[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Haggling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 5ea31d830a0d028a009ad840ad9ac867.jpg (275KB, 2560x1263px) Image search: [Google]
5ea31d830a0d028a009ad840ad9ac867.jpg
275KB, 2560x1263px
So i'm looking around for a used car and i'm pretty new to this. I did some research on what i wanted but one thing i don't know a lot about is haggling for a car sale.

So how have you guys haggled down the price at a private sale or dealership? What kind of dealer shennanigans & tactics should i be wary about?

How do i make sure i'm getting a good deal on my end?
>>
So no one here's ever haggled a car? I knew you fuckers were low on social skills but damn.
>>
File: dangerous_Twingo.jpg (62KB, 449x600px) Image search: [Google]
dangerous_Twingo.jpg
62KB, 449x600px
>>15831817
Mention other cars at other dealers with printed copies, ask to speak with sales manager if salesman does not budge on price. Go in with a nice downpayment to show you are serious, walk away if you must. They will call back, now leave and never return
>>
I fucking hate haggling. Just give me a flat fucking price.
>>
>>15831873
>one thing i don't know a lot about is haggling for a car sale.
looks like you're the one who's low on social skills buddy
>>
I haggle every single time. The best moment is when you both know that the next speaker will lose and just stare each other for 20 minutes in complete silence.
>>
If you know the car's going to need certain maintenance can you use that to drop the price? Is it just as simple as stating it or is there more to it?

What about maintenance records, do used car dealerships usually have those?
>>
>>15831910
Yeah, yeah you got me. Now what do you know about getting a good deal?
>>
>>15831927
No one has maintenance records outside of granpas selling their 20 years old 70k miles buick.
>>
>>15831889
When you say a nice downpayment are we talking like 1/3rd of the car's value?

When they call back what kind of deal will they usually drop to?
>>
Is it worth paying a mechanic to come and do an inspection before buying?
>>
>>15831947
With higher end cars that have more known problems, ie bmw 7 & 5 series mechatronics sleeve issues or Audi a8's timing belt/ tensioners needing replacement every 90k miles.

Usually without record of that these cars need a serious chunk of work right away. Can't stuff like that be used against a seller?
>>
>>15831977
As a rule of thumb if it's expensive I have it inspected before purchase as all the point can be used as leverage. If it's a 800$ tin can I don't bother as everything will need to be replaced anyway.
>>
>>15831873
It's a relatively slow board. Waiting 15 minutes before bumping is unnecessary.

>>15831937
On sub $1,500 vehicles just list off things that'll need to be done to make it road worthy. NO TIRE KICKERS

Best suggestion I can give you is make small talk with the owner. Get him to like you.

Some people are over priced by quite a bit. Some people are under. Find out why.

I've never purchased from a dealership. Only private sales.

Best I've done is with my 87 Z31 Turbo with 76,XXX
>Asking 6,500
>Paid 3,900

Older gentleman didn't know a lot about the Z31. He was the original owner and it was his first new car. I pretty much regurgitated Wiki and what I've been told here. I was being picky, told him I'm not sure how I feel about red, kind of bummed he swapped out the digital cluster, told him I was looking for a weekend / autocross car and the highway tires he just put on don't suit my needs, and told him the bushings are worn out and I'll be changing those. Complimented him on the interior, the condition of the paint, and that he had service records. Kept going back to the paint, the cluster, and the tires.

He said he'd do 4,500 as I seem to know a lot about the car and he feels I'd continue to take care of it. I mentioned I'm going to end up removing the highway tires, I'd have to locate a digital dash, and I'm still unsure as to how I feel about red. Told him if the price is right I'd buy it or I'll wait it out for a different example.

I said I'd do 4,000 right now. He mentioned if I cleaned his gutters he'd do 3,900. Paid the man and went home to get my ladder and my brother so I could drive it home.

If I wasn't at my data cap I'd upload a picture of my pride and joy.
>>
>>15832075
Nice that those worked for you but l personally wouldn't care (=affect price) over things the buyer doesn't like about the car. However things that are Needed carry more weight.

lf the car needs any kind of repairs, has rust or other major body damage, is missing winter tires/wheels (if applicable), is not registered or has other payments these all should affect price. lf there is zero history on the car that's a huge question mark and l've personally haggled several hundreds off price just on that.

l suppose if you openly let the seller know you like the car and reason the price drops on things the car Needs and on risks it carries that can result into a bargain.

You can also ask the seller about the cars condition and some general mechanical questions and if they don't know or understand about that you can act like you know more than they do.

Overall the point is not to trick the seller or to be a good actor. Reason the price you are offering and stand your ground. lf the seller has no other justification for their askin price other than they want money in pocket they will budge or just call it off and try with someone else.
>>
>>15832075
>>15832221

Thanks for all the info Anons, i appreciate it.
>>
The easiest way is to use an app like CarGurus or anything similar that displays all the cars you are looking for within the state or area you are in.

Find one that is a better deal than the one you are negotiating for and use that against them.

Of course nothing beats car knowledge. Know about the car you are driving, test drive it, carefully look through everything and find anything you can use against them such as a scratch. Common sense stuff.

Also if you are buying from a dealership be wary of "Dealer handling" and registration and taxes.
>>
>>15832484
>a scratch
If you show up to check out my 2,500 shitbox and point out the scratch on the plastic rocker cover I've going to increase my price.

Start telling me about the better deal two cities over? Go buy that one.

Fuck you. I've dealt with your kind and you're nothing but a waste of time.
>Well there's a better one cheaper in Saginaw
>You didn't mention this scratch in your advertisement
>There's a little corrosion here on this aluminum wheel you didn't mention

God. It's a winter beater. I mentioned in the description it isn't perfect.

If you're talking about buying from a dealership then maybe mentioning the better deal two cities over will help your case. LPG had mentioned that they'll try and get the sale over another stealership if necessary.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.