[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Generic thin car name?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (245KB, 1260x845px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
245KB, 1260x845px
Is there a generic name for the kind of car that only seats one person wide? (A second passenger would sit in back, not to the left or right of the driver.) Tango and Elio are recent examples, but there have been many of these.

And why is this form not very popular? Many people rarely drive with others in the car.
>>
Non American
>>
in the industry it's usually called "donkey cab". I think it refers to the style of cart a donkey would pull vs a horse carriage like the original motor cars were designed around
>>
>And why is this form not very popular? Many people rarely drive with others in the car.
Because people who live alone and never have any reason to drive somebody else prefer to take public transportation. The demographic that could be interested in this largely lives in the city where having your own car costs a lot and isn't very practical in the first place.
>>
File: 1.jpg (114KB, 600x398px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
114KB, 600x398px
>>15918388
this lambo is center-drive but it's not really "thin" though.

i really wish that there would be an affordable sports coupe with a center-drive option someday. it would feel so nice to be able to perceive equally while driving
>>
Tandem?
Fighter jet?
>>
>>15918388
QTDDTOT is what you're looking for
>>
> Donkey cab

Well of course no one is going to buy it if it is called that!

> Because people who live alone and never have any reason to drive somebody else prefer to take public transportation. The demographic that could be interested in this largely lives in the city where having your own car costs a lot and isn't very practical in the first place.

I disagree. Suburbia is all about the car, and you can stand on a bridge and see how rare it is to see anyone in the passenger seat. I think the low cost angle is encouraging to the Elio. The Tango on the other hand just looks ridiculous.
>>
>>15919240
Yes, suburbia is all about the car, but that's not where single people live.
>>
>>15919249

Center drive cars seat 2, and putting the woman in back helps spread chauvinism.
>>
>>15918388
>And why is this form not very popular?
Safety.

Pretty much guarantees someone will die if you get t-boned by anything larger than a smart car
>>
>>15919375
why? you could have a wider donkey cab with better crumple zones than the elio
>>
Tandem.
>>
>>15919661
then it's just wasted space. you can build the crumple zones into a traditional sedan/coupe without having to add in unused extra space

A wide ass donkey cab would serve no useful puropse
>>
>>15919674
>A wide ass donkey cab would serve no useful puropse

it could still be like 2/3 as wide as a normal car though, if it became more common you could have narrower lanes for example
>>
>>15919701
again, it would be less useful, you are sacrificing a real trunk for pointlessly bloated sides that are only in the design to keep you from getting killed.

Yeah, you could get narrower lanes if you wanted to repave all the highways in the world, but the design is still less efficient
>>
>>15919714
maybe they really just need to bring back bench seats.
>>
amerifats are asleep, post donkey cabs
>>
File: renault-twizy-f1-action-2.jpg (221KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
renault-twizy-f1-action-2.jpg
221KB, 1200x800px
>>
>>15921939
delet this
>>
File: nissan_weave_dc_2013.jpg (150KB, 1440x972px) Image search: [Google]
nissan_weave_dc_2013.jpg
150KB, 1440x972px
>>
>>15921939
looks awesome in a twisted sense, like if it came from a dystopian future
>>
File: elio.jpg (814KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
elio.jpg
814KB, 1920x1080px
I wonder if these will ever be released. It seems like an investor scam, but they've done all the engineering work in earnest, and have a facility. Too many man hours involved for it to be a simple investor scam.

It would be cool to see one of these with a turbo i4 dropped in place. I imagine it'd be one hell of a ride if it could 0-60 in 5 second instead of 10~
>>
>>15924371
i work with a big supplier who has a contract for some of their drivetrain work, so if it's a scam it's a pretty ballsy and in depth scam
>>
>>15924371
Do you even know what an actual scam looks like? Stop throwing "scam" around like a buzzword.
>>
>>15924416
madoff was a scam; they come in many forms
>>
File: Sandia-cooler.jpg (318KB, 766x574px) Image search: [Google]
Sandia-cooler.jpg
318KB, 766x574px
>>15924416
Investor scams come in all shapes and sizes.
Whether they're targeting government grant money, VC funding, or private parties for backing.
>>
>>15918388
it is called a trike with a roof.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.