[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RX-8

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8

File: 15658728.jpg (173KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
15658728.jpg
173KB, 1024x768px
Considering buying a 2005 RX-8, pros/cons/similar cars to consider?
>>
>>15962290
Before you listen to anti rotary shitposters, I'll let you in on some shit normies don't appreciate
>it burns a quart per 5000 km, like ANY car, and still less than an average shitbox or HONDA/BMW FROM THE FACTORY
>MPGs are not great, but still doable for sure. Expect an average of 18-20 with the perks of having a fun-ass car
>maintenance is no different, if the engine blows it's an easy fix, don't let apex seals scare you
>enjoy your 50/50 weight distribution and great chassis

RX8 isn't my cup of tea but the FB-FD are my favourites. The sexiness, the handling (THE FUCKING HANDLING), the sound. Rotaries are life. You'll see. You'll see when you hit the fun as fuck power band
>>
File: 1422246466156.gif (160KB, 388x281px) Image search: [Google]
1422246466156.gif
160KB, 388x281px
>>15962290
do it
>>
>>15962290
>>15962290
You can't imagine how well these cars handle, seriously. Outside of unaffordable supercars and actual race cars, they are the best.
>>
>>15962290
later production is best, because it avoids the oil injection issue
>>
>>15962290
Pistons are gay.
>>
>>15962290
Renesis a shit, swap a 13b in.
>>
See >>15962325 there's a reason the older ones are so cheap. Also they are expensive to run.

>can actually fit in the back of this car (I'm 6'4")
>comfy interior (seat heaters, bose speakers) but still quite sporty (low/bucket type seats)
>the engine noise
>aesthetic
>not ridiculously quick but fast enough and extremely fun to drive
>>
I thought RX-8 was shit tier?
What kind of power do these things get?
>>
It's getting affordable. Don't expect it to be a 600hp beast like a fd because any kind of engine mods are ridiculously expensive because of the design. You can still make it look great and handle even better but not any faster in a straight line unless you drop 20k in parts and labor.
So the renesis can't be improved. If you think engine swaps you are still spending a shit ton of cash. LS swaps are difficult because of the design of the engine bay.
If stock power is not enough, look for something else.
>>
Just buy a Mazda6 MPS instead.
>>
File: DSC_0286.jpg (2MB, 6016x4000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0286.jpg
2MB, 6016x4000px
>>15962290
insane handling, lacking power. need a rebuild every 60-70k miles to keep the seals in tack and the power up.

for primarily track, i'd get an rx8 again, but for a car i needed to daily and track, i'd probably compromise and get an mx5. similar purchase price, cheaper to maintain, cheaper to do engine mods, better on fuel

handling though, unbeatable at the price

buy one for £500 with a blown engine and do the rebuild yourself
>>
>>15962290
Such a beautiful car. RX-7 looked different, yeah, but the Rx8 is going for a different kind of beautiful.

Anyway, if you want to buy a used one, follow this video:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgZJPW9uuZk
>>
>>15962290
Get the second gen.

A lot of engine issues were fixed.
>>
>>15962290
The RX-8 is a great car, but 2004 and 2005 are the worst years; things are even worse for the automatic versions from those years.

Get one that's a bit newer than that.
>>
>>15962290
If the RX-8 depreciated at an average rate of other cars, I'd say no, don't.
But since their value dropped like a rock due to fears of issues (which where very real fears of the <2006 models, sure), and you can get a 4 door/seat car that handles better than 99.9% of 2door cars, with nice build quality, for such a cheap price, it's very easy to recommend it as long as you get a 2006+ model one that is unlikely to have issues.

I also was considering getting one new over 10 years ago, and one reason I didn't is that it's different style I thought would wind up looking really bad after a fear years. Instead, it remains as one of the best looking cars of the era to this date to me. So that's another reason to get it, I'd say. It's not FD beautiful, but it's still really nice.

This is THE 2006+ sportscar to buy for under 20k.

Even then, one before 2006 can be gotten even cheaper, just make sure it's checked out by a good mechanic and that they have paper work for the recall that appears in order.
>>
>>15962469
232 hp stock.
You get about 20 more from ECU.
The limit you'll get NA without porting I think is about 270-285hp at the crank.

And FI won't give you a lot more. Mid 300s, so low 300s to the wheels.
At least you can tune it more than you can the S2000's engine. But neither are straight line cars.
>>
>>15962470
>So the renesis can't be improved
Can you super/turbo charge it?
>>
>>15964348
>The limit you'll get NA without porting I think is about 270-285hp at the crank.
yeah it's time to stop posting.
>>
I've read that they're more or less impossible to do anything with as far as engine mods/swaps and that you're pretty much stuck with factory power. How true is this? How quick are they in reality?
>>
>>15964306
>and you can get a 4 door/seat car that handles better than 99.9% of 2door cars
Is this a fucking joke?
>with nice build quality
No.
>>
>>15962313
>it burns a quart per 5000 km, like ANY car, and still less than an average shitbox or HONDA/BMW FROM THE FACTORY
keep telling yourself that. just went 14k on my S54 and not a drop needed to be added rotard.
>>
>>15966325
>>15962313
oh and those are miles, not kilometers.
>>
>>15966150
Not very true at all. While renesis motor definitely suffer from emissions related design restrictions unlike the previous 13B series they still respond pretty well to porting and bolt-ons.

The problem is N/A renesis rotaries and 13B's can't break past 230hp on just porting and bolt-ons alone. If you want more power you're going to need FI or consider swapping a 20B 3-rotor.
>>
Hello hi

Trim models? Sport/GT/whatever, what's the differences? Are they big deals?
>>
File: 1365721201210.jpg (100KB, 547x511px) Image search: [Google]
1365721201210.jpg
100KB, 547x511px
>>15962290
>>
>>15962495
Id rather do the 350z than either.
>>
File: 2004_mazda_mx-5_miata-pic-39925.jpg (114KB, 575x383px) Image search: [Google]
2004_mazda_mx-5_miata-pic-39925.jpg
114KB, 575x383px
>>15962495
This, 100x this. If all you do is DD, it's a waste, if you want maximum grip and handling the RX-8 or MX-5 are almost unbeatable for the price. The only contenders would be a 3rd gen MR-2 or early Boxster.

There's nothing in the world like nailing a corner on track in a momentum car with the tires howling at you as you close in on something that's 'supposed to be faster' than your shitbox.

>>15967323
I get it, some people don't like momentum cars, but for the price of a Z you can get a V8. Everyone I've talked to says the Z is a shit compromise between handling and weight. Don't get me wrong, the Z (and similar argument for the Genesis) not a bad car, just if I was going to buy something >3,200 lbs I'd get another 50-100hp for the nearly the same money in a Corvette, Mustang, or Camaro.
>>
Alright guys, I've never driven one of these before, but I desperately need to know exactly what to do not to destroy it, because I'm going to be driving one at a dealership tomorrow.

I've heard that you have to let it get really hot after you turn it on before you turn it off or it will flood, and I've also heard that you have to redline it at least once before you turn it off. Is this true? What else is there to know?
>>
>>15967770
>cold start and shutoff will flood the engine.
>don't be afraid to rev it hard, babying the engine kills them faster
>two-stroke premix is recommended but not absolutely needed.
>check your oil and top it off every few gas station stops.
>keep an eye out for high temperature or overheating, could mean your cat is fucked.
>if ignitions coils haven't been replaced with higher quality ones, do that fucking immediately.
also no you don't need to rev your engine before turning it off, that's fucking retarded.
>>
>>15967806
I mean, I thought I heard at least once while driving you're supposed to redline once per day, because it's how the engine cleans itself or something? Not directly before you turn it off.

And yeah, thanks, good to know. Of course, it's just a test drive, there's no way in hell I'd buy it without doing a compression test.
>>
>>15967837
meme level stuff, but it doesn't hurt to do it and it puts a smile on your face.

The same idea is talked about in direct injection cars, in the old days it was called an "Italian tune up" basically running the engine hard 'blows out' the carbon buildup by getting things moving fast, hot, and hard.

Basically let it get up to temperature and ease into using all of the rev range. Have some fun.
>>
>>15967837
The whole idea behind the idea of redlining once a day is that your removing the carbon buildup on the rotors/seals and preventing carbon lockup from occurring.

Also your catalytic converter will greatly appreciate not getting clogged with carbon debris and shoving exhaust back into the engine where it will do further damage to the seals.
>>
>>15967806
Engine flooding first batch problem. 2004-2005, Weak starter, shit sparks and factory battery. Ecu flash also fixed it. You have to try really hard to flood that shit.

People keep perpetually shit talking about 12 year old problems that where fixed long ago.
>>
>>15967943
Still wouldn't go around saying cold starting and shutting off is a good idea with a rotary engine.

Also the ECU reflash and battery/starter upgrade doesn't guarantee that the engine won't flood, all it did was reduce the frequency of it happening.
>>
>>15964692
tends to blow up
better to just put a 13B in there if you wanna turbo it
>>
lol apex seals
>>
File: anon-chan.jpg (98KB, 1136x852px) Image search: [Google]
anon-chan.jpg
98KB, 1136x852px
mx-5 is noice
>>
OP here, the specific one I'm considering appears to have an issue with the power steering and a fuel line leak somewhere. The price is pretty hard to beat though, is it worth it to have those addressed, and if so roughly how much would it cost?
>>
I have a Mazda Miata, but I've been thinking about getting one of these, is it similar? I'd be DDing it as well, can I do that?
>>
I keep seeing things about 15k. Really 15k? I just did a craigslist search for everything in my area and not one is more than 7k.
>>
>>15964348
>At least you can tune it more than you can the S2000's engine
You can make +500 HP on a stock S2000 engine with a turbo. They're pretty strung out when it comes to N/A mods, but the factory internals can take a ton of boost.
>>
>>15969425

Lel, they go for 3-4k euros here in Deutschland.
>>
File: Renesis NC.jpg (193KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Renesis NC.jpg
193KB, 1024x768px
>>15969420
the NC and RX-8 share the same platform

the RX-8 is basically a rotary NC with back seats, suicide doors and a fixed roof
>>
File: 1399939222225_dumpfm_catz_shrug.png (51KB, 384x313px) Image search: [Google]
1399939222225_dumpfm_catz_shrug.png
51KB, 384x313px
Does anybody have any advice for a newbie? I'm close to buying a 04' 6S, but the windshield is cracked, and there's this one deep scratch on the driver door. The guy wanted $3,500 but I brought him down to $2,500. Everything else is fine, the engine sounds beautiful.

Should I go for it?
>>
>>15962380
The renesis is a 13b
>>
>>15966325
>>15966340
Just because the oil is still present in its entirety doesn't mean it still has all of the original lubricating properties.
>>
>>15969553
Compression test you dumb shit

Other than that, if you're fine with the scratch (depending on the length, could cost you anywhere from 400-800 dollaydoos) and the engine is actually in good health, go for it.
>>
>>15969425
It's easy to forget they made them until 2011, that's a 5 year old car that sold for like $30k new so there are a few out there still asking >$15k in areas where there is demand.

Most are <$10k depending on year and history. Pre '07 seems to be $6k and under unless it's had everything done to it and is low mileage. The timebombs are <$4k.

>>15969553
Yes, spend the rest of the day reading rx8club and call him tomorrow.

>>15969580
While true that guy is crazy for thinking that burning a quart of oil over anything less than like 15k is acceptable for anything with pistons.
>Have 10 year old Acura with 100k miles, no burning oil
>Have Subaru with nearly 60k miles no burning oil
>POS Ferd truck my dad has burns that much
>>
>>15969665
I don't know anon, I think RX-8's are pretty nice.
[spoiler]Unless you're being sarcastic. Otherwise, I'll have to check rx8club out.[/spoiler]
>>
the gud
>rotary coolness
>sports car with back seats
>fun to drive
>looks neat
>nice power
the bad
>apex seals
>terrible fuel economy
>burns oil because rotary
>>
>>15969886
Honestly if you have time and an alternate beater the good outweighs the bad by far
>>
I'd only get one from a dealer with warranty
>>
>>15962290
dont
>>
Is a compression test an absolute indicator of the health of the engine?

What else is there to look for? What will the average shitty driver have ruined in the car?
>>
>>15962290

Stay away from ones with a replaced motor - it means they were abused. Also non-numbers matching makes them worth less.
>>
>>15971386
Anyone?
>>
>>15971386

from what I've been told you can't really compression test a rotary like a normal engine because the way they work is different.
>>
>>15971451
Umm no
Go for one's with a replaced motor
20k on new engine is better than 120k on old engine
>>
OP: Have an 06 grand touring. Great car. Way more handling than I can use on the street. Serious overkill. It also has phenominal brakes, which I appreciate when driving near the dipshits. MPG is always 18. Expensive insurance. Once on the track, the 8 rotates on command and is a dream, but I dont get to do that very often

Overall, I like my turbo FC more, but the 8 can carry my kids in the back.

If its cheap, and you are close to work, get it. There is no similar car for the price.
>>
>>15971921

no, you're wrong

120k on the original engine means they took care of it
20k on a replacement engine and 120k on the body means they beat it badly enough to pop a motor in 100k miles. who knows what kind of deferred maintenance or stress weakening the rest of the car has? plus they've put 20k more miles of neglect on the fresh motor.
>>
>>15971386
Pray to god you can find someone with a mazda rotary compression tester

Normal testers work, though with a hassle
>>
Looking at a 2009 R3, what's the depreciation on these like? I'm trying to avoid financial suicide on this.
>>
>>15969566
not what people mean by 13b though
>>
>>15976185
they're almost s2k prices, right?
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.