[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can't fix this car

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Need some help starting my grandpas 69 mustang, 351 engine, also a newbie when it comes to cars, so anything you can teach me is appreciated. basically it just won't turn over and I'm not sure why. just put in a new battery, distributor, and coil. pic related, is the engine
>>
>>15977066
Sorry mate but /o/ wont help 9 times outta 10, check forrums and websites specific to that car or engine you should get proper replies, id help ya but i have no clue bwt those motors, im in new zealand so i mostly deal with jappas
>>
>>15977066
Smack the fucking starter, not hard though. If that doesn't work check your fuses, check relays, ignition, etc. Also when you turn the key to on, listen for the little WHIRR sound the fuel pump makes. If that all checks out you have some sort of electrical problem somewhere. You said it wont turn at all? Or it turns but doesn't start? Usually turn and no start is caused by
> Fuel
> compression
> Air
> spark
I could help you diagnose, but i need more details in what its doing.
>>
>>15977066
>It's not turning over
The starter solenoid there on the fender is activated by 12v from the ignition switch being applied to the small post nearest the battery. The other small post supplies 12v to the coil during cranking for a bit hotter spark (can't use 12v all the time though it'll eat points up really quickly)

Anyway, it's really common to get those two small terminals switched around. IIRC the red wire (or black w/red stripe) is the one that goes on the small terminal nearest the battery. Use a test light to confirm that 12v is on that wire when the ignition switch is turned to Ignition Start.
>>
>>15977095
I put new fuel in yesterday but I'm kicking myself because I'm pretty sure there was old shit in there before and I didn't clear it out. I'm pretty sure I burned it off
>>
>>15977122
But you said its not turning correct? When you try and start the car does it try to start, or does it just click when you turn the key and nothing happens
>>
>>15977095
I've heard about people smacking the starter, but nobody ever told me why they do it. So why does smacking it work?
>>
>>15977130
it just whirrs kinda. would it help if I posted a video?
>>
>>15977144
Basically if your starter is seized, a light impact will loosen up the gears enough to allow it to turn over. Keep in mind, this will only get you going once or twice. Use it to get your car home/to a shop.
>>
>>15977144
Sometimes the solenoid doesn't engage properly. And smacking it loosens it up and temporarily fixes it. But i need to know what the car does when you turn the key all the way to try and start it.
>>
>>15977144
It doesn't really work on a Ford pole-shoe starter. Where it works is on starters that have the solenoid attached to the starter motor and the solenoid plunger is sticking for one reason or another.

>>15977154
>would it help if I posted a video?
Please
>>
>>15977222
4chan didn't support the file type so here's the YouTube link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BGFAfTh8Ck&feature=share
>>
>>15977249
Okay so it is turning over. So the rules out starter. Okay what you need to do is test
> Fuel delivery
Spray some carb cleaner, or starter fluid in the carb
> Spark
Unplug a sparkplug wire with the plug still in it. Ground it to something and try to turn on the vehicle. If the spark plug sparks your ignition is fine
> Compression
This one is trickier, you'll need special tools for this, lets hope you don't result to this.
> Air
Sometimes (rarely) it can just be a vacuum hose, shitty air delivery (clogged as fuck air filter) or a air delivery sensor somewhere. If you're lucky its a relay or a fuse.
>>
>>15977066
>351 engine
Found the culprit. Ecoboost swap that shit.
>>
>>15977282
yesterday I sprayed some starter fluid in the carburetor. and I'm assuming the sparkplug wire is the one that goes to the distributor? what would you ground it to?
>>
>>15977289
fuck that
>>
Not him but the sparkplug wire is going one that goes to the cylinder head
>>15977310
Why do you have to be mad? It's only a meme.
>>
Get a can of starting fluid
Spray while starting it
If it fires, it's fuel
If it doesn't fire, it's spark
>>
>>15977303
>spark plug wire
Those go from the distributor to the spark plugs. Coil wire goes from the coil to the center of the distributor.
>Ground
Take a screwdriver and stick it in the end of a convenient plug wire. Hold only the plastic handle of the screwdriver while placing the shaft about a spark plug gap distance away from something bare metal on the engine (not the carb!) and have somebody crank the engine a few seconds. You should see spark jump the gap between the screwdriver shaft and the metal.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>15977320
where is the cylinder head
>>
>>15977332
so keep the wire attached to the distributor?
>>
>>15977345
Yeah, unplug the other end
>>
>>15977345
Yes. I should've said disconnect from the spark plug lol
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>15977354
like this yeah?
>>
>>15977342
Cylinder heads are under the valve covers. the intake manifold attaches to them too.

>New distributor
>newb
Very good chance it's 180 degrees out of time unless care was taken to have the rotor pointing at the same spot it was on the removed distributor and what newb is going to know to do that? Hell, lots of guys that have been working on cars for years don't know to to do that.
>>
>>15977369
Where are you? Underneath? You can pull it up where you can see something ya know.

But anyway yeah you'd be looking where the metal is close to metal while it's cranking
>>
>>15977382
if this metal bit is connected to the whole metal body am I gonna eletrecute myself?
>>
>>15977394
Dude, the easiest way to group a spark plug is with jumper cables. Put one end of the clamp attached to the thread of the spark plug. Then the other end of the clamp to any metal surface. Its so much easier and safer. And no you wont electrocute yourself.
>>
>>15977402
I have some new spark plugs so I'm gonna try those first
>>
>>15977394
Not if you hold only the handle of the screwdriver.

Besides it's only a points system it might tickle a bit and that's about all. And you'd know it has spark lol!
>>
File: K10sparkplug-2234.jpg (151KB, 860x574px) Image search: [Google]
K10sparkplug-2234.jpg
151KB, 860x574px
>>15977410
Yeah sure, do that, then ground the spark plug using jumper cables (easier and safer) then have a buddy try to start the car, or just get a camera and set it where you can see the gap. The spark can be very tiny like pic related so make sure you are looking closely.
>>
>>15977419
>>15977423
well I just saw and felt the Sparks so they're working but this guy that's been helping me with the car said I need a new dampener?
>>
>>15977443
A new harmonic balancer? That wouldn't cause your car not to start unless your crankshaft was already fucked....but youd know that immediately by how fucked up it would sound
>>
>>15977443
Alright, then hit it with some starting fluid, carb cleaner, (couple second shot) or something and if it still doesn't at least cough then it's likely out of time and the distributor will probably need to be restabbed
>>
>>15977488
>>15977466
alright boys ill try one more time with starter fluid
>>
>>15977518
Just pour gas directly into the carb.

You'll know within seconds if you installed the distributor correctly or not.

If it needs to be rotated 180 it'll backfire with enough cranking, assuming you have fuel delivery.
>>
>>15977546
ah shit I did that yesterday and now I'm out of gas. I'm just gonna use starter
>>
>>15977066
>69 mustang
Trash the engine and replace it with anything else.
>>
>>15977590
no that sucks, too expensive as well
>>
>>15977066
So is it failing to crank over or does it actually crank and not start?

Because there's not a lot of rhyme or reason to the parts you just replaced.
>>
>>15977222
No, it works on the ford starters as well if it has worn out brushes as the cause.
>>
>>15977622
so what's with this turning the distributor 180 or whatever, it's all Greek to me
>>
>>15977590
Why, the 351 windsor is cheap to make power from.

Well I looked at your video and it cranks. You need to establish if the problem is related to a lack of fuel getting to the motor, spark or the timing of the ignition as well. The motor sounds like it has compression at least.

Grab a can of carb cleaner and spray some down there as someone attempts to start. If it starts firing up from the spray you likely have a fuel issue.

If that doesn't work you need to check for spark. pull a plug wire off and have someone else try to start it again. form a small gap between the wire and what you pulled it off from and see if an arc can from. If it does then you have spark. If it doesn't you have an issue somewhere in the ignition system.
>>
>>15977622
Never run across that myself but since they mostly die due to excess amperage requirements from broken-down insulation on the field coils I can see why I might have missed that particular experience. Or maybe have and forgotten. Whatever, it's not my go-to on a pole-shoe I suppose.
>>
>>15977642
>>15977594

Don't feed the obvious fisherman replies.
>>
>>15977638
If you don't understand how to setup a distributor I doubt you're ever going to get this running. You probably just created more problems if you yanked out the old one and threw another one in without paying attention to the orientation. I would take it to a shop now.

Do you by any chance live in the Portland Metro area?
>>
>>15977642
I sprayed some starter fluid on it and it started to turn over but it just doesn't seem to wanna go. I'm not sure how to form that arc. I'm gonna give the starter fluid another go
>>
>>15977066
go on youtube and watch every episode of Roadkill
>>
>>15977663
I didn't install the distributor, a guy who restored a different mustang did, I just set up the wiring. and no, I'm in Southern California
>>
>>15977665
Check YouTube on how to do a spark check
>>
>>15977690
alright so with starter fluid it started to go but I think I burned out the starter so I'm gonna give it some rest
>>
>>15977690
could it be the starter?
>>
>>15977701
Your fuel pressure is trash
>>
>>15977731
No, Your video showed the engine turning over. Constantly cranking is going to kill the battery though. Do you have a way to charge up the battery?
>>
>>15977771
I put a brand new one in yesterday so the battery is fine. how does one fix fuel pressure
>>
>>15977095
>>Also when you turn the key to on, listen for the little WHIRR sound the fuel pump makes.

>1969 Mustang
>electric fuel pump
>>
Dis shit right here
>>
>>15977783
you know a new battery will still go flat if you use it a bunch without recharging it right?
>>
>>15977650
>Don't feed the obvious fisherman replies.
>(((fisherman)))
>>
>>15977814
>>15977783
I think it's time you take it to a shop unless you know someone that can help you. You're a little over your head here. You should probably start with simpler maintenance work before you start jumping into this kind of stuff.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.