[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

we all know older mechanical diesels can run a million miles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: dodge turbo.jpg (78KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
dodge turbo.jpg
78KB, 800x600px
we all know older mechanical diesels can run a million miles before they are totally worn out and need a rebuild. but are there any gasoline engines that can do this?

what gas engines can take this mileage without things like timing chain wear, worn rings, bearing etc?
is the Ford 300 the only one?
>>
Every engine is different and experiences different conditions. So its hard to say
>>
>>15839723
Yeah that ford engine will last, bit you'll have to replace everything else several times
>>
>>15839738
just assume the maintenance schedule is followed
>>
>>15839723
Volvo B18
>>
>>15839750
Then pretty damn long
>>
>>15839723
A couple months ago toyota made a big deal about a guy who ran 1 million miles on a 2007 tundra with only bare maintenance and changing the timing chain only once or twice. He worked for an oil company running small parts so the vast majority of them were ideal highway miles.
>>
>>15839784
yeah but a ford 300 has gears
pretty hard to improve on gears
>>
>>15839788
no one cares about your autistic gear fetish, if it works it works and clearly that tundra was doing something right
>>
>>15839788
sorry, I don't know many cars that run timing gears. I thought the tundra was relevant though
>>
>>15839784

There is more chevys that do that as well. I think most of them are the lt motors in the trucks
>>
>>15839723
Chevy 350s are pretty good. But most V8s and I6s will go a million miles as long as they are properly maintained.
>>
>>15839816
i have never seen a high mile 350 that did not have worn rings
>>
>>15839723
AMC 4.0 and Toyota 2AZ
>>
>>15839816
The tree-fiddy is average at best. When you make umteen million of them, a few are going to be on the upper end of the curve and have an exceptional service life. In the case of the rest, parts are plentiful, because junkyards are full of them.
>>
>>15839826
>>15841079

Seriously, by 200k most sbc's could use a freshening up

My old 1500 smoked like a chimney at 220k, then one day it decided to window the block.
>>
File: VL-Turbo-Overview.jpg (52KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
VL-Turbo-Overview.jpg
52KB, 640x480px
RB30 will outlast whatever car it's in, as long as you do the usual maintenance.
>>
>>15841344
Our old pickup had 376k on the 350 before finally calling it quits down the freeway with about 6500lbs of wood in the back. The 327 in my uncle's Caprice has over 400k on it, gutless but hasn't given up yet. I've known a few people with the iron block ls's to get over 500/600k before needing rebuilds too.
>>
>>15839723
Volvo Red Block.
>>
>>15841581

Aye b230f redblock will.
>>
every inline 6 ever is nearly bulletproof, literally the god configuration. Too bad people want to run daily 40psi boost and blow em up
>>
Ford's 5.0 is so underpowered, people have been taking the stock blocks to double the horsepower and more without issue for years.
The only problem is they've been doing that, so no Ford 5.0 is fucking stock, and none of them meet 200k without some fucking trash redneck modifying them.

I would also go for the earlier 4.6Ls, those were also weak as fuck and those cars never stop running, but it helps that a lot of examples are in constantly running taxi cabs and police cruisers. Since that constant oil and lack of cold starts helps the longevity, so it is a bit biased.
Once they started getting more power though, in their stock form the plastic thermostat housing couldn't take the pressure so any higher horsepower variant is junk.

Yes I'm biased to ford, sue me.
>>
>>15842432
Do you happen to know how similar the American Ford 5.0L and Australian Ford 5.0L engines are?
>>
The petrol Mercedes 5 and 6 cyl last a long time too.
>>
File: fa25116e1a[1].png (56KB, 1453x368px) Image search: [Google]
fa25116e1a[1].png
56KB, 1453x368px
>>15842507

I hate to refer you to a wikipedia page, but I really can't summarize it in a post for you well enough.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_335_engine#302_Cleveland

Here's something cool though, 351C journals are more desirable because they can take more of a beating than Windsor journals.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.