[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Offroad Toys

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_16150.jpg (77KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_16150.jpg
77KB, 800x600px
So, I'm thinking about picking up an ATC250SX because they're kinda cheap near me, and I already have a 250R (not liquid cooled sadly). Any thoughts, /o/?

Also, post your offroad toys.

>pic unrelated, just a 250SX
>>
File: IMG_0604[1].png (856KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0604[1].png
856KB, 640x1136px
Guess I should probably post my ATC250R when I was fixing a few things

Any tips on tuning the carbs on these things?
>>
File: FatCat.jpg (83KB, 750x572px) Image search: [Google]
FatCat.jpg
83KB, 750x572px
>>16001957
Do it. I have a TR200 which is the ATC's two wheeled cousin. That engine makes stump-pulling torque (at least for a 4 stroke 200) but the bargain bin brakes, suspension, and everything else mean it's pretty limited outside of some family-friendly dune and trail cruising.

Also, the valves are adjusted with sliders, which makes it super easy. All you do is pop the cover off, loosen the nut, move it over X amount of tick marks, then tighten it. Boom, your 30 year old bike runs like new.
>>
File: FatCat200.jpg (71KB, 838x642px) Image search: [Google]
FatCat200.jpg
71KB, 838x642px
>>16001990
I don't know about the 250R but on my TR200 it usually needs a good clean far more often than a tune. Just be sure all your jets and channels are clear, your float and needles move freely, and put it back together the way it came apart.

Sometimes the float needle (the thing that tells the carb when it's full and stop pouring gas into me pls) will physically go together a few different ways, but it has to go in the RIGHT way or you'll overfill your carb and leak gas everywhere. I learned this one the hard way with my raptor, the float needle had a wire loop at the base, and I put it on the float arm inside the loop when it was supposed to be underneath the loop or some shit like that. It took me all fucking day to figure it out too. Shamefru.

Most factories jet their carbs kinda lean even at sea level, but offer charts with the correct jetting. I have no idea if they did this for the ATCs and TR though, these were Honda's red-headed step children.

AFAIK other than that the only way to tune them is with plug burns, but that's time consuming and you need a new plug every single time you check it.
>>
>>16002235
I always wanted a fat cat, they look cool as shit. I'll probably pick up the 250SX (or a 350x if I can find one near me) after I fix my truck up a bit.

>>16002322
I've never actually tuned my 250R correctly, so I'm fairly sure it needs a tuning. I'm gonna pull the spark plug soon and see how that looks, but considering it sat in a shed for quite a long time, I'm assuming it needs a tune.
>>
Any tip on riding wheelies on the 2strokes? I usually ride up close to the tank so the front end stays down, but I know if I lean back it comes up easy but I've never been able to balance it long.
>>
>>16002393
They're so much fun. I live less than a mile from the beach, and ride it to, on and back from all the time. I don't have any dunes, but honestly with that suspension a foot tall mound feels like a dune.

It's fun in the same way a beat up 240Z is more fun than a new 911, because you can push the Z to it's limits on any old canyon road, where the 911 needs to be doing 3 digits on a track before it even wakes up.

Going 20 mph on a Fatcat feels like doing 60 on a YZ, and it's even more fun at low speeds, almost trials style. But good luck getting that 270 pound pig off the ground...

>>16002462
Sit and lean wherever the bike is best balanced, use the throttle and rear brake to fine tune your angle, not your body. Letting air out of your tires also helps if you just want to practice wheelies over and over. It's kind of cheating but if it helps you learn then so be it.

If you're on a 3 or 4 wheeler, bounce (or just have a friend lift) the front end up with the engine off and try just balancing it like that sitting still. Do it either in gear or with the rear brake on so your back wheels don't roll. I suck at wheelies, I had to learn like that on a quad before I could do it on a bike.

The wheelie is actually a very important trail technique. You won't ever need to go full 12 o'clock, but it's useful to get over obstacles and you should get used to the feeling incase you give a big bike too much throttle and it wants to loop.
>>
>>16002565
You know, it makes sense but I've never actually thought about that. Probably because I don't live too close to any trails, so I don't do much trail riding.
>>
Where the fuck are you guys, /o/? I know more of you fuckers have toys. I'll find some pictures of the '79 YZ400 I got at an auction for like $80 if I can.
>>
File: 100_2101_zps6b4686df[1].jpg (98KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
100_2101_zps6b4686df[1].jpg
98KB, 1024x682px
>>16002725
Nightowl lurkerfag here. Used to have a little Honda 200 three-wheeler when I was younger - only specific thing I can remember about it was that the front brakes sucked ass with even a little bit of moisture. Lived on the coast at the time, so this meant I didn't get to ride it much.
Have a '87 TW200 now, just got my endorsement for it. It's a fantastic trail bike, but the weight and balance for it makes it hard for my short-ass manlet self to keep it stable on the dunes. Most people used to high-speed low-drag crotchrockets or high-revving speedy dirtbikes say it's too anemic for the flats/beach/highway, but it's good for what it is. Some mods to the carb/airbox to make it breathe better, and maybe boring the cylinder out, and it'd be a fast as fuck bike for my needs.
Pic Related ain't mine, but close enough.
>>
>>16002756
That actually looks really cool. Are they 4strokes as well? Wouldn't mind having one of those.
>>
>>16001957
Used to have a Kawasaki Brute Force 750i. It was a beat that would go anywhere and would wheelie at 50 mph. Sadly when I moved for work it ended up sitting more than I rode it so I ended up selling it.
>>
>>16002804
beast*
>>
>>16002786
Yeah, 4 stroke, air cooled, single cylinder. Speedo only goes up to about 65 stock, and like I said, they're a bit heavier than the average non-street bike. I've got an '85 Honda XR200, same ride height, but the XR is lighter because no battery/signal lights/street safety shit. The newer ones are probably lighter, and I know they don't come with kickstarters anymore past the mid-90's at least. Fun as fuck bikes though, get a good pair of barkbusters or other hand guards and just go nuts - only downsides are drum brakes front and rear up to a certain year, and if you find one that wasn't taken care of AND rodded on, there's a slim chance the cam might've been borked, fucking up the valve timing. If that's the case, like it was for mine, you can easily figure it out by re-timing the valves - if they keep going out-of-time every time you turn the crank, then you've got a fucked up camshaft, and all you need to do is swap it out.
>>
>>16002804
>>16002806
Ah, what a shame. I'd hate to do that to my bikes. I feel your pain.

>>16002811
Huh, I might get something like that if I can find one cheap just for commuting to and from work and maybe camping trips since I live fairly close to a national forest.
>>
>>16002235
>>16002322
>honda fat cat

I swear this is reminds me of a grom.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.