[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

offroad hits - canadian shield

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: why.jpg (514KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
514KB, 1280x960px
Went into an ATV path and there was this one rocky bump that hit me out of gear. Sounded especially bad but looked to just be a drivetrain differential hit. The small bumps I experienced would just turn to my buddy and say "don't worry bro it's le armoured xbbb".

Anyway, what's a good way to protect against these small hits when offroading? It'll be crucial in the winter when you can't see rocks that appear out of nowhere.
>lift-kit
>armoured front bumper
>winch
>more drivetrain armour?
>offroad tyres
mine are winter right now

Bonus: the bumper got caved in by a rock when reversing and only the small plastic clips on the bumper broke off.It hangs out just fine after 3 hours of hwy driving and might glue it back on until I find a metal bumper winch.

[spoiler]
2010 ranger
4.0 V4, 4WD
offroad rated
sheet metal blocking front drive train
armour (stock) drive train differential
>>
>>15953609
oh and question on clutch burning. how to avoid killing the clutch pad (and that awful greasy smell) when you're stuck in 4-L on a wet patch of dirt?
I try not to do a lot of 2nd gear starts and I normally am worrying about hitting trees more than keeping the revs under 3000 when starting back up.
>>
>>15953609
nice going genius. Ground clearance is your first and last line of defense. You wont need armor if you can clear the obstacle instead of dragging your EVERYTHING over it.
>>
>>15953609
Is that a woman or a man?
>>
>>15954358
looks like Trudeau
>>
File: Try again familia.png (3KB, 243x95px) Image search: [Google]
Try again familia.png
3KB, 243x95px
>>15953609
> 4.0 V4
>>
File: temp.jpg (72KB, 467x446px) Image search: [Google]
temp.jpg
72KB, 467x446px
>>15954465
Whoops. Mistyped there.
4.0L V-6. I don't think any I4s have an AWD capacity.

>>15954313
lift kit it is, then? I thought the front bumper armour would be the last line of defense against rocks and small trees. i remember ripping trees out of the ground with the old, built Jeep YJs

>>15954358
anything you want senpai
>>
>>15955360
>>15955034
how thick do skid panels have to be in order to be actually useful? i'm thinking of drilling on some 5mm titanium sheets on the bottom and maybe double-armouring the back drive with some pieces of titanium for this reason.
>>
You need a lift kit and some bigger tires fambly.

>Ontario
So sorry.
>>
Serves you right for living in Onterrible.
>>
>>15955385
thick enough for your mom to feel it
>>
>>15955633
like if i slapped her on the back with it?
iunno. i'd feel 1mm titanium sheet if it went fast enough. that shit is strong as hell and would probably leave a pretty big mark. it's pretty light and does catch air, tho...
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.