[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Solar Roadways

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: solar-roadways_test_01.jpg (226KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
solar-roadways_test_01.jpg
226KB, 1200x675px
So, if these had any promise of actual feasibility, what technology would we see come out of them?

The ability to sense another vehicle miles down a road? Change posted speed limits on the fly based on conditions?

What would be more impressive than just having LED markings?

You could even hack the road and make a right turn look like a left turn. Goodbye family of five.
>>
you sound like a retard

smart roads ≠ solar roads

Also, roads don't change all of a sudden. There is no reason why turn markers would need to be dynamic.
>>
>>15984043
"what technology would we see come out of them?"

You didn't read too far. But what improvements to having such roads could actually prove useful? Where is the boundary between the sci-fi and the future?

The last bit was a joke. Thought it would be pretty obvious to most people.
>>
This is the dumbest shit ever. It's already expensive to repair a road. This would just increase costs.
>>
File: SmashedSolarPath.jpg (47KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
SmashedSolarPath.jpg
47KB, 600x800px
And what materials would you use for a roadway? The people behind Solar Roadways did not think too far, but perhaps some bamboo composite could prove useful.
>>
>>15984073
Nothing that could come out of them is worth the immense cost and upkeep.

We still have thousands of miles worth of road still unpaved, and what we do have paved is falling apart. If we can't even maintain concrete, how the fuck will this work?
>>
>>15984178
This. I can't believe people think solar roads are a good idea when we can't even maintain our current roads. The cost of installation, repair, and maintenance would go up at least 10 fold.
>>
>>15984178
Nobody said we are dealing in absolutes.

Of course it is only logical to use such technology in the most needed areas. Blind corners, even adaptable intersections or transit ways that could provide rushhour relief.

The way the existing models are going about it is wrong. They are focusing on the absolute, to have it whether it is needed or not.

It takes more creative thinking to put them to beneficial use.
>>
>>15984207
IMO 10 fold is an understatement. Right now with basic concrete and steel there is bitching we can't afford muh roads. Imagine tearing all of it up for some complex techno road.

I mean it takes a fucking year for crews to finish 1/2 a mile of road these days
>>
>>15984217
Have you ever watched a road crew work?

They do the dumbest things in terms of efficiency.

>Buddy of mine works road construction as a sign turner
>Told me he's never worked such a lax job
>Gravel trains appear from 3 counties over instead of ordering locally - price per yd is the same
>They never order enough gravel so they end up stopping early
>They take a break every 15-20 minutes depending on the time of day for 5-10 minutes, depending on TOD
>No one working gives two shits if the job is done right except new guys

I wish it wasn't about meeting and exceeding the budget all the time. If they'd allow private companies to step in and do the job we would probably see longer lasting roads done in half the time.
>>
>>15984249
>Have you ever watched a road crew work?

8 guys on site. 3 guys talking to each other. 2 guy on their phones. 1 guy working. 2 guys watching the 1 guy work.

I can't believe that's how my tax dollars are spent.
>>
Glass can be tougher than asphalt so it can last longer. That said, it should be advertised for parking lots first, it'll be a real world trial that won't be completely expensive.
>>
>>15984256
>>15984249
For a short while my city gave a sizable bonus to the company doing the work if it was done by a certain date. Projects were consistently done ahead of schedule.

Then some moron got voted in to be in charge of the budget and they took our surplus into a deficit in 3 months. City still isn't back on track, and the bridge near my house has been under construction 6 months over deadline
>>
>>15984004
1. ever seen someone with a blown out trailer tire drag a fucking frame stud in the ground for 20 miles before they realize it? I think that would fuck up some glass.

2. whats keeping niggers from literally stealing the roads for scrap copper

3. oil on glass is incredibly slick even on textured glass.

4. solar panels rely on being almost perpendicular to the sun to function remotely efficiently, so unless the roads are on a giant gimble they will hardly function except for around noon, which happens to coincide with the lunch traffic parked on top anyways.

5. water freeze/thaw in between? what about brittleness during winter?
>>
>>15984391
You just reminded me of energy storage. That's going to increase the cost significantly. The people that promote solar roadways just don't understand how expensive it can be. We currently use asphalt because it's cheap and durable.
>>
I'm having a hard time thinking of situations in which an expensive "solar road" would be preferable to a conventional road with an adjacent regular solar panel. In urban areas, the latter can be placed on rooftops, which make up more acreage than the pavement.

The best case I can think of would be large paved areas like big parking lots, which serve structures without much roof space for panels. Stadiums, race tracks, theme parks- maybe. And even then, depending on usage patterns, it might make sense to only do the aisles and not the actual parking spaces.
>>
>>15984249
>>Buddy of mine works road construction as a sign turner
>>Told me he's never worked such a lax job
Yeah. I talked to a stop/go guy when doing a delivery. Said ti was the easiest thing ever.
>>
My idea for a technology that makes more sense than solar is thermal. Lines that run through the bitumen could be powered by heat, allowing for sensors running under the surface to be powered.

It would be similar to placing rebar in terms of installation.
>>
>>15984391
>5. water freeze/thaw in between? what about brittleness during winter?

That's what I want to know. Ice forms pretty easy on glass, its just so god damn cold to begin with compared to blacktop.

On top of this, once it does form, how will the panels hold up to being salted?

Will the glass become brittle when frozen?

Can plows operate on it without tearing the panels up or cracking them?

Will the ice itself tear the panels up during expansion?

This just doesn't sound like it would survive a Canadian winter.
Then again, neither do our normal roads.
Every spring, the pylons return.
>>
>>15984391
You forgot trucks about trucks destroying them. You can see tracks forming at heavily used intersections.
>>
>>15984088
This image is deceiving. What actually happened is a local resident tried to steal solar cells with a crowbar.
>>
>>15984391
see
>>15984824
>>
>>15984391
>Niggers literally stealing the road
God, what a concept.
>>
>>15984073
I suppose, if these things could magically be made both durable enough and cheap enough to be actually feasible, you could route the generated power to the vehicles driving over it via some kind of wireless charging.

it's all sci-fi though. Here in Ill-annoy, we have a constitional amendment on the ballot to force the state to only spend transporation related taxes, tolls, and fees on actual transportation expenses; right now they're using those funds for general expenses while letting lots of roads rot. We'd never see something like this even if it could be made to work...
>>
>>15984004
If we are going to invest in shitty tech, at least make serviceable roads before. We still have unbearably shit roads in Utah.
>>
>>15984824
How does that make the image deceiving? The chances of somebody trying to steal a solar road panel is just as high if not higher.
>>
>>15986083
Because getting negroid behavior under control is necessary for advancement into any kind of utopian future, not just for solar roads.
>>
>>15984004
>literally can't turn
>>
>>15984004
They tried this in sweden
It failed
>>
>>15986887
Sweden is a good place. In that it is a place where all the dumb shit is tried and the rest of the world can watch the outcome and learn how retarded the idea really is.

Sweden, yes.
>>
>>15986820
>Not wanting to skidz at all times everywhere
It's like you're really a soft cunt m8
>>
>>15984004
Hasn't solar roadways been proven to be a scam?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H901KdXgHs4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzzz5DdzyWY
>>
>>15984004
Didn't thunderf00t already thoroughly debunk this shit?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pIfo1Dynjg
>>
Wow, a whole lot of morons itt.

OP asked ***IF***, he never claimed they were. Yes everyone saw all the thunder foot videos.

Good thread idea ruined by retards yet again.

***IF*** these had any real feasibility, outside of already given ideas, It sure would make taking detours a he'll of a lot easier. You could make a path to follow the entire way through rather than having to rely on trying to find the next sign.

It would also be useful for construction areas. During the day while workers are on site they can set the speed limit to the construction speed, and at night they can then have it increase slightly to help traffic move (because everyone speeds through empty construction already anyway).
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (104KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
104KB, 1280x720px
>>15984043
>Also, roads don't change all of a sudden.
Actually dynamic lane layouts might come in very handy to handle differing amounts of traffic without having to pave boulevards as wide as airport landing strips across the landscape. Several US metros already employ machines that can move center dividers to adjust the number of lanes for inbound and outbound rush hour traffic.
>>
>>15984004
Reduced traction for better skids
>>
File: African-road.jpg (72KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
African-road.jpg
72KB, 500x375px
>>15984391
>>15984824
>>15985547
>>15986791
Just because a nigger will destroy something if he can doesn't mean that we should not attempt higher level achievements.
>>
>>15984004
Imagine having to plow that lmao
>>
>>15984249
The road workers in my city had to repave the entire main drag because the dips where the manhole covers were located were too deep.
>>
>>15984443
Not to mention it is already extremely environmentally friendly, with a 98% recycle rate.
>>
>>15987075
That's because those same faggots relied on too many overlays instead of fixing it right the first time.
>>
>>15987018
There doesn't need to be a discussion though, flat solar panels are shit, the idea of solar road ways is stupid and the people who had the original idea are morons.

Solar roof tops though?
Now thats a good fucking idea.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.