[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Transmissions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

What defines a "slushbox" and when did automatics stop being "slushboxes"?
>>
>>16012924
Hydraulic shifting and never
>>
>>16012928
I always hear slushbox more as a derogatory remark about older cars versus new rather than auto vs manual, though.
>>
>>16012924
Slushbox is just normal auto like Mazdas although they are quite decent apparently. Other cars like Nissan use cvts which are only good for mpgs but in theory the the greatest transmissions. Some high end cars use DCT which is faster than manual. Others like gm use 6 billion speed slushbox.
>>
>>16012971
newer cars sometimes use DCTs which aren't slushboxes
>>
you can turn your manual into a slushbox by fully submerging it.
>>
>>16012924
I think this picture was inspired by "Snow Crash". Neat.
>>
>>16013660
I think you're right. Awesome. I wish I lived in that world so I could hoon while delivering pizza for the mafia, even though that was a small part of the first chapter/
>>
File: 1415660616892.jpg (52KB, 616x519px) Image search: [Google]
1415660616892.jpg
52KB, 616x519px
>>16013604
>but in theory the the greatest transmissions
>>
>>16013740
If they could make one strong enough you theoretically could have a single long ppwerband for your car which sounds absolutely tesla-levels of devilish.
>>
>>16012924
Torque converters, autos will always be slushboxs. The problem is idiots think semi-autos like DCT are autos.
>>
>>16013763
But would it be fun?
>>
You guys need to look into the Williams cvt fw15 car. In 1993 Williams tested a cvt in an 850hp f1 car and on a wet lap managed to shave a couple seconds off of their previous dry record. F1 banned cvt transmissions starting in 1994. Go figure...
>>
>>16012924
Some autos are better than others, but when it comes to a Slushbox, look no further than a GM transaxle.
>>
>>16013763
Have a look at the FW15C, power handling hasn't been q problem for decades, one of the main reasons it was banned other than it taking control and thus "difficulty" away from the driver was it seemed slower because of the lack of gear changes and change in engine note to the spectators.
>>
File: 8798415984635476.gif (215KB, 630x570px) Image search: [Google]
8798415984635476.gif
215KB, 630x570px
>>16012924
>What defines a "slushbox"
It's used as a slang term for automatic transmissions that use torque converters because the TC is a fluid coupling -- the transmission fluid being the "slush" and "box" for "gearbox" which itself is a slang term for transmissions.

> and when did automatics stop being "slushboxes"?
Technically the answer is never since automatics with torque convertor fluid couplings are still widely used today. The word is meant to be disparaging towards automatic transmissions which were considered slow, vague, or hesitant to shift and the lack of a clutch pedal and control over when to shift gave a sense of disconnection with what was happening in the transmission. The term was coined when consumer transmissions were still considered inferior to the manual option especially in situations where quick, deliberate shifts were called for.

Automatic transmission technologies have since advanced and you'll see the word used less and less by industry journalists over the last decade or so. These days you'll only hear it used ironically (like when people call a 9mm handgun a pea-shooter) or when it's used by ill-informed people whose knowledge of cars is based primarily on old fuddlore.
>>
>Ctrl+F "lockup"
>no results

Get it together /o/. Automatic transmissions stopped being slushboxes as they added lockup torque converters.
>>
>>16014572
I would argue that any auto using bands and planetary gears is still a slushbox, because of how it shifts, even if the torque converter can eliminate some of the parasitic loss.

Doesn't mean DCTs are any less gay lol
>>
>>16014559
TC equipped cars are still slow by definition. You'll never see anyone use that in a race. It exists for towing and comfort only.
>>
The ford AOD/AODE is pretty goddamn slushy. If you accelerate hard from a stop in one, the change from 1st to 2nd gear takes several whole seconds and your RPMs top out while the transition happens (if you keep your foot down).
>>
>>16012924
when you have a torque converter that takes forever to lock up. when the damn thing wants to always shift to the highest gear right away. when it never knows what gear it should be in and constantly hunts for gears. when you coast and the torque converter lets go, removing any engine braking effect.
>>
>>16016914
So far this is my experience with every single "manual automatic" I've driven.
And I've driven quite a few of em.
DCTs excluded of course.

t. guy who has a different rental car just about every week
>>
Slushbox = Automatic tranny w/ torque converter (needs transmission fluid)
>>
>>16014582
Drags cars predominantly use a 727 or powerglide because they are considered better than their manual counterparts
>>
>>16017056
its not like drag cars are using stock 727s, although they could handle the power I imagine. They are set up to shift at exact points and only good for going all in for 1/4 mile.
>>
>>16013837
yes they got a cvt to handle F1 levels of power, but it was also rebuilt after every race. That does no mean it was ready to handle high amounts of power for 100,000 miles.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.