[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

2015 Mustang GT or E46 m3

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 6

File: 1444514970312.jpg (872KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
1444514970312.jpg
872KB, 1600x1067px
sup /o/ i'm trying to decide on which car would be best for me. I’m 22 i make about
30k a year after taxes and i already have reliable DD.

i have about 10k i can use for a down payment.
I’m looking for something fast that handles well and looks good

I already test drove my friends e46 330i(auto) and a 2015 mustang v6(auto) i enjoyed both cars pretty equally although I’d be getting a manual for sure.

I am pretty sure I could find a clean e46 M3 with 100k- for <16k and a mustang gt for around 30k

I’m torn because I love the e46 but I worry that maintenance costs would be extremely high. I’ve heard many horror stories. Honestly if the cost of maintaining an e46 in the worst case scenario would be more than 15k over a span of 4 years then I would probably better off getting the mustang as it would come with a warranty.

Anyways you guys are always great so I thought I’d ask your opinion as I really don’t have anyone else
Thanks
>>
>>16001041
>turd
Or
>turd
I hate people like you
>>
>>16001049
then post your car
>>
>>16001049
these are the best cars i could find that fit my criteria but i'm definitely open to suggestions
>>
Mustang because German meme-engineering a shit
>>
>>16001131
Why are you attracted to these cars?
>>
>>16001041
I think an E92 M3 would be a better comparison since they are both V8s, manuals, and RWD. The E92 is also more reliable since it only has issues with the rod bearings and AC system.
>>
>>16001041
You make 30k/year? Neither car mate. You're a poorfag, make smarter decisions.
>>
>>16001141
they both offer everything i'm looking for in a vehicle fast ,sporty , great handling

and they are both visually appealing to me.
>>
Honestly at your age insurance will kill you on both of those cars. 30k a yr after taxes if you want to eat I would buy a S197 5.0 if you want a mustang.
2011s are coming down in price. If you want a S550 get a ecoboost and use the 10 k on other shit like mods or paying for tires.
>>
>>16001152
i see what you are saying but at 30k a used e92 with around 80k would be as much as the Newer mustang only without the warranty.

The cost over time would be alot more when you consider the kind of maintenance the car needs as well as how much it would cost to fix anything small that breaks.

thats not even taking into account the rod bearing issue which you mentioned.
>>
>>16001041
Hey op youtube line lock for that model
>>
>>16001189
you are right i don't make very much but i feel like i budget well enough to where i can still maintain the standard of living i have now while owning a car i can enjoy.
>>
>>16001297
I make 140k a year and I drive a $2k buick.... don't be a dingus here son.
>>
Well, seems like you live in an area where cars are a lot cheaper.

Where I'm at you won't be able to find a really nice E46 M3 unless you spend $20k or more. The manual E46 M3's are all over $20k.

As far as Mustangs... yeah I see a whole bunch of Premium Fastbacks listed on craigslist and whatnot for $33-31k, which means that $30k is pretty doable. I suspect that the new Camaro has hit the Mustang market pretty hard since the pony cars are all about dick-waving.
>>
>>16001221
Thank you for the advice i've been driving on the same insurance since i was 16 with no accidents or tickets.when i did the geico calc my insurance would be 160 at max to insure my current vehicle aswell as either the mustang or M3. this is well within my budget

i don't know very much about the s197 but i hear they don't handle that great.

i never even considered the ecoboost it may actually be the best choice given my criteria. Do you know how fast they are when compared to the GT ? i'm going to try and schedule a test drive i know most dealerships will probably only have the 16's on hand but it shouldn't be too much of a difference
>>
>v6 auto mustang

OP you're a literal retard for considering this. Spend the $5k more on the gt model and it's a car that you can potentially own and love for a lifetime.
>>
>>16001322
>RPers
>>
If you're financing and you own your DD outright I wouldn't bother putting 10k down on either car (private party sale might dictate otherwise). The Mustang you could find used for 26-30 otd if you know where to look and if you were to stretch the terms out you could keep the payment super low (and with interest rates what they are you'll probably come in under the rate of inflation) and get a newer car than a BMW with 100k on it.

That said: Mustang GT for convenience, Fiesta ST because always Fiesta ST
>>
>>16001325
Thats very doable. A local stealership has a Yellow 2015 GT with track pack listed for 28,XXX

Theyre pretty reputable ill admit
>>
>>16001396
Read his post again faggot
>>
>>16001412
Are you retarded? It says he test drove a v6 auto mustang
>>
>>16001275
that looks like alot of fun

>>16001322
much respect but if you make 140k a year and drive a $2k buick i'm willing to bet that you dont get much pleasure from driving. or you have other priorities that take precedence over cars

i'm sure you spend your money on other things that bring you enjoyment
>>
File: 1415743129342.gif (2MB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1415743129342.gif
2MB, 250x250px
>>16001438
Nigger it's literally in the post title, kill yourself
>>
>>16001396
You idiot. The original post says he wants a GT and manual. Read before shitposting
>>
>>16001322
>Everyone has to be a joyless the like me
>>
>>16001041
Ignoring all the shitposting, which has become way too rampant here, I say go with the Mustang. It's going to be cheaper to maintain in the long run, especially at your age and income level. Just because you have a daily driver, doesn't mean you want to pick up a car that may have very expensive repairs sooner than you might think.

My 2 cents.
>>
>>16001325
i'm actually looking at an M3 for 15,800 on CL with 86k miles there are a few of them in this price range within an hour of me

>>16001396
Sorry i should have been more clear. I did put Mustang GT in the title but i have only test driven the V6 auto version. The dealership i went to didn't have a V8 manual i could test drive.

i fully intend on purchasing the V8 6 speed if i do go with the Mustang
>>
>>16001406
i do own my DD but its interesting that you would say that because i always thought that the bigger the down payment the better. Hell i even considered saving for a few more months so i could comfortably put down 15k.

i need to do more research about financing and the rate of inflation. i'm going to google but if you can point me in the direction of some good sources i'd appreciate it
>>
>>16001484
wonderful advice thank you
>>
>>16001041
Mustang. I feel like the BMW would be amazing to drive but you would come to hate it through constant expensive repairs. The mustang should be just as fun, especially with a manual, but should be much cheaper to own.
>>
>>16001322
Why are you on an auto enthusiast board?
>>
>>16001041
I would get a brand new V6 camaro over a used GT.
>better handling
>cheaper insurance
>brand new car, so warranty and no one has farted in the seats
>better interior
>almost as good of an engine as the GT. The V6 is no longer the base model engine on the camaro so it's a fantastic engine, much better than the V6 in the mustang. Sounds great too. Of course it won't be as fast as the GT but ~310 hp is plenty imo
>>
File: 1475105723066.png (116KB, 307x352px) Image search: [Google]
1475105723066.png
116KB, 307x352px
>>16001573
>Buying a brand new v6 muscle car
>>
>>16001297
>you are right i don't make very much but i feel like i budget well enough to where i can still maintain the standard of living
>i feel like i budget well enough to where i can still maintain the standard of living
Thats the thing about feelings, they don't actually have to be based in reality.

You make about 30k? So that puts you in the 15% bracket which means you're taking home around 25k with just federal taxes taken out. Thats 2125 a month, assuming you get paid bi-weekly you're probably bringing home around 980 a paycheck right? A 60 month loan at around 3% interest is going to run you close to 360 a month. Its extremely unlikely that you're going to qualify for the lowest interest rate so you can figure on that number being a bit higher. Figure on another 200 a month being spent on gas + 160 for that insurance. So for the next 5 years you are living on 1400 a month What about rent, utilities, food, cable, phone?

This is an extremely bad financial decision on your part.
>>
>>16001611
The V6 in the new camaro is fantastic though, and sounds even better than the V8. There's no reason not to buy one other than the stigma. The ~100hp difference from the V8 is pretty much irrelevant in most daily driving, especially since it's all going to the rear wheels
>>
File: guard green mustang.jpg (304KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
guard green mustang.jpg
304KB, 1200x800px
>>16001573
i actually considered the SS Camaro but i've heard too much about the visibility being terrible

>>16001746
Hey, i may have misrepresented my earnings. i take home a little over 3000 a month I said 30k as a rough estimate of my earnings after taxes are taken out. I currently live by myself in a 1 br apartment .Rent here is extremely cheap and even when I include utilities,internet, phone, Netflix it only comes to around 700 monthly. I estimate a car payment of around 400 +insurance so let’s say about 600. add 200 for gas and that still leaves me about 1500 monthly to do whatever food, clothes ,track , date Qt’s(yeah right) whatever .
>>
>>16001041
>new V8
>outdated BMW

The E46 M3 might have been the pinnacle of sports sedans when it came out, but that was 15 years ago.
>>
>>16001816
> There's no reason not to buy one other than the stigma.

How about resale value? V6 muscle cars drop value quicker than Hyundais. I'm not saying the v6 is a terrible option, but buying one new is just silly.
>>
>>16001907
You didn't misrepresent, I misread. Most people when they list their in come, tell you how much the get before taxes. So you've got 3k per month to work with, and in reality are making somewhere in the low 40's. in that case the mustang works, provided you can finance it at a good rate.

As an older guy I will say that doing stupid shit with your money at 22 is a good way to not be able to do anything you actually want to do with your life when you are in your 30's. It sucks.

Don't forget to contribute to your 401k, and if buying a house is a consideration for you at all, start saving now.
>>
>>16001975
your advice is much appreciated. In your opinion given my circumstances am I making a terrible financial decision? I’ve been at my current job for a year now and basically took that entire time to save money and really think about this. It will be my first major financial decision.

i'd love to know what you would do differently were you in my position
>>
>>16001536
thank you for your advice
>>
>>16001041
Get a Mustang, you won't regret it. The 2016 and 2017 have fixed the panel gap issues.

With the ecoboost just dont floor it in 5th or 6th below 2250 rpms.

Also get a catch can and a cobb stage 1.
330 rwtq is pretty good desu with 30 mpg highway.

I love my car.

23 yrs old

payed 32k, 15k down

insurance 989 every 6 months.
>>
Drove a 16 ecoboost. its pretty fucking nice
>>
>>16002086
Was it bad? Im considering a 2015 GT
>>
>>16002109
>>16002086
don't be a cuck, if you get a new mustang get the v8. Faster than the ecocuck
>>
>>16001041
Do some research man..you can get a new 1SS right now for 30k
>>
>>16002121
I was talking about the panel gap
>>
>>16002046
If I were you I would take that 10k and buy something cheap and fast. And like others said, if you aren't already you should be pouring money in your 401k or equivalent if you can. The allure is great, but why would you buy a newish car o not be your dd?
>>
>>16002046
Because if you lose that job tomorrow for whatever stupid fucking reason you're solidly up shit's creek.

Look for a 2005-2008 350Z for $9-12k, keep the money on the side.

A E46 M3 is not a reliable dependable daily driver with low running costs (saying this as the owner of a E36, they have expensive tires/fluids, valve adjustments every 30,000 miles, and you'll likely be in the hole at least a couple of grand out the gate refreshing the cooling system and whatever rubber/plastic parts wore out + subframe tearing). It's still what was at one point equivalent to a $60,000 USD sports car. The OEM parts costs aren't that bad but the maintenance frequency will be. Very fulfilling to own, but I'd get a second car (used Civic or N/A Subaru) as a daily.
>>
>>16002046
Those cars cost far too much for what you make anon. We're not all saying it because we don't want you to have fun.
>>
>>16003817
>but I'd get a second car (used Civic or N/A Subaru) as a daily.
Can you read? He said in the OP that he had a DD already.
>>
>>16001041
>Makes $30k/year
>Wants to buy a $30k car

Stick to the golden rule bud - buy a car that's half your annual income, and doesn't come with horrendous maintenance costs.
>>
you can get a last gen for ~15k, go with that

yes it is uglier, but you can get the 5.0
>>
>>16002086
beautiful car
whats your yearly income if you don't mind me asking ?

i'm considering the ecoboost now. i'd like to test drive one though as turbo's can be a bit finicky.
>>
>>16002862
i considered the 1SS but everyone talks about how shit the visibility is that alone is enough to dissuade me from getting the car
>>
>>16001041
Shouldn't you be saving for a house? What's wrong with your current car?
>>
>>16004567
Something no one mentions is that Ecoboost is nothing special for fuel economy. Its pretty efficient while cruising, but as soon as you start driving hard and the turbos kick in, you start getting almost the same gas mileage as the V8. And since its turbo'd, you need to put in premium fuel, while the V6 and V8 can take unleaded or plus.
>>
>>16003690
The problem with cars in that range is that they will be older and not as reliable. when something breaks you still have to fix it. plus the cost of constant upkeep.correct me if i'm wrong if i get a 10,000 cheap fast car now in 4 years i will have put in 10,000 bringing the total cost of of the car to 20,000.

This is also why i'm leaning more towards the Mustang GT
>>
Just to make the math easier on everyone:

$25,000/60mo @ 3.0% is $449 a month

Do you plan to keep the Mustang for like 7-10 years? If not I'd suggest looking into leasing. There's really no need to commit $30k + taxes on a rapidly depreciating asset like a Mustang - that thing is going to lose like $3000-4000+ in value a year easily. It makes sense if it's going to be your long term vehicle because you'll actually own the car at some point, but if you're going to finance for 3-5 years and then trade it in or buy another car then it's really not worth "buying" the Mustang GT.

That is, unless you live in a place where leasing awful.
>>
File: 1372396051353.jpg (7KB, 167x144px) Image search: [Google]
1372396051353.jpg
7KB, 167x144px
>>16004651
>you lose mpg when you drive hard
Wow. Thanks anon. We really appreciate the input. I would have never figured that out on my own
>>
>>16004654
Fuck no. If you buy one that has already had the expensive repairs done it should be fine. But don't go M3. just get a manual 330i with or without ZHP for <10k
>>
The MAIN reason to consider the Mustang GT over the Ecoboost is that affordable V8's are a dying breed. Sure, we've still got the Mustang GT but the V8 Camaro is getting more and more expensive - how long before both the Mustang GT and the Camaro 1SS both become cars with a 40k+ base price?
>>
>>16002086
>with the ecoboost just dont floor it in 5th or 6th below 2250 rpms.

Ignorant here.

What's the reason for this advice?
>>
>>16004695
>"affordable v8's are a dying breed"
*glances at used crown victorias and mustangs*
>>
>>16001322
What a sad and joyless life you live.
>>
>>16004680
>being a stupid gay faggot
I was just politely explaining that the 4 cylinder Ecoboost meme is stupid because you'll spend pretty much the same amount on gas as with the big angry V8
>>
>>16004695
its over $40k out the door for a Mustang GT
>>
>>16004761
Its supposedly bad if you lug turbocharged engines at Low rpm
Something something boost related
>>
>>16001041
Have you thought about a 2012-2014 mustang GT? lot's of power good handling, decent looks and can be had for under 20k. You could always go for a Laguna Seca model if you really wanted something fast for the money, but they are back to the 30k neighborhood.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.