[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the pros and cons of diesels?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 10

File: isuzu trooper 4567856789 truck.jpg (64KB, 736x544px) Image search: [Google]
isuzu trooper 4567856789 truck.jpg
64KB, 736x544px
What are the pros and cons of diesels?
>>
>>15943977
>pros
None
>cons
Less power
More weight
Smells like ass
Harder to work on
More expensive fuel
Sounds stupid
Diesel a shit
>>
>>15943989
Off fuck off with that biased bullshit most of that is flat out wrong
>>
>>15943989
>Less power
More torque
>More weight
Better built motor due to higher compression
>Smells like ass
Yea.... It's an acquired smell.
>Harder to work on
Bullshit. You have no ignition system to maintain/service
>More expensive fuel
FAR better fuel economy
>Sounds stupid
It can be louder depending on the motor, but "stupid" is subjective
>Diesel a shit
No, it's not. As someone who owns both gas and oil burners, they are just different.
>>
>>15943977
I heard that if you leave them set for over a few days it's really bad for them is that true?
>>
>>15944538
Youre never suppose to shut them off.
It takes as much fuel as a 747 jet uses from a flight from NY to Paris to start a diesel.
>>
good mpg's as long as you're not hooning it, mpg's will drop to petrol engine numbers

better built engines, yes, but if something breaks its fuckin expensive to repair.

smelly fuel is smelly, even worse if you et an air lock and you have to suck some through.

sound stupid? really? modern TDi's aren't much louder than a petrol engine.

cant leave them for a few days? i left one for 6 months, started on 4th attempt, didn't even drain the battery much.

as for not shutting them down, really no need to, they can run and run and use hardly any fuel at tick over, but they do not use copious amounts of fuel to start up, thats just daft.
>>
>>15944561
>Youre never suppose to shut them off.
not even if you leave it set for like a year?
>>
>>15944561
then how come i see people shut them off all the time?
>>
>>15944609
wouldn't they be really good to camp out in then? if they use no fuel they would be a really good source of power
>>
>>15944614
i left one in a carpark from October till March and it was fine.

>>15944621
i used to start my TDi Mondeo at the start f a 12 hour shift and not turn it off till i was fueling up at the end, 75% of that shift would be spent sitting doing nothing on an airport taxi rank. heater on all night errynight if i felt like it during the winter months, maybe used a gallon more than mid summer
>>
>>15943977

Have diesel Hilux so from first hand experience:

Pro:
- around 30-40% lower fuel consumption
- usable power even at idle

Cons:
- no power
- very narrow and inverted power band
- horrible vibrations
- sounds like shit
- pump/injectors last much shorter than gas ones but are 5-10x the price

If fuel is not expensive where you live don't do it.
>>
>>15944561
that seems really really annoying what if i hate leaving things running? seems like a dealbreaker to me
>>
>>15943977
Depends which diesel you're talking about...

Older, non turbo, basic diesels are slow as fuck but generally reliable and easy to work on.

Newer, common rail turbo diesels are quick, smooth, but over complicated and often expensive to repair.

In terms of modern diesels, the 'diesel advantage' is less and less a thing, particularly if you don't do longer journey's as that's where they excel.

If you aren't a motorway warrior (car), or don't want the torque for off-road (truck) then don't bother, stick with petrol.

Difference in fuel price is minimal in most places these days, although diesel still more expensive.

I prefer turbo diesel power delivery, but only travel 20 miles to work and back, so I stick with a petrol, cos fuck DPFs and all that shit.
>>
>>15944648
isn't diesel way better for towing and offroad stuff?
>>
Everyone in my family drives a diesel.

The "cons" like smell, engine noise and narrow power have never bothered me.

Also, after 30 years of dieseling and dozens of cars, none of us have ever actually had any engine trouble.
>>
>>15944436
Keep burning your peanut oil Rudolph, we use only the highest refined fuels here, you can take your dirty business elsewhere.
>>
>>15943977
Pic related is a terrible example of a turbo diesel. 4JJ1 is the only isuzu light diesel worth owning
>>
Diesels have more torque, so you can have 5 people in your car and still have nice dynamic driving
>>
I have a 4 banger bi-turbo BMW diesel. Would prefer a I6 petrol but the main reason i got the diesel is money

i got about 7l/100km (33mpg). On highway cruising 5l/100km (47mpg) and diesel is about 10 % cheaper here in germany. I drive about 30.000km a year...

I think theres nothing else i get 204hp with this fuel economy

>>15943989
>Less power
not really
>More weight
yeah
>Smells like ass
nope, not modern
>Harder to work on
wut
>More expensive fuel
not in germany
>Sounds stupid
i dont think so. I prefer the sound of I6 but the biturbo sounds nice too. Because you have low rpms the engine isnt crying like a little bitch/baby and you can hear the trubus sucking louder than your mum
>>
>>15944991
Hahaha no
Isuzu makes the best diesels
>>
Well, it's really the same as a petrol except for where you have the power and torque.
Unless you're doing off-road or hauling heavy shit, there's not really any reason to get a diesel.

Modern diesels are good, but expensive if something goes wrong. Exhaust smells like ass.
Older diesels are reliable but slow, and has literally no power unless you got a turbo. Exhaust smells divine, though. Almost as good as a two-stroke.

In Norway diesel is often up to 30% cheaper than petrol too, which makes diesels rather attractive.
>>
>>15945205
>off-road
what makes them better for off road?
>>
>>15945219
A lot of torque in low-RPM situations compared to petrol engines. Makes it easier to climb difficult terrain or get out of a sticky situation without revving to 3k RPM or burning your clutch.
True, a proper petrol engine could probably do the same but why bother when diesels do it better, you know?
>>
>>15943977
Only good answer OP

>pros
torque
better fuel economy
holds mileage better if serviced
diesel fuel is cheaper than gas (in EU)

>cons
less snappy response
sounds terrible
smells not as cool as petrol
more expensive upon purchase
more expensive to service expecially if misused
if you dont do long trips and use if often for short trips, you may have problems with your DPF and EGR, these are engines meant to run for 30-40 mins a trip optimally

_______

tl;dr
you do many or few small trips, doesnt matter if its a total 100km a day, get petrol engine

you do few long trips a day (think work commute, 25-30 min runs), get diesel

if its a newer car with a newer engine, you most likely are fine with petrol (new petrol engines hit 20-22 km/l, new diesels 26-28km/l, negligible difference)
>>
>>15945253
Or you get rid of the EGR and DPF, because it's shit.
>>
>>15945253
Ever heard a V8 turbo diesel with a straight through? Shits on the petrol note every time, with pickups/utes anyway.

>less snappy response
At low end I've found most modern TD's more responsive

Everything else though is spot on. Especially about the EGR, the short trips will build up soot all through the inlets/EGR valve quickly and that will further fuck your engine's responsiveness
>>
>>15945263
some shops charge 300€ to get rid of the EGR alone vie ECU, its a cost you gotta consider

though its a sound investment to raise the lifespan of the engine

bear in mind though, fucking with eco stuff is penal (at least here), so if you get caught with either disabled you'll be in for deep shit
>>
>>15945219
Diesels are also far easier to make suitable for water crossings and dusty/muddy conditions. Being able to start the diesel up and the remove the battery and use it for something else has helped on a few very remote adventures
>>
>>15945272
>Ever heard a V8 turbo diesel with a straight through? Shits on the petrol note every time, with pickups/utes anyway.

If you're a redneck maybe.
>>
>>15945282
>Diesels are also far easier to make suitable for water crossings and dusty/muddy conditions
so it's way better for outdoors shit and reliability?
is the thing about how your never supposed to turn them off just a stupid meme? that's the only thing i got on them
>>
>>15943977
>pros
They're amazing, truly the future of ICEs

>cons
no
>>
>>15943977

I'm in the market for a Panhard VBR

where do i find french military surplus combat vehicles?
>>
>>15943977
>Pros
None.
>Cons
Everything is wrong about diesels.
>>
>>15945275
Cost of fucking with the ECU depends on who does it, really. 300 eurodollars to almost double your engines lifespan is worth it in my opinion.
Might even get rid of a few issues. Someone I know had their car go into limp mode at least once a week. Tuner shop turned off the EGR and gave it a quick tune. Car has never been better and has never gone into limp mode again.

As long as there's no fault codes out and running, or visibly bad work done on the EGR system, it shouldn't be detected at all by shops or those yearly/bi-yearly checkups.
>>
File: IMG_1598.jpg (19KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1598.jpg
19KB, 200x200px
>>15945304
Well like most cars the less often you start and stop it the longer it will last. You've probably heard it before but look at taxi's that run almost constantly for 3-500,000km's, the motors are in better condition than regular use motors with the same km's. Regular servicing helps too though.

As other anon said the EGR/DPF systems don't work properly when the motor is frequently on/off and that will shorten engine life too as airflow is restricted and soot can start being sucked through

>>15945288
The level of sunburn on my neck has nothing to do with it
>>
File: smiley.jpg (16KB, 435x312px) Image search: [Google]
smiley.jpg
16KB, 435x312px
>>15945320
>>15945325
>/o/ is a quality board
>>
>>15945304
>is the thing about how your never supposed to turn them off just a stupid meme?
If a "meme" can be started and contained solely in one thread (ie; this one), then yes. It is a meme. Who ever told you that is either full of shit, or wears their pants on their head.
>>
>>15945325
T. Salty petrol owner who wishes he had the sweet versatility and delicious torque of a diesel
>>
>>15943977
>Pros
Torque

>Cons
Maintenance costs
Fuel costs depending on the week
Emissions regs for newer diesels are getting to be shit
Horsepower
Gelling fuel when it's cold out
>>
>>15943977

pros

>torque/towing
>throw more fuel and air, you can make crazy horsepower with proper tuning

cons

>older ones are noisy
>take for fucking ever to warm up in winter
>maintenance
>if it runs away on you from bad turbos/sucking in sour gas/whatever else, have fun choking the thing

i live in north Canada and drive a gas 6.0L 3/4 ton Silverado because diesels here in -40c simply take far too long to warm up. guys in the oilfield with Allison transmissions have to wait 30 minutes for the truck to warm up because Allison wont go into gear in winter if its crazy cold

only decent thing is here you dont need any emissions including cats so when you buy a diesel, out goes the DEF system, EGR, etc. my mom has a diesel Smart car. only 80,000km and from the temperature cycles here the EGR fucked up at only 70,000km. bypassed that son of a bitch today

>>15945282

that in my prior years of being a mechanic and working on many trucks i have never heard of. i have driven my gasoline trucks up to the hood in water and through crazy blizzards/storms and never had an issue. no matter what the engine, if it sucks in water its gonna dicker

i saw it once in my years in the trade, about 5 years ago some guy in a Caravan drove through 5 feet of water and the engine sucked in water and every engine seal started pissing oil. thats it
>>
File: Penn and Teller Trash Man.jpg (31KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
Penn and Teller Trash Man.jpg
31KB, 300x400px
>>15945444
>not leaving your diesel on all winter
>>
>>15945444
For real? I've had to pull a fair few petrol utes out of the bush after they tried water crossings up to windscreen, and they had snorkels and sealed up airboxes. Water just seems to get in somewhere else. Maybe I've just been misinformed, and unlucky in my experience with petrols

The only diesels I've had to tow have been bogged or had snapped axles, etc.
>>
File: 2.jpg (41KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
41KB, 640x480px
nodern diesels:
>fucking fast
>VNT turbos are fucking amazing
>uses next to no fuel
>will implode around 150-250k due to emissions magic, hard working injectors, and clogged injector pumps

old diesels
>no power
>loud as fuck
>SOOTY
>can last forever if well serviced
>also uses minimal fuel

If it's a buying choice, buy diesel and sell it before 15 years/200km. Petrol has no torque and hoovers up fuel.
>>
File: IMG_1346.jpg (33KB, 372x339px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1346.jpg
33KB, 372x339px
>>15945519
>loud as fuxk
>thinks sounding like a semi is a bad thing
>>
>>15945519
Nah, my buying choice is to buy a diesel, delete or bypass the emissions crap, and keep it forever.
>>
>>15945535
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAngJRVboaE

sounds great anon!
>>
>>15945682
When do you ever hear the car
>>
>>15945616
Good man.
>>
used diesel trucks are overpriced cause stupid faggots like to buy them and not even use them for towing/hauling shit

And when they go to sell them they know an idiot is going to spend $16,000 on a 25 year old truck with the minimalist options
>>
>>15943989
>Tree hugger detected
>>
>>15943989
>More expensive fuel
Diesel is 5% cheaper than 95RON petrol here
>>
>>15943977
>Cons
- Can be fueled with a wider set of fuels, including home processed recycled oil. This makes it more difficult to tax.
- Diesel personal transportation can't be controlled like petrol can. When we go under martial law and the gov't needs to restrict the
mobility of the population, one call to the refiners can shut down petrol production. Commerce can continue, because it is diesel powered. Driving diesel cars allows the population to bypass this and so it has been discouraged in the USA.
>>
>>15944617
Diesels never truly shut off. They go into a low power hibernation mode
>>
>>15944927
Fine then... maybe I will.
Can I have your used fry grease though?
>>
>>15945986
>Driving diesel cars allows the population to bypass this and so it has been discouraged in the USA.
I'd question it if it didn't make so much sense.
>>
File: 07106145.jpg (57KB, 676x686px) Image search: [Google]
07106145.jpg
57KB, 676x686px
>>15945986

holy fuck you're right
>>
>>15945150
Oh, because 250D, 250TD, 300D and 300TD from Mercedes W124 are fucking shit. They run 1 million kilometers and are still going...

>Inb4:Isuzu makes best diesels
>>
>>15945150
>japs
>making good diesels
>at all
lmfao
>>
>>15946876
Not very wise, are you?
>>
>>15946920
Best automotive diesels are european. End of.
>>
File: 1475591235407.jpg (92KB, 400x402px) Image search: [Google]
1475591235407.jpg
92KB, 400x402px
>>15947009

Nope.

American diesels are bast.
>>
>>15946876
>>15946431
Isuzu makes the best diesels
>>
>>15947009
>driving a 70hp punto makes me an expert on diesel engines
>>
If you plan on hauling and pulling heavy loads and really using a truck for work id go with a Cummins or durmax

If your gonna use a truck as a daily driver and have it on the off chance you may need to pull a trailer or fire wood or somthing you mine as well get a gas job,

A diesel motor ads about 10 grand on the price of the truck that is most likely close to 30,000 already with out the motor

Diesel get better gas mileage and last much longer but the upkeep and parts are far more expensive then for gas vehicles, hell now you need that def fuel shit in the newer diesels,

So it really comes down to how often you plan on using the truck for the intended purpose of pull or hauling heavy loads
>>
If you live somewhere that gets a cold winter don't count on it starting at all...
>>
>>15944991
Bullshit. The 4JGs are fantastic stout little truck motors.
The 4BDs that are put into everything are fantastic too.
>>
>>15947048
>probably driving chevy truck with Cummins engine
>cleary americanfag and gmfag
>didnt drive any other car with diesel engine
>this type of /o/ faggot

>Inb4:american diesels
>>
>>15944991
Leave it to an Aussie to ruin the thread.
>>
File: 1442217704491.jpg (29KB, 450x351px) Image search: [Google]
1442217704491.jpg
29KB, 450x351px
>>15950659
>what are glow plugs
>what is freeze resistant diesel mixture
>what is engine block heater

retard.
>>
>sounds like shit
but i think it sounds orgasmic
>More expensive fuel
not in canada
>Harder to work on
wut
>>
>>15947009
>Best automotive diesels are european
that's a weird way to spell cummins
>>
>>15951403
chevy only makes dirtymax trucks ya fuck
>>
>>15943977
Either europoors or truckfags
>>
>>15945444
>take far too long to warm up
just plug them in lad
>>
>>15952996
Yeah, I just plug it in if it's gonna go below freezing. Then just let it go through the normal glow plug cycle and start it up like normal. 2-3 minutes warming up and then I'm off.
>>
>>15952996
>>15955736

Kinda hard to plug your truck in when you're in the bush, unless you run a generator...
>>
>>15944720
Yes because people bitching about now power don't understand anything except seeing hp numbers on jalopnik. They have an autistic amount of torque. That's why 12l tractor trailer motors only make around 600hp yet they can tow 40 tons, because their torque numbers are ridiculous.
>>
>>15955660
Even then, the big V8 dirtymax is developed by a GM funded Japanese company, and the little midsize four cylinder is an Italian motor.
>>
>>15946431
>1 million KM Greek diesel taxi
> owner has 3 engines so he can hot swap them when they need a rebuild.

Excessive maintenance can extend the life of your equipment at the cost of higher lifecycle costs, yes.
>>
>>15956125
GM owns both of those companies, and the Duramax development team was US based.
>>
>>15943977
>Pros
Good economy especially under load
Durable
Lots of torque
> Cons
Fuel system parts $$$$
Emissions control bullshit
NVH
Weight
Slow
Can smell

I love my diesels.
>>
Torque comes from the turbos, not from the diesel

You dumb cucks
>>
>>15943977
Less horsepower more torque. Not a racing motor but a pulling motor

Totally gnarly sound at idle

Old diesels like the old 12 valve are fucking cool because the exhaust smells awesome and nowadays def fluid makes that shit smell sour as fuark

Did I mention you can fit like 30 fat bitches in the back. And you can still get 25 mpg
>>
>>15947009
>End of
Because you said so?

No.
>>
They were good when they were mechanical.

The new ones don't have any of the "indestructible" attributes of the old ones.
>>
>>15943989
>idiot says more expensive fuel

>not if you run the red stuff, buddy-boo
>>
>>15947048
>America is best
Ricky is Canadian
>>
File: Teuchter-wagons-7.jpg (303KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Teuchter-wagons-7.jpg
303KB, 960x1280px
170bhp VAGS cars are good for a hoon cos you have enough torque to scramble it around mid skid :DDD

the 306 d-turb is also a 10/10 fucking about car
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.