[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ricer exhaust vs tasteful exhaust?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 17

What separates a ricer exhaust from a tasteful exhaust? Please don't just say Honda. I'm looking for a more in depth explanation.
>>
>>15956366
Ricer exhausts are empty tube a or stupid things like that. Just make it loud and obnoxious. A tasteful exhaust produces a good note that isn't just stupidly loud.
>>
>>15956375
What exactly do you consider a good note?

Each brand seems to have it's own characteristic. Roush makes loud exhausts. Borla makes the exhaust deeper, etc.
>>
File: image.jpg (108KB, 960x759px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
108KB, 960x759px
ricer reporting
>>
did you go to the place down the street and have them weld up some of the cheapest shit for $100? ricer

did you order a legit catback online from a good brand with good welds and muffler/resonator? tasteful in most cases
>>
>>15956402
Is that a fucking bike handle?
>>
Multiple, long resonators.
>>
Are any of the following brands considered ricer?
Roush
Borla
Flowmaster
>>
>>15956418
no
no
depends if just muffler to weld in or a full system
>>
>>15956390
A car is not a trumpet. I think what makes aftermarket exhausts so bad is the fact that they try to sound better then they are, and it sounds like it's trying to fake performance. Get a better exhaust system for performance, not sound, and a better sound will probably develop because the air will not be as constricted and the note will deepen.
>>
Can anyone recommend good exhaust brands?
>>
>>15956390
Giant-ass fartcan on stock exhaust will usually just make it louder. As you said a proper exhaust sytem will change the exhaust note since it's redoing everything.
>>
>>15956438
Which car are you working on>>15956438
>>
Is drone unavoidable with aftermarket exhausts? Do high end sports cars have drone with their stock exhausts?
>>
>>15956438
Maybe Magnaflow. Get a whole system, not just the can.
>>
>>15956452
Nothing in particular. I'm just thinking about a few potential future projects. Could be any of the following:
5th gen Mustang GT
1973 Chevelle Malibu
1997 Trans-Am
2002 Camaro

Just trying to get a feel for that market.
>>
File: image.jpg (17KB, 609x157px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17KB, 609x157px
>>15956414
It's an exhaust with hangers you dummy
>>
Just slap on a muffler = ricer exhaust
Any exhaust made to "enhance" sound = ricer exhaust
Catback = ricer exhaust

Full set with headers, pipe, and muffler (optional) made and installed solely for performance reasons, to be paired with a tune for a meaningful HP gain, may not even have a cat = tasteful exhaust
>>
>>15956511
This. Exhaust for no purpose besides sound is rice.

Exhaust for gains tasteful.
>>
>>15956511
>>15956643
What about gains AND sound
>>
>>15956438
Varex
>>
>>15956665
Sound should be a side effect of performance gains.
>>
>>15956859
This is usually recommendation. Also it depends heavily on your car. Find car forums based around your car and find the best exhaust for your model OP
>>
Kakimoto yeahhhhh
>>
>>15956366
Ricer:
>Stupid loud
>Bosozoku styled
>Worse performance
>Larger diameter than needed
>A bunch of added-on exhaust tips
>Sounds like someone is farting in a coffee can or their exhaust is made out of PVC
Tasteful:
>Actually aids in performance
>Preferably weighs less than stock
>Exhaust note relatively similar to stock but a little more refined; added growl/rumble/gurgle without excessive (fart) noise
>>
File: Sharpen3.jpg (826KB, 1920x1285px) Image search: [Google]
Sharpen3.jpg
826KB, 1920x1285px
What does /o/ think about custom exhaust? my last one is rusted pretty badly and just recently got them fully swapped (starting from exhaust manifold) to stainless steel.
>>
>>15956438
Avoid pacesetter.
Unfortunately they do make headers for obscure vehicles, so they are sometimes the only option- but I have never seen one that fits with being modified (sometimes its just a minor grinding of the flange that was 1/4 too long, some have to have a ballpeen hammer taken to it for tube clearance on steering linkage or suspension components, some have to be cut and welded).

Also pypes brand is a sloppy fit and finish.
>>
>>15956665
if you're pursuing sound you're ricing, even if you get performance gains out of it

you might actually be getting fewer gains than you would otherwise unless you have the right taste

>muh exhaust note
i'll never get you fags
>>
>>15958228
what about Walker
>>
>>15958244
There's a reason why high performance sports cars sound "tasteful" stock.
>>
File: 1461975130741.jpg (146KB, 675x450px) Image search: [Google]
1461975130741.jpg
146KB, 675x450px
>>15956366

Resonators? Other than quality stainless and perfect fitment there is no functional difference between my $1,000 exhaust and a $300 ebay one.

Mine sounds pretty nice for a 4cyl, the ebay ones are near Honda level offensive sounding, also not as loud. But that is subjective.
>>
what do resonators even do?
>>
>>15958496
Resonate
>>
>>15958244
That's retarded. Wanting your car to sound nicer isn't ricing. Ricing is wanting to be loud and obnoxious both visibly and audibly while driving a shitbox.
>>
>>15956366
>tasteful
A subtle, reasonable-sounding muffler that may increase output by 2 or 3 HP
>rice
Loud, popping, sputtering pipe sticking out of your car that resembles a rainbow-chrome stretched asshole
>>
>>15957007

rice/10

You don't need (fake) dual exhaust on a sub 200hp na 4banger... It's overweight enough, it doesn't need another 50 lbs of fart can.
>>
>>15956366
Being big, loud, and gaudy is generally a giveaway.
>>
>>15958930
Believe it or not, single exit exhausts for the toyobarus are a lot louder than the dual exits.

Also it weighs a lot less than stock catback so.....
>>
>>15958840
This. A good sound makes or breaks a car.

Performance and sound usually go hand in hand though, as a huge straightpipe linked up to an engine actually capable of using that 3inch pipe with no cat is going to do well....while a shitbox engine won't be utilising the full potential.
>>
File: IMG_1748E.jpg (1MB, 1734x1229px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1748E.jpg
1MB, 1734x1229px
I'm rocking a pretty subtle exhaust, its a Tanabe Medalion 3" catback, and it's quiet as fuck.

I would love to be able to run something slightly louder, but I work night shifts and daily drive the car, plus its kind of nice having peace of mind that you wont draw police attention from miles away, or have everyone staring at you when you pull up to the supermarket to do your shopping.
>>
>>15959243
nice sp1's mate
>>
>>15959278
Thanks m8
>>
>>15958930
The 86 twins actually would benefit from true dual exhaust since they're boxer engine, but I would probably go single exhaust if I were to own one since that means unequal length headers and I love the UEL burble.
>>
Nobody makes systems for my car, any advice on how to make one myself that isn't complete shit?
>>
File: IMG_7470.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7470.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>15956366
OP I have a very shitty video of the exhaust noise of my car.

I personally like it, it's deep and doesn't sound like a fart can.

https://youtu.be/pTh3KTfgx-I

I really get positive compliments and it's not really stupidly loud. It drones a bit but it's bearable.
>>
>>15959404
You can go UEL with dual exit too
>>
File: IMG_7577.jpg (1MB, 3447x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7577.jpg
1MB, 3447x3024px
>>15959448
Oh and this is another one.

https://youtu.be/2XuHQyoJMqw
>>
>>15959470
>>15959448

Dude... it sounds fucking sweet... I'm properly jealous.
>>
>>15959440
Go to an exhaust shop. That's how all of the good ones are made anyway. What matters is the catback exhaust, that will define the tone and note of your car.

What kind of car are we talking about anon?
>>
File: 20160923_180356.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160923_180356.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
This is ricer.
>>
>>15959553
The vatozone adapter to make it look like a duel-out muffler, that is.
>>
>>15959440

Put lots of bends in it. Make it go at least 360 degrees of rotation in the system, if not more. Just slap a couple u-bends in there. That's how you get all the neat cracks and pops as you coast down.
>>
A ricer exhaust sounds like a room full of weed whackers turned on

A nice exhaust has a rich low growl and actually helps airflow.
>>
What exhaust would you recommend for a LS400? I'd like something that's not crazy loud, but you can definitely hear the richness of the 1uzfe
>>
File: IMG_1597.jpg (21KB, 470x313px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1597.jpg
21KB, 470x313px
The Mugen S2000 exhaust is a perfect example of a tasteful exhaust.
>>
>>15956471
Flowmaster

https://youtu.be/o7QGW-77XfM
>>
I love the raspy note of my Mountune exhaust, I just wish it was loud enough for me to hear it from the interior. Maybe I should have gone Borla.
>>
Flat 4s are the only good sounding 4 cylinders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zkm2X3RXCw
>>
>>15956665
It's so pointless. Your exhaust should be cancelling out frequencies that lead to drone and muffling in general. It will be louder regardless if you go up in size.

It's absurd how /k/ loves silencers but for some reason /o/ loves removing them.
>>
As far as BMW goes... quality exhausts are Eisenmann, Corsa, Strömung, Remus, Active Autowerke... what I can think of off the top of my head.

Some people like Billy Boat, never heard it myself.

Meisterschaft started out as a scandal of fake Eisenmanns being sold through the only NA retailer at the time. Perhaps they are better today, they do Ti as well.
>>
>>15956511
ever heard of high flow catalysts and delta flow flowmasters? you don't really need a full set unless you want every last bit of horse. especially if you're driving a car from newer than 2000.

i can't deny that new headers sound fucking sick but you want to save your money for better turbines that don't blow up
>>
>>15959801
I wanted the exact same outcome for my LS400, so I got a catback done up with an x-pipe merge replacing the stock y-pipe merge and first resonator, and deleted the second lot of resonators before the final mufflers, which can really be any sort of decent quality straight through muffler, take your pick. All the piping is 2.25" mild steel, and it sounds godlike,deep at idle and at low rpms, but starts to pick up and scream as you wind it out. No drone and hardly audible inside the car when driving unless you get on the power. Can recommend
>>
>>15960055
Thanks, anon
>>
ricer = designed for appearance/noise
only

good/tasteful is designed primarily for GAINZ BRA, do u even shift?
>>
File: xj7sn9nxk5vqplelsnrd.jpg (75KB, 800x599px) Image search: [Google]
xj7sn9nxk5vqplelsnrd.jpg
75KB, 800x599px
>>15956366

>>15956366

The same thing that separates any rice part from a proper upgrade. An aftermarket exhaust should improve on the oem design (ie: stronger, lighter and/or corrosion resistant materials, larger diameter pipe for improved flow, etc..) If you're not buying the exhaust for any of these reasons, that shit is rice. Even a nice catback can be rice if you're just bolting it up to all the restrictive oem crap for the sound or the bling factor. With the exception of the obvious (Vatozone mufflers, stick-on vents, and the like) parts shouldn't automatically be associated with rice. Rice is a state of mind.
>>
>Exaust
>important

Only on a two stroke
>>
File: IMG_7266.jpg (89KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7266.jpg
89KB, 736x552px
>>15959470
>>15959448
And in Youtube you see a shit ton of 3000GTs with really shitty exhaust systems, even the 3sx ones make the car sound like shit.

Congratulations anon, your car is quite easily one of the best sounding N/A 3000GTs I've heard.
>>
>>15956366
>What separates a ricer exhaust from a tasteful exhaust?
large diameter tips.

That's it. If you have a 4" tip on your 2.5" catback exhaust, it's going to sound like a flatulent kazoo, which is the sound of rice. That gigantic fart cannon muffler is called a fart cannon for a reason, it's the reason behind the hollow farting sound your cousin pablo's honda makes. You can put it on just about any car and it will sound like shit.
>>
>>15956366
I think ricer means something different to everyone.

To me, a ricer exhaust could be anyone of the following:
>drilling holes in stock exhaust to make it louder
>an exhaust made from parts from the local hardware store or autozone equivalent.
>Just plain old cutting off your muffler
>Just having the can on the back

A lot of people will see an N1 style exhaust tip and immediately think ricer, but if the tip is connected to a full t304 or better, 2.5"+ system, it'll still sounds ricey and loud, but at least it's a legit system. I like loud exhausts, especially N1 style - that's just my personal preference though.

If you don't want to be a loud ricer and run something quiet and legal, go with something <2.5" with a decent muffler, headers with a high flow cat. That way you have a good, full system and may see some small gains as well.
>>
>>15960705
>A lot of people will see an N1 style exhaust tip and immediately think ricer,
That's because they sound like shit and look stupid. It doesn't matter if it's a $2,000 full titanium exhaust, it'll still look and sound like rice.

>If you don't want to be a loud ricer and run something quiet and legal, go with something <2.5" with a decent muffler, headers with a high flow cat.
Big systems can be quiet too. My 3" turbo back exhaust is barely louder than stock, and has all the flow I need for 380hp.
>>
>>15956436
An exhaust is a trumpet, the noise it make is directly affected by how the system is designed, much in the same way a trumpet sounds different by altering the airflow in it.

And no not all high performance exhausts sound good, often good sound requires glass packs resonators and the like, which can restrict airflow.
>>
my muffler is 80% now, anyone have recommendations for mufflers or just go with whats on sale at Cambodian Tire?
>>
>>15960850
>80% now,
80% rust now*
>>
File: retouch3.jpg (2MB, 3500x2333px) Image search: [Google]
retouch3.jpg
2MB, 3500x2333px
How's mine /o/?
>>
>>15959140
Straight pipes harm performance.
>>
File: image.jpg (41KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41KB, 443x332px
>>15961800
"no"
>>
>>15961800
>oversimplified
>wrong
>still got dubs
Reeeeee
>>
>>15960864
How long have you owned the GT?
How much has she cost to maintain?
Model year and milage?
>>
My aw11 came with a muffler that says magnaflow on it. Am i unknowingly a ricer?
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.