[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Replica Auburn Boattail Speedsters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: auburn-boattail-speedster.jpg (252KB, 1280x857px) Image search: [Google]
auburn-boattail-speedster.jpg
252KB, 1280x857px
What is the story on these, how in the hell is a replicar worth 70k+? Do they automatically fellate you on the highway or something?
>>
no

there's a dildo in the seat that thrusts once a second for every 1000 RPM

or was that an aftermarket thing for miatas?
>>
Lol but serious /o/ I don't get it
>>
How does the price compare with the original model?
>>
>>15877081
(With inflation)
>>
>>15876002
iirc there was a run of these cars using NOS leftover parts sometimes in the last 20-30 years, that may account for some of the prices you see.
>>
>>15877081
Idk, presumably a lot cheaper. But still, 70k for a fiberglass replica?
>>
>>15877104
It's not a common replica and it's probably done better than a fiero f40.

I get what you mean though. I've always wondered how hard it could be to make a car that looks nice but not overdone or overpriced.
>>
You have a helluva lot of fixed costs in setting up machining and tooling to produce all your body panels &c., and not a lot of sales to spread the costs over. That means high fixed costs per car.

You're also not building a $brazillion robot factory just to crank out a small handful of cars, so most of the assembly is probably done by hand. That means lots of man-hours per car, times the hourly wages of all your skilled and semi-skilled labor. That means your marginal costs are also high.

Finally, nobody's going to (not-so-)mass-produce these for fun. I certainly wouldn't devote a year of my life to drafting blueprints, building prototypes, and ironing out the kinks in design and assembly if I was going to break even or lose money at the end of it all. That means whatever amount of profit it'd take to motivate someone to work full time on managing the enterprise also has to be split over a tiny number of cars.

Finally, small-run manufacturing is expensive (see above), but you don't make any money until AFTER you've made and sold the cars, which can make paying your suppliers hard. Depending on how they funded the start-up costs, there may be loans or other investors that have to be paid back, too.
>>
>>15877521
Yeah, if you're starting from scratch. I'm talking about 40 year old replicas built on old Caddy/Lincoln chassis.

Does this mean in 30 years Fieros with body kits will be worth something?
>>
>>15877553
Hmm, then it's definitely not that. It's probably limited supply and adequate demand from the wealthy aristocrat cosplay market.

Or not a single one has ever sold at that price, and it's an elaborate game of KNOW WHAT I GOT paired with the "cost me $60k to build it forty years ago, therefore sale price is $70k even if no one in their right mind would ever pay that" that plagues armslist.
>>
>>15877583
Are there that many Truman Era cosplayers out there? Not only are there always a handful on eBay, there are several enthusiast websites that trade these things.

Yes, I understand that they are really pretty, but they seem largely useless as anything but a garage display.
>>
The genuine items sell for about $550,000.
>>
>>15877602
Well, if they're actually selling, then not only are there that many Truman Era cosplayers out there, but a lot of them have $70k to spend on pretty garage displays.

Which I guess is kind of a tautological answer to your question ("How are they worth 70k? Because people apparently buy 'em for 70k. Why do they buy them for 70k? Because they're worth 70k!"). Probably the only answer is lots of people think they're cool (I do), and enough of them think they're $70k worth of cool (I don't) to buy up the entire supply at that price.

>>15877623
That would do it, too. It's not $70k; it's 90% off.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.