[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's bad about driving automatic automatic? What's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9

File: marc-sparks-stickshift.jpg (555KB, 1037x808px) Image search: [Google]
marc-sparks-stickshift.jpg
555KB, 1037x808px
What's bad about driving automatic automatic?
What's so great about driving manual/stick?
>>
Nothing.
It's fun.
>>
Yuros can't have big engines or fast cars, so they need something to feel smug about.
>>
>>15870072
manual is just more difficult because it involves more input from the driver. Its unlikely that a fourteen year old with no driving experience would be able to drive a manual car well.
>>
Honestly I just like feeling more connected to the drivetrain.

Also manuals are typically lighter so my shitbox can feel more like a racecar.

That's it, man
>>
Manual is for people who want to have a better connection with the car and control it better, auto is for people who want to cruise comfily
>>
Driving an automatic attracts adult females getting a college degree in STEM and has a future ahead of them. Driving a dirt bike sounding stick shift shitbox attracts degenerate females with Daddy issues.
>>
>>15870121
So what you're saying is you prefer women who don't put out and will want to wear the pants in the family?
>>
>>15870127

No I would ride public transit if I wanted that
>>
>>15870121
Back in high school, girls preferred guys that drove stick after getting over the initial amazement of a car.
>>
>>15870139

>back in high school

Just confirming that people who drive their stick shift shitboxes are manchilds who wish they were still in high school.

It's okay that you dropped out of community college and work general labor.
>>
>>15870146
What's with all this projection? Did a girl leave you for a guy that drives stick or something?
>>
>>15870100
In your country, maybe.
>>
File: 1474497904508.jpg (81KB, 720x579px) Image search: [Google]
1474497904508.jpg
81KB, 720x579px
>>15870100

>driving a standard
>hard

What degenerate country do you live in?
>>
>>15870130
The point I'm making is that college educated women do exactly that, the majority of them are bitches have exaggerated expectations and are looking for someone who somehow magically makes more than them that they can then dominate and hold their pussy over them.

And if they're not like that straight out of college most of them turn that way after their first divorce.
>>
Nothing
Cheaper in new cars, anti theft device, muh mpgs
>>
>>15870186
I think he just meant harder than an automatic
>>
>>15870188
>>>/r9k/

Feminists aren't college educated. Sure they get meme degrees, but I'm talking about real women. I bet you also believe every women has had another man's cum on their face. I've been to your containment board.
>>
I like manual because it doesn't have a torque converter, also I can drop the clutch/do clutch kicks to break the ass end free which is useful.

Autos are nice fur cruising around tho, also they are a lot cheaper to pick up aftermarket, can pick up a fresh 4l60 fur 200 bucks while a beat to hell t56 is like 1500
>>
Sometimes I'm just lazy as fuck and don't want to deal with rowing through gears.

But yeah it's more fun
>>
>>15870072
Older slushbox automatics feel shit. CVT is shit. Newer slushboxes and DCT automagic are breddy gud.

Manual is just manual. Simple, gets the job done, and ethnics can't successfully carjack you. Some are more durable than others.
>>
Just based on my own experiences:

Pros of driving automatic:

-can drive drunk with minimal effort
-can get head (assuming the vehicle is big enough)

Pros of driving manual:

-generally/genuinely more fun, especially if its a powerful vehicle

In my opinion, you should stop giving a shit about what people on the internet say. They don't have to deal with the consequences of your decisions, you do. So do what you want/need to do and roll with it.
>>
>>15870146
I'm a cc dropout manchild who works in a skilled trade tyvm. no interest in being in high school again though, fuck that.
>>
Never drove a manual here, how are they in stop and go traffic? Seems like it would be a pain to shift from neutral and first all the time
>>
>>15870753
It all depends on the driver. It's worth it for some even if they live in a populated city.
>>
>>15870753
Depends on you. That's pretty much the common con for most people. "Oh but it's such a pain to do in stop and go traffic lol. :^)". Sure, true. Compared to an automatic it's going to be more work.
Some people really don't mind though and don't find it that big of a deal.
It probably why most people go to them in the USA. A lot of people have that 9-5 job so they're always in rush hour.
>>
>>15870753
>>15870804
On a side note, if stop-and-go is your only con then it's probably worth to deal with it. Or just take detours.
Personally I'd rather take the longer route where I don't have to stop. Even if there's no difference in time I just hate not constantly moving.
>>
File: Rage.jpg (47KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Rage.jpg
47KB, 500x500px
>>15870072
>What's so great about driving manual/stick?

It makes the automatic drivers rage.
>>
>>15870072
>autotragic
more low end torque, faster shifts (sometimes), less effort
>manuel
more engaging, better MPGs, better performance on the touge
>>
Auto - easy, no effort, can be faster shifting and more torque on take off. Doesn't handle as much abuse, computer does not know what you want so sometimes it doesn't do what you intended
Manual - bit more robust if you drive it right, push starting, you have full control of how it behaves. Lots more involved to drive, you can screw up more badly than the computer in an auto will.

Personally I prefer no transmission for comfort(electric). But I'll drive anything I need to. It's not a big deal which you drive, and auto has flooded the market.
>>
>>15872134
No transmission? The electric cars have no transmission?
>>
>>15870072
Auto's don't know what you want.
>If you're in freeway traffic and want to overtake someone quickly and get back into your lane
In an auto you increase acceleration, either flooring it or gently increasing, either way, it's less efficient than dropping a gear, revving high and nipping past and getting back into your lane.

The other problem with auto is the easiness. People who have never taken a lesson can sometimes get their licenses if the stars align. Similarly, other shitty drivers (see: females) can zone out, text and otherwise drive on 'autopilot', adjusting the position of the steering wheel occasionally using peripheral vision, but never even looking at their surroundings.
In a manual, most people learn never to text and drive. Having each hand perform a different function eventually builds a feeling of which hand is 'right' or 'wrong' for the task, and there is always the pressure of maybe having to shift or steer at some point. Auto drivers can use either hand to steer and fuck around, without the urge or need to use their other hand at any time.

Driving can be fun or boring in auto or a manual, it's what you make of it. Manual is quite satisfying though, doing perfect shifts or pulls.
>>
>>15872267
not that anon, and I'm not super well versed in the mechanism behind it, but from what I know
electric cars have one extremely tall 'gear', essentially. Without a combustion engine to match revs with the wheels, speed is dependant on power output from the electric engine that drives the wheels.
>>
>>15872300
>>15872267
allcars have a transmission, he just means they have no gearbox
>>
>>15872494
That was the confusing part. Can't see a car without a transmission. Thanks.
>>
It's fucking lighter stupid
>>
>>15872494
Some electric cars don't have transmissions, they have individual electric motors mounted singly for each driven wheel
>>
>>15872702
what the fuck really?
>>
>>15872705
I believe the Regera when driven in all-electric mode does this

and if you can fit in the motors, why lose efficiency on drivetrain losses when you can couple the motors to the wheels directly
>>
>>15872717
just seems like if any of the individual motors fail it could cause some fuckery, but I guess if Koeniggggsenisseggsegnignigsegigisegcc can make it work then it must be fine
>>
>>15872728
i mean its no worse than having your driveshaft fall out or melting out your head gasket

arguably better since you can always limp home on one wheel
>>
>>15870121
Neither attracts any women because women who aren't car nerds don't give a fuck as long as your car is comfy and makes you look rich

>i have a corolla, with an auto, ladies check this out
>no leave that guy with the manual BMW M3 alone i have the gentleman's transmission he's a luddite
>friendzoned again
>>
File: 1414546228917.jpg (14KB, 247x248px) Image search: [Google]
1414546228917.jpg
14KB, 247x248px
>>15870201
>real women
good one m8
>>
Automatic is for nu-male cucks
>>
>>15870080

TLDR

Yuro's cant into automatics. They had a history of any automatic performance car with failing transmissions. Even an auto trans in a Ferrari just breaks when there is pretty much no torque greater than any 7 liter American cars and trucks. They did not have an auto with overdrive since the early 90's, now they are compensating that just so the transmission is 8-9 speed but not even close to having the last gear smaller than an 80's TH200R4.
>>
File: 1442651788950.jpg (25KB, 540x329px) Image search: [Google]
1442651788950.jpg
25KB, 540x329px
I legitimately don't like manuals.

Paddle shifting gives you all the control, even better response, and none of the cumbersome bullshit.
>>
Best thing about having a stick is not having to hold the hand of the bitch you're trying to fuck.
>>
>>15872896
Geared for autobahn dipshit, not for shitting up the motorways at 80km/h
>>15872905
Fucken unco cunt
>>
>>15870100
>Its unlikely that a fourteen year old with no driving experience would be able to drive a manual car well.
Speak for yourself, cuck.
I learned to drive when I was 12, dipshit. I know a kid who drives since he was 8 and he's 14 now, he lives in a small village so the cops don't give him shit.
Not my fault that amerifats are absolutely retarded when it comes to driving.
>>
>>15870080
>>15872896
>Yuros
>implying pretty much every country in the world doesn't have manual as the default transmission in their car
>>
>>15872928
>Fucken unco cunt

I actually have no idea what this means.
>>
>>15872937
>what is urban dic
I just learned it means uncoordinated
so you're not just retarded when it comes to driving, you're also retarded when it comes to googling
>>
File: 1401302893882.gif (2MB, 380x286px) Image search: [Google]
1401302893882.gif
2MB, 380x286px
>>15872928
>Geared for autobahn dipshit

My W126 is geared for the autobahn just as much as it gets 20 mpg at that fucking speed.
>>
Nothing
Nothing, you're literally working harder just to be "cool"
>>
>>15872956
>this is what murifats believe
top kek
the only autos I can respect are DSGs
>>
>>15872896

- AT adds another 15% on top of the average euro shitbox price
- AT in everage euro shitbox is still 4 speed
- AT doesn't like tiny euro engines, loss of power is quite dramatic
- AT raises fuel consumption for at least 20%
- AT is hard to fix in Europe, there's very few shops that deal with that and their work is subpar and very expensive
>>
>>15872944
Coordination has nothing to do with it.

Most of /o/ drives shitboxes. Most of you have never been in a car that has a proper automatic. Yeah, no shit. The automatic that you drove from the 90s is going to feel like shit because it's a slushbox. Modern autos actually perform well enough on their own, and often beat comparable manual setups on drag times. Paddles make them perform measurably better than manual counterparts regardless of the situation because the gear changes happen in a fraction of a second.

Paddle controlled automatics are literally the control of a manual, and the nearly instantaneous shifting of automatics. It's not physically possible to shift a stick that fast. It's very noticeable when going up hills. You can keep your engine locked in the power band. If your system is correctly setup, you can barely even feel it let off, whereas with a manual there's a definite lull in acceleration, no matter how skilled of a driver is behind the wheel.

Then, when you get stuck in city traffic, you can just flip the car to full auto mode and space the fuck out. It's win win all around.

You can like the tactile sensation of shifting, but high end automatics with good software running them are objectively better performing.
>>
>>15872956
>working harder
Kek,
> he thinks a decades old computer will know the road condition better than the driver
I bet you also have cvt, what a cuck
>>
>>15873021
Yep high end auto > manuels but do you honestly think most shitposters here have dct? No, just regular slushbox/cvt
>>
>>15873021
>Then, when you get stuck in city traffic, you can just flip the car to full auto mode and space the fuck out. It's win win all around.
Sounds like the kind of thing that causes accidents.
Thanks but no thanks, I'll keep driving my manual. The only thing I would trade it for is another manual but one that has a gated shifter.
>>
>>15873051
DCT isn't an automatic, it's a robotized transmission.
>>
>>15873059
So automatic?
>>
>>15873064
There's a difference, it has clutches like a manual. On a mechanical level, it's closer to a manual than to an auto.
>>
>>15873053
I don't text or anything, but if I'm stuck in gridlock, you bet your ass I'm turning on full auto, and only using the brake to let the car creep along. I'm not oblivious, I'm just not actively scanning my mirrors and checking my blind spots.

Might listen to a talk show or something, which I normally don't do when driving. That's about as far as I go.
>>
File: 1474145431927.png (44KB, 658x662px) Image search: [Google]
1474145431927.png
44KB, 658x662px
>>15870753
It's really not that bad. I use my car for courier work and end up in bumper to bumper traffic daily, it's no big deal. I only get frustrated because I'm impatient and I want people to FUCKING MOVE ALREADY.

>tfw so used to driving manual when you drive an automatic you instinctively go to push the clutch and slam on the brake with your left foot and almost knock your teeth out on the steering wheel
>>
File: Capture.png (42KB, 694x399px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
42KB, 694x399px
well you didn't say DCT so
>>
File: 137952.png (292KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
137952.png
292KB, 1080x1920px
>>15873059
>>
>>15873281
>it can be described as 2 manuels
yout BTFO'd yourself
it's fundamentally different from autos
>>
>>15873288
What in the "is a type of automatic transmision" you didnt understand?
>>
My automatic is slow, jumpy, doesn't know what gear I want it to be in (which as a result kills my mpg)

Manuals are faster to shift, I know what gear I want to be in and I can be in said gear (helping my mpg)

And because racekar
>>
>>15873139
>
>tfw so used to driving manual when you drive an automatic you instinctively go to push the clutch and slam on the brake with your left foot and almost knock your teeth out on the steering wheel

I did that the first week I went from DD'ing a manual to DD'ing an auto. Was not fun.
>>
>>15873350
more like automated
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.