[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Timing Belt

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

File: unnamed.jpg (96KB, 1059x794px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
96KB, 1059x794px
Just bought a '87 civic si for $600. Guy said timing belt had snapped. Knowing its an interference engine I know the valves are probably bent. I have already confirmed the belt is snapped by removing the upper timing cover. Should I take the head off and check the valves or should I just replace the belt, change the oil and see if it has decent compression? I know my chances aren't good, but I figure I should at least try. Pic related is the car I bought on the uHaul I rented to pick it up. (The Trump sticker was there when I bought it.
>>
File: 20160827_004648.png (691KB, 720x644px) Image search: [Google]
20160827_004648.png
691KB, 720x644px
>>15948699
You can usually pull the valve cover snd check. Its easier than the whole head.
>>
>>15948719
How could I check that with the cover off?
>>
Time to import a motor from Japan and strap that in.
If the belt's snapped you can assume the valves took one hell of a beating. Even if it runs, it's not going to go much further.

US spec motors were horrible for imported cars in the 80s/90s, I'll admit that being from Aus means I don't have first-hand knowledge, you're still probably better off importing a motor from overseas than you are buying one in salvage or a reco'd state.
>>
>>15948699
Don't assume the worst. Put a new belt on it and hope for the best. Save yourself the labor.
>>
I know a buddy of mine did a b series swap from a integra. companies sell mounts for this car specifically to fit a b series. If it needs a new motor I am going to go that route.
>>
>>15948741
I was thinking that as well. Taking the head off is going to take hours in the cramped engine bay.
>>
$500 and an a weekend and you would have an ls1 civic.

Might as well pull the head, it isn't to hard and the timing is off already.. as is the timing belt. Check the valves, and pistons. If you have a horoscope you could just look in the sparkplug holes.
>>
>>15948779
>$500

Good luck with that.
>>
>>15948725
If you dont know, you are in over your head
>>
>>15948779
>Horoscope
Jej
>>
>>15948842
I mean I already looked at them. They look fine compared to my other d and b series engines.
>>
>>15948755
You're gunna need a minimum:
mounts
axles
new hubs and wheel bearings
rear bracket
wiring harness
half shaft
ecu
fuse boxes

for the b swap. I hope you have a bucket of money. It's relatively straightforward but it's expensive. I've done it to a similar era CRX (85)
>>
>>15948916
idk why i said "half shaft". I meant the intermediate shaft, you'd need specifically an SK7. I also forgot you'll need cables and hoses and other small shit that all adds up.
>>
>>15948876
Fuck me, boroscope.
>>
>>15948916
My plan would probably be a cheap integra off craigslist. Already includes all the wiring, the ecu and the engine tranny combo. I've seen some pretty beat up ones body wise for around $500 in running condition. Pretty much everything you mentioned I already knew about. This isn't a dd as I already have another car. This will be more of a winter deal if I decide to do the swap with a b series.
>>
>>15948842

What do you expect to see under the valve cover? Usually the valves bend at the neck, and the only part you can see is the tips where the retainers sit.

A leak down test from TDC would be ideal IF you can keep it from turning the engine.... well one end of it. Have a friend help you time it to TDC. Observe the cam lobes on #1 to do this. Apply leak down test.

IF you don't have a leak down tester, throw a belt on (inspect pulleys/tensioner) and see if it has compression. IME, unless it broke on start up (250rpm ish) the motor is done.
>>
>>15949001
Right, but you have to DO the wiring. If you know your way around a multimeter and have no problem with soldering and looking at wiring diagrams, it's really simple. But for a lot of novices (people asking stupid questions about valves) it will be difficult.
>>
>>15949041
I've done wiring before. My knowledge of d series is limited. I've done stuff with b and k series before. I've done a d to d swap that involved a wiring conversion, cutting harnesses and splicing. (Electrical engineer so soldering is not a problem)
>>
>>15949062
Then you're going to be totally fine. My vote is do the swap
>>
>>15948948
I think I might have one buried in my shed. I was looking for it but no dice.
>>
>>15949041
I was leaning there as well. What do you think b20 or b18? Both are easy to come by in my area. I know the cylinder walls in a b20 are a bit thin and in the future I might want to run a small turbo.
>>
>>15948725
Put the timing belt correctly with right timing n shit. If it's bad it'll turn on and turn off due to low compression. Then you need a head rebuilt. If it rubs fine then you're good
>>
>>15949097
If you want to turbo, don't use a B20. Grab a non vtec b18 and boost it. Honestly though, a B20 or GSR or b20v are going to be plenty of power for that car. Feel free to turbo though obviously
>>
I would think about a mini me swap if on a budget.
>>
>>15949123
b18 is probably the route I will go. More potential in my mind. (Safe, non-explosion potential)
>>
>>15949134
Aren't the mounts different though from the d15a3? I think the older b series are different where that would require the same amount of actual effort.
>>
>>15949160
d not b goddamn it
>>
>>15949160
Hmm, is the si you got a D15? I had thought about it in my 91 so which had the D16A6 and it was just a VTEC head swap. Just had to make sure the pistons have valve reliefs.
>>
>>15949160
That car is actually an EW motor, not d series. There are a lot of differences
>>
>>15949174
Can't do that head swap to that motor, period
>>
>>15949185
Ah. It was worth a shot. Then B series is def the route to go.
>>
>>15949176
engine code is a d15a3. says so right on the block. I know almost nothing is compatible though.
>>
>>15949215
Yeah it says its a "D" but its not really a "D"
>>
>>15949215
It's literally not a d. Look on the engine tag by the passenger headlight.

It's an EW motor
>>
File: IMG_0448.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0448.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
>>15949236
I just took this picture. Believe me now?
>>
>>15949084
Fifteen bux you can geddit on ebay
>>
>>15949275
okay, so the tag is different because it's '87, but it's an EW3
>>
>>15949301
Yeah I know. It says its a d series but in reality I am fully aware nothing is compatible between it and newer engines.
>>
>>15949310
ok
>>
>>15948699
I'll sell you a secret.
Just swap the head. That's it. And put a new timing belt. It's that easy.
>>
>>15949939
The d15a3 or EW3 is not worth putting money into at this point
>>
>>15951035
Not the guy you're replying to but I'm sure a head from a pick n pull wouldn't cost too much.

50-80$ perhaps?
>>
just cause the belt snapped on an interference engine, dont mean the valves bent.

you can buy a little probe camera, and look inside the spark plug holes, and see if there is any damage to the piston.

but otherwise replace that belt, and see if she runs
>>
Part in out and save yourself a ton of grief and turn a tidy profit.
>>
>>15948699
Do a leakdown.
>>
>>15948842
Hate answers like this. How do you expect people to learn anything?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enPNb8dxCZk
>>
>>15951643
Not OP but exactly what I thought when I read it.
>>
>>15948699
that sticker justifies the sale
>>
>>15954749
Agreed
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.