[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Importing a car into Cali

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

Does anyone actually know how this works. All google searches come up to shitty blog sites with no real information.

How does the 25 year law work? Can i pick a 180sx from 90-91 and bring it in?

I assume regardless of 25 year or w/e, i still have to smog since it's newer than 1975.
>>
>>15922759

i believe as long as its 25 years old you do not have to smog the car.
>>
>>15922759
It's a bit sketchy, usally to get that done you would have to know someone or pay out the ass to get it to "pass" some shops claim that they can modify the car to make it legal, but it would be very expensive.
>>
>>15922759
Here's the real answer. I've talked to IVI and CARB to make sure that I have the right answer here.

Before you buy, you need to call G&K/CEE. They are the only lab certified by the state for direct import cars. NCDL in NorCal used to do it as well but they stopped doing it and only do CARB EO numbers now. They have to issue a certificate of conformance before you are allowed to register the car in California. Regarding modified cars, I was told that it is possible but the conformance will be done on a time and parts basis.

For the R32 GT-R completely stock and no issues, the cost is 10k USD and 2-3 months. It's expensive because they need to add extra catalytic converters and the dyno tests alone mean you're looking at about 3000-4000 dollars at market rate assuming you only need an initial test + verification. Once you pay shop rates and part costs for the extra catalytic converters and some timing modifications here and there, you're going to be in the 5000 dollar range easily. The rest is partially state-sponsored go fuck yourself and just in case your car doesn't pass on the first try.

Once you receive the certificate of conformance you smog every 2 years like normal. Registration is well defined here. OBD1 cars get the dyno + tail sniffer as well as visual inspection, the BAR label will list the relevant emissions control systems and the smog tech will check to see that they are present.

The other route is to move out of state. You must establish residency out of California and register the car out of state for 1 full year. This allows you to immediately import with no certificate of conformance but I believe a smog referee is going to check to make sure things are stock. I don't know as much about this route, talk to CARB about it. Unless you were planning on doing this anyways it's going to be just as expensive as the direct import route.

You don't have to "know someone", there is a clear regulatory framework here.
>>
>>15922759
>nigga doesnt even know his smog laws
Its 72 and older that dont nees smog numbnuts
>>
>>15922759
>>15923869
Cali does not have the 25 year rule. Cars 1975 and older do not need smog
>>
>>15924005
forgot link
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/smogfaq
>>
>>15924005
This is a Cali rule for sure. You will never be able to not smog your car if it was made after 1975 or so. CARB has been given free rein to do whatever it takes to keep Los Angeles from turning into Beijing so the entire state has to play by the same rules as far as emissions goes. No 25 year exemption is part of it, after a certain age cars are subject to enhanced smog testing under the STAR program to test for additional types of emissions.
>>
>>15923823

^ This guy looked up his shit for that one specific car, missed the basics of why it's a shit show.

It's because the engine was never sold in the U.S. HOWEVER R32's did get certified for a brief time (thanks Motorex or whoever the fuck it was).

Prices drop significantly if the powertrain is something already approved and in the system like say a BMW E30 touring with a 325i powertrain, but you're still stuck doing the $3k-$4k dyno testing down in SoCal (fuck you if you live up North). I was looking into it but like half the ones that are up for sale here are 320i which was never sold here so you need to do an engine swap to meet emissions.

As far as I can tell if the engine was never sold here Cali will say 'go fuck yourself', to my knowledge there is zero way to get a California legal SR20 powered car.

Do some more googling of actual .gov sites about engine swaps and such, there's phone numbers to call BAR and CARB, quality blog posts will help you with the path to take to get shit done.
>>
>>15924105
That doesn't even make sense. G&K will do a Silvia with SR20 if you want it. CARB is not looking for a specific engine, their criteria is almost entirely what your CO/HC/NOx emissions are in the FTP-75 test.
>>
>>15924153
Link? I've never managed to find anyone with an emissions legal SR20.
>>
>>15924175
http://www.importavehicle.info/2013/04/direct-import-vehicles-1975-or-newer.html

He doesn't outright say it here but it's pretty clear what they're testing considering you spend 1.5k a pop at minimum to do the FTP emissions testing. Porsche 959 was never certified in California either.

The trouble is that it is expensive as fuck to get direct import cars in state. Insanely, incredibly expensive. Very few people are willing to buy a car for 10k in Japan and then spend another 15k to legalize it for California.

If you don't believe me, call G&K during the week and ask for George if they would be willing to issue a certificate of conformance for a direct import S13 Silvia with SR20DET.
>>
it's a MUCH better idea to try and find a car that's already been imported. skip the import fees and hassles and uncertainties. also depends on what car you're looking for

otherwise importing from canada would be cheaper and easier. they have fuckin r34 skylines right above us man.
>>
>>15924318
There are almost no cars already imported in state. California is special and almost no one is willing to pay for legal import.
>>
>>15925067

The only "illegal" cars i see in cali are ones where the owner says that it is legally imported but he can help you with the registration process because it's "easy".
>>
>>15926074
I wouldn't touch those with a long pole. If they can't show you a BAR label and certificate of conformance you're never going to get the title and you certainly won't be able to register it.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.