[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Test drive and mechanic check up?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: mechanic-009.jpg (623KB, 900x598px) Image search: [Google]
mechanic-009.jpg
623KB, 900x598px
So I'm looking at a few cars from private sellers. I'm just curious about how you go about test driving the car and having your mechanic look at it.

I'm going with a friend, so would I test drive it with the owner in the front passenger seat and my friend in the back? Say I like the car and I take the next step of having my mechanic look at it. Do the owner and I agree on an appointment time with a mechanic, then have him drive the car there, I meet him there and I pay for the check up?

This is my first time doing this, so I'm just trying to learn the convention.
>>
bumping because im curious also
>>
>>15860335
You must first ask the seller if he's cool with you having the car inspected alot of private sellers aren't okay with that. I wouldn't take your friend with you on the test drive just have it be you two and leave your friend at the location you guys met up. After that once you return you guys talk price and decide a meet up time for the mechanic or go straight there if the test drive goes well.
>>
>>15861001
I only say leave your friend because the seller might feel uncomfortable and might not want the 2 of you asking questions during the test drive about the car. No unessessary feed back you know?
>>
>>15861001
Why wouldn't a private seller want their car inspected? Is it because they're usually trying to hide something, or do they think the buyer has a deal with the mechanic, so that he "finds" things wrong with the car?

And by friend, I mean my step dad.

If we go straight to the mechanic, we'll probably be waiting several hours for an opening, right?

>>15861004
I don't understand what you mean. Personally, I just want to listen to the car to make sure I'm not hearing any weird sounds. But why would the seller not want us asking questions during the drive?
>>
>>15861025
It might be his daily driver and doesn't like the idea of not having his car for a few hours.

Or more likely he would just wait for another buyer who won't go to a mechanic first. If he's got any kind of interest he has the power to refuse.
>>
All depends on the seller. I've viewed quite a few cars and its been a mix of sellers wanting to drive, sit in the front, sit in the back and occasionally just give me the keys.

I usually bring a friend as its easy to miss something. There are so many things to check while driving and parked I would print off a list from an online source.

Also visit a owners club online to see what the main issues are with the car and keep an eye out. There are some cars I wouldn't bother viewing due to the issues being reported by owners.

Test drive a few of that type of car, you will quickly recognise an odd sound or handling if you compare. Think of it as buying someone else's trash, there is a reason they don't want it and there is always another to buy so don't rush the sale.

Oh, and be put on the charm with the seller. One of you looks over the car and the other chats nicely. Then rotate duties. I've bought cars plenty of times under what others have offered as the sellers liked and trusted me.

Lastly.. . why not book a mobile mechanic. It costs about 150 so may not be worth it if the car is only a few grand. Once you see what they check, you Will be more confident to do it yourself.
>>
>>15861025
Yes they are trying to hide something
>>15861025
You missed my point. I'm telling you not to bring your friend on the test drive with you just have it be YOU and HIM if I was selling a car I'd feel uncomfortable having two people gank me with questions while your driving the vehicle I own. If it's just you and the seller you have a chance to build a relationship and have a meaningful conversation about the vehicle
>>
>>15861025
I let my friend do all the negotiations, and even had him pretend the car was for him. Had him hold onto the cash and do everything. Got me -$1k off listing price (car was up for $4300)
>>
I had a buyer take our car to the shop since he didnt believe me that it needed new tires and an alignment to fix a vibration. I was fine with it since I had nothing to hide and he was paying for it, and they told him literally the same thing I told him, "tires are shit, everything else is fine" and tried to sell him tires. He ended up buying the car.
>>
>>15860335
Also buy a elm327 scan tool and see if they have reset the codes to hide something! You can use it to bargain if there is codes. My car had a thermostat code the seller had cleared and I got 200$ off the price and fixed it later for 30$.
>>
>>15861892
>there is always another to buy so don't rush the sale
There isn't, sadly. There's about 170 of the car in question for sale in the entire country, most of which don't qualify due to budget restraints or lack of quality.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.