/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tools thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 9000GS6O.jpg (162KB, 500x364px) Image search: [Google]
9000GS6O.jpg
162KB, 500x364px
I want to invest in a nice set of tools. I have a hodge podge collection of Craftsman and Kobalt wrenches, sockets, and screwdrivers, but now I'm in a situation where I have the fund to really get a nice tool box and fill it with things I would need for most projects. What does /o/ use? Snap-On? Craftsman? You tell me what's good.
>>
old proto
armstrong
stahlwille

all very good. some people love cornwell. i hate mac and snap on. their stuff is less hardened
>>
>>15994559
At the shop it's a mix of snapon, cornwell, and MAC. Some cheap shit (like magnet bowls) are from Harbor Freight.
>>
>>15994504
95% of Snap On stuff will be a huge waste of money for your garage at home. But if you want to waste the money, go for it. I can't say I wouldn't want a garage full of Snap-On stuff if I had $80k to spend on tools.

You should buy a nice Kobalt or Craftsman set, a good box or two, and spend the rest of what you would spend on a Snap On socket set on a nice compressor and air tools.
>>
File: a4635_0[1].jpg (26KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
a4635_0[1].jpg
26KB, 400x300px
I'm typing this as a fat norwegian, and thus the brands I talk about might not be available

I'll go with cheap stuff like Biltema, Stanley and similar brands when buying simple tools like spanners, wrenches, hammers, socket wrenches and anything that is made of solid metal and doesn't really get worn out

When I'm buying tools that take a beating, have more finicky parts and where the quality of the manufacturing really, really matters I'll prefer Würth if available, but I'll settle for Teng Tools.
>>
>>15994575
having tried most of them i really cannot recommend the mac or snap on stuff.
williams a shit too.
i had a 11/16 mac wrench in hand and a 11/16 armstrong in the other. i tried to tighten a bolt with the mac first, it marred the jaws right away.
the armstrong had no signs of use on the same bolt, and i managed to tighten it a little more, so it had a hair more torque on it.
fuck mac, and snap on sockets are soft as fuck
>>
Craftsmen and Makita. All of my bits and high speed 1/4 in impact shit is milwaukee
>>
>>15994623
Been using them for 11 years, I don't seem to have that problem.
>>
>>15994636
use them side by side then. how else can you compare?
i like Tekton too.
>>
>>15994659
I've used many tools from many companies. Never had an issue. Build engines all the time, never had a problem. Build shop race cars never had a problem. No need to try every single company side by side, snap on is fine.
>>
>>15994666
snap on is only ok if you don't need to pay for it. if you have less money, Tekton is fine.
>>
>>15994666
>I've used tools from many companies
>suggests snap-on

If you're not a garage who needs the warranty, on-site replacement, special tools, and customer service there is literally NO REASON to choose snap-on. They do not have the quality to match their price.

For most things, garbage tools will do (wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers). Battery powered things require research to find a brand that has good batteries, but easily Google-able. Power and air tools are generally better to go name-brand. Having used a mix of everything from mastercraft to MAC and snap-on, power tools should be one or two steps up from the cheap shit if you plan to keep them for more than a couple of years.

However WHICH name brand matters very little. One brand might have great drills but terrible grinders. Just wait for sales, look at reviews before you buy, and keep your OCD out of the equation.
>>
>>15994584
I used a full set of Wurth tools for the first time a few weeks ago at factory training, a lot of them are really nice, they had a really cool 1/4" drive 4-20nm torque wrench that I'm going to get if I can find a USA supplier.
>>
>>15994707
Genuinely great advice.

Don't fall for the tool truck meme, they are a relic of the past. Yes, snap on, mac, matco, etc... all make damn great tools, but now a days the top tier Horrible Freight imports are nearly as good for a fraction of the cost.

As with anything, do some research on what you want to buy, read the reviews, and pick what will work best for you.
>>
File: CM.150A_PH04.png (270KB, 567x382px) Image search: [Google]
CM.150A_PH04.png
270KB, 567x382px
Facom.
Facom all the way.
>>
>>15994584
We have wurth in the US. I've never seen a company waste so many hundreds of millions on marketing to sell their shit tier products. The sell good stuff elsewhere?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.