[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why aren't electric pickups a thing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (844KB, 1152x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
844KB, 1152x2048px
Don't electric motors have gobs of torque?

Also what car is this?
>>
>>15901250
ELECTRIC ISNT MANLY!!!!!!
BIG RUMBLEY V8
D I E S EL

And Im pretty sure thats a porsche cayman, but I dont know my Porsches.
>>
Pontiac Solstice with a Ferrari F430-style front bumper.
>>
Because of low range and high battery weight, and that's a Pontiac Solstice, redressed also known as the Saturn Sky.
>>
>>15901250
Battery life.
Waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy bbbbaaaaaaaaaaaccccccccck when a lot of trucks were electric because of torque, but range was/is shit.
Also maintenance. A diesel is easier to maintain than a similar power electric motor. Even heavy equipment still usually runs on diesel.
>>
>>15901263

I thought it wa a solstice but the bunker was throwing me off.>>15901268

I figured most work pickups didn't see much range and could be charged on site of need be, though I guess refilling makes sense.
>>
File: OGTESLA.jpg (1MB, 2048x1300px) Image search: [Google]
OGTESLA.jpg
1MB, 2048x1300px
>>15901250

They were for a bit.
>>
>>15901320

>>15901288

Oh shit, I was unaware of this period.
>>
File: 1474891147333.jpg (386KB, 712x989px) Image search: [Google]
1474891147333.jpg
386KB, 712x989px
>>15901320
i mean. I'm okay with this. Small practical pickups, for like... for small city jobs without the massive amounts of overkill.
>>
>>15901250
Batteries a shit.
>>
>>15901250
Probably has something to do with running costs. Heavy use of batteries causes more frequent maintenance only certified technicians can work on. "Muh chebby V8" redneck can work on his SQURRR BODY CHEBBY where as for a Tesla, you have to be certified do to the danger.
>>
>>15901250
Because for any given amount of frame strength, the more batteries you put in it, the less payload/towing capacity you end up with.
>>
Heavy equipment operator here

A lot of heavy equipment is diesel electric
Meaning that there is a diesel generator on board that powers hydraulic pumps that power the machine.

A lot of diesel equipment would actually be able to be retrofitted by batteries, we're just waiting for the tech to catch up
>>
>>15905013
and that's the crutch, battery energy density

you could probably make it truly market viable for most industry and commercial use with even a 30% increase in energy density for the same cost over LiPos the problem is LiPo is king right now and there's a million other battery chemistries in various stages between "works great in a lab setting" and "oh god this is not scale-able at all"
i think the closest right now is lithium-air but even that is not a guarantee
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.