[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hydrogen Cars Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Toyota-Mirai-2016-1280-03.jpg (145KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Toyota-Mirai-2016-1280-03.jpg
145KB, 1280x960px
What's your opinion on Hydrogen Fuel Cell powered cars?

For example : Toyota Mirai
>gets 66mpg
>electric motor - 154hp and 247 lb.ft (yes, you read that right)
>0 - 60 in a painful 9.4s
>Front motor and FWD
>emits out water
>>
The design is repulsive and ridiculous. I can't believe this is a real production car.
>>
>>15880283
Yeah even I can't think who passed this design.
>>
>mirai
More like nightmare
>>
>>15880281
future of automobile technology, all modern combustion engines can be converted to hydrogen power pending they do not use the Atkinson cycle.
>>
exactly the same infrastructure problem as EVs except with two key downsides

>home refueling is much more difficult and potentially more expensive
>giant tank of pressurized hygroden in your car

why not just go with EVs?
>>
>>15880522
i would assume cause EV is a lot more unsustainable and not genuinely renewable, which doesn't really do anything for finding a green alternative.
>>
>>15880541
how so? LiPo batteries can be recycled it's just not that economical at the moment, but that's getting better over time
>>
You know that hydrogen is mass produced using electrolysis to separate it from water, right? We use more energy to produce it then we gain from burning it, in a large scale it's fucking pointless unless we discovered a way to mine hydrogen from space.
>>
>>15880281
>154hp and 247 lb.ft
>0 - 60 in a painful 9.4s

how long are those gear ratios?
like shit does it keep constant power 'till 200mph?
>>
>>15880554
The initial production required to make the batteries is the unsustainable part. also even if the batteries are recycled and the components are reused the processes used to recreate it would not be a sustainable practice either. not saying EV is bad, i really like the idea myself, just not sustainable.
>>
>>15880630
>The initial production required to make the batteries is the unsustainable part.
That's why Musk's gigafactory was sought after by states that competed for it. The factory also comes with a separately built green power generation facility to power up the factory. Both wind and solar power. Tesla merged with the solar power company too and Tesla's partner Panasonic also has experience in industrial solar power systems.

So the amount of unstainable power for creating lithium batteries is less than you might think.
>>
File: Changeling Propaganda.jpg (173KB, 612x792px) Image search: [Google]
Changeling Propaganda.jpg
173KB, 612x792px
>>15880281
I've loved the concept since 2005 with pic related, all their cars were Hydrogen Fuel Cell cars. But the thing is, they looked good, had good performance, had a sound, were actually efficient- they worked.

The saddest thing is that this type of car is incredibly feasible, but the ulrajews in Big Oil keep buying out the projects and trashing them, and/or hiring hitmen to kill people who rival them and pay the media and judicial system to make it out as "an allegedly self-inflicted gunshot/poisoning", which is why there are only three production Hydrogen cars, and none of them are available in the western Hemisphere.
>>
>>15881076
oh really? didn't know about that, sounds pretty cool. i'll have to look into the factory.
Keep in mind all of the externalities as well though, such as raw materials gathered and transport costs. I always thought it was funny that prius owners were always buying them cause of being eco but realistically the process used for making a prius was fucking terrible on the environment
>>
>>15880562
Did you read the word "electric motor" in the OP?
>>
>>15880281
>What's your opinion on Hydrogen Fuel Cell powered cars?

It will never come to pass in the USA unless that country's Homeland Security approves of widespread private possession and mobile transportation of highly pressurized hydrogen canisters and tanks. These cars and additional containers would need to be authorized for use or transport in underground parking lots under skyscrapers, convention centers, malls, businesses, and hospitals.
>>
hydrogen is a meme.

corrosion of everything it touches.

leaks through everything

incredibly inefficient to produce, store, transport, store, turn into motion.

current industrial scale production is from cracking natural gas. so you still get co2 emissions. would be more efficient to burn the cng to charge an electric car.

much more dangerous than guzzoline.

crap energy density compared to guzzoline

infrastructure is non existent. there are 3 public hydrogen filling stations in the USA and they are all in California. electricity is everywhere and you can bring a 110v charger and even some lower amp 240v chargers with out easily.

fuel cells are either made from rare elements or not as efficient. they also wear out faster when breathing Air instead of bottled O2 .

hydrogen combustion engines are even more inefficient.

hydrogen fuel for cars is the petrol industry trying to appear green and suck up government money that should be going to battery EVs.
>>
>>15880288
>>15880283

Somehow it's worse in person

A guy on my street owns one and it's awful
>>
>>15881101
>this is what hippies actually believe
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.