[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would cause this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: Blockdamage.jpg (112KB, 681x607px) Image search: [Google]
Blockdamage.jpg
112KB, 681x607px
'78 924
>>
>>15948296
Head gasket failure, allowed compression gases to leak, eroded due to increase pressure from flowing into a small space.
>>
Noob with engines but some mechanical sense here.

What would the symptoms be?

Could this have been avoided if PO had stopped driving immediately?

How expensive would it be to repair? The head has matching damage....

I have already swapped in a long block from a '82 but can't get her running right.... fucking CIS....
>>
>>15948385
Get 'em milled. Not too expensive once they're apart.
>>
>>15948389
This depending on how bad the damage is.

Consider this though, 500 bucks and an afternoon and you could have an ls1 924
>>
>>15948397
This, just get one of those kits that allow you to drop in an LS
A million times more reliable, sounds infinitely better and makes like 4 times the power
>>
File: radio.png (2MB, 1731x673px) Image search: [Google]
radio.png
2MB, 1731x673px
>>15948397
>>15948407
>>
>>15948389
>>15948397
>>15948407
Thanx guys. I'll look in to it. I already swapped in the block from an 82 but in the case of a restore I am saving the og block and head. I just wanted the numbers to match.

Being a noob I wanted to make sure I didn't recreate the damage done on the engine I swapped in. At this point I have just got her to run. Bosch CIS is a bitch when you don't know shit.

The '82 I am willing to experiment with. I have seen some nice LS swaps into 944's but the 924 kits have been discontinued. I mean I paid $400 for the car in the first place.... I'm not paying $5k for a conversion kit... That and I would like to do the fab myself.

Thanx for the replies. I may post some CIS questions soon.
>>
>>15948694
If you're willing to do a swap, also look into Audi inline 5 engines.They should bolt right up to the 924 bellhousing and can make stupid amounts of power if properly built.
>>
>>15948704
The I 5 is my #1 pick. Least modifications needed per research I have done. I have seen the rotary swap done which is.. in idea...nasty. If I do either it will be budget, junk yard, limited resources kind of deal. I do sheet metal fab and I can weld a bit so I think I can make things work but I never delved into mechanics so I don't know internal combustion engines. I am learning every time I wrench though so I think I can make it work.....eventually.
>>
>>15948694
Boy you sound like a fucking idiot.
>Can't work on the hugely documented kjet fuel injection system.
>Wants to fab his own dank conversion kit
>>
>>15948389
You can't do machine work to 924/928/944s, they have a process that impregnated the cylinder liners with Nikasil so you can't even hone them without redoing the process, which would cost more than all the cars are worth except maybe a really nice 944 turbo.
>>
>>15948389
>milling that deep of a gouge

Enjoy your 15.5:1 compression OP
>>
>>15948928
It costs about $1,500 before shipping. Which is easily less than most of these cars are worth, and the values of decent examples are only going up.
It's not even exceptionally expensive considering the maintenance costs of these cars at this age anyway.
>>
>>15948913
Thanks for the encouragement JackWagon.
>>
>>15948928
Thanks for the information... I'll read up on that.
>>
>>15949008
your the retard, not him shitass
>>
>>15949039
Forgot your trip broisshit
>>
>>15949039
you're.....or you are.....
I never implied that I'm an expert. I was asking for expert opinions....
If I were looking for advice on cocksucking....that would have been your queue.
>>
>>15949124
who the fuck is broisshit you nigger
>>
>>15948974
1500 and shipping for what? Reboring and reimpregnating the Nikasil? Then what, you need pistons, bearings, hardware, replace everything else you found broken. What's the average non Turbo car worth? Maybe $3k for a running one, realistic value of a non running one is the scrap price. Just doesn't make any sense to get into heavy machine work on these cars, this is why half the ones you see for sale already have parts cars with them.
>>
>>15948407
>sounds infinitely better
>>
>>15949208
A decent 944 here cost $5k.
And considering maintenance costs on these anyway, it's a case by case whether or not a rebuild is worth it.
>>
>>15949208
What's stopping you from just installing new liners? Are they that cost prohibitive? Is failure like this common on aluminum engines? I do heavy line on diesel engines and can't even imagine combustion gas ever damaging the cylinder block.
>>
>>15949498
Read up on Jaguar AJ V8's. Parent bore aluminum blocks are not good ideas and never have been as long as you don't mind 50k rebuild intervals.
>>
>>15949498
You can, but the liners are even more expensive. This isn't because it's aluminum, it's because they used a process that hardened the cylinder liners with something called Nikasil. It worked well on race cars, but they found out later that it would break down over time with normal gasoline.
>>
engine combustion :^)
>>
>>15948943
I will, thank you
>>
>>15949550
>they found out later that it would break down over time with normal gasoline.
Top Tier gasoline was supposed to have limits on how much sulfur the gas had. So even the more stringent sulfur limits of top tier weren't enough to protect Nikasil coatings?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikasil
>>
>>15949942
No idea, I'm sure it had a lot to do with how the coating is applied too. I've worked on later 308s which had Nikasil with 200k miles and it's fine while the early 308s had steel liners and sometimes failed, but the Porsches, Jaguars, and 840i were failing even in warranty.
>>
>>15948296
Just sell it and buy a 944
>>
>>15949942

From what I heard the big difference is whether one drove longer or shorter runs, apparantely those who only did long trips and allowed the engine to reach operating temp never had any problems with the coating corroding.
>>
>>15950113
Had to have my TL1000S redone a few years back.
Nikasil bloody coating. Can't remember what I did when I got the stroker and piston kit if it had that too.
>>
>>15949498
>>15949550
The 924 has a cast-iron block
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.