[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cars: fragile untouchable soda cans

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: 20160427_201129.jpg (629KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160427_201129.jpg
629KB, 2048x1152px
Why the fuck are cars so fragile, so expensive to repair bodywork?

They're basically giant $40,000+ soda cans that must float through the universe not touching anything. Even some fucking lowly bushes will scratch it, my fingernail will scratch the doorhandle area, rings, whatever.

If you happen to touch another object, not even because you're a bad driver, but if someone else scrapes your car at a lowly speed of 5 mph, the bodywork will easily >$1,000 (for an entry level luxury car--which is actually super common/attainable like Gucci purses every ghetto queen owns).

What the fuck? Why aren't cars made of special rubber/polymer? They can satisfy all the safety pedestrian-cushioning laws that way too.

I'm fucking full out autism raging and OCD raging because I take extreme narcissistic pride in maintaining my shit perfectly and it's basically impossible to do that in a car without having a goddamn anxiety attack anytime another driver gets within 2 feet of you. Anytime you park your car someone can ding it, scratch it, etc.

Cars can never be perfect, or back to perfect! Bought a fucking $60K new car from the dealership and it came with minor scratches, the dealer took me to their prep area and had some guy buff it but it still didn't come out.

WHY THE FUCK ARE CARS SO STUPID/IMPRACTICAL?!?!?!?!?
>>
I hit a pukeko yesterday morning at 100km/h as it flew infront of my van and dented just above my bullbar ):
>>
>>15915790
1) About fragile paint, blame muh environmental regulations that force to use water based paints. That's also why you have more orange peel than before.
2) Bumpers are made so that at very low speed (like during parking) they can absorb hits. At higher speeds the body absorbs the impact and saves your life. It just sucks during moderate fender benders.
>>
>Bought a fucking $60K new car

textbook error
>>
>>15915831
why no one is making plastic body panel that is not structurally important?
>>
>>15915790
Actually be that obsessed with something that gets your from point A to point B. Just make sure the mechanicals are good, famalam.
>>
>>15915790

>Cars can never be perfect, or back to perfect! Bought a fucking $60K new car from the dealership and it came with minor scratches, the dealer took me to their prep area and had some guy buff it but it still didn't come out.

A daily is never going to stay showroom perfect, not unless you plan on legit buffing it every 3 months and respraying it every 3-5 years.

Normal cars aren't meant to be perfect. They're going to get scratched, dented, dinged, all that and more. The best you can do is address the bigger damage once a year or so and try to avoid fucking it up more when you can.

If you want a perfect car, just don't drive it. That's why most show cars get around in an enclosed trailer....
>>
Note that everything you want can in fact be obtained.

You can indeed build a car that can take a few blows with almost no damage, never rust, and so on.

You would just need to pay out of your ass for a car that would not be able to get above 80mph because it is so heavy.

They make cars out of flimsy materials because for some reason everybody expects their car to zoom zoom and be super inexpensive. Same reason they make the speedo go to like 160mph on every car nowadays.
>>
>>15915903
They do, e.g. Corvette but it's for weight reduction and doesn't respond any better to minor impacts.

>>15915790
If you want a vehicle that can play bumpercars with little to no damage get an old steel bumpered body-on-frame car from the 50s they're tanks just don't expect to get into a highway speed crash and live.

This makes me ponder why nobody makes aftermarket heavy steel fenders and bumper covers. Probably it would be in violation of safety regulations.
>>
>>15915799
Aussie as fuck post.
>>
>>15915790
>Anxiety attack
Fucking kys pussy
>>
>>15916706
Cars don't have to rust. If they're made of aluminum body panels and the steel is ferritic nitrocarburized it wouldn't rust at all. Glock and a bunch of other gun companies have been doing this stuff en masse for a very long time now because guns have to survive things like salt spray from naval use.

OEMs are just cheap and don't want to bother because current technology is good enough to avoid rust until the warranty runs out.
>>
>>15915790
Poor baby, did you scrape your car while parking again?
>>
>>15915790
Blame all the nigger environmentalist and the current water based paints.

BRAND NEW fucking $30,000 car has orange peel straight from the factory

a FUCKING cat jump on the roof and leaves scratches

Go through ONE touch car wash, end up with paint scratches.

walk past the car carrying shit, brush up against it with your jackets zipper, leave a deep scratch.

brand new 10k miles car, and it has MORE rock chips on it than my 180k 25 year old car.
>>
File: IMAG1212.jpg (2MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1212.jpg
2MB, 2688x1520px
this is exactly why I take pleasure in driving a shitbox I don't have to worry about
>>
File: 1465533199325.jpg (96KB, 999x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1465533199325.jpg
96KB, 999x1500px
Which car manufacturers have the best paint then? What can we do to protect the paint of our new cars? Clear wrap?
>>
>>15921257
Better question
How do I make my own non water based paint
>>
>>15921276
Go to store
Buy oil based paint
/done

Also those plastic door panels turn into giant razor blades in a crash and will slice your leg to the bone. Metal crushes and dents for more than shock absorption in terms of safety.

t. EMT
>>
>>15915831
This.
I rather have a car that breaks on impact than a car that breaks me on impact.
Embrace crumble zones, because it only* punish stupid drivers.

*Drivers that are good can sometimes fall victim to stupid drivers, insurance sold separately.
>>
>>15921276
Purchase tractor enamel
>>
>tfw I have an unkillable old steel body volvo
>cost me $1000
>got rear ended about a year ago
>other car was a newer toyota; airbags deployed, rad leaking hood bent
>my car had a shit load of paint rub all over (white car) and I needed to straighten out the rear bumper and new license plate
>was fine, runs and drives with maximum comfy all day

new cars are shit you just have to find a good old car that hasn't gone to shit.
>>
>scratch ur car

>need to paint because paint protects metal

ok

>need to pay some faget to exactly match the colour because otherwise ???? ?????? ???? ??????

What is wrong with you just piant your car

everyone knows that it's a collection of fabricated parts
>>
>>15915790
If you can't afford to wreak it you can't afford to drive it.
>>
File: Volvo.webm (2MB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
Volvo.webm
2MB, 500x282px
>>15922323

That's not because the car is old that's because Volvos are literally indestructible.
>>
>>15915790
>my fingernail will scratch the doorhandle area, rings, whatever.
sounds like you bought a car made of a material that was less hard than your finger nail
>>
>>15922323
They don't make them out of steel anymore because of weight, lighter cars get better mileage
>>
>>15923229
pretty sure the rear is not a crumple zone
>>
>>15923229
Crumple_zones.webm
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.