires on the market.

Continental a best, Michelin Xi3 good, plentiful and cheap.

>>16018435
All winter tires use a softer, high silica rubber compound designed to be pliable and grippy, combined with heavy siping to increase grip on both loose snow and ice.

Nothing's saving you from slick ice except studs or chains though.
>>
>>16019398
Pretty sure most of the US allows them, it's only during certain months. October-May IIRC.
>>
>>16019408
It's the first 50%
>>
How are the Hankook i pike rw11? Thinking of getting a set for my truck since they're 4 for 3 at the dealer.
>>
Yes you still need snow tyres if you intend to drive in anything but an inch or two of snow.

t. former Audi A4 quattro driver
>>
File: IMG_20161018_084640.jpg (2MB, 3164x1642px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161018_084640.jpg
2MB, 3164x1642px
Seeing this thread made me realize that I didn't check the winter tires that came with the car, which is a pants on head retarded thing to do here in Finland. Went and took a good look, found out that they were Hakkapeliitta 5's with good tread and all the studa intact. But of course the steelies are rusted to shit to the point it's actually chipping off and the rubber has gotten hard because they're 8 years old.
>>
>>16018287
Only an American could be this retarded.
>>
File: 20160321_183714_resized.jpg (418KB, 1594x897px) Image search: [Google]
20160321_183714_resized.jpg
418KB, 1594x897px
>>16019598
I'd recommend swapping them at that age. They'll still work; my buddy drove the entire last winter on a set of 14 year old Hakkapeliitta 2's that were unstudded, in an old C-Class

Still, wouldn't say that the grip was... "impressive"
>>
>2 x grip
>4 x no grip
mm I don't know op
>>
>>16020436
I've driven on tires much worse, I get your point. The disintegrating steelies worry me a lot more, because their center bores are 3-8 millimeters more than they should be.
>>
Snow tires are a meme if you will only see a max of 4 inches on the ground with main roadways clear.
If you live in Finngolia with 100+km of snow on the major streets its a different story.
>>
>>16020659
>Finns are mongoloids

This meme never gets old
>>
File: ill_weight_xfr.gif (16KB, 180x891px) Image search: [Google]
ill_weight_xfr.gif
16KB, 180x891px
>>16018389
FWD sucks for braking.

FWD (and AWD cars based on FWD platforms) typically have 60/40 static weight distribution. The extra weight over the drive wheels helps initial acceleration in snow. But when you brake, even more weight is transferred to the front wheels - the *dynamic* weight distribution is 80/20 during braking! With FWD, you effectively have just front wheel braking, and the lightened rear is lucky to retain enough traction to keep the car straight.

That's why modern 911s brake so well... During braking the dynamic weight distribution shifts forward to 50/50 (up to 58/42 under hard braking) so the 911 is effectively all wheel braking.
>>
>>16018287
>usually put on winter tires because they kick ass in snow on my old FWD car.... now that I have AWD is it necessary to buy a set of winter tires? Any "all weath

The most important wheels to have grip on are the front in the snow.

If you have a car that is fairly biased to the front, then it really doesn't matter for the most part. I drive around in the Idaho winter (roads never plowed) in a FWD early 2000's Chrysler. Never gotten stuck accepting the time when the plows put a perfectly white, invisible pile of snow down the middle of a lane.
>>
File: slush%20and%20snow[1].jpg;w=630.jpg (88KB, 630x354px) Image search: [Google]
slush%20and%20snow[1].jpg;w=630.jpg
88KB, 630x354px
>>16020659
you're fucking retarded, if it's fresh and deep snow and it's below freezing you can drive on it with summer tyres, no problem at all. you need winter tyres for when it's icy/wet/slushy.
>>
>>16019428
I've been using Hankook Dynapro ATMs for a bit. I can't speak for your particular tire, but they've been high quality and grip really well. I'd recommend them as a manufacturer and 4 for 3 is a good deal.
>>
Ice: Studded tires or bust, unstudded snow/winter tires still don't grip ice
Snow: Snow tires, the hard rubber actually reduces grip, allowing you to drive on snow without it getting stuck to your tires and reducing traction.
Slush: All seasons or any "wet" tire will do.
Dry road: Summer tires are still fine.
>>
>>16018287
You're just another clueless moron.
>>
In most recent winter tire test which came out in last month Continental ContiVikingContact 6 was best of the non studded winter tire, while Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 was in fourth place. VikingContact 6 was a little bit better in every test than Blizzak.

They had also allaround winter tire Continental TS850 for comparison which was so bad at real winter conditions. Stopping distance on ice was 65ft longer than best non studded tire. Also the difference between worst studded tire and best non studded tire was only 9ft on ice.

Stopping distance in snow there were almost no difference between studded and non studded tires except for the TS850 stopping distance was 30ft longer.
>>
>>16021427
I'll add; the Vikings are nordic tires, and unfortunately they tend not to be available outside of Scandinavia, Russia and Canada
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.