[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ford Select Shift vs 6MT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

Has anyone here driven both transmissions? What are your opinions on them? Keep the memes to yourself.

Specifically the ones in the Mustangs.
>>
File: 1475107437786.jpg (84KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1475107437786.jpg
84KB, 600x800px
>>16002501
the auto is a slushbox, it is a okay transmission, but that is just it,it is so okay there is not much else to say about it. Good for daily driving but really good for anything too sporty. When i test drove it i felt like like it got in the way between me and the engine but sense i drive manual that should be expected. Paddle response is not super quick either, but hey its an auto with paddles that gets the job done for most normies.

MT-82 Now normally i would shill for manual here. But i will be honest, the mt-82 is not the best manual. I would STILL prefer this to the auto any day though. The transmission has gotten better over the years, but it still suffers from clunkyness that can sometimes screw with shifts. With some mods the transmission can be made much better(bushing and better shiftier). I really just hope ford switches to tremic like the GT350 to eliminate the problem once and for all. Just swap out the clutch assist spring and its great in most conditions.
>>
I actually have.

starting with select shift. it feels ok compared to most auto manumatic style stuff, but it's still not as fun as manual. Pretty fucking solid for daily use and it can kick down for passing easily and feels okay. Just some minor delay. ones in the mustang are way better than any of their other ones.

The 6 speeds in fords are great. Some have synchro problems, but it's kinda rare. I've heard the mustang manual trans can struggle with power upgrades or something and people tend to upgrade.

If you're going to buy a mustang I'd just go with the 6 speed. The clutch pedal on new fords are easy for daily use, hill start assist, rear view camera, and really good visibility make it an easy daily.
>>
>>16002680
>>16002719
I'm buying a 2017, but there are none in my area, so I need to have one shipped over from somewhere else. The issue with that is I can't find one to test drive, so I'm here trying to get opinions.

In terms of driving dynamics, what makes the manual more fun to drive? Can you put power down easier? Does it sound nicer since you can maintain revs? What else is there?
>>
>>16002680
>the auto is a slushbox
It's a dct

>>16002501
they arent comparable. one gives you full control and the other one doesn't.
shifts are slow in non-expensive dcts. non-expensive dcts will not let you downshift at certain rpms.
if you want actual fun, a cheap dct will not provide it.
if you want comfort then get the auto.

also like >>16002719 said.
with hill assist, easy clutch, and 6 speeds its not hard to drive it.

mpg of the 6 speed manual is comparable if not better than the 6 speed auto.
>>
>>16002864
also cheaper to repair and replace, should you ever need to. and a lot less likely to fail. they have a lot of electronics, sensors, servos, and more mechanically complex clutch system so naturally they are more likely to have an expensive issue.

If we were talking about a 911 gt3 rs, I'd get a dct.
but for me, MT is the obvious choice for a shitbox or any car under 50k.
>>
>>16002864
False. It is in fact an auto. At least in the case of the Mustang, which is what we're talking about. Ford did throw a DCT in their Focus a few years ago, but I haven't followed it since.
>>
>>16002892
then take the cons of dct and multiply them by 2
>>
>>16002807
It is just much more engaging than the auto, i got to test drive both back to back. The auto was good if you just wanted a decent tranny to drive around town. But it muted the engine and i just was not a fan of it speaking from an enthusiast standpoint. The manaul was much more engaging, the mt-82 is niot perfect but has been much improved from the past generations. I would get the manual and with the money saved over an auto, add some mods like a mgw shifter with a brace. That improves the feel considerably according to what i have read. The mustangs character is just much better with a manual, now when the 10speed auto comes out we can debate all about it. But for the time being the manual is the best choice.
>>
>>16002915
Fair enough.

>>16002964
Thanks for talking the time to explain that. I was intrigued by the auto because I though engine braking and downshifting with the paddles would be fun. Hopping through gears like an F1 car. But obviously it's just Ford's common auto, so I wouldn't expect that.

The manual I worry about it being a hassle in traffic, but everyone says the clutch is better that the previous gen.

I guess I just need to get my hands on a manual and try it for myself. On paper, it seems like the better option considering we're talking about a Mustang.
>>
File: 20160913_151606.jpg (2MB, 1994x1351px) Image search: [Google]
20160913_151606.jpg
2MB, 1994x1351px
>>16002985

Is it a manual is usually the 3rd question I get after, is that the gt and does it have the v8?

Drove both the manual definitely needs at least the steeda clutch assist spring swapped in to really shine. The clutch is completely numb otherwise, some guys just pull the spring off. I've got a blowfish bracket and short throw on mine, I'm not sure I'd recommend the bracket it's a pain to adjust just right.

The spring is like 10 bucks and 5 minutes to swap in.

For me the manual is just a lot more fun, I drive across town every day but there's plenty of tight corners and spots to open it up during my drive.
>>
>>16003763
fuck that's nice m8
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.