[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

okay so I changed the spark plugs in my car and now they are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 8

File: E3_Spark_Plugs_2_Plug_Image.jpg (181KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
E3_Spark_Plugs_2_Plug_Image.jpg
181KB, 1500x1000px
okay so I changed the spark plugs in my car and now they are making a loud popping sound coming from the engine periodically. It's a 2005 mustang gt. I didn't gap them and I made sure everything was tight. It seems like it's only coming from the right sound.

wtf could this be?
>>
And they are exactly the same plugs as the previous ones?

You could try switching them around and see if the problem still continues
>>
>>15994615
yeah man, motorcraft sp514 oems

I don't have any engine lights coming on so I have no idea cylinder it is

It had rough idle at first but now it doesn't. Except every minute or two the engine makes a loud popping thumping sound.
>>
Also it literally NEVER did this before the change. None of this.
>>
>>15994610
did you overtighten the plugs?
>>
Did you put the coil packs back in the correct order?
>>
>>15994698
What do you mean? It's impossible to put them in the wrong place, they can't go far enough.
>>
>>15994698
pretty sure he would have had some type of engine failure if he didn't put the coil packs in the right order. All the premature detentions and whatnot?
>>
>>15994709
If you overtightened the plugs the ceramic portion could have separated from the plug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef1ElCVN64k
>>
>>15994610
>I didn't gap them
What do you think?
>>
>>15994730

Gapping rarely makes any difference on modern cars.

As long as there is a gap, out of the box, it's typically fine.
>>
You didnt gap them? Christ anon i wonder what it could be
>>
>>15994740
Yeah, but you have a problem, and that's the one thing you've done that's not normal, unless you messed up your coilpacks.

If it's the one fucking thing you did different, don't you think maybe it's worth going in and gapping them before spending a bunch of time chasing gremlins that might not be there?
>>
>>15994740
>Hey /o/ im so fucking stupid i need help with sparkplugs

did you gap them?

>no, I know everything and gapping plugs doesn't matter.
You goddamn tard, one of those plugs could have had the gap shorted closed and you wouldn't be the wiser. Pull them and gap them and then come back.
>>
File: 10058905_mot_sp514_pri_larg.jpg (9KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
10058905_mot_sp514_pri_larg.jpg
9KB, 450x450px
Okay, I just pulled everything. They are all fine. Nothing happened or snapped. The coil on plugs are okay and the spark plugs are okay. So what could it be?

How do I gap these plugs? They don't have the normal shit that other plugs have.
>>
pls help anons
>>
Could it be because I put anti seize on the spark plug electrode?
>>
>>15995245
why the fuck would you do that
>>
>>15995262
The Ford TSB says to do that

On the elecctrode, not the strap
>>
File: imwet.jpg (42KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
imwet.jpg
42KB, 720x480px
>>15995277
>>
>>15994610
take out the plugs then put them back in again. you didnt stick them in the engine properly the popping is air escaping from when you didnt put them in at the right angle.
>>
OP. Remove the plugs, inspect them, and put them back in. A quarter turn with the ratchet after tightening them by hand.

Make sure the coils/wires are in correct order. Sounds like something is firing out of order.
>>15995245

Antiseize goes on the thread only.
>>
>>15994920
Make sure the coil plug wires are correct.
They are not always labeled, do not rely on their length,or bend to determine where they were.
>>
So I took off the anti seize from the electrode and it still makes the popping sound. It sounds like a bag or balloon popping man. Any other ideas of what it can be?
>>
What do you mean popping noise. Is it like a backfire? describe it.
>>
>>15995652
My mustang makes popping noises in the exhaust on cold starts because the ecu drips unburnt fuel into the exhaust. Could that be it? Or is it like coming from the engine itself.
>>
>>15995679
Dude, it is like literaly a bag popping ONCE. It happens every 30 seconds to two minutes. The first time with anti seize on the electrode ( as stated by Ford to do ), it had really rough idle then got better but then made the pop sound.

Like imagine popping one of those air bubbles you get stuff shipped in. A big one. It comes from the front of the car. It never did this before. And it's doing it on idle. I haven't taken it out of the garage yet.
>>
>>15995715
I think you're just retarded and fucked er good anon.

Just take it to the quicky jew and let them give her a looky loo.
>>
>>15995715
Did you make sure the plug wires are in correctly?

Do you have a check engine light?

Does the idle sound rough?

How does the car drive?

how long have you idled it for?

what else did you disconnect?

what is the ambient temperature?

shit could just be running rich on a cold start
>>
You may have ruined your spark plug wires. The carbon or whatever inside is broken and arcing inside the spark high tension lead which is the popping you hear
>>
>>15996008
Use a multimeter set to ohms and test for continuity between the connector for the spark plug and the connector on the coil pack. Should be about 1000 ohms per foot of resistance in the high tension leads. If it's over 10 000 or says (depending on what your multimeter brand) overload, infinity, open you know it's a bad spark plug wire.
>>
>>15994776
tfw I dropped a sparkplug closing the gap when I redid swapped them in my mustang. What a fucking pain the ass it was diagnosing that.
>>
Okay my niggers, I took it for a test drive about 5 miles.

Here's what I came up with. NO signs of misfiring at all. No shaking or anything. BUT the pop was still there. Only during idle or when the RPMs got very low during decel. Could this be backfiring because I'm running rich? I was in the process of tuning my car with BAMA and they said I had a fuel inconsisteny. Since I put new plugs in, is my car in return shooting more fuel in causing the gas to explode in the exhaust?
>>
>>15996042
Any ideas gents?

Is my idle just fucked and needs to be retuned? Why was it not doing it before and only now? The car runs fine. No surges or shakes either. That only happened for the first 1 minute or so after the first install.
>>
File: 1440292996655.png (567KB, 580x655px) Image search: [Google]
1440292996655.png
567KB, 580x655px
>>15996103
Run it in the dark with the hood open. If you can see arcing or sparking you fucked yer wires.
>>
Let the car run with the hood open and see if the plugs are arcing
>>
Take them out and check the gap, then try gapping them down .2mm and try again. Very rarely can you buy plugs with the exact gap you need
>>
File: AstickShiggydiggydoo.jpg (13KB, 243x232px) Image search: [Google]
AstickShiggydiggydoo.jpg
13KB, 243x232px
>People saying gap

>2016
>Not getting the specific plugs for your car with the correct gap
>>
>>15996295
This lmao I've never had non gapped plugs
>>
>>15996188
>>15996171
Done that. No sparking or anything.

Is my tune just running too rich and new plugs are amplifying it?
>>
>>15996295
>paying extra just to avoid 5 minutes of work with a feeler gauge or gapping tool

I bet you lazy cunts get meme'd platinum plugs too so you 'don't have to change them as often'
>>
>>15996463
nigga i dont got time to be gapping plugs when im out riding and foul one
>>
So do any of you have any ideas? It runs smooth but it makes the pop sound at idle. Kind of like a backfire but a little louder and lower pithced.

Am I just running rich and my new plugs are showing the symotins better?
>>
>>15994768
>don't you think maybe it's worth going in and gapping them
No.
They are pre gapped from factory and are shipped with electrode protectors.
Its not 1957 pal Fuck off
>>
File: 1465116042386.jpg (45KB, 291x280px) Image search: [Google]
1465116042386.jpg
45KB, 291x280px
ITT:
>OP fits new spark plugs
>OP covers electrodes with anti seize copper paste
>OP wonders why his idle is fucked up
>OP is retarded
Never change /o/
>>
>>15996517
It LITERALLY states in the Ford TSB to do this. And why does it only pop at idle and not any other time?
>>
>>15996527
when do you ever listen to ford?
>>
>>15996527
Take a picture of TSB and post it please.
>>
>>15996535
http://www.brokensparkplug.com/TSB_08-7-6_Pg1.pdf
>>
File: fuckingfordsman.jpg (53KB, 458x448px) Image search: [Google]
fuckingfordsman.jpg
53KB, 458x448px
>>
>>15996557
N I C K E L
>>
>>15994920

When you pulled the old ones, they came out looking like that, right?
The front part didnt break off, did it?
>>
>>15996591
Nope, none of them broke.

It just literally doesn't make any sense man! It's the same exact brand and model spark plugs, everything is tight, nothing is broken, same exact everything. It runs smooth, it just makes a poping sound during idle. I think it's coming from the header area.
>>
>>15996602
Take one out and replace it with an old one.
See if it still acts different.
If it does, pull the next one and replace it with the old one.
Keep going down the line until you find the problem.
????
Profit.
>>
>>15996610
Nigger that's gonna take forever with 8 cylinders
>>
>>15996623
Okay.
>>
>>15996482
2 stroke dirt bike owner detected
I bet it's an RM250, they foul plugs like nobody's business
>>
Well antiseize goes on the plug threads....and the 3 valves are fucking NOTORIOUS for the plugs getting waaay to tight over time, so dont tighten them with the force/leverage of a thousand suns.
>>
>>15995715
Does the engine shake/ vibrate alot more then before. If you changed your wires too look up the firing order and make sure there in the the right place. I did the same shit when i changed my plugs in my old mustang. What you describe is wwhatwas happening to my car
>>
make a vid so we can hear it running.
>>
>>15996623
Do you want to solve the issue or not?
>>
OP, m8
you've either got the plugs wired up wrong, or fouled the plugs.
There's nothing else that it could be.
>>
File: 1460687704487.jpg (159KB, 1916x1076px) Image search: [Google]
1460687704487.jpg
159KB, 1916x1076px
>it's a how many ecoboost retards does it take to change a sparkplug episode
>>
>>15996032
I've done it too m8, its why you check them.
>>
>>15996623
Either try it or gtfo and go to a mechanic because you're too lazy to follow advice.
>>
Okay, so I just put in all the old spark plugs and the car runs perfectly fine...

I'm guessing one or more of the old plugs was shit. Could this have been when I I put anti seize on them?
>>
>>15998088
If you used too much anti-seize, it's conductive and can short your high voltage ignition to ground. Only a SMALL dab a few threads AWAY from the tip is required.

Also, go to Mustang and Ford general forums for detailed info. /o/ is just /b/ with engines.
>>
>>15998227
Why the hell did Ford put out a TSB to put it on the electrode than? Any clue why it did that only during idle?
>>
>>15998245
because the design is shit as fuck.
the plugs get stuck in the head so the anti seize will prevent that. if you finished reading the fucking TSB you'd know that.

Mong
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.