[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Automatic Transmissions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: Gear Selector.jpg (58KB, 627x548px) Image search: [Google]
Gear Selector.jpg
58KB, 627x548px
Why are the vast majority of automatic shifters made in the likeness of a manual shifter?

Why not just make a knob or some buttons or something.
>>
>>15889614
Because its easier to make the body in one style instead of two catering to manual and auto.

So they have to fill that hold in the drive tunnel with something.

Also levers are more visceral meaning you can feel where the shift is going or doing, where as buttons and nobs are less so.
>>
File: IMG_1750.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1750.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>15889614
Column shifts are best.

Automatic trucks (big trucks, not pickups) normally have a push button selector. Certain straight trucks use a column shift.
>>
I hate this shit. I was looking into a 530i but if you want to swap it to manaual you have to cut a big hole in the trim for it. Much nicer if you can just get a boot and have the stick poking out where the auto shifter used to. Bonus points for having PNRD lights on shifter as opposed to the dash where they look shit after a swap.
>>
>>15889713
Just buy a manual already.
>>
>>15889694
Ford ranger?
>>
File: IMG_1751.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1751.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>15889733
Pic related. I always liked column shifts though. My first car was an Explorer with a column shift. Leaves lots of extra room for better cupholders and little storage areas. Plus it still has the hole in the body but with a plate covering it if somebody wanted to manual swap the thing for some reason.

The F-250 has a bench seat so it needs a column shift. And lots of our automatic tractors have so much room between the two front seats with the button shift, you could build a dank center console in those if you wanted to but I always jut put a milk crate and my backpack right in the center.
>>
>>15889645
>levers are more visceral

This.

I don't have to look anywhere to tell what gear I've put the transmission (manual or auto) into if the shifter position feel gives me that info.

This is the drawback for paddle shifters. I have to look somewhere to figure out what gear I'm in.
>>
>>15889720
A lot of the cars that I am interested in don't come in manual, most. 5 series included. My 300zx came manual, but I would have saved 2-3 grand had I swapped an auto
>>
>>15889778
You'll probably get used to what each gear feels like after a while. I can tell feel whether I am in 5th or 6th by the throttle response. This doesn't work with a 21 speed modern gearbox though I would imagine
>>
>>15889862
Depending on body style 5series manuals aren't impossible to find.

An E39 will pop up quite a few manuals when searching on Autotrader and the like, but you just may have to drive to get them.

I had to drive close to 500miles to pick up my 540i
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.