[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why is rwd considered superior

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 8

File: Vanishing-Point-Car.jpg (211KB, 1280x694px) Image search: [Google]
Vanishing-Point-Car.jpg
211KB, 1280x694px
why is rwd considered superior
>>
hektik skidz
>>
>>15991244
Weight shift when you accelerate puts RWD cars at an advantage over FWD cars because the weight is shifting over to the drive wheels.

Basically: FWD is for easy maneuvering at low speed while remaining compact and leaves the cabin more spacious (no drive shaft tunnel), and RWD is ideal for hard acceleration and has better side-to-side weight distribution
>>
>>15991323
Nah
>>
Purity of driving, mostly.
It takes more skill to drive a high output RWD car fast than it does an AWD. If your back end slips and you aren't quick in your adjustments, and fluid in your corrections, your ass will come swinging around on you.

And in an AWD car, it's easy. You just put your foot down and it goes, and it's fun. God, it's a fuckin blast man.

But you sit down behind the wheel of a 427CID, 700WHP, RWD monstrosity with a god-intended 6-speed manual gearbox and a clutch pedal, and you start driving down those windy back country roads, it's something entirely different. It's indescribable.

When you gain that single focus, when you see the line, when you hit those apex's every time, when you shift just right out of the corner and the power goes from your right foot to the wheels, and your body gets slammed back into the seat from the G's...There's nothing like it.
You feel...Alive. Knowing that with the slightest fuckup, one over-correction, one missed shift, one stomp on the gas too hard, and you could very well be wrapped around those trees screaming past...

It's fuckin' glorious.
>>
>>15991341
Also you can do hektik drifts and burnouts
>>
>>15991341
But he's objectively correct.
>>
>>15991345
FWD drifts fine
>>
>>15991348
dont be stupid
>>
>>15991348
There is no true drifting with fwd.

This is something normies should learn.
>>
>>15991348
just die already
>>
>>15991451
drifting is just sustained oversteer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zle1vSCXThY

you can get sideways without standing on the accelerator or touching the handbrake. this is something bad drivers should learn.
>>
>>15991465
Stop being obtuse
>>
>>15991344

>This
>>
>>15991465

M8 that's a powerslide.
>>
>>15991348

It is not drifting. And leave your mom`s FWD econoshitbox.
>>
File: tumblr_m9n0qyma1d1rpqn0wo1_400.gif (971KB, 350x233px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m9n0qyma1d1rpqn0wo1_400.gif
971KB, 350x233px
>>15991472
>>
Is FWD can drift a new meme or something
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3840x2160px
>>15991348
>>
File: dumb.png (26KB, 735x374px) Image search: [Google]
dumb.png
26KB, 735x374px
>>15991485
cool oversteer dude..

not drifting

without power there's no control. you obviously have very little performance driving experience, which is fine just stop pretending to know what you're talking about.
>>
>>15991485
If you try this on tires that aren't already completely fucked and useless you're pretty dumb
>>
>>15991493
>=n-no its not drifting!
but it is tho, you literally cannot objectively prove me wrong

>you can control slides in fwd with the throttle, maybe you should take your own advice
>>
>>15991501
see the image
>>
>>15991348
>fwd
>drift
Kek, m8
>>
>>15991465
That's just wet sliding
>>
>>15991344
/thread
>>
DRIFTING MAN!!

Besides, all these cars going to electric handbrakes mean no more fun handle with front wheel drive.
>>
>>15991344
I know it's heresy, but this is basically the entire reason Matt Farah loved the #nofucksgiven rx7 so much

Nothing but pure life-or-imminent death driving experience.
>>
>>15993697
There was nothing wrong with that RX7. It started out in shit shape anyway.
>>
>>15991504
>>15991501
>>15993612

was my autotragic SR5 a good idea guys?
>>
cheapest rwd drive you can think of, NO MIATAS
>>
>>15993846
Panther good luck with the manual swap.
>>
>>15993846
BAĐ— )))))))
>>
>>15991348
hektik skidz != drifting

although fwd scandi flicks can be cool as fuark
>>
>>15991344
That was beautiful man.
>>
>>15994539
drifting=drifting kid
>>
>>15993846
BRZ
Mustang
Camaro
Colorado
Ranger
Tacoma
Frontier
Ridgeline
>>
>>15995071
how are those cheap you cuckold?
>>
>>15994524
Translation for the non-slavs:

VAZ :) (Lada)
>>
File: Screenshot_20161013-213649.jpg (2MB, 1055x7474px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161013-213649.jpg
2MB, 1055x7474px
>>15995074
How are they not?
>>
>>15995120
oh my fucking god that is some $$$$$$
>>
>>15991244
Most even way to share the burden of tire wear.

FF and AWD punish the front tires more than a "properly setup" RWD. Don't get me wrong, RWD isn't some magic cure-all for understeer and some RWD American and Japanese cars understeer more than some FFs I've driven.
>>
>>15991344
Be honest, you were jerking off while you were writing this weren't you
>>
>>15991244
>why do people prefer rwd's?

The expectation
>>15991323
>>15991344

The reality
>>15991345
>>
quick question, i have a rwd car i just bought with GARBAGE chinese tires of several different brands...i literally cannot drive more than the speed limit in a straight line without feeling i'll be wrapped around a pole.

when i swap to some actual high performance tires...is it going to be better?

this is my first rwd, i'm used to awd having superb grip and i'm praying this is not just the tires being pure fucking trash.

does anyone drive their rwd around corners at well above the speed limit, without approaching grip limit?

or does the back always slide out, no matter how good your tires are (assuming you're not going full ham on the throttle, just driving semi-hard)
>>
>>15996584
no, tires dont matter that much, your car could be royally fucked. next time inspect what you buy.
>>
>>15996605
i got a prepurchase inspection, there seem to be no suspension issues, no rust or anything, so i dunno.

i think my diff is also fucked though so perhaps that also plays a huge part?
>>
>>15993846

AW11
>>
>>15996605
>tires dont matter that much

As expected of a true busrider

>>15996584
As in, you don't feel the car connected to the road? Tyres make a massive difference in this regard, but first things first. Do a wheel alignment first, see how it turns out.
Nonetheless I'd still grab a nice set of tyres. You don't need to go for the top of the line ones, even decent tyres from a reliable brand should give you good road feedback (assuming of course you avoid their budget eco tyres).

Just out of curiosity, what car is it?
>>
File: 20160221_161318.jpg (2MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160221_161318.jpg
2MB, 2048x1152px
So... RWD is like manual in that it's an artificial handicap to make yourself feel more "hero"?

That's as retarded as walking 10 miles to work everyday instead of driving "because it's a greater challenge" "more rewarding bro" "I feel so accomplished" etc.

Srsly, so bored that you literally have to handicap yourself with less stability and greater risk of death just to circlejerk yourself about how you're superior? I don't understand.

Is there an objective reason why RWD is superior in performance, cuz it sounds like it's much worse in handling.
>>
>>15996743
miata. i just feel nervous when driving it.
>>
>>15996605
Tyres have made the single biggest difference on all of my RWD cars.
>>
>>15995120
>V6 Mustang
lol
>>
>>15996752
Other way around bro, RWD is best for handling but, other than AWD, worst for parasitic losses etc
>>
>>15996755
Get normal namebrand matching tires.
Wheels and tires can make all the difference in the world for pulling under braking and instability.
You should also go find the edge of grip somewhere other than the street so you actually know what you're talking about. If you're in a miata and think that you're going to spin out and die because you're speeding you probably don't actually know the limits of the car.
>>
>>15996755

Don't own a miata myself, but I know a couple of things from searching on them (precisely tyres, as na's and nb's use a similar size to my car, and the only community for this one is the "mount 17' wheels and drop it 100mm" one, so searching on more tracked Cars is a good workaround). So it can help if you own one of them. If it's an nc and onward, ymmv.

And yes, the miata chassis is very sensitive to the tyres used, especially na's and nb's. Not only the tyre quality, but also size, there are multiple, and I mean multiple reports of lost responsiveness with wheels and tyres that are too large, so check what's mounted, and don't overdo it. Depending on the suspension used of course, 195/50 15 is usually considered the sweet spot, with plenty availability. 185/60 14 is also a great choice, but these are getting harder and harder to find each year.
If you want to go extreme, on the wheel+tyre combo, the lighter the better, a nice lightweight 15' wheel will do you wonders on road feel
>>
>>15996775
i mean, i've gone a lot more aggressive in other cars like a mate's wrx, i obviously expected rwd to have less grip than awd but this is just insane.

i don't want to go full nuts, but i want to be able to overtake someone in a straight line without shitting bricks.

i know for a fact the tires are crap, plus the diff might be busted.

do these things make such a difference?

also, if i was to lower the car a bit would it help in a straight line or just in corners?
>>
>>15996803

Want my honestly opinion? Before thinking about modifying, fix what you got. Only then you can have an idea of what to do next.
Start with tyres and alignment. Check if the rolling assembly has any worn parts (bearings, transmisson arms, etc. Yes they can affect road feel), and also if there's any play in the steering rack
>>
>>15996803
RWD doesn't have less grip than AWD.
In a straight line at moderate speed in your very low power application you're not going to have any grip issues in the dry.
Over 100 in your lightweight car with essentially no aero you will start to get floaty, this is normal.
You're not going to be sliding out by going WOT around bends 50% over the speed limit in a stock miata.
You should have a very hard time getting the rear loose if you've got anything close to decent tires on it.
>>
>>15991244
If you change the sparkplug cables from stock to red colored ones, the FWD car will have way too much power for the front wheels to handle, since they also have to do steering. You'll be crushed by torque steer and wheelspin and everything making the car useless.

Meanwhile on a RWD car you can slap on 20 turbos, supercharger and an extra alternator and remain controllable.
>>
File: 1475245447030.jpg (125KB, 816x764px) Image search: [Google]
1475245447030.jpg
125KB, 816x764px
>>15991244
>>
>>15996803

Get an alignment, Miata's have fully adjustable double wishbone suspension, you can go from an undriveable car to a god machine of handling with a good alignment. Post on Miata.net in a regional subforum and ask for a good alignment shop, not some shitty firestone place, a place where racecars get setup.

THEN get good tires. With good tires and a good alignment, as long as nothing else is broken you will have what feels like a whole new car. You know those signs when the roads get curvy telling you to slow down to like 30, 25, 15 mph? You'll feel like you can do double or triple the posted speed.
>>
>>15991244
better response
higher power handling
can recover from loss of control more easily
>>
>>15996882
not the same guy but does this apply to any double wishbone suspension?
>>
>>15996882
Don't get an alignment before you get tires please.
>>
>>15996889
It applies to anything with adjustable suspension more complex than just toe. I bet there are some double wishbone suspensions that aren't adjustable from the factory.

>>15996891
>tearing up good tires with a shit alignment
>implying tires affect which ways the wheels are pointed

ok
I'll agree with you on one point: ideally get them both done at the same time, but on a budget if he feels unsafe going the fucking speed limit... as long as the tires have tread I'd guess the alignment is more fucked than the cheap tires that have to meet federal standards to hit the shelves.
>>
>>15996891
Brosifine being correct... Times are changing
>>
>>15996891
>>15996903

Samefagging doesn't make your argument any stronger.

Have you ever driven on a shitty alignment and good tires? I'm not afraid to admit I've fucked up my own alignment, that shit can and will kill you.

Corded tires or roached out rubber are a god awful safety hazard, but at least they're predictable. That dude sounds like his car is anything but predictable.

At least it's a Miata, quality tires should be like <$120/each, hopefully he can pony up $600-$700 and get it all done at the same time.
>>
>>15996914
cheers mate, i'm just nervous i'll fork out all the money and it won't make me drive any better.

i want to know there's light at the end of the tunnel, i've spent the last 2 weeks driving under the speed limit and i'm ready to flip.

i was excited for all the rwd hype that it would be amazing fun
>>
>>15991344
You know what's RWD and actually deadly?

Motorcycles.

>miss shift in corner
>highside
>>
>>15996919
A good alignment shop will SHOW you (not just tell you to upsell you shit) if there's something else fucked with the handling like bushings or something bent up.

Cars are less complex than people make them out to be, if it's straight as it was out of the factory, not rusted to shit, all the rubber bits haven't crumbled away, and the tires are pointed in the right direction it should be a blast of a car.
>>
>>15993846
ford model t
it cost like 5000 $ new
>>
>>15996605
Tires are the single most important component of a vehicles suspension. Be careful, there are a lot of ignorant young adults around these parts.
>>
>>15995071
more than half of those are fucking trucks
>>
>>15995145
>giving a shit about tire wear
>>
>>15996611
A messed up diff can cause some pretty huge drivability problems.
>>
>>15996928
>miss shift in corner
>shift in corner

Deserve to die.
>>
>>15996584
Having mismatched tires is terrible since different tires have different amounts of grip and handling characteristics. It's not too bad to have one tire on the front and another tire on the back, but having a different tire on one side of the car with a different tire on the other side can make the thing go all over the place.
>>
>>15996891
Why would that be? The tires aren't used as a reference during an alignment, the wheels are. The only way tires would mess up an alignment job would be if you had mismatched sizes that caused the car to sit at an angle.
>>
>>15996928
>comparing car handling to motorcycle handling

apples and oranges and completely irrelevant
>>
File: oversteer-554a2996337af.gif (1MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
oversteer-554a2996337af.gif
1MB, 320x180px
>>15991244
contrary to belief, you can oversteer in a FWD car

the main difference being FWD cannot maintain a drift for anywhere as long as a RWD can

it's pretty much
>cause the oversteer
>correct it right away and car snaps back into position

still fun as hell when you master it though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBYSl3dD-UQ
>>
>>15996885
actually senpai FWD is a lot better at correcting most errors... Step on gas, point wheels forward, sorts itself out.

It's just a superior layout until you get on the track/dragstrip. You want to pick up groceries and drive your kids to school and do just about everything most people do with their cars, FWD's lighter, more spacious in cabin, more efficient, better traction in poor conditions (don't get confused though, load transfers to rear wheels in high torque, high grip applications), etc.

RWD's only better when you want speed on a track.
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.