[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How viable is it to buy a shell and build a car from it? How

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Screenshot_2016-09-25-09-28-53.png (403KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-09-25-09-28-53.png
403KB, 1080x1920px
How viable is it to buy a shell and build a car from it? How costly would it be than just buying a salvage car, stripping it down and building on that?
>>
It's definitely viable to build from a shell; they repop all the parts. It's much, much more expensive than just buying a relatively complete car. Those shells are mostly used for custom builds big expenses.

>http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5765169310.html
>>
>>15887468
You'll never do either do why ask?
>>
>>15887517
Would I register it as a regular car or is there a catch I should worry about?
>>15887547
k
>>
>>15887576
>Would I register it as a regular car or is there a catch I should worry about?

Sorry, I have no idea. Do you know if the shell even come with a VIN?
>>
>>15887576
It depends on your state. Will need to prove that you built a car from scratch. If you do this tale pictures of all steps, have receipts for all parts bought and any work you pay to have done. Might be registered as a kit car but you should be able to do it without major headaches. Just document everything. May need to go somewhere to get a vin installed, again some place you can get a legit receipt
>>
>>15887576
Basically you won't be able to register it as a 196-whatever Camaro. It'll be a "new" car
>>
>>15887598
>>15887589
Huh. I guess the salvage/used car route is easier in the long run. Guess I'll do some research this week and buy one by next weekend.
>>
>>15887614
Look into your local laws, it may be easier. But like the other anon posted, for 3 grand more than an empty shell you get a whole car, you could probably buy that thing then drive it home and there you go, camaro
>>
>>15887576
You register is as the frame you use. If you fabricated everything from scratch have fun with the paperwork.
>>
>>15887761
>You register is as the frame you use
Would be tough considering Camaros are unibody. Registering a kit car is not difficult. Why talk out of your ass when you clearly don't know what you are talking about?
>>
buy a trashed one and use that vin
>>
>>15887848
>Unibody
Meaning it doesn't have a distinct body frame separation... The body is part if the frame. So you still use the vin on the Fucking "frame". Why talk shit when you aren't going to answer the question you say I answered wrong.
>>
>>15887614
Boy the crappy old one and fix it up with a repop shell.
>>
People seam to be missing how mustang/camaros are built.

On an old pickup, and many other cars, you can unbolt the body and lift it off the frame- leaving engine, transmission, wiring etc and just replace it with another one.

On a unibody chassis, the car body IS the "frame".
Front and rear " subframes" are welded to the body to make a lighter, rigid structure. There is only enough "subframe" to provide hard points to attach engine mounts and suspension components.

On a frame/body vehicle, the vin is stamped on multiple spots on the frame (near driver side motor mount, under the driver, near the driver side rear tire), along with the dash and doorjam plates.

On a unibody car, the vin is stamped on the sheet metal of the shell (on the inner fender panel underneath the fender, on the firewall, multiple other spots depending on the vehicle).

Cutting off the components that have vins stamped in them and welding them into a new chassis is illegal.
>>
>>15887576
Go to a swap meet and buy a title and vin plate. There's always at least one guy selling them for "collecting purposes"
>>
>>15888338
Like I said, vin is multiple other places.
Get caught and your car goes to the crusher.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.