[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't "Americans" appreciate F1?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 22

File: f1-2017-fia.jpg (173KB, 1240x694px) Image search: [Google]
f1-2017-fia.jpg
173KB, 1240x694px
>Is it because they have no class?
>>
>>15905075
I do. Huge fan.
But i know no one else who does
>>
Because it's a shitfest that's been drained of all competition, thrill and innovation thanks to regulations.
>>
It's boring, no American manufacturer s, sour grapes from '05 usgp
>>
>>15905085
>no American manufacturer
Try again
>>15905084
Youre ignorant
>>
>>15905091
Haas uses a Ferrari drive train, try again.
>>
because they like going around circles
>>
File: 0179396.jpg (526KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
0179396.jpg
526KB, 1920x1080px
Meanwhile in "Murica"
>>
>>15905093
>goal posts
>>
>>15905100
Technically every circuit race does this
>>
Too much corners.
>>
>>15905075
Because theres no innovation or competition. Whats so enjoyable about watching follow-the-leader for two hours to see a Mercedes win every weekend? It might be worth it if there were any interesting technological innovation, but there isn't. Any time a team comes up with some new technology or innovative design technique, the technology is immediately banned and the team is slapped with a multi million dollar fine, whether or not the innovation broke any rules.
>>
>>15905137
Why do people think this?
You obviously dont watch F1
>>
>>15905126
Their chassis is also built by Italians, and none of the drivers are American either, but please spout more memes because you have no counterargument. The team is American in ownership only and obviously that isn't enough to make many people in the states care.
>>
>>15905123
Can drink while competing in this open-wheeled racing event.
>>
>>15905143
I watch every round. Mercedes wins every round unless they manage to wreck each other. Thats not competition, its bullshit.
>>
>>15905147
'MKEK'
>>
>>15905156
Because they have better tech and innovation...
I dont like it either but it inspires other teams to try things to catch up.
Like hondas weird turbo setup
>>
>>15905137
>no innovation or competition
>watches 200 laps of cars going on a round track
>>
>>15905170
>implying disliking F1 means liking NASCAR
>>
>>15905075
cus they are not real cars. Its all track crap only. i rather watch real cars that average people can buy race
>>
>>15905184
We need more homologation racing in general
>>
>>15905176
The thread is about why Americans don't like F1, but Americans do like NASCAR.
>>
>>15905193
Americans like barbeque, beer and the smell of burning fuel. NASCAR is about the weekend around it, the race is just a small part
>>
>V6T+Electric vacuum cleaner engine
>>
we can not relate to tiny displacement v6 engines that make so little torque they need to take the fenders off to reduce weight.
>>
>>15905075
Why don't other countries appreciate NASCAR? Or hot dogs, American football, or even hunting with an assault rifle?

Is it because they're jealous of my freedoms?
>>
>>15905213
F1 could not be made more boring than it is now. Worse than the horrible days of Schumacher (pbuh). I fell asleep last time I was watching it, didn't fall asleep during le mans - although it isn't what it used to be either. American hot dogs are crap, much better in Denmark. American football blows but it beats European football. Rugby and handball are better sports, but I only care for women's beach volleyball and gymnastics desu. Bring back homolegation classes and give us more guns pls.
>>
>>15905091

not same fag, but he is absolutely right.

being huge F1 fan since late 80s, all went down the shitter since new stupid regulations were made up every year since 10years ago.

and it's stupid having a pilot's championship:
you want to find the best pilot? everyone should have the same car.

maybe that's why there are all the regulations, but then why having a constructor's championship if you make more and more regulations (thightening the possibilities for creative engineering and therefore improvement and innovation)?

FIA should cut the BS and decide: pilot's or constructor's championship.

I'm sad that times like pre-80s are long gone.

well, one thing they did right during the years: no traction control.

now they should go back to manual transmission with the almighty stick.
oh, yeah, also fuck off those stupid city-circuits. It's a pain, eyes are bleeding, I refer to singapore, baku (GP of Europe...what. the. fuck.) and co.
Monaco is fine because it's a tradition.
>>
>>15905348
>electric
>power

Nice joke, Ollie.
>>
>>15905075
Because there's only like one F1 race per year that happens in the US.
>>
>>15905084
NASCAR has just as much regulation as F1 and the amerilards jerk their tiny cocks to that shit on the daily
>>
>>15905123
to be fair, that looks like way more fun than racing in F1
>>
>>15905193
Modern NASCAR is rubbish, but it's worth remembering that once upon a time, stock car racing was actually that, stock cars- and one of the best ways to bench-race about whose car was faster. My Ferd is faster than your Chebby, it just won at Daytona. What wins on Sunday sells on Monday and all that jazz.
>>
This >>15905340

And I dislike professional racing in general. Oh wow, a bunch of dorks who have been driving go-karts since they were toddlers. This is so interesting and relatable. Half the wonder of sport comes from people who could be your peers, who could be you, doing amazing things. Other sports have poor fucks who did something in school or in parks when they were teens reach the pro level, racing is mostly rich kids, with outliers that skipped out on legal tracks here and there like dorifto kingu.

It's like watching fucking horse racing.

>pedigree horses that cost more than your house
>jockeys who trained from childhood, only the manletest of manlets
>result: more gamblers than actual fans
>>
>>15905075

Implying Europeans are appreciating F1.

No seriously it has been shit for the last 3 years at least.
>>
>average distance between cars during F1 race:
47 feet
>average distance between NASCAR cars during race:
5 inches

>average speed during F1 race:
72 mph
>average speed during NASCAR race:
181 mph
>>
>>15905075
I pretty much don't watch any televised motorsport because the cameras ruin the sense of speed. I'll watch rally stuff on youtube on occasion. I wish road race stuff was more popular here, I can appreciate the challenge of oval but it's not great to watch.
>>
>>15905570
>pro football players
>Full time athletes who train most of the week, are paid millions, fuck the best bitches and play in the most important leagues of the world

>pro basket players
>Full time athletes who train most of the week, are paid millions, fuck the best bitches and play in the most important leagues of the world

>pro [whatever fucking top level sport you want] player
>Same thing

>Wow those guys are so relatable, they could totally be me, we are totally the same, I could literally take their place right now

Meanwhile, on racing cars

>pro racing drivers

>waaaaaaaa those spoiled brats are so distant from me, i can't watch them because they get too much money and were trained since they were little waaaaaaaa not at all like other pro athletes!!!!!!!

Seriously, the only difference is that on other sports sometimes a lucky kid playing for his school team gets picked by a talent scout and his life changes completely.
Motorsport has never been a poor man's sport, even more so since most drivers outside of factory teams pay to drive race cars at any level.
Stop being mad at their rich background and maybe you could see that even rich people can be talented at something sometime, like driving racecars.

I swear to god this whole "they are all rich dorks" argument gets me so mad
>>
File: 17962541355_9a46f0d615_o.jpg (300KB, 1440x960px) Image search: [Google]
17962541355_9a46f0d615_o.jpg
300KB, 1440x960px
I just dont like watching races where all the cars look the same. I dont care about the drivers, I just like cars.

For me the most entertaining races are

24 Hours of LeMans for all the sweet sweet Corvette, Ferrari, Porsche, Audi, etc GT cars
&
24 Hours of Nurburgring for all the oddball cars that you wouldn't normally see in a race like that. I mean you have shitty little commuter cars flying around the same track as GT cars and its all happening at the same time. I think thats fucking great.
>>
I much prefer rally and top fuel dragsters to F1
>>
>>15905075
I stopped watching many years ago.

They need to deregulate.
>>
>>15905858
>>average speed during F1 race:
>72 mph
i'm guessing that was monaco. some faster tracks have average speeds of 150-160 mph

although i'm not into nascar, there's something oddly precise about high speed pack racing that i can appreciate especially as the cars themselves are relatively low-tech
>>
>>15906016
> Being this autistic
>>
>>15905340
/Thread
>>
>>15906124
>Can't enjoy a sport because the players had rich parents
>calls others autistic

Ok m8
>>
File: prometheus-DFP-KEKs.jpg (114KB, 512x320px) Image search: [Google]
prometheus-DFP-KEKs.jpg
114KB, 512x320px
>>15906085
>>
>>15905084
I like F1, but this is true. It's really boring seeing Nico Rosberg on the top step and not a single lead change the entire race.

Also the races aren't promoted for shit and they are on retarded channels. I try and watch (or at least DVR) all of the races but never know when they are because they only show commercials for the races on the channel that plays Bundesliga soccer all day. The US Grand Prix is the only race the whole year that you don't need a $200 cable package to afford. All of the European races are on at like 7am on a Sunday morning and the Asian races are on at 1am. And god forbid there is a Premier League game on at the same time, then the race will be on CNBC and who the hell knows what channel that is?
>>
I'll tune in to F1 racing occasionally but I usually can't watch a whole race without being bored to death.

They place the cameras so far away that the cars look like they're going slower than freeway speeds, the cars are usually relatively far apart, the commentators generally sound bored and talk about people I don't know (because F1 is hard to watch) and...that's it.

I think my biggest beef is with the camera angles, especially the habit of placing the cameras in the next zip code and shooting the race from there.
>>
>>15906142
> Thinks he's responding to the same guy
>>
>>15905340
Having two championship titles is also tradition.
>>
>>15905570
There has never in the past 20 or so years been an F1 champion who was a pay driver or only there cause money. All the best drivers come from somewhat humble beginnings.
>>
F1 sucks though, the only motorsports worth watching are MotoGP and WRC
>>
Because it simply doesn't interest me. I don't drive like they do, I don't want to drive like they do, and when I do drive I have different causes than they do.
>>
>>15905075
>>15905084
>>15905085
this
also Le Red Italian maymay cars win everything notable
>>
File: 1464810807544.jpg (25KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1464810807544.jpg
25KB, 640x480px
>>15906547
check your decade m8
>>
File: class-.jpg (309KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
class-.jpg
309KB, 1200x800px
I used to watch every F1 race since the mid 90s, it hasn't produced good racing since that brief period between Schumacher winning everything and Vettel winning everything.

BTCC is the shit though, I never miss a race.
>>
>>15906748
What channel is it on these days? I'd love to watch it again but never seem to catch it on live
>>
File: I_T_T_meme.png (112KB, 499x329px) Image search: [Google]
I_T_T_meme.png
112KB, 499x329px
>>15906547
...then you must be an ameripoor who's mad because the whole "americunt" car company is failing. LEL.
>>
File: btcc.webm (3MB, 720x400px) Image search: [Google]
btcc.webm
3MB, 720x400px
>>15906748
>going to brands hatch this weekend
hype
>>
who says they don't? plenty show up in Austin and Montreal, lots of us will be waking up at o dark hundred this weekend to watch live coverage from the far side of the planet. Contrary to global perceptions, there is a healthy twisty track scene in the US. But the Redneck Turn Left and Accelerate dumb Merkin lets folk feel superior, so feel free to ignore.

Real Reason: Merkins hate losing, hate sports that they cannot dominate, as they challenge that irritating sense of entitled superiority.
>>
>>15905075

americans like to have the race vehicles resemble something they could own or do own. Its why nascar uses shells based on current vehicles.
>>
>>15906775
ITV4, BTCC takes over the channel all day when there is a race on.

>Starts around 11am
>All BTCC races live
>support races shown too, some live
>pre-recorded support races to fill in gaps
>close racing
>multiple drivers from different teams and in different cars all capable of winning the championship
>will likely come down to the last race of the season

>>15906793
Mad jelly.
>>
File: a1097811fc5c723f91fdc00aa7b2b433.jpg (417KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
a1097811fc5c723f91fdc00aa7b2b433.jpg
417KB, 1600x1200px
>>15906806

What the fuck kind of normal car does this resemble
>>
>>15906825

Not a Nascar vehicle.

And those races draw in people because of pure power.

The first time you go to one you will understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umNiUIDzN0Q
>>
>>15906806
No, motor vehicle manufacturers create a shell based on a vehicular product they wish to advertise and then sponsor a team to use said shell.
>>
>>15906825
BUT IT HAS A CHRYSLER ENGINE
>>
>>15905143
>fan cars
>6 wheelers
>unique setups
If you tell me you could identify each teams F1 car with no panels, you'd be bullshitting me.
>>
>>15906512
Absolute truth.
>>
File: 2680877282_e170df8370_z.jpg (87KB, 640x350px) Image search: [Google]
2680877282_e170df8370_z.jpg
87KB, 640x350px
>>15906512
Bring back Group B rallying.
>>
>>15906911
Group B with modern tech would be so fast it'd devolve into rulefaggotry in no time flat. Group A is where it's at, make the manufacturers roll out actual AWD homologation specials instead of "the engine block and the bodyshell is the same so this shitbox with stickers is the closest you'll get :^)"
>>
I like 70s and 80s F1.

colorful drivers.
cars that did different things.

crashes, death and injuries were common.

I miss Group B too.
>>
>>15905439
Not a NASCAR fan, but judging by crowd sizes I see on TV, its popularity has gone down significantly.
>>
>>15905075
People like seeing things they recognize on the track. That's what makes stuff like V8 Supers so popular in Australia.

>tfw no more Group A or B

Homologation would probably bring quite a bit of interest to F1. Imagine if they could get away with selling a bunch of these things to the public.
>>
>>15906983
>no rules, just sell however many to the public

And so resumes the automotive arms race that preceded the 90s sports car (and Group A specials) era.
>>
I love F1, my wristband for the Austin GP just came in the mail. I'm hyped as fuck.
>>
>>15907555
>Homologation to F1

What the fuck is going on in your brain
>>
>>15906463
I agree with your point about the camera angles, I would like to add that WEC, another FIA series, has great camera angles. They make the cars look really fast, which is one of the main reasons I can watch a race for 6 hours, even when there isn't any passing. You get a great sense for the cornering speed, and it makes just watching them drive exciting.
>>
File: ford-rs200-1.jpg (381KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
ford-rs200-1.jpg
381KB, 1024x768px
>>15907635
Street-legal death machines.
>>
>>15907680
That's not a formula car at all tho
>>
>>15905207
THIS
>>
>>15907706
It isn't, but the idea is for something absolutely batshit sold to the public to be legal to register.

Imagine taking a Formula One car down the German meme highway or along one of those American roads that never ends. Highway coppers couldn't hope to catch you.

Obviously it'd never work. Nobody could afford one in the first place and it'd be the most impractical thing to try and drive about but the idea is pretty cool.
>>
>>15905075
its just that the f1 cars are too sterile
I'm more in to group 6 and 7 equivalents
>>
File: 1370015161513.png (9KB, 473x454px) Image search: [Google]
1370015161513.png
9KB, 473x454px
This seems like the place to ask:
Is it true that Reutemman got sabotaged by Williams?
>>
>>15905075
Im American and I prefer F1 over most other forms of motorsport.
>>
>>15907555
Hope v8 supercars fuck off when local manufacturing goes in a few years.

Bring back actual cars, not this silhouette BS
>>
>>15907567
how much did it cost you? I'd road trip from Chicago for a GP
>>
They should go to this Red Bull concept. Which is a car that the drivers can not actually drive to the max potential, at least safely.
>>
>>15905075
F1 sucks man, has done for a long time.

t. not american
>>
>>15905075
Boring.
Skinny lanes: boring.
Less lead changes in a _season_ than a single NASCAR, IndyCar, go kart or daily rush-hour commute: boring.
Cars are all the same: boring (IndyCar has same problem)
Bitchy drivers: that's kinda fun
>>
>>15906076
This. The days of notable drivers is long gone. There will never be another Newman or McQueen. The highlight for today's motorsports fan is the gear, the vehicle. Having a whole grid of cars that look the same is absolutely yawn-worthy. The only arguable exception is bikes, and that's because you get to see the riders actually physically interact with their vehicles beyond gas-brake-wheel. Seeing a bunch of differently-colored pocket rockets crest and lean and weave is also more exciting due to the higher risk of danger to the rider.
>>
>>15906825
I can easily explain this.
>going to a drag event is often very similar to going to the county fair or the carnival; prize lotteries, walk-arounds, copious amounts of vendors selling junk food, and other track events happening nearby if you get bored
>a simplistic and clear-cut contest of grip, torque, and acceleration between two insane-looking cars with more horsepower than sense
>a winner is decided in less than 15 seconds of eardrum-splitting, rib-rattling, vision-blurring sound and fury
>there's also a good chance the car will catch fire and/or eat a wall
Drag pulls are a quintessentially American thing.
>>
>>15906825
>>15909286
Well, not the person I meant to reply to, but whatever. Have an explanation, anyway.
>>
>>15905193
>every American likes NASCAR
kek, go ask some NHRA guys what they think of NASCAR.
>>
I think a lot comes from the commentators...

I don't watch many motorsports either, but when i did it was because the MotoGP guys were verbally wanking about Lorenzo/Rossi duels and Casey Stoner in general.

Go listen to italian commentators on old races, you can _feel_ the adrenaline
>>
because it's fucking boring
>>
I wish they'd swap the cars for LMP1 cars
>as fast as the slowest f1 cars
>very different cars (audi diesel, nissan attempting FWD)
>>
>>15905075
I've been a fan on F1 since I was a kid,but it died for me the moment they introduced current v6 engines
>>
>>15907564
You say that like it's a bad thing.
>>
>>15905075
I watch sometimes but not a huge fan. Its just not advertised here at all. My personal preference is blancpain endurance series and super gt any way. Modern F1 is way less compelling than it used to be. In the 90s I remember being able to actually watch it and hear about it. Not anymore.
>>
>>15906911
Current WRC cars are faster than group B back then.
Still, a modern group B would be amazing.
>>
American anti-intellectualism.

F1 has a public image of "elitist" technology and rich-boy drivers.

NASCAR paints a public image of its drivers as small-town home-grown heroes racing in cars prepared by grease-monkey mechanics.
>>
>>15910622
So i suppose you hate LMP1 with a passion because some of them have V4 engines
>>
File: I_T_T_meme.jpg (108KB, 499x329px) Image search: [Google]
I_T_T_meme.jpg
108KB, 499x329px
>>15908926
...the you are a europoor m8
>>
>>15906424
what you'd rather see jewis sheckleton on the top step then
>>
>tfw can-am was too awesome to actually run
>tfw IMSA GT era was short lived
>tfw no one cared about GOAT 1995-2006 LMGT1 or GT2
>>
>>15905100
so you yuropoors jist go around in squiggly circles all of a sudden your "thouroughbred and pedigreed" sport is superior
>>
>>15905075
A parade of ugly cars that sound like angry bees. The better question is why is it so popular?
>>
>>15905446
This.
>>
>>15910971
(You)
>>
>>15911307
I would love to see GT1 cars back, not sure how it would work considering they already restrict the power of gt2/gte cars. But man can you imagine seeing hyper cars racing next to LMP1 cars.
>>
>>15911337
lmao, this faggot probably drives an fca product that has been recalled 3 times, but is still proud of it because
>HURR DURR MUH MURICAN VEE8 THAT WEIGHTS 5.24 TONS WILL DESTROY EURO AND JAP KEKS
>LOL FORIENG KEKS HAV NO FREEDOM!!1!!1!!
>LEFT TURNS R BEST TURNS AMIRITE
>>
>>15911337
>>15911393
Samefag
>>
>>15911184
Meant for
>>15910650
>>
>>15905075
I like it, even when I hear so many people say its boring and not any good anymore. Old races are still much more interesting to watch but comparing 2016 nascar to 2016 F1, F1 is still more entertaining to watch
>>
File: 230hp naturally aspirated.jpg (242KB, 1010x1500px) Image search: [Google]
230hp naturally aspirated.jpg
242KB, 1010x1500px
>>15911422
V4>>>>>>>>>>V6
especially if you let italians do their thing
>>
>>15911487
Except the LMP1 one is made by germans
>>
>>15907635
To be fair, all racecars have to conform to the regulations for the race (ie homologated).
>>
because we do indycar
>>
File: 8657534342.jpg (53KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
8657534342.jpg
53KB, 800x533px
>>15911518
>Except the LMP1 one is made by germans

kek. That's true.

Even the Toyota TS cars are built by their Cologne facility in Germany.
>>
>>15911343
>(You)

That's not how that works, newfag.

This is.
>>
>>15911563
not sure if bait

but heres your (you) anyway
>>
>>15911307
>1995-2006 LMGT1 or GT2

GT1 and GT2 didn't even run at LM24 between 2000-2004. And GT1 of the '00s were immensely different from the GT1 of the '90s.
>>
>>15911580
That's better.
>>
>>15911522
It was more of a comment about F1 being the polar opposite of something that can be homologated for street use without turning it into something completely different
>>
>>15905075
Because watching someone else race is boring. I'd much rather be autocrossing or track day bro-ing, especially since F1 tickets cost just about as much.

>>15905439
I don't like nascrap either, it's even more boring. At least F1 has right turns. It actually kinda sucks being an american that doesn't give a shit about nascar, automatic transmissions, or muh pickemup truckkz. There isn't really much in the way of alternatives.
>>
File: Delicious.jpg (17KB, 373x339px) Image search: [Google]
Delicious.jpg
17KB, 373x339px
>>15906748
>that levorg
Muh dikk, I really really want one of those with the 2.0 and a 6 speed
>>
File: 1456961642162.jpg (145KB, 838x638px) Image search: [Google]
1456961642162.jpg
145KB, 838x638px
>>15911393
This is some grade A salt.
>>
File: stop.jpg (10KB, 293x282px) Image search: [Google]
stop.jpg
10KB, 293x282px
>>15911487
>V4
>>
>>15905075
Dang youropeeans! Everyone knows a proper race consists of "Go fast, turn left, go fast, turn left."
>>
>>15912175
(You)
>>
>>15911184
It's not just the engines,although it's a part of the problem.

The races just became too boring for me,I'd fall asleep after 10 laps or so,and all eco bullshit doesn't help either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5yoldSte64
>>
File: BBTM_1918904.png (98KB, 360x208px) Image search: [Google]
BBTM_1918904.png
98KB, 360x208px
>>15912175
>>
>>15906076
BTCC, DTM and Aussie Supercars should be added to this list
>>
>>15911871
v4s exist in some good rice racers
>>
>>15907553
Crowd sizes are smaller because tickets are way to fucking expensive. I love to go to races but I cant hit 3 or 4 races like I used to be able to. I cant justify $200+ for a pit pass and 4 hours of not being able to talk to the person next to you when TV coverage is just fine.
>>
>>15905075
Hard to tip a driver going that fast, cars too loud,cant even hear myself clap.
>>
>>15912309
That was actually very sad to hear, but they summed it up nicely. I've raced karts for several years in TAG and Outlaw class. It is 100% balls-out just GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO until you cross the finish line, and I can't imagine enjoying any other kind of racing more. To have everything be about preservation of the car and dealing with the annoyance of an inferior car (Rotax vs Leopard engines in TAG class) would just fucking suck if racing is your life like that. When the drivers can't stand the cars, you have a problem.
>>
>>15912318
TOP KEK
>>
>>15911871
A V4 won Le Mans this year.
Let that sink in.
>>
>>15909218

A lot of this has to do with the fact that from what I understand, teams don't put up with drivers that have any character anymore, they just want drivers to be mindless inserts to the vehicle, this has always been how Ferrari has seen things, the teams like Ferrari, that literally have voting power within the sport (which is insane) want to maintain absolute power over every aspect of the sport, including the drivers, who stay quiet on just about everything because they know their careers are on the line the second they act out about anything, takes away from the focus on the brand name, remember, Ferrari and Mercedes and such want you to know that drivers don't win championships, a car does, an engine does, Ferrari does.
>>
>>15906883
Honestly I'm one of many Americans who could.

Each is distinctive as Hell. I might have a tad difficulty picking them out now at this point in the season due to upgrades that discarded innovative components that didn't work. But, fact is they are all very different. Without livery colors it's not hard to figure out.

So yeah zero o'clock for the next race and the scramble to figure out what NBC channel it's showing on.
>>
>>15911307

Can-Am died because the money got out of control really quick and the SCCA tried to reign in the technically interesting aspects of the series, but lost the interest of the fans.

IMSA GTP was epic, but died because of a lack of cheap, competitive customer cars to take the fight to the major factory teams. Also because in 1991, they were clear about not having F1-style engines in the series only to allow the Jaguar XJR-14s in for '92.

GT1 was OK in 1994 & '95, but Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan and Toyota especially took turns ripping the rulebook to shreds at the expense of "Racing with Road Cars"...

I personally think F1 has never really taken off in this country because there hasn't been a consistently competitive 'murrican driver since Mario Andretti and there hasn't been a long-standing, competitive 'murrican F1 team. The fact that Haas F1 can't even attract secondary sponsorship speaks volumes about how little 'murricans give a shit about F1.
>>
>>15906748
The btcc is very fun to watch. Though I have to say the wild west that was the 90's for the btcc was so freaking amazing.
>>15907706
I know you're talking in the literal sense, but Group B cars were considered Formula 1 cars for the dirt. Mostly because of their insane speed, use of extreme downforce, and advance technology.
>>
>>15917009
> Group B cars were considered Formula 1 cars for the dirt.
every branch of motorsport has its own "F1" class, touring has DTM, GT had GT1 or GTLM, protos have LMP1 and so on, each with their own distinctive use of what's available in their specific rulebook at that time.
Still, an F1 homologation class would be pants on heads retarded, not only because it would be absolutely incredibly expensive, but it would need so many modifications to make it road legal that the street car wouldn't even look like an F1 anymore.

The BAC Mono is probably the closest you will ever get to drive a formula car on public roads.

>tfw there was a time when you could buy Audi's LMP1 from the previous year and race them as a private team
>>
>>15917096
There's also the Caparo T1.
>>
>>15905085
Haas
>>
File: CNWmg1rUkAAIzVC.jpg (17KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
CNWmg1rUkAAIzVC.jpg
17KB, 600x300px
>>15910622
>doesn't break down after 5 minutes
>car doesn't get rekt going over a fucking curb
>>
>>15920284
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>15905075
F1 died long ago.
>>
3/4 of the races start at 5am for west coasters. no sane person wants to wake up before the sun rises to watch it. they have managed to create something that is less interesting than professional golf.
>>
>F1
Huge fucking regulation mess. 2010 was the last ok season, 2012 gets honorable mention for fixed races.
>BTCC
Not as good as the supertouring era but usually a quality watch, if somewhat artificial.
>V8S
On a steady decline to nothingness, but still ok.
>Endurance racing
Nice watches but they don't happen too often.
>WTCC
Like BTCC but ran by the FIA. Not great.

MotoGP is the best top line motorsports to watch right now. Marky marc might win everything but at least you can see how good he is.
>>
>>15905075
Used to go to F1 races all the time with my redneck buddies.
They stopped going a year or two back, said they were tired of the "Vacuum cleaner" races.
Now we go to rally races.
>>
>>15911291
I wasn't a huge fan of Vettel at first but then when he was winning his last championship and doing donuts at all the tracks I started to like him. Since he grew up, he became a little more outspoken and is kinda funny and sarcastic sometimes.

Bottas is pretty cool. Hulkenberg too. They just don't seem like little bitches. Jenson button isn't bad either, he doesn't complain as much as some of the other dudes who had a good car a bunch of years ago and it won them a championship. Kimi is still the man. Oh, and Ricciardo would be a good "Face of F1" if he started winning a bunch of races.

I would just like to see some fucking competition. If there's one thing I like about NASCAR, it's the 40+ car grid. Plus those 43 cars are on a track 1/3 the distance of an F1 circuit. With 40 cars in an F1 race, there would be a lot more traffic and somebody in the top 10 would always be racing somebody else.

I'm just sick of seeing the same 2 cars finishing 1-2 all the time. It would be different if you really had a dominant driver who was on the podium while his teammate in the same car was finishing in the middle of the pack. But the best thing would be if the constructor's championship wasn't won half way through the season.

Speaking of that, when was the last time the Driver's champion and Constructor's champion were different teams? Mid 90s?
>>
>>15924000
Ehh, '08, '99, and '94 were the 3 seasons in the past 30 years where the Driver's Champion wasn't driving the Constructor's Champion car.

Who was Hamilton's teammate at McLaren in '08? Anybody remember that season? I really got into it when Vettel started winning everything so I don't even remember healthy competition.
>>
>>15906094
The lack of wizbang tech on Nascar cars is part of the alure. The fact that they're all running stick shift, solid axle, no traction control, naturally aspirated pushrod v8s makes the high speed pack more impressive. The driver skill in Nascar is crazy
>>
any chance that the F1 die? I hate what it has become.
GP2 has cooler cars now. shit I would love to drive a GP3.
>>
>>15924616
At this rate, it might. Racing series die out and start up again as something new all the time. GP2 hasn't been around long. Bernie Ecclestein needs to die and dissolve F1 so a new group of people can start up a premier open wheel racing class to replace it but more like the good ol' days (and with 44 car grids!).
>>
>>15923952
Top Fuckin KEK!
>>
Ok, but what about Formula E?
>>
>>15926378
FE is god tier
>>
>>15909218
>The days of notable drivers is long gone
I blame this on the disappearance of road racing.
Thanks, rules-nazis and ecucklogists
>>
>>15924090

How does everyone forget that episode of Top Gear where Hammond comes to America and talks about Nascar, and asks a driver who's done both Nascar and F1 what's harder and he said Nascar easy, just because of how crazy it is.

Dale Earnhardt used to be known as The Intimidator because he wasn't afraid to trade paint and hit you at the back to spin you out, I dunno if that's still legal but at the time that was a completely acceptable way to drive in a pack of 40 fucking cars without any driving aids or safety features, jesus christ.

>>15926378

I just found out about FE and want to get into it, it looks really cool, it's also nice to see that they realize they need to start targeting a younger demographic even to the point of trying to tie it into esports (although so far that's been a bit pathetic)

Now if only I could figure out how to watch the fucking things
>>
>>15926378
>fanboost
It's not a motorsport. It's a popularity contest.
>>
>>15926378
you mean Formula Gay?
>>
>>15927057
>30kW for 5 seconds

Sure that's going to turn the tide of a race
>>
>>15905075

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/features/2015/12/f1-2015-season-in-numbers.html

>Lowest winning grid position: Third (Sebastian Vettel in Hungary)
>Race with most overtakes: Malaysia, 60
>587 - Lewis Hamilton; 349 - Nico Rosberg; 176 - Sebastian Vettel; 19 - Felipe Massa; 10 - Kimi Raikkonen; 7 - Daniel Ricciardo; 1 - Valtteri Bottas (1 guy led 587 of 1149 laps, or 51% of the time)
>>
>>15927090
>5-second 40hp zero lag boost is nothing
>>
>>15927057
I just had the goat idea that will fix motorsports for ever

>fanpenalty
>>
>>15927131
It's not going to turn a losing driver into a winning one.
You are already at the front of the pack if you are in a position where the fanboost can make you win something
>>
>>15927280
>only 3 drivers can win a boost

>the rest can eat shit for all we care
>t. fans

This could mean the difference why the other F1 driver reject was on the podium and why you were not.

>it's the final lap
>you're a 2-decade veteran formula driver
>the P4 fag who won the popularity pageant just activated his boost
>your foot is buried on the accel as much as possible
>you activate your boost
>surprise: he activated a superior fanboost
>he overtakes your from the outside
>cry like a loser while he stands on the podium
>>
>>15927849
>2016 season
>30 fanboost awarded
>Literally only two passes made thanks to fanboost

And one of them (made by Di Grassi) doesn't really count as he was later disqualified because of weight limits, so you are left with Vergne passing someone and getting 9th position.

Really, the only thing you can argue about Fanboost is if it does anything at all
>>
>>15924029
Heikkie Kvalainen

Last remembered for filling Kimi's seat after he peaced out of Lotus with a few races to go.
Thread posts: 173
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.