[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tire Manufacturer Tiers?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 15

How do tire manufactures stack up against each other? Can you make a tier list of them from best to worst?
>>
Motomaster is top tier.
>>
not exactly a tier of manufacturers, but look at country of origin...

tier 1
Japanese
>tier 1.5
American (made in mexico most likely)
>tier 2
other south asia / asian countries (thailand, s korea, etc)
>tier 3
shit
>tier 4
china
>>
>>16012588
That's a stupid way of looking at it.

You have regular tires, which no-one cares about.

You then have performance tires for the street.

Pirelli corsas, pilot supersport 2, ad08R and toyo proxes 888 are all good

each has their own benefit for driving style

Then you move onto racing tires and drag tires.
>>
>>16012708
>selling car to a guy
>need to get it safetied first because Onterrible
>Michelin Pilot AS 3 have worn down too much
>buy a set of dirt cheap Chinese tires that are made for wheels an inch shorter, stretch them on
>significantly less grip on brand new tires
>passes safety

The guy I sold it to is probably dead
>>
>>16012713
Some tire manufacturers are objectively worse than others. And 90% of the planet cares about regular tires, anon, because not everyone on this planet spends time on this board.
>god tier
Toyo/Michelin. I don't think there's any other manufacturers that are so good in their entire lineup.
>medium tier
Goodyear, Cooper, Nitto, Yokohoma, Continental, Maxxis, Bridgestone
>shit tier
General, BFG. Absolute worst brand name companies ever. I have seen more BFG K02s separate than any shitty Chinese brand on this planet
>>
>>16012733
Ontario is fucking retarded.
>>
>>16012746
whats wrong with BFG? this tire even got higher marks than the other A/S category compared to michelins and toyo

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+COMP-2+A%2FS
>>
>>16012746
Where does Firestone fit in?
>>
>>16012746
no, ad08R is bumped up to god tier.

go read the reviews on that shit, while the rest of yokohama is MEH that specific tire is fucking mental.

pirelli also puts out quality shit across the board.

just expensive.
>>
>>16012758
bfg actually owns that site.
>>
>>16012784
now i am conflicted.

Choosing between bfg gforce comp 2 a/s vs michelin pilot sports a/s 3.

the latter is $30 more. Im not a brandfag but im just going by whichever is lighter on my wallet.

Most reviews ive seen tells me that BFG is better than michelin by a slight margin.
>>
>>16012841
ad08R

do not get any other performance tire unless you are looking for a full drag tire or slick.

They grip like fucking mental, the only downside is they wear slightly quickly, but their steering response is insane, grip is insane and they let you know when they're reaching their limit, you get a lot of warning.

Go read reviews on them yourself. I would say they compete with PSS2 and Pirellis, but they're cheaper.

They're "ok" in the rain too, just like any summer tire.

I live in australia, where we don't really get snow, but i recommend you get summer performance tires and a set of winter tires.

Do not get all seasons, i made that mistake a long time ago.
>>
>>16012841
Do NOT cheap out on tires. Ever. It is the one thing you don't want to cheap out on, the tire is the only thing keeping you on the road.

An extra 100 bucks is worth getting quality, trust me.
>>
>>16012754
As someone who moved from Alberta to Ontario (military/gubberment sheep) I fucking hate this shitty province
>>
>>16012868
I've been to Edmonton and thought it was a shithole. Where from Alberta? I'm in Ottawa and it's not so bad here.
>>
>>16012860
i live in Canada BC Vancouver. Rarely snows thicker than 2 cm but it rains almost everyday. Getting All seasons would be ideal for me.

>>16012864
Oh definitely i wouldnt cheap out but BFG and Michelin both perform the same and michelin costs $30 dollars more. Wouldnt you go for the BFG if you didnt have brandname bias?
>>
>>16012746

>BFG
>Seperation

Thats a strange way to say Goodyear. Your lucky if you get 20K out of the fucking things before the belts split in half.
>>
>>16012926
We put 6 K02s on a truck at work in 2 months before the dude gave up on them and slapped on some Toyos. They are garbage. Goodyears seem to do better in my experience. Still not super long lasting.
>>
Coopers are suprisingly nice for the cost

I have the El Cheapo Douglas tires from walmart on my Cavalier. $65 a piece and they are hard as rocks but they wear way better than their TWR suggests.

Loud as shit though,
>>
>>16012746
i have general altimaxs on my dd :(
>>
>>16012746
in my extensive experience with tires, having worked at many a tire shop living in PA, the absolute worst state in the country for tire treadlife, i can tell you that it literally depends on tire model

I actually spoke the the Bridgestone rep and he was telling me that all their statistics indicated how shitty PA is for tire life. On average getting 35k miles out of an 80k mile tire was rare.
700TWR tires getting chewed to 3/32 in less than a year when tires like that would last an average person like 5 years in Arizona or something
>>
>>16012746
lol, I've run two sets of BFG KM2's on my Wrangler. A set of 33x10.5r15's ran 60k miles before I sold them with 30% tread left. Replaced them with a set of 35x12.5r15's and they're still going strong with 32k miles on them.
>>
>>16013023
That's a super sweet anecdote there bro. The K02s on my wagon are currently at 30k miles and still have about 2/3rds tread. I reckon they'll hit 60k before they need binning. All in good nick with no cracks.
>>
>>16012764
Mid with lowest mid being douglas/walmart brand
>>
File: Untitled2.png (105KB, 759x568px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled2.png
105KB, 759x568px
Unrelated but I'm looking on tirerack for new tires and some of the reviews for tires are completely fucking baffling to me.

Who the fuck puts RE-11's on a god damn ford fusion? Proxes t1's on a god damn 2000 infiniti q45?

At least this faggot had the good sense to realize what an idiot he was and to never make this mistake again.
>>
Best tires coming through.
>>
I have R888's I use on my summer car, they're super sticky if warm, but insanely loud. I honestly prefer to the old Star Specs I had.
>>
>>16012708
Lel, you seem to have forgotten JK tyre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7C1N2300vo
>>
>>16012708
>tier 3
Literally take a shit on your rims and drive around

>tier 4
china

kek

>inb4 they're called wheels not rims
I don't care.
>>
>>16013109
Tire Rack categorizes R888s as "track only." As in, just some lines cut into it to make them street legal. Below track temperatures, they'll have less grip than street-compound tires and be useless in the wet.

How were the Star Specs for dailying? Considering them for my FiST but it's pretty pricey rubber, Indy 500's would be good enough.
>>
>>16012754
they recently changed the rules for passing safety too which now pretty much fucks over most used motorcycle sales
>>
>>16012746
You're retarded. As far as you can rank manufacturers like that (you can't really as explained) Continetal would objectively be top.
They have more tyre test victories than any other manufacturer. But they might be normie spec tyres so not what people want. Which is why this thread is dumb.

>>16012780
This.
>>
>>16013112
>worlds number one company

This whole fucking video is gold. That fucking turbine they put in the air intake, for what purpose? it doesnt seem to be powered by anything
>>
>>16013069
WTF is wrong with PA? Shit roads?
>>
>>16013091
WTF>?
>>
>>16013120
Star specs were awesome. Lasted four summers for me, mostly mountain roads, Friday night drag racing, and occasional parking lot skids. Great steering feel and not very noisy. The worst part was the price, 225/50r16 was around $1,200 canadabux mounted.
>>
>>16013128
How so?
>>
>>16013192
The roads are all potholes, patches, and the resulting loose gravel chunks from both

The winters are mild enough that few people actually switch to winter tires during winter since it can be either 3 days of actual snow and ice to 3 months straight of it so most people just lean on A/S tires
>>
>>16012746
conti too low

otherwise good
>>
>>16013200
Shit. I have 235/50R18
>>
File: hankook-z209-ventus-1.jpg (347KB, 1280x722px) Image search: [Google]
hankook-z209-ventus-1.jpg
347KB, 1280x722px
>>16013199
>>
>>16013216
You should put some gummi worms in those treads desu
>>
>>16013228
When my set comes in, I'll do that instead of bread.
>>
I always thought michilen was best.
>>
>>16013175
it'll make noise at higher speeds, like a turbo spooling but with no turbo.
Think of it like putting a leaf in your bike spokes as a kid. same effect.

99% of that video is rice
>>
>>16013112
Oh shit I haven't watched this video in over five days.

Too long.

Absolute fucking madmen.
>>
>>16012764
Bridgestones budget brand
>>
>>16012746
There is nothing wrong with General. Their snow tires performed just as well as my first set of Blizzaks. They performed better than my last pair of Hankook Winterforce or whatever they are called.

Their summer tires are very meh

Their all season tires are pretty damn good for the price. especially on beaters, or moms van
>>
>>16013584
>nothing wrong with general
you'd be lucky to get more than 15k out of a set of red letters, and the ATS are garbage too. I've seen them showing cords after 6000 miles on the back of an F250.
>>
>>16012841
Get the Michelin AS3 PLUS. It came out this year, major improvement previous model. I just got these for my S2000 and they're great for AS tires. Best out there right now. Mixed driving i still prefer the Bridgestone S04pp if u dont drive in snow
>>
>Michelin Pro Sports 3 in a nb miata
did i do good guize
>>
>>16012746
I have no idea how michelin should be better than continental.
>>
>>16013112
>5 inch tachometer
wew lad
>>
So many idiots in this thread. You fucking retarded benchracers will argue about anything.

Every major manufacture has a really good tire.
>>
>>16013082
The kind of people that go to /o/

The retards here would put super sports on a fucking civic
>>
>>16013052
those are actually pretty good though, for econobox tires
>>
>>16012588
Alright /o/, I need some all season tires. I need the best wet grip and dry grip possible, I need something that's sticky and will hug the road at all times. Where I live it does get fairly cold, but not often does it snow or get too close to freezing. But it rains a lot, and I hate driving in the rain because it's spooky. I've got an 03 MR-S with staggered tire and rims sizes, which I'd like to keep staggered. I'd like some wider tires, like 205 f 225 r, like what I have now. Can I get some help finding some? I would prefer if they were available on tire rack or some similar site.
>>
File: Untitled.png (46KB, 1017x368px)
Untitled.png
46KB, 1017x368px
>>16016563
okay well phew, i was worried i fucked up
>>
>>16012764
Rollover tier
>>
I've had good luck with Michelin, Kumho and BFG.

Bad luck with Goodyear and Hankook. Goodyear being the worst. I thought they were supposed to be good but I have more problems with separation and out of balance problems on Goodyears with plenty of tread on them than anything else.
>>
>>16012733
how the fuck is having you car satisfied a bad thing?
>>
>>16018087
These right here. Look at other sites for reviews as well, lots of good reviews. I've had 2 sets on my 250hp Miata. They grip like fucking crazy rain or shine. Can't handle snow too well, and prefer warm as opposed to cold BUT they still grip very well in the cold and cold rain.
Cheap? No. Last 40,000 miles? No. Sticky as bubble gum? Absolutely.

https://www.toyotires.com/tire/pattern/proxes-r1r-extreme-performance-summer-tires
>>
>>16013109
Why would you ever put a track day tire on a road car only an idiot would do this.

Nice way to waste a big sum in 3k miles though
>>
>>16018483
It's just another means for the government to squeeze even more money out of people here. They fucking take everything!
>>
>normies
Have you heard of them before? Yes = they're probably fine

>enthusiast, all model specific of course
Michelin for all arounders, Bridgestone, and Continental as runner up

Hoosier, Bridgestone & BFG for autox until the next generation of tire comes out and we'll see if anybody else tries to step up.

BFG, Bridgestone, Dunlop, Hankook, Hoosier, Yoko, for track.

I've heard mixed thoughts on Toyo, and incredibly negative feedback on R888 by people I respect, figures a couple /o/tists love them. I hear their only advantage compared to the competition is they're available in just about every size imaginable so you can slap them on shitboxes with outdated tire sizes or cars that were never meant to have sticky tires in the first place.

Everytime Pirelli comes up there's an equivalent tire that's just plain better that's usually cheaper to boot.

Sumitomo for poor fags
>>
I've used hankook ventus V12's for a long time on my Focus SVT and Sentra Spec V. Great tires for the price with great grip.
>>
>>16018483
So easy to defeat, his new, improperly sized china shit tires passed over Good brand but low life
>>
D U N L O P
U
N
L
O
P
>>
>>16018514
thank you anon
>>
Pirelli a shit
>>
>>16012588
It goes like this:
>Top tier:
RE-71R
Rival
R-S3
Z2SS
NT-01
RC-1
VR-1
595 RS-R
Hakka R2
Xi3
WS80
>I live in a one room apartment and have no space for a second set of wheels tier:
MPSS
S.drive
>Shit tier:
Everything else
>>
>>16019323
>tfw rivals
fuck yeah
>>
Just wanna say, don't buy Barum tires, pic related.
>>
>>16018856
Yea man riprip
>>
>>16019346
What are you talking about, they perform as advertised, just a little something is lost in translation. It should be Baroon, not Barum. Fire their PR guy.
>>
>>16012918
>It rains almost every day

Summer performance tires typically peform better in the wet than the best all-seasons.

As long as the temperature threshold is safe, summers and winters will always trump all seasons (or 'no season' tires as some might call them).
>>
File: beasts.jpg (618KB, 1224x1632px) Image search: [Google]
beasts.jpg
618KB, 1224x1632px
>>16013023
>>16013076
My K02s have been decent, gravel started ripping the lugs off in 8,000k so I took them off for summer.
>>
File: 101 dalmations smoking.gif (446KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
101 dalmations smoking.gif
446KB, 500x375px
>>16019323
I don't see any Hoosiers on that list...
>>
>>16012708
>T1: Japan
Bridgestone
Toyo/Nitto
Sumitomo/Falken
Yokohama
>T1.5: America
Goodyear/Dunlop
Cooper
Douglas
Carlisle
>T2: Asian
Hankook
Kumho
Nexen
Danang
Giti
Omni/Goodride
Saovang
>T3: Shit
Continental
Michelin
Pirelli
Nokian

This list is kind of garbage.
>>
>>16019416
Because Hoosier doesn't make any treaded tires worth using.
>>
>>16019339
>205
You had one job, anon.
>>
File: 20161002_132326.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161002_132326.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>16019439
My car makes 130 hp man, 205 is plenty
>>
>>16016559
And your point is? Why wouldn't someone put high quality tires on a car that can be made to be quick and handle excellently? Hondas are always killing it at GTA races.
>>
>>16019323
I have R-S3As and can verify that they are god tier. I'm glad the 595 RS-R has high marks too, kinda wanna try those out
>>
I've been driving on RE003s for the past year or so, and I've actually found them remarkably good, considering they only cost a tiny bit more than a set of shitty budget "eco" tyres would have set me back
>>
File: firestone-firehawk-indy-500.jpg (152KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
firestone-firehawk-indy-500.jpg
152KB, 1000x1000px
>>16020568
I've been running a verrry similar tire for about 4 months, I use them for HPDE's. Same conclusion, they're surprisingly good in the wet too.
>>
>>16019750
>Hondas are always killing it at GTA races.
kek
>>
File: 1475193876115.jpg (367KB, 808x527px) Image search: [Google]
1475193876115.jpg
367KB, 808x527px
Plz help, I just moved to Ottawa and I need winter tyres for my civic. I know nothing about them. Where can I get cheap ones that won't kill me?
>>
Looking into a decent set of all weathers for my DD, had Nexen N5000s before and they worked well, but now looking at Nexen CP672s, anyone have experience/no a tone with experience with these? They were the third best Performance All Season rated by Consumer Reports
>>
>>16019323
These are all excellent tires to hard park in, but a good sticky tire thatll get you 20k out of a set are the nt555g2s, i swear by them. Wet traction is ok
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.