[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Crown Vic / P71 / Town Car Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 00V0V_axMMG1TRrWt_600x450.jpg (33KB, 600x369px) Image search: [Google]
00V0V_axMMG1TRrWt_600x450.jpg
33KB, 600x369px
Just bought my first sedan today:
2003 P71 Police Interceptor
118,000 miles
All original

Anything I should be aware of? Any tips? It lacks a dash and a radio, I need to fix that so suggestions are cool. I'm used to SUVs, never actually driven a sedan before but it rides very nicely.

Post your Vics.
>>
Should last many years. Change all fluids including rear end lube which most people ignore.

To harvest a dash, you should bring a 1/4" drive socket set, a universal joint, and some extensions. Make sure you have a 7mm socket because Ford uses many 7mm fasteners.

Do you mean the entire dash or just part of it?

Check Ebay and Craigslist for people parting their shit out. I get better Ebay prices on many parts than the best my local salvages will do, and I've been wrenching in the same area for thirty+ years.

Check Crown Vic and general Ford forums. Someone probably has an electronic copy of the factory manual that shows all the screw locations. If not, your dealer parts dept can print off the exploded view and many small parts are decently priced at dealers.
>>
PTSD is an invention of the Jews to make me give more money to the goverment.
>>
You can replace the radio with any aftermarket unit and http://www.scosche.com/ make adapter harnesses for no-cut installation. I always get USB flash drive compatible units since I torrent my music.
>>
Don't expect it to last more than a couple years of daily driving. FYI the actual milage of that car might as well be triple what the odometer says due to police idling it.

The only good thing about these are they are cheap, guaranteed to last a couple years, and they are fun as hell if they come with the cop motors.
>>
>>15857043
>PTSD is an invention of the Jews to make me give more money to the goverment.

Provably not. Please troll better or go to reddit because your post is far below bottom tier summerfag quality.
>>
File: oops.jpg (62KB, 480x654px) Image search: [Google]
oops.jpg
62KB, 480x654px
>>15857057
>Don't expect it to last more than a couple years of daily driving. FYI the actual milage of that car might as well be triple what the odometer says due to police idling it.
I don't understand the idling concerns. They included an idle meter on 05+ models for service intervals.

It isn't under load. It isn't overheating. The motor has accommodations for fleet use.

Worst case scenario you replace the 4.6. That isn't the entire car.

Friend has had an 04 CVPI with a diablo tune, full exhaust, intake, and a few other goodies since highschool. That was 4 years ago.
>Just realized it has been 5 years since we graduated

He beats the living piss out of it. He has had the transmission rebuilt as he enjoys a good neutral drop.
>>
>>15857057
>come with the cop motors
Now I see how little you truly know.

Disregard this guy OP.
>>
>>15857036
I fucked up, I meant center console. I am retard.

>>15857254
Does it not come with the original motor?
>>
My ABS light is on, is this a normal thing?
>>
>>15857961
yes, cops are typically very hard on brake systems
>>
>>15856926
03 is the last time any major changes were made to the panther platform IIRC.

make sure to get the haynes repair manual for it. it should still work fine for the police cruiser
>>
Hey OP, just bought an 03 Merc myself. Couple of things I learned while looking:

This guy >>15857036 is not joking about the fluids. I looked at an 03 LX Vic and passed on it because the diff apparently never got servicing, and had dumped all of it's fluid at some point.

Dash shouldn't be hard to find. The Mercury from the same year is literally the same car with a slightly different set of lights, so be sure to check for Grand Marquis at your salvage yard or on Ebay. For a radio, Walmart has a unit that only does FM and Bluetooth/USB/3.5mm jack for $20. If you absolutely have to have the original Ford radio, it's actually a pretty nice unit.

Some cool things you can add are the overhead console if you can find it cheap (going for about 100 on ebay) but they're a pain in the ass to install, from what I've heard. Nicer seats are out there too, I think you're limited to 03/04 but I could be wrong, double check that. If you've got the P71 you've already got dual exhaust, so you shouldn't worry about dropping cash on that... yet.

>>15857254 Is right again. The motor in the cop car is the same 4.6 literally every other Panther from that year and about every year after had, with the exception of the Maruader which you don't need to worry about.

>>15858533 Is also right. Haynes is your friend; just got mine the other day and the first chapter literally says "change all the fluids first." He's also right about 03 being the last real upgrade to the Panther, which is a good and bad thing. You've got the first year of the last iteration of the last frame-on-body sedan sold in the US, but you also get all the electrical gremlins. Cop cars shouldn't have the problem, since they got serviced regularly, but be aware.
>>
Thanks for the replies guys, I know a bit about cars but literally nothing about radios and what not.

If I got this:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/XO-Vision-XD107BT-Car-Stereo-MP3-FM-Receiver-with-Bluetooth/46488438

How do I know what harness I would need?
>>
>>15859218
Considering yours was presumably ripped out... good question. You might have to start completely over from scratch.

Out of curiousity, how much did you pay?
>>
>>15859556
The harness or wires and stuff is still in there, antenna wire is still there, I'm just not sure where to start on a converter. They just pulled the head out, didn't gut it

I paid $2100
>>
File: IMG_20160921_022514655.jpg (2MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160921_022514655.jpg
2MB, 4320x2432px
>>15859667
Here's what I've got
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.