[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

service intervals

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: major_service.jpg (352KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
major_service.jpg
352KB, 1920x1080px
are service intervals a meme? a shill to rob us of money?

engine oil at 15k kms? no difference in oil at 15k or 30k. could probably drive it longer. just saved around 60$ worth of oil and 10$ oil filter.

air filter. check if its dirty. can probably last around 100k kms instead of 40k

is there enough coolant in the reservour and your car runs at steady temperatures on longer travels? leave it the fuck alone.

do breaks feel good? no need to change anything.

are belts looking fine and quiet? no need to change them.

so why are you paying stupid amounts of money for your car services?

320k kms currently on my honda accord and no problems.
>>
>>16011164
theres an amount where its, check and if its good dont replace. But for other things its like replace before you need to because you dont wait till a belt snaps to replace it.
>>
File: 200k_air_filter.jpg (140KB, 960x576px) Image search: [Google]
200k_air_filter.jpg
140KB, 960x576px
>>16011164
left air filter in for around 200k kms. changed it for a new one and no notable difference. same consumption, no noticable increase in power.

the only thing that was notable when i changed trans oil at 280k. shifting was noticable smoother.
>>
>>16011164
Op tryna find a reason to engine swap
>>
>>16011181
It's not supposed to give you more power noob.its supposed to keep dirt out of the engine
>>
>>16011181
>starving an engine of air doesn't do anything
>>
>>16011204
it does very little for non racecars. 140hp econobox and I didn't feel power increase after changing. although consumption went up a little bit so i guess it was underperforming before but as i said it wasnt noticeable.
>>
>>16011164
Service intervals don't charge you for things they don't need to replace. Better to be preventive compared to having shit go on.

While oil has improved over the years and you can get away with replacing it later (depending on the car of course and synthetic vs conventional) it's still a good idea to change it anyway. You never know if your oil filter performs as well as it should and regular changes will reduce risks.

Idk why you don't think an air filter shouldn't be changed regularly because you might not notice it right away, but as time progresses you'll have odd symptoms. And same as oil, it's risk minimalization
>>
there's a reason it's called 'maintenance' and not 'repair' dummy
>>
File: 1459365822898.png (66KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1459365822898.png
66KB, 625x626px
>>
>>16011164
Preventative maintenance is not a meme.
>>
>>16011818
No, but paying a ton of money for a dealership to do it is a meme.
>>
>>16011164
If you like your car you change it no later than 5k miles.
>>
You are the kind of person who moans when something that was part of preventative maintenance breaks and shits on the auto maker over your own choices.
>>
File: 447164823489.png (83KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
447164823489.png
83KB, 400x300px
>>16011164
I know this is probably bait but goddamn people like this piss me off because I deal with them every fucking day.

-Air filters get changed because the filter element and seal wear out over time, allowing contaminants into the engine.

-While oil and filter quality has improved significantly over the years, you still shouldn't go much more that 5,000 miles between changes. The old rule of 3,000 miles was mostly because the oil would begin to break down but nowadays you want to change it because it's just full of shit. The longer you leave your oil in, the more likely you are to develop massive and expensive oil leaks because you're effectively sandblasting your gaskets/seals.

-Brakes get replaced when they need to be replaced. there is no set mileage interval for brake service, except brake fluid. Should be changed when it starts turning an amber color or every 2 years, whichever comes first.

-Coolant can last anywhere from 2-8 years, on average. Conventional green coolant should be replaced every 2 years. If you fail to do so you'll start to develop silicate dropout and you'll rust the shit out of your cooling system since the silicates are what protects the metal. Extended-life coolant is pretty much any color except green and usually lasts 5-8 years. It is silicate-free (opting the use other methods of protection) but will still break down over time. Generally speaking, if you see your coolant is not quite the same color as it was when you poured it in (getting lighter/turning brown), change it.

-Drive belts usually don't get replaced unless they're visibly damaged/worn-out (cracking ribs, heavy grooves on the back, coolant/oil contamination. Timing belts get changed at fixed intervals to prevent your engine from grenading. Case in point: A Volvo S80 comes in on a flatbed because it died on the freeway and won't restart. Turns out the timing belt snapped and it was due to be changed at 105,000 miles. The car had 105,590 miles on it.
>>
>>16011164
ah so you're one them people, ive run into a couple of people at my job like you
[spoiler] im currently rebuilding an engine from a car that went long intervals without service. he got fucked in the ass by subaru once they found out. [/spoiler]
>>
>>16011164
>320k kms currently
At what kms did you get the car?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.