/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT : Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 52

File: Porsche-911_R-2017-1280-11.jpg (111KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Porsche-911_R-2017-1280-11.jpg
111KB, 1280x960px
Only after searching on various search engines you are supposed to ask your question here.

>Ask questions that are /o/ related.
>Also scroll down and find questions to which you can answer to.

Previous Thread - >>15923128 (archived)
>>
>>15962772
Can I make decent money robbing graves?
I've always wanted to try it. Seems like one of those things that I want to do before I get old.
>>
>>15962794
Sure. No one's stopping you.
>>
Double Clutch Technique:

Why are you meant to
press clutch -> neutral -> release clutch -> revmatch -> press clutch -> gear change -> release clutch
instead of just keeping the clutch pressed? Is it because you have your left foot ready for braking if necessary? Wouldn't keeping the clutch pressed be more efficient as you don't speed up any gears?
>>
The bolts in my brake caliper bracket are frozen fucking solid. An hour of wrenching on them, soaking them with pb blaster, and trying to use cheater bars to break them free did jack shit.

Should I run down to harbor freight and pick up a cheap air compressor + air rachet (I have very little tools since I live in an apartment) or is there an easier way to get these fuckers to come out.
>>
File: manual_mirrors.jpg (7KB, 400x221px) Image search: [Google]
manual_mirrors.jpg
7KB, 400x221px
I have plastic side mirrors like pic related, and they're not exactly cracking yet but they're fading, so I want to paint them and by extension weatherproof them.

My car is black, should I go black or go with something snazzier? I was thinking I could paint these, two plastic strips on each door panel, the chrome on my side panels and my trunk, and my grille, all a single color. I'm leaning towards a dark gold right now.

On a scale of 1 to rice, how shit?
>>
>>15963799
double clutching (for my mid 90s shitbox)

>get up to desired rpm
>clutch in
>neutral shift
>clutch out
>little dab of gas, nothing major, just dont wanna lose engine rpms... just enough to keep it steady
>clutch back in
>into whatever gear
That's for up shifting. downshift I dont double clutch because engine braking. There is no one "correct" technique. Do whatever feels better to you. I do engine braking because of MPGs, and double clutch on the way up because I cant/dont rev match perfectly every time.

Rev matching is undeniably the "faster" way to shift, but if you don't revmatch perfectly, double clutch is undeniably easier on your clutch.

Whichever one works for you.
>>
so in the middle of bleeding my brakes my pedal just fucking dropped and I felt no pressure. pumped it a few more times and felt a little bit of pressure but obviously not the same. keep pumping and I'm getting next to no fluid out. Go try another calliper and it starts stiff but also lost pressure after a pump. Kept going but still very little fluid coming out so I stopped. started car and the brake pedal does shit all

I've bled it like 2-3 times before in the past month because I kept getting a pedal drop in pressure while driving randomly. Honestly thought I just missed a air bubble

Master cylinder is gone, yes? no leaks on callipers, lines, or hoses that I can see.

>>15964986
what car? I'd just go with black or the car's paint color.
>>
File: 9523607.jpg (228KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
9523607.jpg
228KB, 1024x768px
>>15965448
pic related.

I could just go plain black, but it's so boring and every half baked ricer does it. I've thought about doing silver.
>>
So if I wanted to buy a car from Craigslist like an hour away and drive it home would I need tags and shit in advance?

Can I even add something to my insurance without owning it yet?

I could google and get the answer but I love you guys
>>
>>15965915
it's possible to get a paper tag depending on state, might be some fee. I'd just ask the owner if you can keep the plate on the back and mail it back to them if you want.

yes you can insure it. i'd get a quote have it ready where all you need to do is pay then do that once you've got the keys and title in hand.

y-you too
>>
Considering buying a 2002 Pontiac bonaville SSEI for around $5,000. It looks pretty clean no weird engine noises or rust. Anything I should know about this car?
>>
>>15965932
Dang. So I'd need to have the insurance lined up, and then also have tags ready?

Eh OK so it's not as easy as "here cash, gibe title," but that's still easy
>>
>>15965974
generic GM landbarge, you should be able to get it for 3500 clean, unless it's super low miles or you're super dead set on it, you can do better.
>>
>>15965002
>double clutch is undeniably easier on your clutch.

Could you explain this please, I'm a bit confused
>>
>>15967893
think of your clutch as a piece of... wood? and your transmission as a piece of sandpaper. If you're rough on your gear changes as listed above, your trans will slowly rub down your clutch to the point where the clutch starts slipping. It can go both ways... a better way would be to say they're both sandpaper.

tl;dr rubbing = wear and tear = bad.
double clutch = easier to do less wear and tear.
>>
>>15967900
thanks mane
>>
want to undercoat my truck frame. i an find a bottle of rubberized spray stuff for about 5 bucks, does this need prep work? i cant seem to find a solid answer if i have to sand rust away or not

FWIW its not flaking or holes, its just turning orange and i dont like it
>>
>>15967941
I did some plastic fender flares and a bare steel bumper with some cheapo bed liner like you're talking about, definitely prime and prep well.
>>
>>15967961
is bed liner and undercoating the same?

i really dont want to fucking hand sand my frame dude
>>
>>15965473
Silver would be okay-ish, dark gold is nigger tier. Decide between black and silver. Maybe if you don't mind a bit of a ricer look, think about red. Red could look cool on a black car
>>
>>15967991
everyone does red/black. think I'll do a dark steel metallic.
>>
>>15967976
The shit I got is some rubberized shit it said on the can you can use it for bed liner or undercarriage coating who makes the stuff you're looking at using? you could probably get away with pressure washing the frame rails really good depending on your primer. Anyone who does paintwork will tell you though the more time you spend on prep work the better your outcome will be.
>>
>>15968023
i was looking at 3M 03584 Professional Grade Rubberized Undercoating

im really not looking for a paint job on it, or any real high quality shit for it. i just want to give it a little extra protection from the road salt this winter, and have it not looking like utter shit when i try to resell in 5 years
>>
>>15964942
stop being a weak cunt or try turning them the other way
>>
>>15965448
you're bad at bleeding things, get help from a skilled person
>>
>>15968187
I'd at least pressure wash if its really dirty otherwise just go at it and make sure you actually seal the shit otherwise its just going to retain moisture and road salts.
>>
Yo /o/,

Busy painting my bonnet (mazda 3 '04) since the guy I bought it from left it to get rekt.
>solid paint colour (monte carlo blue)
>sanded
>first paint layer
>sanded with 1200 grit
>second layer
>sanded with 1200 grit
>third layer

Now my question, do I sand it again before applying the clear coat now or just spray the clear coat straight over the last layer? Even if i use 1200 grit paper there seem to be minor scratches afterwards
>>
>>15968327
Bumpity
>>
>>15968327
use 80 grit next
>>
When in gear (especially 4th/5th) and cruising, I get a long whirling sound that's kinda loud. It's also difficult to place into 1st or R gear from park occasionally.

Is that just the tran fluid or what's habbading
>>
>>15968530
:^)
>>
looking to buy a gti but not sure which gen to get. i have a mk iv and want something newer. thinking about a mkvi but not sure. any thoughts?
>>
I need some winter tire advice. Is it okay to buy use tires? A new set will run me like 700+tax and I want to get that lower if at all possible.
>>
I have a 2008 Subaru Impreza. I need to replace the air intake filter.

>Can I do this on my own?

>Can I go to a local store and pick the filter up for cheap? I'm having trouble finding out what to buy

I live in Canada, GTA
>>
About 2 months ago I filled my petrol car with diesel, so I paid someone to syphon it out for me and then he put some solution stuff in my car to clean it out, it's been working fine ever and had no problems but I have to go and get it serviced soon (it's on lease), will they know I filled it up with the wrong fuel? is there any way to tell?

pls help
>>
>>15970046
Your car might have thrown a code that they can check with a scan tool. You can check if your car has any codes with a scan toolas well, and clear them

Can't think of any other way they would find out.
>>
>>15968209
>>15968204
look another useless tripfag on /o/
>>
>>15970089
ok, guess i'll just have to hope theres no code then, thanks alot m8
>>
>>15970190
I think its better to just call up the guy you paid to siphon the diesel out and ask him
>>
>>15970207
He said the solution stuff he put in the car will remove any diesel left and will save my warranty, he didn't seem trustworthy though
>>
>>15970030
>>15970030
bump please
>>
>>15965002
that didn't answer my question but I thought about it again and got it myself. having the clutch out in neutral also matches the revs of the gears to the revs of the output shaft, so you're actually matching engine->(clutch)->gearbox and gear->(synchros)->output.
>>
File: 1436138768998.jpg (451KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
1436138768998.jpg
451KB, 1280x1707px
It's hard to search for "cool looking cars" because the results are endless, put simply I'm looking for something aesthic as fuark, preferably 99 and earlier.

Ideas I kicked around were old crx, mr2, Porsche 924, station, but that's all I got.

Pls help, something I can paint black on black with black/red trim interior
>>
>>15970759
Starion became station in that post
>>
>>15970759
R32 Skyline
>>
>>15970769
I don't actually have 15k to drop on a car, one day though, anon, I will.

I was thinking of the examples I listed because they are cheap enough for college student to save up for (currently at 1200, continuing to save indefinitely is an option because I don't NEED a new car).

I just wanted something comfy and powerful-ish to drive around in and let my mind drift as I shift and drive, when it all gets too much, I just haven't found my compatriot car
>>
>>15970759
RX-7
>>
>>15970921
I've thought about it, but if it were down to two excellent examples of the 924/44 and an RX7, I'd pick the Porsche because apex seals.

I'm not drag racing or anything so they're not really in danger but it's just something that I'm 100% unfamiliar with
>>
I just got a 98 ls400 with 74k on the odometer for 4 grand, did I fuck up?
>>
I tried to replace the air filter on my '08 Impreza today. It seemed really straightforward. Steps were:

>Disconnect -ve terminal of battery
>Disconnect MAF
>Loosen hose clamp for intake hose
>Open intake filter box
>Remove old filter
>Put in new filter
>Tighten clamp
>Reconnect MAF
>Reconnect battery

I did all those steps. It seems like everything worked well. When I went to start the car at first, it didn't start, as if the battery didn't have enough juice (but the car wasn't struggling, the engine just didn't turn over).

Okay, left it for a second and tried it again -- this time the engine started up just fine. I left it for 10 mins, then took it for a drive.

Everything seemed good, the throttle response felt slightly different (placebo?). Then the car unexpectedly shutdown as I came to a stop.

It shutdown exactly like it would if you didn't push the clutch in but unlike that situation it didn't really lurch or struggle, it just shutdown.

Started it up again, no problem. Drove it around for a few more minutes, stopped several times with no more issues.

Anyone know what's with the erratic behavior? Is there a quick list of things I can check? I have a really long drive tomorrow, most of it on the highway so its pretty dangerous if the car just shuts down randomly.
>>
>>15971327
Check all your hoses and connections again, odds are something is loose or forgotten. Just wiggle stuff and look for anything that might be misaligned.

Additionally disconnecting the battery probably reset the ECU so it's in 'learning mode' which probably contributed to the laggy throttle, that should go away with a few more miles. But that shouldn't cause it to shut down.

I left a vacuum line off my intake for months once, thought my truck had shit the bed, finally noticed popped it back in and it was good as new. There wasn't even a clamp on it, just slides on and off.
>tfw you're dumb
>>
File: 27512020373_b8028ab0b4_o.jpg (316KB, 1280x747px) Image search: [Google]
27512020373_b8028ab0b4_o.jpg
316KB, 1280x747px
Is there any way to get auto insurance for one day or a minimum amount of time?

I have to pick up a car that needs stuff to pass inspection and runs and drives just fine, but I don't want to pay insurance (except for the trip) until I fix the stuff it needs. Any suggestions?
>>
>>15971388
yeah it's called day insurance
>>
So are Japanese cars a lot easier for an average Joe to maintain fix at home, and cheaper spare parts and used parts, overall a lot possible to DIY? Also would the same average Joe with his same skills be able to do the same DIY on euro cars such as BMW and Mercedes? I like euro cars and I want to maintain it myself and Im not sure if I can do it the same way as I did to my miata where it has repair guides for very much every parts of the online.
>>
>>15971349
Thanks for the reply. The ECU didn't reset because the battery wasn't completely disconnected -- only the negative terminal was.

Regarding the connections, yeah I'm going to try and go over it again but honestly there's only the MAF disconnect/reconnect and the intake hose clamp which is solid.

I followed this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7drpOJsauE
>>
>>15971388
Call your insurance company or browse their website for FAQ or something, any company that's not shit should have a provision to cover you for stuff like this.
>>
post a shitbox under like 2 grand that i can buy and thrash , i live in europe btw
>>
Is there anything wrong/shady about outright buying a car in full from a buy here pay here?
>>
File: image.jpg (87KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87KB, 640x480px
What do you guys think about the 2001 325i
>>
/o/ I need some red hot podcasts to listen to in my car during long trips.

Throw me some recs please
>>
My car whines near the engine/transmission while in Drive. It does not when it is in park, neutral, or reverse.

Google has given me nothing on what this could be. Belt is good and I flushed the auto tranny with synthetic fluid 2 thousand miles ago.
>>
File: car-tyre-sidewall.jpg (99KB, 553x295px) Image search: [Google]
car-tyre-sidewall.jpg
99KB, 553x295px
Does higher the car tyre load rating means thicker the tyre? or taller side wall?
>>
>>15971785
Tire expert here

Load index pretty much means nothing important. It's in most cases just locked to the size of the tire. i.e. pretty much all P205/65R15s are load index 94. Some tires are extra-load, which only means they can handle air pressures above 44 psi in special cases when required. The biggest confusion is that P-metric and euro metric load indexes use a slightly different chart, making one higher than the other for the same load.

Consumers should never have to even know about load index.
>>
>>15971693
Cheap car with the repair and maintenance costs of an expensive car.
>>
>>15971808
>Tire expert here
Any recommendations for cheap winter tires?
>>
Guys help a br/o/ out, I want to buy bmw, I have a Lancia Thesis, Nissan Navara, Peugeot 308 and an Alfa Romeo Giulietta soo this wouldn't be my only car.
I have these in mind:
BMW X5 3.0i 2001 Auto (heh I don't like autos) ~9000€
BMW M3 e36 3.0 1992 (I am afraid I am buying an old drift car) ~14000€
BMW 330i e46 Touring 2001 (120k km and lowest mileage of the group, manual, m-sport, beautiful tan leather interior) ~9700€
BMW M5 e39 1999 (probably a lemon) ~12500€
BMW M5 e34 1991 (3.5l, I am genuinely afraid to die in it) ~12500€
BMW 535i e39 2002 (complete m5 kit except the badges, looks mint but it's more expensive than the M5) ~13500€

All cars are manual except for the x5 but that one is only on the list for the sake of being. I know these are very different cars but I love that 1990~2005 bmw aesthetic and I really want one. In normal conditions I'd get the e34 or e36 but someone crashed into me at high speeds last month and I don't know how a older car like those would cope under those circumstances, how is the maintenance in the m5 e39? Is it prone to problems? And vs the 535i?
The 330i would be the most reliable here right?
>>
>>15971825
Nokian Nordman 5, Cooper Weathermaster WSC, General altimax arctic, hankook i*pike, Imperial/Minerva EcoStud/EcoNorth.

Stay away from Firestone Winterforce and Weathermaster S/T2, or anything goodyear. Also don't buy cheap high-performance studless tires.
>>
Why would my right front rim have a lot of what I assume is brake dust on it? The left front has like a third the amount or is something scrapping my rotor and it's actually metal dust?
>>
>>15971900
could be a seized caliper not releasing. Check the pads for uneven wear.
>>
>>15971931
How can I check that if my rims tend to hinder my ability to see them since I did try to look but like I can't even see the pads but maybe I'm looking at them the wrong way
>>
>>15971750
If you like fantasy and comedy listen to The Adventure Zone, shits hilarious, had trouble staying in my own lane I was laughing so hard on my last roadtrip. Binge listened to all 50+ hours over the past two months in the car.

>>15971955
Take the wheel off dumbass, you should be able to manage that.
>>
>>15971969
Rude, welp guess I have to go to a friends house since don't have a jack or jack stands
>>
http://williamsport.craigslist.org/cto/5792177423.html

Holy fuck, I'd love to have this but is there any way to fix overheating thing without a 750$ radiator replacement?
>>
File: intersection.png (54KB, 2000x1435px) Image search: [Google]
intersection.png
54KB, 2000x1435px
New manuelo driver here, when I make left turns in intersections from 1sr I feel lke I'm running out of gear, revs rly high. Should I shift mid-turn or just stay in 1st until done turning?
>>
>>15972084
I'd be more worried about the fact that it's overheated multiple times, you could be looking at a warped block/head and a chocolate milkshake sitting in the oilpan and a ticking timebomb of an engine without proper cooling OR lubrication.

It's probably priced appropriately at $800, but that's assuming you're ready to spend potentially thousands on a fresh engine, best case scenario he's absolutely right and your one radiator away from a perfect car, but if that was the case he would have done it himself and sold it as a $2k car with zero problems.

Based on how you phrased your question, this is not the car for you. Hell it could have a clogged block and you spend $750 on a radiator and the problem persists, then you throw another water pump at it for however many hundreds the Germans want and then it still overheats on you and you're $2k in ready to tear the engine out of it...

Or you sell it for $800 like he's trying to.
>>
>>15972187
Just shift nigger
>>
>>15971403
I own a hanes manual, a lift, and an e90 328i. this car has taught me everything I know about cars just by breaking(I don't know a lot about cars :) but it has taught me the sky's the limit. I've done way more than most people would be comfortable with doing (clutch, intake manifold, valve cover, headers) with 0 prior experience
>>
>>15972189
Damn. Things need to stop being too good to be true already.
>>
>>15972187
is you're legitimately 'running out of gear' during a turn then shift... that's what gears are for silly
>>
>>15972187
Mid turn, always. If I take a turn in first and keep accelerating, I usually break traction (RWD problems).
>>
>>15972248
more like you don't know how to drive a car or you have a v10 with the longest gears in the world
>>
File: 49704464.jpg (100KB, 1024x866px) Image search: [Google]
49704464.jpg
100KB, 1024x866px
>How can I learn to drive better?

I've had my open manual license for a couple of years now and everyone says I'm a smooth and safe driver. But I want to perfect it.

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>15970562
yeahhh... newer cars will have synchros that "rev match" for you, but older cars do not have synchros, which is why you feel the bite when you shift without revmatching.
>>
>>15972419
I think take performance driving school, or learn new techniques and just drive a lot and fpcus on areas which you are not good with.. just take drive with the aim of improving
>>
>>15971816
Cheap price wise or cheaply made
>>
Looking at getting some tool kits.
Is stanley a good brand?
and why is the 201 piece, so much cheaper than the 132 piece kit?
>http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Stanley-Mechanics-Tool-Set-201-Piece/328840#review-list-anchor
>http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Stanley-Tool-Kit-132-Piece/222143#review-list-anchor
It's for working on a holden, and a kawasaki.
>>
>>159679772
A wire brush might be easy than sandpaper
>>
>>15970030
Take the old filter to an auto parts shop and ask for a new one
>>
>>15971327
We had the same problem after disconnecting the battery in a forester. It resets the auto idle/anti-stall. We had to take ours to the mechanic to get it fixed
>>
File: 86.jpg (49KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
86.jpg
49KB, 720x405px
Anyone have the link to the eurobeated Initial D Legends 3? (if it even has been eurobeated yet)
>>
File: 1474823913535.png (107KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1474823913535.png
107KB, 512x512px
>>15962772
Not sure if it deserves a thread or not but I found a 2006 Nissan 350z for $8500 and it has 49k miles. I was wondering if that is a good deal? I could try to bring down the price as I saw some little issues. Anyway give me your opinion anons
>>
File: yes.jpg (51KB, 586x540px) Image search: [Google]
yes.jpg
51KB, 586x540px
>>15973263
Here you go famalam literally just googled it so not sure if it's as good as the first two, also not sure if the eurobeat was put in by the same guy
>https://mega.nz/#!BJd1XBrK!PySJWSCMfUGS5vPnziN8UoL3CUcuWcS6CxsG0wwpbfw
>>
File: 92650205.gif (999KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
92650205.gif
999KB, 320x240px
>How do people know so much about different car models and brands?

Growing up it seemed like every guy knew every model from the last 30 years and what engine was in it.

All the information I got about models were from playing games, and mechanical knowledge from my dad, but he never spoke about makes/models.
>>
hey /o/rphans, I have a late 90s accord and I've got the typical oil leak on the corner of the engine block. Common sense dictates to me that it is the valve cover gasket.

My question for you is this: Is there anything in particular I need to be aware of when I swap it out tomorrow? From my understanding, it goes:
>remove negative battery terminal
>redirect throttle/CC cables
>remove spark plug wires
>(remove spark plugs? is this necessary?)
>take off the valve cover head
>take out gasket, clean engine head as needed to remove sludge, re-lube with oil
>replace gasket
>build back up in reverse. Spark plugs, valve cover head, wires, rearrange throttle/CC cables
>don't overtorque the valve head because it can pinch the new gasket, make sure new gasket sits flush before you attach, etc etc.

What am I missing?
>>
>>15974049
no 4chan.
>>
>>15974089
Buy a haynes manual, it'll save your life.
>>
>>15973053
>is stanley gud?
no, the're pittsburgh grade
>if no horror freight in kangarooville than replace with cheap indian tool brand

>why is the fewer tool set more expensive
it's got a good breaker bar and nicer wrenches (do ausfags call them spanners?) and ratchets than the cheap set
I'd get that one

>>15974049
>surf to the google
>search Make model year specs
>ex. 1991 Dodge Stealth
>click on the wikipedias
>??????
>profit
just like anything if you want to know stuff you have to research and learn it
>>
>>15974089
>>15974159
second, Chiltons is gud too
>same publisher
also if you haven't watched a youtube video of someone doing it search for one and watch it a few times
>>
Mornin lads, my current OEM air intake is cracked (not the hose itself, but the mouth of the intake and also the air filter box) due to the cheap plastics used in both. Since it'd be roughly £80 to replace both, I am thinking of swapping in a short ram intake on it. Pros/cons?
>>
File: 20161010_081120.jpg (609KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20161010_081120.jpg
609KB, 2048x1152px
Just took off my throttle body and my intake looks a bit sludgy. I don't suppose this is normal? If not, how to fix?
>>
I bought a French car and immediately ran into an electrical problem. I want the head unit to power on and off via the ignition which would require a shunt fuse to be moved a peg down on the fuse box to bridge the circuit. The thing is that the shunt has the contacts spaced too far apart to fit in the lower position. Can I just bridge the circuit with a fuse or will I die in a spectacular fire?
>>
>>15975014
Just buy new ones don't risk your life and the cars life too
>>
>>15962772
Should I buy a coupe or a small sedan?

I have a wife and a baby girl. Isn't it okay if I just buy an okay sized coupe like the Lexus RC350 (heard they have accomodating rear seats)?

I told about the RC350 because I actually like the styling in this. I don't care if you shit on the styling.
>>
Is there any danger driving with the engine exposed? Live in FL so most of the time it's sunny but what about when it rains?
>>
>>15962794
Sure just find you a good sugar momma
>>
>>15968632
Have you checked the fluid level, or noticed any leaks?
>>
>>15975298

If you have a baby girl you need 4 doors for sure, trust me. Having a baby and a coupe is a pain in the ass.
>>
>>15974346
Might fuck up your maf readings and make the car rum like shit
>>
File: crucify.png (173KB, 500x758px) Image search: [Google]
crucify.png
173KB, 500x758px
Alright everyone, let's have a laugh at my expense.

>get off 3rd shift at 330, take semi-nap til 630, get all my tools and parts ready to begin working at sunup
>start once theres enough sun, at 730 am
>throttle body and throttle position sensor are both swapped out by 9am
>next project is the valve cover gasket
>replace that by 1045
>now here's where things get fun
>get new oil filter, do oil change and put it on
>overfill oil like a lot
>start it up to test it and immediately starts smoking
>turn off, hoist car back up to try and get under it at the filter
>filter is on there tight, can't get it off with my hands
>waiting on my little bro to get out of classes so he can buy me an oil filter wrench

I did all that shit, and a fucking $3.50 filter is the death of me. Fuck this, I'm going back to sleep.
>>
I think im actually retarded pls help
>measure hub cap, comes out to 15 in
>tires have 14 in. on them
What the fuck sized hub caps do i buy?
>>
>>15962772
My friends dad has a honda prelude for sale, supposedly a 2.0 from gen 5.

How are they? Are they reliable? Can they be upgraded to be decent around a track? Are they fun?
>>
File: [email protected] (27KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
24827195_300x225@2x.jpg
27KB, 600x450px
Are there any poor people look alikes?
>>
>>15975451
I don't think so. I own a 2013 Mustang GT. my wife and I are really fine with it. Baby seems too fine with it. And I think coupes are safer for babies or kids as they won't get out even if the child lock was un-knowingly de activated. Okay, she has a Mazda 3 but she also loves driving my GT and I'm planing to get her the new GT soon. You don't really need the extra space which you get in sedans. More people should use coupes.
>>
how long should I let spray wax sit before wiping it off? Never feel like I'm doing this shit right, the cloth I use just ends up getting wet on both sides

after spraying it do I wipe it around and then "buff it out" after a few seconds?
>>
File: me_boosta.png (76KB, 375x360px) Image search: [Google]
me_boosta.png
76KB, 375x360px
would leaving one of the ports on my vacuum tree unplugged be enough of a leak that my car would idle and run rough?
>>
File: 1976firebirdformula.jpg (116KB, 1000x665px) Image search: [Google]
1976firebirdformula.jpg
116KB, 1000x665px
Is there anything wrong/technically unfeasible with putting the rear fascia of this......
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (31KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
31KB, 480x360px
>>15976473
......on one of these?

They're both F-body's and look like the panel spacing would line up nicely, and I'd assume the only real issue would be wiring the taillights, but is it tasteful?
>>
File: 1471790464317.jpg (60KB, 476x687px) Image search: [Google]
1471790464317.jpg
60KB, 476x687px
I can't for the life of me get this damn lifetime air filter open on my 2003 ford focus 2l zetec. previous owner was a butthead that left routine maintenance up to his "mechanic buddy" that was an obvious hack and the bolts are so rusted that the round nuts on the bottom swelled and popped out of the plastic housing.

I know the damn thing is stuffed with sand and leaves and all sorts of shit because every other crevice of the car under the hood was the same way. I had to take a fender off and the body liner was FILLED WITH GODDAMN ACORNS.

somebody, anybody, pls, deploy assistance
>>
>>15976555
use hacksaw or dremel
cut bullshit nuts away
save them and get replacements at hardware store
should be less than $10
>filled with acorns
pics or it didn't happen
>>
>>15976693
I'll post pics when I take the other fender off when I get a replacement, guaranteed ACORNS for fucking days
>>
File: air filter gore.jpg (209KB, 735x1041px) Image search: [Google]
air filter gore.jpg
209KB, 735x1041px
>>15976555
>filled with acorns
just swapped out the air filter on my 00 focus, are you me?
>>
>>15976555
>>15978362
>either samefagging really hard or squirrels are dicks
either way wew lad tell those rodent fgts to GTFO your vehicle assemblies
>>
File: Waste of money.png.jpg.exe.bmp.jpg (514KB, 1568x1026px) Image search: [Google]
Waste of money.png.jpg.exe.bmp.jpg
514KB, 1568x1026px
>>15978447
not a samefag. The stock air filter boxes are part of ford's """engineering""" in that they use cheap brittle plastic that cracks. I have a hole in my filter housing that I've got duct taped over for now, I plan to eventually swap it for a short ram because a new housing is $50 and I may as well spend the extra $70 and be happy.

Squirrels are dicks. Not on my car but I saw one where the front grille was missing (where the turd is in pic related) and a chipmunk or other rodent used that to climb into the engine bay, down the air intake, and from there it nested in the air filter. It made that previous pic look like daisies.

>>15976555
to address your previous problem, put pressure on the bottom as you unscrew, if I'm reading it right your bolts are stripped?
>>
File: pehs4W.png (778KB, 1053x642px) Image search: [Google]
pehs4W.png
778KB, 1053x642px
Is there any way I can buy a car and get the title in my name from North Carolina and bring it to Virginia but not title or register it with the Virginia DMV?

From what I can tell you have to register the car when you transfer the title and that requires car insurance. I don't want to pay insurance on a car I won't be driving for a couple months. Any advice?
>>
File: 2003_jaguar_x-type.jpg (695KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2003_jaguar_x-type.jpg
695KB, 1600x1200px
Is pic related a bad idea to buy?

The way I see it the car is mostly FERD anyway.

Parts don't seem to bee too expensive...but how is working on them? A pain?
>>
First time on this board. What do you guys think about Renault?
>>
>>15981150
Which one exactly?
>>
How much damage can you get from hitting a dip at 50 mph
how worried should i be
>>
>>15981164
I was thinking in general. But if we have to be specific how about the new Talisman?
>>
>5.0 v8
>After a decent in town drive (4 miles)
>Make a turn and pull into parking spot
>Turn off engine (gas)
>Starts sputtering, still firing
>This happens for about 10 seconds
>Attempt to start it
>starter grind
>engine stopped sputtering
>start it up
>let it sit
>turn it off again
>didn't sputter this time

What just happened? Should I be concerned? Just a fluke?
>>
I've been reading the IRS upgrade thread over at svtperformance. Realistically how well would a 99 cobra handle should I go through with updating the suspension?
>>
>>15981196
Carbed?
Throttle is adjusted open slightly because idle speed is set too high, extreme rich condition, or egr is open at idle. That made my truck diesel at least.
>>
>>15975298
If you think it's fine, a coupe will do just good.

And no, the Rc350 has the same rear space as a Mustang which means less legspace. Only a kid could sit there.

Actually I cross shopped the Rc350 with the Mustang and I bought the new Mustang instead. I would recommend the Mustang if you want fun and RC350 if just to cruise around.
>>
>>15965991
rent a car tow trailer for 50 bucks at uhaul, and tow the car back to your place. Then you can register at your leisure.
>>
>>15965915
What I do, is I have a friend with me, we buy the car, I either test my luck and don't insure it, or I put it on my insurance right when I get the keys and the title.

Then, I have either me or my friend follow the tagless car while we drive it back, park it, tag it the next week day, and call it good to go.

My closest call in over 10 craigslist car deals was

>buy car
>have title filled out, and on me in car
>have old tag from a car that I plan on transfering to new car on the car
>have proof of insurance from that same car
>drive home
>get pulled over
>officer says tag doesn't belong
>I explain the situation, show him my proof of insurance (which I actually don't have applied to this car I'm in)
>show him my registration of the tag to the other vehicle it claims
>show the title dated and filled out appropriately

He lets me go, no harm, no foul, I got pulled over again the next day on my way to the courthouse to tag it and it was the same story, that time with even more haste, because I was literally one block from the court house.

But, I was actually insured the second time he pulled me over.
>>
>>15975320
Water will get into the circuits and cause problems, and the plastics that cover those connectors will degrade more quickly
>>
>>15975916
Literally fiero with a body kit
>>
>>15976225
Yes
>>
>>15979402
Yeah, you can but it won't be legal
>>
>>15981169
if your vehicle is low to the ground you could have scraped the oil pan or subframe (and trans if FWD), but the rule of thumb is is there's no fluids leaking or strange noises you should be ok

>>15979825
the only people I know who drive these are pieces of shit white trash and they can't maintain them properly
>could be good, but probably not
>>
>>15981553
thanks,I already replaced the hose that went to it and the stuttering on the highway went away, but it still idles rough. checked the intake and all the other vacuum hoses, leaning towards a dirty IAC valve since it only runs rough when idling
>>
>>15979402
check all headlights, plate lights
get a big ass coffee
..... you see where i'm going with this?
>>
can i drive a miata/sw20/3_0z or any rwd in the winter? i live on the northeastern united states so we get fucked in the ass w/ snow every year
>>
>>15976486
anybody?
>>
Does anyone have that webm saved of a dashcam of a miata and he sees another and they wink at each other with their pop ups?
>>
I need to repair my door handles in my 96 Sierra 1500 all the time and the door panels already lost their interior handles because lol plastic. Where's a good place to get a new door panel?
>>
>>15982344
New ones probably don't exist, your best bet is the nearest pick and pull with the same model truck as you have
>>
File: IMG_1036.jpg (809KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1036.jpg
809KB, 3264x2448px
What octane should I put in a 2001 r34 with an rb20de neo? Very hard to find this info for non turbo model and the text inside the fuel cap is worn off
>>
>>15983437
it should be in the manual, if not start with low grade and if it detonates when you hoon then go up a grade; repeat until no detonation
>>
>>15970993
Bullshit. But if not bullshit and in good condition you got an amazing deal
>>
Heel-Toe Shifting. I don't get it.Why am I supposed to step on the gas while breaking? What's the use? Seriously, no troll question.
>>
>>15983437

i had a HCR32 back in the day, run at least 91 octane in my option even though its non turbo. if youre broke run at least 89

>>15983684

rev matching, reduces the wear on your transmission. you take the workload off it

>>15982344

pick n pull/junkyard is the only option, or find someone parting one out

>>15981169

crawl under it. if the oil pan isnt caved in and nothings leaking, its probably fine. my Toyota Crown i hit a big fucking dip on the highway at 140kmh and caught air, nothing came of it. years back in the old company truck, a 85 Chevy C10, i caught air off a buckle on the highway. no issues after

>>15981196

is it carbed? might be dieseling, look what dieseling in a carbureted vehicle is on google. too long for me to explain
>>
>>15983684

>>15983714

>rev matching, reduces the wear on your transmission. you take the workload off it

Not really, no. Heel-toe is more to prevent shock loading the tires during a downshift while braking before entering a corner. It only really matters if you're pushing the limits of grip while braking, and any additional force on the tires will exceed the limit of the tires.

Like say you're braking extremely hard, using 90% of the tires grip ability. Then you downshift in a FWD car, and the sudden downshift without the braking requires 20% of the tires grip ability. If you do both at the same time, you now need 110% grip, which you don't have, and you'll understeer a bit. But if you rev match, because there isn't an additional load on the tires, you're still at 90% of the ability of the tires, so you don't understeer.

If you're in the north east, or anywhere that gets snow really, you can experiment with this at sane speeds by fucking around in a parking lot after it snows. Find a speed where you can turn and keep going on the line you want, either under braking or just coasting. Then take the same line at the same speed, but shift to 1st or 2nd without rev matching, and see if you maintain your line. The same theory applies to higher speeds on dry roads.

Regular rev matching though, you're correct. It reduces the difference in speed that the syncros have to make up for, which helps reduce wear on them.
>>
>>15983714
>>15983898
Thanks guys. I was told it makes downshifting faster, but that's apparently not the case.
>>
>>15984000
It can make downshifting faster, by eliminating the need to let the clutch out slowly for it to be smooth. When you rev match you literally dump the clutch as fast as you can and its smooth as silk when you get it right
>>
>>15968327
Sand that shit yo
The clear will fill in any tiny scratches and leave it smooth.
>>
Just got a used 2013 Hyndai Elantra w/ 45000 on it, I read reviews and everything before but was wondering what else I can expect in the next 5 years
>>
My riding mower wouldn't run. I changed the oil, filters, and gas and it still wouldn't start or run.

I took off the carb and cleaned it and reinstalled it and it will run now but it stalls at lower rpms.

I had to charge the battery overnight and the battery now won't start it after I ran it for a few minutes.

Is the carb still not clean? Can a bad alternator make it run poorly at lower rpms? Can a bad battery + alternator do that? What's the best way to check? Thanks
>>
Trying to get my bike up and running for Daytona biketoberfest
>install spare carb that was in better condition than the other one that blew its float bowl gasket
>turn on fuel
>floods into bowls, comes out overflow valve
>turn off fuel
>try again tomorrow
>fuel refuses to come out tank even though it's full
>the only way fuel comes out is if I loosen the tube and let outside air come in
>remove float bowl drain plugs
>nothing comes out
What gives? Its giving me symptoms of the bowl being too full/stuck needle, but nothing drains out of the bowl
>>
>>15984418
Sounds like the starter
>>
>>15984789
It starts just fine when it has power. Why would a starter affect it like that while it is running at low rpms?
>>
>>15984796
Spark plugs then.
>>
>>15984817
I forgot to mention earlier, but in servicing the mower I changed both of them out and set the gap properly.
>>
Will i get good knowledge if i browse /o/ forever?
I like cars but i don't know anything about them
>>
>>15984418
Maybe something from the fuel to the engine, injecter, line, etc. idk I really have no idea about engines, let alone small engine repairs lol
>>
>>15984853
not at all
/o/ doesn't know anything about cars

Anyway I also have a question, a guy is selling his Aprilia RS50 scooter with a big bore kit to 80cc. It has 13,000 miles on it and he's asking $2000. I think that's way too much for it but idk shit about scooters or mopeds, how much should I offer him? I was thinking around the $700-1200 range since it is 14 years old too
>>
Been looking at late 80s early 90s mustangs, only thing holding me back is I just can't love the headlights.

How can I make them look "sharper?"

I guess if you know what I mean, you know. Is there a way?
>>
I bought a 2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spev V for $2000. Did I fuck up?
>>
File: 1439835207103.gif (2MB, 389x279px) Image search: [Google]
1439835207103.gif
2MB, 389x279px
>>15981829
anon here, drained all the charge from the system to reset the ecu
>mfw the remapping fixed everything
still going to do the IAC when weather is good
>>
>>15985123
>what is aftermarket?

>>15985659
nah sounds pretty good, not even joking
>>
>>15985672
101k miles
anything i should look out for? previous owner redid the exhaust and it's really loud lol kinda wanna make it quieter
>>
hey anons I have a radio wiring harness to attach...

I have a heat gun (blow dryer on steroids) but no soldering gun, and I don't get paid until this next following thurs, so I'm planning ahead.

Is it worth investing in a soldering gun? I don't see any use for it after this is done.

Would I be okay with just crimping and then heat shrink sealing it together? It's not going to be inside of the engine bay so I'm not worried about extreme heat...

Tl;dr is crimping "good enough" for a radio wiring harness?
>>
>>15985734
>soldering gun
don't get a soldering gun
get a soldering iron
it's like $10
if you don't do that get solder and use a lighter to melt it on and fuse the wires.
>>
File: Nissan-Hardbody.jpg (188KB, 2364x1104px) Image search: [Google]
Nissan-Hardbody.jpg
188KB, 2364x1104px
>>15985703
it's a Nissan, follow service intervals religiously and it will serve you well
>what to look out for
look for good forums to lurk, they will have the most relevant info
make sure it got serviced in the manifold recall
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399400
>site to check if it got serviced, need VIN
https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/
>cursory search shows above electrical problems, excessive oil consumption, and minor parts
these are all normal complaints for abused vehicles
love ur Nissan
>t. 1991 d21 owner
>278,000 miles on ka24e
>>
>>15985734
>>15985750
second for iron, more usefuel, if u use solder tip will last forever
also the torch style lighters are the best
>>
>>15985781
remember to flux
>>
File: 1452458883194.png (55KB, 384x279px) Image search: [Google]
1452458883194.png
55KB, 384x279px
>>15985784
>not using 60/40
>>
>>15985784
>>15985837
you've lost me
>>
>>15985843
u can get solder with a flux core, it's 60% lead (or whatever if using non-lead solder) and 40% flux
>takes the guesswork out of using solder vs. flux
>>
>>15985837
that would count as fluxing
just the shitty lazy way
>>
I have winter tires on a fresh set of steel rims. Anything preventative measure wise I could or should do at this point given they are clean? Wax em?
>>
When in gear (especially 4th/5th) and cruising, I get a long whirling sound that's kinda loud. It's also difficult to place into 1st or R gear from park occasionally.

Is that just the tran fluid or what's habbading. Mebe the differential?
>>
Have 02 Malibu. Lately the engine revs have been sounding louder than normal while driving. Muffler sounds normal during idle. No check engine light. What could make the engine sound louder than usual?
>>
>>15987677
probably a bad gasket along your exhaust line, there's not a whole lot of exhaust pressure during idle, so the gasket works, or at least leaks less. During driving, more pressure, more leaking, louder sounds. I'd check all those first.
>>
>>15987351
Wax is a good preventative, but at the end of the day, rinsing them off with soft water would be the best way to keep them fresh the longest.
>>
Is BMW G30 coming with an option of a diesel engine with sub-1.6L in 2017? Heard some vague stuff about it.

In my country, engines bigger than 1.6L has "ridiculous taxation".
>>
>>15982015
anybody?
>>
>>15988854
Theoretically yes

You might want to swap out the stock tires for some wider ones, just the rears will do fine.

There's something you can do with the differential to help also but I'm not an expert

other than that wash car bi-weekly to keep road salt from rusting your car
>>
>>15987677
99% chance it's some form of exhaust leak.

Weather's getting colder, so your metal and rubber pieces are now in the "shrink" phase, so something isn't 100% flush, creating your "loud engine noise".
>>
Any tips for tracking down a coolant leak?

I've got a 1999 626. Before I bought it, the previous owner crashed into a trailer hitch and replaced the radiator. The bushings on top were destroyed, so the radiator can be moved slightly back and forth on top.

I'm not having any problems with overheating and coolant isn't being dumped into the cabin, so I don't think it's the heater core.

I'm not sure if it's the water pump. The main problem is I can't see where it's actually coming from. There was a bit coming out from the cap, but I replaced it and that seems to have stopped.

Is it possible they broke a hose while installing the radiator?
>>
>>15962772
Is the Focus ST as based as the FiST?
I've been wanting to buy one for a while, but can't get an unbiased opinion in between the car media's shilling and the forum circle jerks.
>>
>>15991061
it's good if you want a little bit of extra size, but is it worth the premium for the gimmicky awd?

If you're wanting a duriftu magnet, look elsewhere.
if you're wanting sporty awd, look towards one of the subies.

Tl;dr it's nice and fun and its a ferd but you can probably do better for price/performance.
>>
>>15991144
He's talking about the ST, not the RS.
>>
>>15991144
Was more going with the ST as opposed to the RS, I'd rather put in some elbow grease and build my own drift missile.
>>
>car idles like shit
>replace fuel filter
>still runs shit
>replace plugs
>still shit
high pitched intermittent whistle in engine bay, could it be vaccuum leak?
>>
File: tank drift.webm (1MB, 1148x1022px) Image search: [Google]
tank drift.webm
1MB, 1148x1022px
my car sits pretty low to the ground (third gen firebird) and the roads around here are fucking horrible. theres literally no stretch of road more than 50 feet around here that doesnt have some form of dip/hump/crack/etc. im wanting to make it so i can hit all that without worrying about fucking something up. would i just get better springs? i havent really shopped for springs yet, so what should i be looking for?
>>
Question for Rotary gurus on here.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/5810887441.html

Would this be a bad starter Rotary? I want a quick and excellent handler car. I also love the braps but ive never driven a rotary.

I would kill for a FD but I feel that it's too much for me. Though Im stupid enough to take out a loan for one.
>>
So I just got a car over the weekend and the key is pretty much falling apart. It's all taped up. 2007 honda accord coupy
Now I don't want to spend 150 or so dollars on getting a new key from the dealer so I'm gonna resort to a local hardware place. I bought a key fob off of Amazon for like 15 bucks. How do I go about getting it cut and working?

Do I just put the old immobilizer chip inside the new case and get it cut at the store or will that not work?
>>
>>15991237
Did you check the air intake hose? My car used to be jumpy as fuck idling until I realized there was a cut in the air intake hose. For now I taped it up and it's working but I'll be ordering a replacement off ebay soon.
>>
File: 7404_Dodge-Demon-340_3 - Copy.jpg (88KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
7404_Dodge-Demon-340_3 - Copy.jpg
88KB, 640x480px
Any MOPAR enthusiasts on this board that can help me with troubleshooting?
>>
>>15971808
Glad I decided to search the thread.

Does it matter if I use euro metric when the recommended is P-metric as long as tire size is the same?
>>
>>15991193
woops, completely glazed over that.

ST is the spiritual successor of what was originally the SVT back in the first gen. More horsies and stronger suspension. It's only like 4k more than the base focus so I'd say go for it.

Basically, for price performance, ST > SE > other cars > RS
>>
>>15991427
yeah there's a cut just past the air temp sensor but i taped it up a few months ago
>>
File: IMG_20161004_180415.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161004_180415.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
>>15991461
\o/
Whats wrong?
>>
>>15991669
as you can see from your bottom right corner there, your seal came loose, letting moisture in, which when heated evaporated and left that deposit.... I think. I'm just an armchair mechanic.
>>
>>15991675
Haha i know whats wrong in Pic related
I asked mopardude what his problem is.

I cleaned carbs from a gsx1100e that stood for 8 years with bad gas.
>>
File: Scamp2012-6.jpg (98KB, 799x597px) Image search: [Google]
Scamp2012-6.jpg
98KB, 799x597px
>>15991669
i rebuilt a 360 magnum with my buddies for my dart. got it in. i cant for the life of me to get it to idle properly.

specs:
keith black pistons so the compression is a little bit higher
enginequest heads
edelbrock air gap intake
holley 750 double pumper
reground cam (should be around .510 lift and .280/.280 duration)
dizzy i got off of ebay

finally got it to fire up after i realized i oriented the timing gears incorrectly and put them back in the right way. i got it timed decent i believe ~14*. around half throttle it coughs up out the carb. i rejetted with smaller jets. cant find any vacuum leaks anywhere

im about to just have it towed to the shop. i just hope its something minor that overlooked. this is my first real build

pic kinda related. not mine
>>
Any cars with good mpg, and roomy back seat that aren't slow as shit?
>>
>>15991714
Electronic ignition?
Coil ok?

12° at idle
~34 at 3000
Is a good starting Point
>>
>>15991745
HEI distributor with vacuum advance. coil should be good. buddy gave it to me because he didnt use it. i made a mistake in the original description. i can get it to idle, but i have to manipulate the throttle, and it dies around half throttle.

ill try that.
i need to get under there and mess with the bulkhead connector i slightly messed up when i replaced a fusible link that melted
>>
>>15991745
i was thinking maybe too much carb?
>>
>>15991714
>coughs out the carb

It's too lean. On that displacement I'd expect to find a primary jet size in the 72 to 76 range with the secondary size 2 to 4 sizes larger than that.

Might have to massage the accelerator pump shot some too but the jets have to be in the ballpark first.
>>
>>15991799
shoot. i guess i went in the opposite direction. ill definitely try it. i dont know why i never thought of that. it just seemed like it was dumping a crazy amount of gas in there

also, its bored .030 over and i threw on som doug thorley headers.

how much hp/torque do you think ill be making when i have it tuned right?
>>
>>15991799
also when it does cough out of the carb, gas comes out of the vent tubes
>>
>>15991827
Well, it would because that's a positive pressure pulse being blown right into the bowl back through the discharge boosters.

To get the proper primary jet get it running where it'll take throttle everywhere and then put a vacuum gauge on it. Start runing the primary jets down by 2's until it just starts to sag when you accelerate to the point just before the power valve would open in high gear. Then go up a size or two.

Secondaries you time a wot throttle run and keep increasing the size until no change and go back to the prior pair
>>
Planetary gears are too complicated for me.
How do I make an autotragic transmission downshift on demand without stabbing the brakes?
>>
>>15991943
Unless you do some fucking magic to force send a downshift signal to the controller, you won't get it to downshift without stabbing the brakes.
>>
When I downshift and rev match, is it better to over rev or under rev?
>>
>>15992018
It's better to match.
But
>engine braking: under rev
>downshift for power: over rev
>>
>>15992018
Makes little difference, though there might be more engine braking with under rev.
It shouldn't really matter at all.
>>
>>15992026
>under rev
>car slows down like you've just hit a mountain
>guy behind rears you
>>
Hello m80s, car battery (ford fiesta, stock battery, 5 years old) is at 11,6 volt, I need a new one dont' I?
>>
>>15992246
Yes, you need a new battery.
Ideally a fully charged battery should be at about 12.6V, maybe a bit more.
>>
>>15982015
Sure, all depends on driver skill. If you have issues, get a set of winter tires and wheels. Just remember to wash your car frequently to avoid rust
>>
>>15991366
take potholes and dips (and speedbumps/tables) at an angle
>source: watching cops fly over speed tables at 50 MPH diagonally
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8jgYkLxrGo
>fkn bogans, its not in the road rules

>>15991410
>I am disabled and can't use google
http://www.programautokeys.com/
>>
>>15992813
>literally every cars instructions are to call a locksmith to car
>retard
>>
>>15988775
>>15989557

Thanks
>>
>>15992913
I'm not talking about the remote, anyone can do that. The immobilizer chip is what I'm seeking information about. Car won't go without it and that needs to be reprogrammed (along with the remote).
>>
i have a spider sack in the wheel well next to a bolt i want to undo. how do i avoid getting crawlies over everything and could the sack be a dud? it's the end of fall where i live
>>
Looking at trying to do dumb shit. I drive a lancer, 130hp, 300ft/lb out of a 2.0 liter engine. Was wondering, would it be feasible to pull a supercharger out of an older car and retrofit it? Having gone over the mechanics versus a turbo, I think it'd do better with the relatively high torque and that I want to keep power at lower revs. I don't care as much if it isn't "optimum," just if that shit is doable.
>>
>>15994096
light it on fire or spray it with something
>>
>>15994336
if you have an older car i guess you can do that without getting an aftermarket ecu. trim off the injectors like mighty car mods did in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmhmIi028-s&ab_channel=MightyCarMods.
this will leave you with almost the same air/fuel ratio but your fuel economy might get you laughed at by other econoboxes.

i'm well familiar with old 1996-2000 1.3L and 1.6L lancers and the engines are really tolerant of your shit but i'm no expert on tuning.

>>15994876
i did both. scorched the inside of my bumper and finally closed the sack with paint. turned out fine
>>
Dear phonse hole,

Can you nuke /pol/ pls?

Are you fast enough?

Thx bb.
>>
File: white bois at it again.jpg (80KB, 599x464px) Image search: [Google]
white bois at it again.jpg
80KB, 599x464px
>>15994895
>omg pol is so racist
>>
>>15994968
Oh I don't give a shit about their racism, I just want to see the butthurt
>>
Are any of these salvage cars worth it for me? https://www.easyexport.us/vehicle-finder?clone-vehicleType=&clone-make=&clone-model=&clone-yearMin=1920&clone-yearMax=2017&clone-currentBidMin=0&clone-currentBidMax=100000&clone-vehicleColor=&clone-driveType=&clone-odoMin=&clone-odoMax=&clone-vehicleDamage=&clone-title=&clone-fuel=&clone-miles=&clone-zip=&clone-stateList=MN&clone-locationList=&saledate=&searchByTypeSubmit=Search

I was interested in this one:
https://www.easyexport.us/vehicle-finder/lot-29997616/2006-nissan-altima-salvage-title-mn-st.-cloud
>>
>>15994968
that's because there so few white people in NYC, they're the minority if you add all the other groups together.

But I digress, crime's at an all time low here so eh.
>>
File: 234973993.jpg (536KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
234973993.jpg
536KB, 750x1000px
Is there anything that can be done for my paint? Apart from stripping it back and re-painting the whole this?
>>
File: V8POWA.jpg (687KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
V8POWA.jpg
687KB, 1920x1080px
Old guy offered me 4 grand for pic related. It has 106,000 miles and no issues. What do?
>>
>>15995164
nah you're fucked m8
>2 choices
>easy:
stickerbomb it
>not as easy
unmount trunk lid or mask off rear quarterpanels and rear window plus bumper
>prep
clean it
>prep
sand it (200-400 if using sander)
>prep
clean it again
>acquire paint and clearcoat
some places (like Napa and most specialty vehicle paint stores) will color match your vehicle and put it in a spraycan for you
>spray it
>sand it again (1200 or greater grit)
>clean it again
>clearcoat
>>
>>15995423
check NADA and KBB, be honest, and decide if you really want to sell it
>I wouldn't
>>
File: 1433967818571.png (2MB, 1065x902px) Image search: [Google]
1433967818571.png
2MB, 1065x902px
>>15995423
Laugh in his face and say "I know what I have, lowballer."
>>
File: 1463026071544.jpg (31KB, 401x212px) Image search: [Google]
1463026071544.jpg
31KB, 401x212px
>>15994996
>are salvage cars worth it?
no, you will pay more to insure them and they have literally no resale value, as well as being a hassle to re-register
if money is no object just buy one with a clean title
>mfw didn't even have to click on your bullshit links
>>
File: whatstancefagsthinkilooklike.jpg (2MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
whatstancefagsthinkilooklike.jpg
2MB, 5472x3648px
>>15996093
THIS
>my sides
>>
>>15995423
You're dumb if you didn't take it. I can get those all day for $1-$3k. Theres a 2011 with 130k for $3500. Probably could get it for $3k.
>>
>>15995124
>all time low
compared to 3 years ago, lolno.
>>
What is best pickup I can get in USA for under $5500

preferably easy to find in a manual
>>
>>15996145
nissan hardbody
>>
>>15996168
i thought so

ty
>>
File: 1457932870511.jpg (145KB, 900x544px) Image search: [Google]
1457932870511.jpg
145KB, 900x544px
>>15992813
>at an angle
already do that, but that doesnt stop the car from bouncing everywhere and sounding like somethings about to break when i hit a slight bump at 15mph. i was wanting to reduce/prevent that
>>
>>15962772
I want to start learning about cars when I'm not studying EE. I have very little knowledge is their a textbook or something I could use to start reading up on parts and what certain function they do.
>>
File: 1475744669868.gif (2MB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
1475744669868.gif
2MB, 320x200px
What is the best piece of shit i can get for ~5k
>>
>>15996346
nissan 240sx
>>
>>15996378
How bout ~7k
>>
what are /o/'s thoughts on the 2017 chevy cruze hatch? I think it looks pretty good
>>
What are the chances that I will meet a qt in a car meet and potentially become my girlfriend?
>>
>>15996731
Well if that guy can get one with an S2000 you chances are pretty high.
>>
>>15996731
Practically zero. Why would a girl come to a car meet unless dragged there by her boyfriend
>>
File: 1.jpg (39KB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
39KB, 852x480px
>>15996745
>>15996751
where do car guys find their gfs?
>>
>>15996831
Nowhere specific. Cars are a guy thing if you want a girl who likes them then you have to get a regular girl and introduce her to them.
>>
>>15962772
Do Canadians have to wait 15 years to import a car from the USA?
>>
>>15981282
I'm also in the verge of buying a new GT. Do you recommend one as a daily driver?
>>
>>15962772
Christ, I'm not a VAG fan by any stretch of the word, but they nailed that design holy shit. Too bad it's automatic only. Fuck you Porsche
>>
File: Porsche-911_R-2017-1280-32.jpg (188KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Porsche-911_R-2017-1280-32.jpg
188KB, 1280x960px
>>15996918
The 911 R is a 6-spd manual and it only comes in that.

Also you still can get the base 911s with a manual.
>>
>>15996932
Oh, nigger fuck. I thought the pic was a turbo. Awesome
>>
>>15996346
There's a sticky at the top of the page for that.
>>
>>15996241
No, however, how stuff works and wikipedia will help.

Reading up on how transmissions and engines work will give you a basic understanding.

However if you're really interested in learning you'll need to get your hands dirty.
>>
>>15997027
Are you a stripper
>>
File: 0048.png (4KB, 717x375px) Image search: [Google]
0048.png
4KB, 717x375px
>>15997041
>>
>>15996953
Why would anyone want a manual in a GT car? In a GT car you are looking for hours of comfort rather than fun you dumbass.
>>
>>15997245
If you're driving for hours in a city, you're a schmuck, and I don't feel like most people are going to be changing out of OD while on the highway.
>>
File: 9e35ccaf7255e8a3.jpg (633KB, 1353x1070px) Image search: [Google]
9e35ccaf7255e8a3.jpg
633KB, 1353x1070px
>>15965473
consider kys
>>
What's the manliest car? I don't want anyone thinking I'm gay.
>>
>>15997255
You're just stupid.
>>
File: normal_4wd.jpg (26KB, 400x238px) Image search: [Google]
normal_4wd.jpg
26KB, 400x238px
>>15997375
A lifted Miata.

Run over anyone that calls you a girl or a hairdresser. Watch people run for their lives.
>>
>>15964942
Put a length of pipe over the handle of your ratchet, use it as a lever. Also try heat
>>
>>15997480
read:
>I can't drive manual
>>
>>15997484
Congrats, you have evolved from go-kart to lifted golf cart... fag.
>>
>>15997035
Thank you will do. I just don't have an extra vehicle to mess around with.
>>
Is the 2004 civic type r 3d facelift a shit when it comes to crash safety? How does it compare against an audi tt in this regard? Is there a site where i can compare crashtest results myself? I'm an eurofag if that matters.
>>
I want to swap in a 6.5 detroit diesel into an El Camino.

The block with fit anywhere a 350 or 305 has been since they have the same mounts. However, I don't know what transmission to use.

What transmission would be easiest to use for this swap? Overdrive is a must. Preferably a minimum of 4 gears.
>>
2017 Genesis G80 dealer owner's demo for $38k out the door. V6 awd. Should I do it? I'd be paying $20k down plus $5k trade in and financing the rest just to build credit for 3 years
>>
>>15995423
i wish i could get a v8 family sedan for that price
>>
>>15997706
Any cart can turn at the blink of an eye. A vehicle with big heavy tires don't turn quickly.
>>
http://victoria.craigslist.ca/cto/5789155982.html

this listing seems sketchy as hell to me and I don't know why, anything from the pics or listing that seems off to anyone here? I'm looking for a first car and this seems really nice. I'm guessing he might not have listed the KMs because they are outrageously high
>>
>>15965448
Yes, master is leaking
>>
>>15997375
any dodge that comes with a v8 option. trucks might be a bit overkill though
>>
>>15997375
Vw golf in autistic tech professional white
>>
>>15996231
>bouncing around
>sounds like something's about to break
if it's really that bad you should consider getting new motor mounts first
>how to tell if yours are bad:
>have someone watch the engine while you shift
>putting it on stands might help if not an autotragic
>if engine moves or leaps, they're bad
>>
>>15996904
Not if the model was made for the North American market, and if it wasn't then by the time the US can import it, we've already been able to
>>
Is Craigslist the only/most popular private selling platform? Where else can I browse besides my local auto trader magazine?
>>
I have a 2016 Chevy Colorado and I pull a lot with it. The 305 horse leaves a lot to be desired, but I like it. Would a K&N Blackhawk CAI and a performance chip be worth the extra money? How loud would the CAI make the truck? Thanks.
>>
>>15999435
I use CarGurus a lot
>>
>>15999466
Cai won't do shit with out a proper tune and just chipping it doesn't count as a tune.

Call a speed shop or off road shop and see what they say.
>>
>>15999435
Search tempest, Cars.com, ebay.
>>
>>15999611
Thanks, man. Any idea how much a tune would cost?
>>
>>15999661
Depends on the local rates/taxes, Its usually 500+ here where I live.
>>
File: ford fucker.jpg (60KB, 478x834px) Image search: [Google]
ford fucker.jpg
60KB, 478x834px
so I have a newish car with warranty. had a problem, and took it to dealer to fix it, dropped it off at 8am and walked home (fuckers don't have a shuttle on sunday). Have a dashcam for rear window that I didn't remove because it's too much work to take it out. You cannot see it unless rear headrests are down, and back window is tinted just enough it's hard to see. Just got it back and reviewed some of the footage.

Thought I was just going to find nothing, and most of it was just parking lot and going into the shop sunday. Then I see two vids that stand out the following day i pick it up. (12th)

Their tech took a spirited drive around their parking lot in 1st gear. No warm up time. Re parks it and gives it some more hard revving, enough to make a pop. I do have an aftermarket exhaust on it. He actually walks behind the car and you can see who it is. Later same tech starts car and instantly starts revving it. My dash cam turns on when the key fob is clicked so I know it's not warm. He proceeds to drive aggressively through parking lot, slows down before coming out the shop and gives me the car. I probably wouldn't care if it wasn't a turbo car. Anyways he is the same one who dropped it off for me.

Should I go after them for anything?
I know someone who is a family friend who works for this dealer, so it's not like i would get ignored.
>>
>>15999671
Dayum. I was hoping it would be a little bit less, but it's all good.
>>
>>15999948
I would show the video to the manager and ask if that is how customer cars are treated. Tech will likely be fired, maybe they'll give you a free oil change or something stupid like that as an "apology".
>>
>>15999948
yeah that's bullshit, I'd be mad
>>
is it wrong to use student money on car parts
>>
>>15983630
not bs but the bluebook value is 3500 and we already had to put 600 bucks of work in to get it to pass inspection
>>
Would a FD be a bad first Rotary car? I like Rotaries, i think theyre interesting.

But i adore everything about the FD, balace, handling and its styling. I love the FD.
>>
>>15967900

ignore this retard
>>
>>16001676

legally, yes. morally, debatable. is buying car parts contributing to the common good of the world?
>>
Ok my question is battery/alternator related.

My car didn't want to start the other day so I got a jump and went home, then took it to get charged the next day. They said it didn't take a charge so I would have to get a new one. I got a new battery today and I got the alternator tested at the same time, they said the starter was fine, but the alternator had a bad voltage regulator. Apparently, on my car (2008 Camry V6) the voltage regulator can't be replaced without changing the alternator.

The guy at Autozone showed me the screen on his battery-measuring device it said the alternator was putting out 13.9V. I pointed out that that's where it's supposed to be and he said it was fluctuating too much, the "ripple" reading was changing around crazy fast. Now I'm thinking that doesn't really matter and I'm fine, but he also said that if I didn't get it fixed it would kill the battery I just replaced.

My question is this: is it normal for the ripple of the alternator to be changing around so fast? Do I really have a bad alternator? The main voltage reading stayed pretty stable at 13.9, but I'm scared of paying for a new battery again in a few months.
>>
New QTDDTOT / SQT - >>16002793

>>
>Opel Astra H
>Yellow blinking light with the car and a wrench
>Internet says there is an immobilizer failure

Is this something that I can fix myself without electronics knowledge or do I need to take the car or just the keys to the repairs service?
>>
If my car uses a high security key (no translocation) do i need to get one cut somewhere specific? Or can i just go to a hardware store? I think the only difference is the precision in the cut or something
>>
Hello /o/, just got a Corolla 13, with 36k mileage, no accidents from the dealer for 12.8k dollars. They are offering a 7 year warranty or 100k mileage (really only 65) for an additional 2.4k, is it worth getting it on this warranty? Doing a bit of research, it seems like it'd be a waste, and i'd be driving this on avg. 10k miles per year. Also, can i get the dealer to do leather seats and tinted windows, how much would that go for
>>
Does anyone know if a 2008 mercury mariner hybrid has an alternator or does the 12v battery get charged the same way the big battery does? which I assume is by the electric motor.
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.