[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

1000€ car, where are the Europoors?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: p8.jpg (67KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
p8.jpg
67KB, 640x480px
The three contestants are:

2001 VW Lupo 1,4 MPI
1992 Toyota Starlet 1.3 XLi (P8)
1997 Honda Civic 1.4i S (6th Gen, 3-Door Hatchback)

It's for my girlfriend and will only be used in and around a bigger city. She's not that talented when it comes to driving, but she's not a car abuser by definition.

Which and why?
>>
>>15824109
Mileage on each? Does any of those need work done to it, or new tires or something?
Assuming you're in Germany, I'd say Lupo. Most recent of the three, parts aplenty. The Yota and Honduh might be more less prone to failure, but some parts can be hard to come by due to the sheer age and fewer exemplars of those.
>>
i would just pick the safest one anon
So not a 30-year old starlet
>>
>>15824124
Honda ~220.000km
Lupo ~200.000km
Starlet ~190.000km

All three have a fresh safety inspection valid for the next 2 years. Germany ist korrekt.

I allready drove a very similar Honda and the exact same Toyota and both are very decent cars, espacially when it comes to fuel consumption.

The only Lupo I ever drove was a GTI, which is fun, but too expensive.

>>15824126

Yeah i know what you're thinking, but my aunt drove her Starlet P8 for nearly 25 years. It worked perfectly until some idiot drove into the parked car.
>>
>>15824148
>nearing 200k

jesus fuck.
look for rust. the older ones are more prone to have it.

look after the head gasket. it should've been done at some point (rechnung!), otherwise at 200k you're sitting on a time bomb

pick either lupo or starlet, the one with ideally no immediate material faults and service history
>>
>>15824271

Thanks for the advices.

Starlet is sold by a dealership and got a new timing belt a few thousand km ago. It had only two owners before, the last one was born in 1949.

The Lupo has a rather dirty interior and I'm still waiting for a response from the private seller regarding service and problems.
>>
File: golf.png (571KB, 1132x573px) Image search: [Google]
golf.png
571KB, 1132x573px
>>15824109
Do you hate her? Get her something at least remotely nice
>>
File: View-Front-Audi-A4-B5.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
View-Front-Audi-A4-B5.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
>>15824109

VW Golf III 1.6 petrol, VW Golf IV 1.6 petrol, VW Bora 1.6 petrol, VW Passat B5 1.6 petrol, VW Polo 1.0 petrol

Opel Astra H 1.6 petrol

Ford Focus 1.6 petrol or Fiesta 1.2 petrol or Mondeo 2nd gen 1.6 petrol

Whichever of these cars you will go for, they still have alot of life left in them.

Personally, I'd go for an Audi A4 B5 with the 1.6 petrol engine. A neighbour of mine got one for his daughter, she's a new driver, first time car owner.
The guy says that the car, whilst far from the most luxurious car on the market, is an incredibly sturdy, and practical car. And it's far less embarassing on the roads, compared to other cars in the under 1.000 euros sector.
It's slow, yes, but that is the only argument that goes against it. Maintainance is dirt cheap because come on, who will install new replacement parts on an old Audi ? And scrapyards are full and aplenty with spare parts.
And it's practical, 4 doors and an actual boot.
And it's generally reliable.

So yes, the best car 1.000 euros can buy is an Audi A4 B5.
>>
>>15824392

I don't hate her so much to buy her a Golf IV from Lithuania. Havin tinkered with Golf I-V the IV wins the price for beeing the most awful to repair, especially the VR5/VR6 ones. The TDI engines in the Mk. IV are great, but she doesn't need a diesel at all.

btw: Nothing against Lithuania, i once had a GF from their, hottest so far.

>>15824453

If it was a all purpose car driving on country roads and the motorway a Golf or Passat/A4 would be the better choice.

But it will be driven 95% in a crowded city with a big lack of parking space and so on. She's still studiying so running costs and fuel economy shouldn't be forgotten.

I've driven the 1.6 in the Golf IV and the Passat B5. While it's a weak engine in the Golf it totally sucked in the Passat and still needed 8-9l/100km.

It's crucial to find a car with an at least 18 month valid safety inspection (Hauptuntersuchung aka "TÜV"), 24 months would be better. I don't have the time to redo brakes, wheel bearing, lights, head gasket, timing belt and who knows what.
>>
File: $_20.jpg (130KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
$_20.jpg
130KB, 800x600px
>>15824529

Then go for the Golf 3, Opel Corsa, Ford Fiesta, VW Polo, or the Mazda 323..

This Golf here costs a pigly 250 euros, it has a 1.6 petrol 75 bhp engine, and the add says it's got just 250.000 km, which I sort of doubt.
>>
File: 1442853825289.jpg (309KB, 1440x1086px) Image search: [Google]
1442853825289.jpg
309KB, 1440x1086px
2 of these
>>
murrican here

Buying my first car for $1000, how long should I expect it to last?
>>
>>15824719
For however long you feel the maintenance/repair costs are worth it.
>>
Look for a Golf 2 with automatic. They can be had pretty cheap. I drive an Audi 80 which cost me 1200 and only has 10200 km. Look for cars with few, old preowners.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.