[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Paint Job, pro or diy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 53867700.jpg (164KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
53867700.jpg
164KB, 1024x768px
Hey /o/

So I just got a new car, 08 civic. Paid 5k cash so it's not an issue.

Her body is good and mechanically she's sound, 120,000 miles so about halfway through her life, but cosmetically she's covered in dings, scratches, one of the doors has a foot by foot square that looks like it scraped a building and the front bumper has two baseball sized dents in them from hitting a parking barrier I'm assuming.

My question is, if I plan to keep it for 4 to 5 years, should i invest in a pro paint job or just rattlecan it now?

I live in Cleveland Ohio so I need to paint it soon so the road salt doesnt start infecting the body. I'm just trying to figure out if its worth the investment to try to clean up her appearance to like new or if I should just do the quick and easy thing to protect her from the elements.

Thoughts and opinions welcome, if you've owned one before let me know what your opinion of the car is and stuff to watch out for please :)
>>
>>16006029

Bedliner roll on paint job
>>
The hardest part about sprays using rattlecans is orange peel is practically unavoidable. If you're going to diy, invest in a compressor with a spray gun and filter/regulator. Will still be cheaper than a full respray done by a pro shop, but you should definitely practice the whole process on spare scrap if possible.

And remember, painting is 80% prep, 20% spray skill. If there's any bumps or irregularities in the base metal, it will show through the paint regardless of how many layers you put on.
>>
>>16006029

Rattlecanning outside of things like wiper blade arms and wheel wells and the like I would personally consider retarded on a modern vehicle besides maybe a fleet truck/work van type situation.

For dings, take to a dent doctor, aka "paintless dent repair" dude. read reviews beforehand and find whoever in your area are recommend and just take it to them and ask him to get whatever he can.

That will resolve your minor dents, afterwards polish with some compound and see how many scrapes and scratches you can get out yourself. That will give you a better idea of if you actually need an all over paint job or maybe just a few panels, going to be much cheaper getting a hood and deck lid painted versus every panel on the body.

So i can't really tell you if you should invest in paint work, your car probably wont be worth the difference if you did get it repainted now in five years considering the cost of a good paint job, but I would not recommend taking a rattle can to major panels.
>>
>>16006029

Just rattle can it, then take it to Maaco for a paint job before you sell it.

You'll have to touch up the rattle can every year or so, the sun makes it degrade pretty quickly. Also if you spill any gas or similar solvent on the rattle can part, it'll wash the paint right off.

Maaco paint jobs are about the cheapest you'll get, you can probably get out of it for under $1k said and done. If you get a real paint job from a real paint shop, you'll be spending 80% of the value of the car on just the paint job alone. Good body work doesn't come cheap.

The reason I say don't get a Maaco job right away is because their clear tends to disappear after a year or two, and the paint job looks like utter shit from then on. Without the clear, the paint also doesn't really protect much. But for a few months while you're trying to sell the car, it'll look absolutely fantastic compared to splotches of spray paint all over the place. Just make sure you don't keep it for more than a few months after they paint it.
>>
Why bother? It's in no way an "investment". It's a shit box. In 5 years, the car won't be worth what the paint job would cost.
>>
>>16006062

>going to be much cheaper getting a hood and deck lid painted versus every panel on the body.

Very bad idea if you actually want a nice looking car at the end of it.

Putting a hood or deck lid painted with the factory color last month up against a set of fenders that were painted 8 years ago will make it stand out like a sore thumb. There's a reason for the thing called "blending".
>>
>>16006029
Why would you only plan to keep it that long? Cars are infinitely rebuildable. Get a reputable shop to repaint the door and bumper.
>>
>>16006148
Also, a good shop could blend it perfectly fine
>>
>>16006117
You are right, I'm drunk and not thinking things through very much.

Then again I've seen fresh tri coat paint jobs on white bumper covers that ended up matching better than a fresh quarter panel blended through the back door from the same paint.

Also was assuming he would be doing his own rubbing, maybe he has the no how or not idk but i've seen pretty good detail men take orbital buffers and some jugs of whatever compound they got off the truck selling the products (most people use a local company in my area so idk what the national or international equivalent would be) and made everything match up good with just rubbing and wheeling and waxing and the like and had the whole car looking wet as fuck and have everything match when a panel or two was painted the day before and the rest wasnt.
>>
>>16006159
*from the same painter
>>
>>16006062
I'm with this anon. A good paint job is hella expensive. Do PDR, then buff it real good. You can carefully touch-up paint little nicks and scratches so it's not so obvious.
If you can't live with how it turns out just get rid of it.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.