[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

80s Econolines

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: XaAH5qp[1].png (491KB, 525x385px) Image search: [Google]
XaAH5qp[1].png
491KB, 525x385px
Alright, so I've been on the hunt for a good 'Van Life' vehicle. Yesterday I stumbled upon this 1985 E150. Probably gonna take a look at it this weekend and possibly purchase it for less than a couple grand.

Anybody have any experience in vans like it? Oh, and any particular parts or flaws to look for in models like this one?
>>
my cousin had an 86 chevy with 395k, then the valve seals blew. If youre looking at a conversion top, they almost always leak. engines are bulletproof but trannys can go bad if theyve sat
>>
>>15905709
460 means 7mpg whether empty or towing the more vans on a giant trailer.

Otherwise good except if it's conversion vanned with a bunch of disco shit in which case I've seen the electric be a fucking nightmare
>>
>>15905709
yay pedovans!
>>
File: 69 Supervan.jpg (35KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
69 Supervan.jpg
35KB, 600x450px
>>15905709
As cool as those vans are, you're much better off getting something newer, even a commercial van that you convert yourself if money s really tight

Its a 30+ year old vehicle, shit is gonna start going wrong and gas mileage is dreadful

http://imgur.com/gallery/RijZM
is a nice idea of what you can do with a bit of know-how and time
>>
>>15906385
>460 means 7mpg whether empty or towing
Wrong. My old mans 1987 f350 gets about 17 empty. He drives like an old man.

When I borrowed it I got 11. Driving habits are all of it.

OP

Make sure whatever van you end up purchasing has room for an additional alternator. Very important if you plan on running a decent battery bank.
>>
>>15907323
I won't exactly call BS on 17 MPG but im very suspicious of that. I had a '90 F150 with a 300 I6 and a manual that got 19 driving highway at the speed limit (55-65). I would really doubt an big block with an automatic could get 17 no matter how careful you are with the throttle.
>>
I think the '85s vans still have kingpins instead of the ballpoints in the f-series. Those suck to replace
>>
>>15907323
>My old mans 1987 f350 gets about 17 empty
no
>>
>>15907297
I'm not too concerned about maintenance and gas mileage. I've been dailying my 94 Silverado for over three years and have had no problem making repairs myself. I just wanted to get an idea of which parts to look out for and whatnot.

>>15906354
>they almost always leak
I'm sure there has to be ways to reinforce things.
>>
>>15907297
are you going to become an ice cream man?
>>
>>15907297
I'm looking at it as an availability perspective. I've wanted one of these things for a long while now, and I'm well aware of the challenges I'd face. As with any cool old car, it'll be objectively more problematic than most newer cars. I'm willing to make repairs and sacrifices to have a more fun drive for myself.
>>
>>15905709
If you go that old, dodge Chevy or Ford will be similar in terms of upkeep.
Anything fiberglass added on is bound to leak at the joints at some point, just be prepared to scrape and reseal the joints.
In my experience the dodges have the best road manners and handling.
The fords seem to keep working long after the wheels should've Fallen off but never work as good as the others from the get go.
>>
>>15905709
One of the major flaws is that you will looks like a pedo driving it
>>
File: 1474857378967.jpg (69KB, 419x610px) Image search: [Google]
1474857378967.jpg
69KB, 419x610px
>>15911862
Just found out from the seller that it has a Windsor 351W in it. I'm expecting anywhere from 10-13 mpg on that. He has admitted that there is a minor leak towards the from of the extended roof and I am prepared to reseal it if I purchase it.
>>15911900
>pic related
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.