[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Auto vs manual sound

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

Can an automatic (not DCT) with paddle shifters sound as good as a manual? If not, then why?
>>
Nigga what?
The only difference in sound is the tranny whine in reverse.
Exhaust note is by engine.
>>
File: image.jpg (13KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13KB, 240x240px
>>16009946
...what
>>
nope everyone knows that the muffler bearings of an auto sound worse than a manual.
>>
>>16009970
true
>>
>>16009959
Torque converter autos typically drop to the lowest gear when not on the gas, and as a result you don't get that lovely burble and popping on deceleration that you would in a manual or DCT

Also when up shifting there's not a nice pause between the gears, and the engine makes an unnatural tone change.
>>
>>16009946
I prefer the sound of automatics paired with mild spec V8s.

>>16009959
>>16009968
Does the same engine sound the same if it's coupled to a CVT or a manual? No? Exactly, stfu.
>>
>>16009970
They use different catalyst fluid in the converter, muffler bearings are the same.
>>
>>16009970
just replace your auto muffler fluid with manual one and voila, it sounds just like auto.
>>
>>16009959
Then explain this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLwK95rX0Qc

Sure it's a CVT and not an auto, but the point still stands. They sound different.
>>
>>16009977
Highest Gear*
>>
>>16009977
>Also when up shifting there's not a nice pause between the gears, and the engine makes an unnatural tone change.
I don't pause between gears either when shifting, the pitch changes to match the new revs. Do you know how to drive stick? You shouldn't be taking any longer than 3/4 of a second to shift.
Or am I the strange one here?

Honestly I prefer standards, but I don't notice any discernable difference in sound unless revv-matching upshifts or being poorly driven.
>>
>>16009988
Yeah, I'm not watching a 7 minute video filled with shitty dubsteb to catch 10 seconds of exhaust notes.
>>
>>16010013
I'm sure he's talking about this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chgBw1c_wz8

The auto shifts so fast, the nice pause you get between gears in a manual is no longer there. It's more of a blip.
>>
>>16009946
i don't understand why people don't understand op, not that confusing.

automatics shift gears faster, sounds weird on upshifts. manuals have a nice pause between gears, sometimes with pooping and crackling. whenever i hear an automatic car with a loud muffler i chuckle to myself when i hear the pathetic upshift, as any manual masterrace driver should.
>>
>>16010050
>pooping and crackling
>pooping
KEK@!!!!!!!
>>
File: shy.jpg (55KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
shy.jpg
55KB, 800x600px
>>16010050
>I enjoy being slower than an automatic because mah feels
>>
>>16010061
>wanting to be 2% faster
>on public roads
>>
>>16009977
uhh if you have a automatic with paddles it pops on deceleration.

The majority that talk shit have never drove multiple types of cars or they're so obsessed with their "car image" they'd drive a manual in LA traffic because "that's what race car drivers do".
>>
>>16010159
Will they actually? Is it as good as the manual's crackles? Even the Ford select shift?
>>
>>16009977
>that lovely burble and popping on deceleration
Your tune is fucked, buddy.
>>
>>16010202
You're an idiot
>>
Will two cars of the same model sound different at the same rpm's if one is a manual and the other is automatic.
>>
>>16010159
That's why I specifically said Torque converter autos and not DCT type transmissions.

And not all paddleshifter auto's will hold gear like a manual.

>>16010317

Depends, its most noticeable during shifts and deceleration not at any set RPM
>>
>>16010317
No.
Assuming engine load is the same, fuel mixture is the same, exhaust is the same, and RPMs are the same.
>>
>automatic with paddle shifters
>automatic
>paddle shifters
if anything that's semi-automatic you shitknob

yes triggered
>>
>>16010306
>he thinks spitting unspent fuel into the exhaust system is normal and desirable
Just because the manufacturer wants to waste your fuel for you doesn't mean they're right.
>>
>>16010414
>I know more about how to build cars than this engine manufacturer who put years and millions of dollars in R&D into making it.
>>
>>16010013
>I don't pause between gears
>I pause 3/4 of a second
3/4 of a second is actually a pretty long pause. Do you think you can't hear that?
>>
>>16010406
Ford select shift. It's an auto with a paddle mode.
>>
>>16010171
I've driven an edge sport with an aftermarket muffler and selectshift. It makes the exact same noises you'd expect from a manual. Couldn't hear them at all through factory exhaust though.
>>
>>16010612
Well you are correct, but it's not a typical auto. It's all clutch to clutch and no bands. So it works a bit different that alot of the autos out there.
>>
>>16010031
they both sound like shit
>>
>>16010665
But one sounds more shit.
>>
>>16010406
You're a fucking idiot. But you're not alone in this thread.
>>16010621
The main difference between the automated manual you mention here and the typical conventional automatics that may or may not be equipped with paddle shifters is that like a conventional manual, the DCT transmission unloads the engine to rev match to the next gear where as the conventional auto will keep the engine under load all the time.
Seems not to many people ITT understand this...
>>16010061
Faster shift times does not equal faster acceleration.
>>
>>16009977
>pause between the gears

>manual cucks

also you can make it "burble and pop" if you hold it in a lower gear. that sound is inefficiency
>>
>>16011359
I dunno, having a gear that slips on changing and a hydraulic coupling sounds like a greater inefficiency to me. Mechanical coupling all the way.
>>
>>16011359
>also you can make it "burble and pop" if you hold it in a lower gear. that sound is inefficiency
That is just a spark cutoff
Most cars have the faggy fuel-cutoff that doesn't make the pops
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.