[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on Turbo cars

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 10

File: 005.jpg (37KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
005.jpg
37KB, 500x375px
Really want to either buy a turbo'd Civic or buy a stock Acura Integra GSR and turbo it. I know about engine rebuilding and yadda yadda. Are Turbos in general a meme? Are they expensive to maintain? Is it really worth to turbo a car?
>>
>>15992430
As someone who has never owned turbo but has been in a couple and has been dying for one forever, id have to say its up to you to decide what you want. Turbo boost is not unlike ejaculation. A buildup to an amazing time. If you dont know how to turbo do youre research cause that shit can get real expensive real quick if you fuck up. Also as long as you arent on boost consistently it can provide a very slight boost in fuel economy.

>A meme

Take that back you nigger.
>>
>>15992430
Unless it uses its own oil a turbo will decrease oil change mileage by a third if not half. Not really worth it for a DD, IMO.
>>
Bump pls wait for my response (pg 10)
>>
If youre going to go na t you must remember a few things
Setup the turbo drain properly and you wont havr any issues with the turbo smoking
Tap the oilpan so the turbo drains at a level thats above the oil when the pan is full. Taking off the pan and filling it with the oil capacity of the engine; with water is a neat trick to find the ideal location for ur turbo drain. Weld in a 10an bung because those cheapo ebay bolt on bungs constrict to 8 or even 6 an in the worse offering from china.

Turbo drain is fickle. If you do not drain the turbo properly then the turbo will smoke. A horizontal run in the line will make ur turbo smoke. A slight crimp in the 10 an line will make it smoke. Having the center housing off axis too much (improper clocking)will cause a smoking turbo

Use hairspray when fitting your charge pipes. Theyll seal better and be less likely to pop off when youre boosting

An mls headgasket is goat
Because youre c:r is high to begin with, being an na motor.

Blow through maf is far better than pull through and you get to use a bov

Dont cheap out on the turbo, bov or wastegate, if your chinese wastegate fails to open then you have a several thousand dollar problem on your hands. If op is still here i can continue
>>
I just got done building a turbocharged Civic. Go for a d series, if you fuck it up you can find full motors for a couple hundred bucks all day. I bought one blown up for $200, bought an engine for $150 and got it running properly very cheaply. I'm running a d16y8, ARP head studs, XTD eBay stage 4 clutch, eBay turbo kit pieced together, chipped ECU tuned on Crome running 5psi. If you want cheap just buy everything from eBay except the turbocharger and wastegate. Most everything else should be fine. My car was built for around 1k and it's pretty quick (for a honda)
>>
>>15992430
>:(

Don't fall for the meme, always go with a dohc vtec setup

B series is what you're looking for...
>>
What are the bestest cheapest reliable light weight turbo cars you can buy right now?
Stock turbo
>>
>>15992430
>Are Turbos in general a meme?
Yeah, totally. LS1 swap it instead.
>>
>>15992430
Alright, take this from someone who has done some research.

1. It never hurts to do some research on compressor maps and turbine maps. These can allow you to effectively match a turbo for your engine, and your power goal. Never buy into the meme of "bigger is better" because here's the deal:

2. Bigger displacement engines spool turbos faster. When they say there's no replacement for displacement, it even stands for turbo cars.

3. This is why bigger turbos aren't always the answer. If a smaller turbo will satisfy the power requirements effectively, go for it. You'll enjoy the improved transient response.

4. If you can find one with water cooling, just do it and route the extra plumbing. Oil only tends to cook itself.

5. It never hurts to run it -slightly- rich to be on the safe side, especially when tuning it in. Also worth getting to target power slowly. Don't tune it for full blast all at once, especially after a fresh rebuild, let the engine break itself in.

That's a good starting point, there's a lot more to it. In the end, a well-done setup shouldn't prove too heavy on maintenance.

JUST MAKE SURE IT'S DONE RIGHT. Don't cheap out on EGay turbochargers. The extra money spent now is less of a headache later.
>>
>>15994706
what about a twin turbo set up but its two very small turbos
>>
>>15994716
Depends. I'd usually only recommend twin-turbos if you are working with an engine with two banks.

It's almost pointless on an inline engine.
>>
power is not instant, pulling out from stop signs during rush hour is a pain if your turbo is big enough
>>
>>15994726
Another thing, if only two cylinders are feeding a turbo, you run into severe inefficiency due to the more sporadic exhaust pulsing.

Mentioning due to flat fours from subaru.
>>
>>15994726
Where can I read more about this stuff in laymans terms so I know what the fuck I'm doing in a conversion?

I'm thinking of either using a E100 Corolla so a 4AFE engine or an EK Civic with its d series
>>
>>15994716
Should be reserved only for Z32-tier engine bays in which you cannot route exhaust over to a single larger turbo, or if you're back in the 1990s when turbo efficiency/heat characteristics favored smaller twins in some circumstances.

Modern ball bearing turbos, run one big one.
>>
Motors that were designed to be naturally aspirated can be finicky when you put a turbo on them due to things like cam profiles, compression rating, etc. You can't just bolt a turbo to an NA motor and expect it to be reliable or last as long as it would have normally. If you want it to last, you will definitely have to at the very least have it professionally tuned. On top of that, there may still be some other things you have to do, depending on the application. Such as running a higher minimum octane than it originally required, running colder spark plugs, installing new pistons/rods/head shims to lower the compression, upgrading the fuel pump and/or injectors.

If you do it cheap, or you can do it right.
>>
>>15994737
Superchargers are almost always a cheaper and easier install. Just throwin it out there.
>>
>>15994737
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/

I know it's Garrett's site, but the turbo tech section does have a shitload of info.

It delves down pretty deep into stuff, even housing A/R's and the effects on how the turbo works through that.
>>
>>15994737
Buy Mark Warner's Street Turbocharging, or pirate a PDF.
>>
>>15994745
I'd personally go the route of making sure there's a deeper dish in the piston.

I personally wouldn't fuck with shimming the head too much.
>>
>>15994649
Fiat 500 Abarth maybe?
>>
>>15994749
>superchargers
twin superchargers!?!?!?
>>
>>15994726
Pretty much, unless you're talking about a sequential system where there's a small turbo that spools up quick that is used to help spool up a second larger turbo. But those kinds of setups are a bit of a nightmare to get right.
>>
>>15994749
>>15994739
Superchargers aren't as cool because they dont have the MAXIMUM POWER coolness that turbos bring or the cool sounds and gurgles and delayed gratifications
>>
>>15994766
He said reliable
>>
>>15994649
Saab 900?
Volvo 850?

There are plenty of cheap, reliable turbo cars, but none of them are really lightweight, since they all tend to be commuter turbomeme cars where some eurofag designer needed to squeeze 40 more hp out of a 90hp block so their airbag bunker fortress would be able to pass Sven's tractor in less than 45 seconds.

And most cars that were lightweight didn't need a turbo to do that, so turbos in light cars are planted firmly in the sports segment, which takes cheap out of the equation.

But since you said cheapest, look at turbo supra IIIs, Z31s, maybe beaten-on Z32s, second gen turbo RX7s (don't fall for the unreliable or premix memes) there's probably some gay turbo jetta that some fag will tell you is fun but it'll be fwd so don't believe his lies, maybe you can find a 280zx (but it weighs like 3000lb anyway), starions/conquest TSIs, dodge daytona turbos

t. weebcar guy
>>
>>15994809

>it'll be fwd so dont believe his lies
Fuck off
>>
>>15994781
Yeeeeeeeah...
>>
File: 23289430182_large.jpg (90KB, 575x431px) Image search: [Google]
23289430182_large.jpg
90KB, 575x431px
>>15994733
That's not correct. On the subie flat fours, all four cylinders do feed the turbo. It's the unequal length of the exhaust manifold (seen at the top of the attached image) that causes the uneven exhaust pulse and odd turbo behavior.

This is why a lot of aftermarket headers for subaru's are configured differently, to make both sides of the manifold have equal travel lengths (seen at the bottom of the attached image) which evens out the exhaust pulses.
>>
File: 1376708336853.png (177KB, 337x404px) Image search: [Google]
1376708336853.png
177KB, 337x404px
>>15994828
>Jettas
>>
>>15992430
why turbo a shitty fwd car? get a rwd you ape
>>
>>15994840
...I was more mentioning why I wouldn't do a twin setup on a Subie, but okay.
>>
>>15994763
yeah shimming is a bit of a poorfag option for lowering compression. It works, but it creates a weak point.
>>
>>15994861
Well, it can be a poorfag solution, but if you're getting forged internals, may as well make sure they're a deeper dish than stock if you've got more than 9.0:1 on a stock CR.
>>
>>15994859
oh, gotcha. I didn't see you were talking about a 2 turbo setup.
>>
File: 1271952707507.jpg (17KB, 298x200px) Image search: [Google]
1271952707507.jpg
17KB, 298x200px
/o/ has never shown itself to have so little experience/such a lack of knowledge in one thread

y'all have no idea what you're talking about
>>
>>15994861
Shimming with two headgaskets is poorfag tier. Running a thicker copper or MLS headgasket is reasonable tier for if you want 1 or less cr reduction but don't want to buy pistons.

Pistons are generally the better way to do it but I would have no qualms with going from a 0.013" HG to a 0.3" on my VFR500 to boost it.
>>
File: man-thumbs-up.png (170KB, 600x570px) Image search: [Google]
man-thumbs-up.png
170KB, 600x570px
>>15994891
hey, nice shitpost bro!
>>
>>15994901
A thick MLS head gasket isn't too bad, doesn't create nearly as much of weakpoint as shimming.

Of course, in moderation.
>>
File: IMG_8132.jpg (212KB, 1032x928px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8132.jpg
212KB, 1032x928px
>>15994891
Do you know where you are?
>>
File: lowqualitybait.jpg (16KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
lowqualitybait.jpg
16KB, 600x600px
>>15994891
>>
I daily a turbo car just have to worry about gas mileage and not even much
>>
>>15994906
to be fair, that guy was probably just fucking around
>>
I have no experience in this area. Ask me nothing.
>>
>>15994948
are EK coupes...bad? what is Honda
>>
File: IMG_0465.jpg (75KB, 630x575px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0465.jpg
75KB, 630x575px
>>15994945
No. People are that stupid. I remember that thread.
>>
>>15994948
>FWD drag racing

how do you live with yourself
>>
>>15994980
by buying a 73 nova NIGGAAAAA. fox is mine too.
>>
>>15995003
so RWD is the only way?
>>
Buy a car that is already turbo, it'll be significantly less of a headache. Turbos aren't that much of a maintenance headache, just a few more oil lines/seals to keep an eye on. I change my oil and plugs often enough already because I get bored, but you'll still get 10,000 kms out of ngk copper plugs and about the same out of oil provided there isn't some kind of problem. If you buy a quality turbo, waste gate, controller, gauge and bov you should be fine.
>>
how the hell do i rig up supply lines for oil and shit?
i mean cars dont usually come with connections with oil pressure behind them right?
>>
>>15995003
muh dick
>>
>>15995676
On most engines you can either put a T fitting between the block and the oil sender unit, or you can buy a "sandwich plate" that goes in between the oil filter and the block.

The oil return is simple, you just put a threaded bung on your oil pan and run a line to it.
>>
Go on engineering explained and look up turbo stuff. It's not too hard.
>>
>>15996537
Nah mate you can just watch them do it on haggard garage
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.